Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I refunded it when it first came out on EA, it seemed to double down on the punitive aspect where things get harder if you're a scrub, but less challenging if you're good, and not in the sense that better players have an easier time but that better players get the easier and weaker versions of everything, even though they're the ones who could use an additional challenge. Quite possible they redesigned it since then though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Glad to hear Rogue Legacy 2 is good, I really liked the first one and felt like no one talked about the sequel in Early Access

Yeah it really is weird how little buzz it's been getting for a game that's sitting at Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam. I think a lot of is, like I said, it's hard to put into words exactly *why* it's better than the first because while there are a ton of improvements, they're all pretty incremental.

But yeah right now it's the game that I feel the strongest draw to go back to, by far.

Khanstant posted:

I refunded it when it first came out on EA, it seemed to double down on the punitive aspect where things get harder if you're a scrub, but less challenging if you're good, and not in the sense that better players have an easier time but that better players get the easier and weaker versions of everything, even though they're the ones who could use an additional challenge. Quite possible they redesigned it since then though.

Hmm I'm trying to think if I've felt this...to me it has the same difficulty pacing as the first. It's quite linear for a rogue-like but I don't dislike that. If anything I like knowing where to go, games like Dead Cells can be frustrating to get started for me because I feel like there's just no guidance at all in terms of how I should be progressing through.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Diminishing returns on sequels

Spelunky 2 was good but there's not much to talk about unless you're already hyperfocused on that game

(Also still disappointed that UFO50 was delayed for it)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Cool Final Fantasy moment: When the main cast has magic amnesia except for one guy who doesn't say anything because he thinks everyone just didn't like him and was too embarrassed to say anything.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah ff8 owns

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

having a lot of fun with nintendo switch sports but maybe it's time to put the miis out of their misery

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pwnstar posted:

Cool Final Fantasy moment: When the main cast has magic amnesia except for one guy who doesn't say anything because he thinks everyone just didn't like him and was too embarrassed to say anything.

Relateable imo

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Help Im Alive posted:

having a lot of fun with nintendo switch sports but maybe it's time to put the miis out of their misery

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
miis forever, they rule. the forums should have mii support

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Giving up on Banjo Kazooie, the later levels are just too frustrating, swimming is horrible, all the enemies get super annoying and are hard to hit.

But I got a lot of fun out of the first half of the game, I’m glad it was part of a subscription and not something I individually paid for.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Super Robot Wars fuckin rules

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Watching Veeg's streams has got me playing FFIX again. I missed these goobers. 3rd best game in the series for me.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Does the name of the SaGa games have any special meaning in Japanese or is it just the english word saga?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
BK gets a permanent spot in my top 10, but the swimming does suck. The only levels I just avoid if possible, or muscle through if going for everything, are the two mainly-water ones.

To be fair, no third person game of that era had good swimming, and also I don't think ever, can't think of a third-person game with a solution to point to for everyone to emulate. The good swimming games are in first-person, same with moving in no-gravity or orbital situations. An Outer Wilds and Subnautica couldn't work in third person.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Giving up on Banjo Kazooie, the later levels are just too frustrating, swimming is horrible, all the enemies get super annoying and are hard to hit.

But I got a lot of fun out of the first half of the game, I’m glad it was part of a subscription and not something I individually paid for.

if it helps, there are in-game cheat codes that give you infinite anything you want except health. i uh pretty much always turn infinite oxygen on whenever i play lol

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Khanstant posted:

BK gets a permanent spot in my top 10, but the swimming does suck. The only levels I just avoid if possible, or muscle through if going for everything, are the two mainly-water ones.

To be fair, no third person game of that era had good swimming, and also I don't think ever, can't think of a third-person game with a solution to point to for everyone to emulate. The good swimming games are in first-person, same with moving in no-gravity or orbital situations. An Outer Wilds and Subnautica couldn't work in third person.

ecco

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk if 2D counts but Rayman Origins/Legends and DKC Tropical Freeze have fun swimming I guess because your freedom of movement underwater feels just as fluid as on land

for 3D the Zora swimming in Majora's Mask is p good

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wonder what game did the crumpled letter drafts trope first. (This is Oblivion)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 30, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The only real tough level in Banjo-Kazooie is Rusty Bucket Bay and that's mostly cause of the loving engine room. For the rest of the back end Mad Monster Mansion is one of the best levels in the game and Click Clock Wood is a bit too sprawling but the gimmick is incredible. It's well worth pushing through to get to the final showdown because Grunty's Furnace Fun is one of the best climaxes in all of gaming

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thinking about ffix’s “stealing” economy, where bosses will always carry valuable equipment you won’t be able to purchase at a store until a few hours later, except the steal rate is like 3% so actually acquiring the equipment is very tedious. Is it good design? No one can say for certain

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Glad to hear Rogue Legacy 2 is good, I really liked the first one and felt like no one talked about the sequel in Early Access

I don't play or buy anything in EA if I can help it, but yeah RL2 turned out really nicely

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jay Rust posted:

Thinking about ffix’s “stealing” economy, where bosses will always carry valuable equipment you won’t be able to purchase at a store until a few hours later, except the steal rate is like 3% so actually acquiring the equipment is very tedious. Is it good design? No one can say for certain

I think I ruined that game for myself (and consequently didn't finish it) by doing that, because I was told that's the way you're supposed to play it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Shut up I love stealing with Marcus 200 times to get all the Black Waltz #3's items

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I appreciate the advice. The mansion level was frustrating me but maybe I'll give it another go.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Rarity posted:

The only real tough level in Banjo-Kazooie is Rusty Bucket Bay and that's mostly cause of the loving engine room. For the rest of the back end Mad Monster Mansion is one of the best levels in the game and Click Clock Wood is a bit too sprawling but the gimmick is incredible. It's well worth pushing through to get to the final showdown because Grunty's Furnace Fun is one of the best climaxes in all of gaming

redeemed yourself for the aerith post here

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Jay Rust posted:

I struggle to think of a good video game stealing economy. It's practically always the optimal thing to do, and it's just a matter of how much bullshit you're willing to put up with to do it.

Maybe something like FFX, where the first steal always succeeds and it also kills machina enemies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I thought we were talking about Final Fantasy, not capitalism.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Okay, 3D third person games. I never considered your standard 2d platformer to be a third person game, but I can't think of why not.

Rarity posted:

I like Freezeezy Peak! It's an ice-level on the surface, but there are actually a bunch of flying jiggies and things and I always liked when they let me fly around. I also wanna say it's the highest you can get in the game and jump off from. Click Clock Wood also a favourite, really liked continuing the individual stories and jiggies through the season. Mansion also owns and pumpkin one of the funniest/cutest transformations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass did a pretty good job of stealing too, but that's mostly because a lot of enemies have something to steal that affects how they fight. Like you can steal a robot's voice box to stop them from calling for help, or steal the Knives from Johnny Knives to turn him into Johnny No-Knives.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Rusty Bucket Bay is a right bitch of a level but it has one of the best songs in the game so i think it evens out

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Help Im Alive posted:

Did they bring Matt back?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

you know what time it is folks

1. Click Clock Wood
2. Rusty Bucket Bay
3. Clanker's Cavern
4. Freezeezy Peak
5. Bubblegloop Swamp
6. Treasure Trove Cove
7. Gobi's Valley
8. Mad Monster Mansion
9. Mumbo's Mountain

that's for main level themes, there's a bunch of smaller/boss themes that are awesome on their own right like Final Battle, the Mutie-Snippets, King Sandybutt's Maze, Mr. Vile's Game, etc.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Any theme ranking that doesn't put Freezeezy Peak at #1 isn't worth wiping my butt with

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did they bring Matt back?

No they referenced him in a twitter post where he appears to have mastered the blade but he's not actually in the game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rarity posted:

Any theme ranking that doesn't put Freezeezy Peak at #1 isn't worth wiping my butt with

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
there's plenty of platformers where I don't dread water levels but I can't think of a single one where I eagerly anticipate them

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Donkey Kong Country water levels rule cause you get to ride the best animal companion

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I always like the ambience of water levels even when they suck to play. Jolly Roger bay and a whole lot of sunshine are very pleasant to be in, for example.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Jay Rust posted:

Simply tick the "Stealing always succeeds" box in the launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Rayman’s swimming was very good but that’s about it in my experience