Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That was a super fun spot, haven't seen a wrestler get so disgusted by their cheating-rear end manager's antics that they have them ejected.

Andrade did the same thing to Chavo Jr. last year, except that when Andrade found out that Chavo cheated he punched him out. It was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Pylons posted:

Does anyone else think there's an opening to bring in another luchador (Dragon Lee/RUSH or Demonic Flamita maybe) under Chavo to feud with Bandido with the way the match went?

I could see Tony bringing in Lee, Rush and Dralistico to work as the ROH Igobernbles faction again but I don't see them hooking up with Chavo as Rush is way too tranquilo for him (it'd be a great segment though)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
ROH Ingobernables needs to be a thing so we can get the inevitable Andrade guest star appearance

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i can't believe this FTR/Briscoes match, holy gently caress

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Only ones I want now are Chris Hero and Cesaro

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Elephant Ambush posted:

Andrade did the same thing to Chavo Jr. last year, except that when Andrade found out that Chavo cheated he punched him out. It was great.

Oh yeah, he did! I had completely forgotten that weird short period where they had Chavo manage Andrade. Luckily they moved away from that, because Andrade + Jose is a great duo all by themselves, and without Andrade being allowed to cut his own promos we would've missed out on "Mr. Stink" and "Okay, how you know".

smarxist posted:

It's drat near the perfect match. The crowd is so loving pumped for the match from the first moment, and both teams are working their asses off. Great spots, insane work rate, good story.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 2, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Chris James 2 posted:

Only ones I want now are Chris Hero and Cesaro

I never got to see them when they were a team, so I'd definitely be happy if they got to team up again in TK's ROH.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I miss when FTR would bang the belts together when they did "Top Guys, out".

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gresham wrestling with braces makes me think of how I used to cut my lips up all the time when I had braces as a kid and it wasn’t even my job to get hit in the face for a living.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

The best thing about the confrontation at the end of the show was the music playing the whole way through

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

so after all the rave reviews, I gave tony my :10bux:

show was good

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Still thinking about Tony:
-Not using Cage in AEW because he might want him to be a surprise if he manages to buy Ring of Honor
-Resigning Cage to use him in Ring of Honor as a surprise for RoH
-Cage immediately turning around and telling everyone.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
seems like Tully will be shuffling over there for awhile too

the little thing they did with impact was cool but this being fully a Tony Khan joint for him to increase the ability to develop talent and cool stories feels like some real "phase 2" poo poo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:same: Tony :hai:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

This is my same nephew who's favorite wrestler is Orange Cassidy and his favorite moment of wrestling this year is still "that guy was smart enough to wear a cup against the guy who keeps hitting everyone in the balls to win"

:hmmyes:

:kimchi: lol

smarxist posted:

it loving kicked rear end op

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Jonny Nox posted:

-Not using Cage in AEW because he might want him to be a surprise if he manages to buy Ring of Honor

Tony talked about that in the media scrum last night, he said he pretty much forgot to tell Cage to keep it under wraps.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

My 11 year old nephew happened to be here during this show and thought FTR vs Briscoes was the coolest poo poo ever, glad FTR won, then immediately was happy about the Bucks ruining them all because they're the coolest.

This is my same nephew who's favorite wrestler is Orange Cassidy and his favorite moment of wrestling this year is still "that guy was smart enough to wear a cup against the guy who keeps hitting everyone in the balls to win"

I have mixed emotions about this kids picks but encourage him to go for whatever he's down for

I love OC, so your nephew isn't completely wrong. Shame about the Bucks though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jonny Nox posted:

He probably shoulda told Cage about it from the start and also Cage's wife

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Rarity posted:

He probably shoulda told Cage about it from the start and also Cage's wife

He said he couldn’t because of signed NDAs with RoH while the negotiations were happening

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

also it's way funnier this way.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

It just makes the whole thing more quintessentially Brian Cage that it's endearing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Joe's new theme is a banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGze9ZIwzw

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think its gobshite

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

first miss by mikey rukus in a while

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
I have seen a couple of times on social media people saying that Christian Cage was never in ROH, including I think one of AEW's own press releases, where they listed a bunch of AEW talent that had performed there and didn't include him. But he definitely wrestled a couple of times there, it was right before I stopped watching ROH back in like 2006 I think, in between leaving WWE and signing with TNA. Why has he been memory-holed so much? I thought he did pretty well for himself. This was back around the time Jeff Hardy turned up and got mercilessly booed because he was perceived as way too much of a psychology-less spot monkey for the high-brow ROHbots. And I remember people being nervous about what sort of reaction Christian would get because he had that same sort of stigma about him with all the TLC matches but he'd built up a huge online following and everyone was really curious about how he would go in front of the ROH faithful. Am I the only one who remembers this so clearly? Or have I just mixed it all up in my mind and none of it actually happened like that...?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Saul Goode posted:

I have seen a couple of times on social media people saying that Christian Cage was never in ROH, including I think one of AEW's own press releases, where they listed a bunch of AEW talent that had performed there and didn't include him. But he definitely wrestled a couple of times there, it was right before I stopped watching ROH back in like 2006 I think, in between leaving WWE and signing with TNA. Why has he been memory-holed so much? I thought he did pretty well for himself. This was back around the time Jeff Hardy turned up and got mercilessly booed because he was perceived as way too much of a psychology-less spot monkey for the high-brow ROHbots. And I remember people being nervous about what sort of reaction Christian would get because he had that same sort of stigma about him with all the TLC matches but he'd built up a huge online following and everyone was really curious about how he would go in front of the ROH faithful. Am I the only one who remembers this so clearly? Or have I just mixed it all up in my mind and none of it actually happened like that...?

you're not wrong but i think it grew a lot in your mind over the years -- cagematch says he had two matches and didn't make much of an, uh, impact. probably just doesn't really consider it as a significant part of his career

here's video of one of them though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg0zw34N8MI

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

flatluigi posted:

you're not wrong but i think it grew a lot in your mind over the years

I was way into ROH at the time and Christian was one of my favourites so it was probably much bigger in mind than it was even when it first happened lol.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If Tony loves Joe so much he should have just paid for Simon Says

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Saul Goode posted:

Jeff Hardy was three years prior. Christian came in, had two fun matches and that was it. He was a special attraction for two shows so it's not weird he wasn't included on a list, it's easy to forget.

Joe's theme is good.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Saul Goode posted:

Jeff Hardy wasn't booed out of the building because people looked down on his wrestling ability, it was because he was clearly going through a lot of personal issues at the time and looked like dogshit. Funnily I remember a lot of people at the time saying he looked washed up and thinking he was at the end of his career in like 2003. Although I suppose there's quite a few times during his career you could have reasonably thought that.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
The Brian Cage debut squash match is always great

The problems come after that

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

History Comes Inside! posted:

If Tony loves Joe so much he should have just paid for Simon Says

You mean Mama Said Knock You Out :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Generico posted:

He spent a year being really good in AEW before he turned face and was kind of lame but still had good matches.

Then he tweeted that he probably wouldn't kill his family like Chris Benoit and became good again.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Brian Cage is good

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tony had to move Cage to ROH cause that way he'd never be at a gathering of more than 6 people

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Tony had to move Cage to ROH cause that way he'd never be at a gathering of more than 6 people

Boy was his face red when he announced Dem Boys vs the #TopGuys and sold like 1900 tickets.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

El Generico posted:

Yeah but then he'll put a man through a drum like in a Bugs Bunny cartoon so it's hard to hate him too much.

https://i.imgur.com/qVkJt8n.mp4

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Admittedly I didn't watch much ROH toward the end, I was more into them during the Danielson/Joe/Punk era. But I'd tune in every so often to their free weekly show since Fite posts them, and mostly to follow luchadores I liked like Horus and Flamita. So my curiosity now is mostly what the ROH roster's going to look like once the dust settles and all the ink dries - who comes back and who's gone elsewhere. This was by all accounts a hastily booked card because it had to be, so a lot of the appearances are probably one-offs. Once they get a regular TV deal and have a full roster, I wonder whether it'll still feel like ROH, or something different entirely.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I don't think it's unreasonable to be a little bummed that it looks like Tony mostly bought the name and already had the ROH guys he wanted under contract with AEW, for the most part. The only non-AEW guys who seem set to stick around off this show are Tully's new tag team, and maybe Dalton Castle. Heck, the post-match angle all but made it seem like the Briscoes were retiring (and not, y'know, wrestling another banger like 3 hours later) Which is a shame if you liked the crew that was working for ROH before the shutdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

Admittedly I didn't watch much ROH toward the end, I was more into them during the Danielson/Joe/Punk era. But I'd tune in every so often to their free weekly show since Fite posts them, and mostly to follow luchadores I liked like Horus and Flamita. So my curiosity now is mostly what the ROH roster's going to look like once the dust settles and all the ink dries - who comes back and who's gone elsewhere. This was by all accounts a hastily booked card because it had to be, so a lot of the appearances are probably one-offs. Once they get a regular TV deal and have a full roster, I wonder whether it'll still feel like ROH, or something different entirely.

well I think tony is a huge ROH fan in general, so while probably the roster will be fairly different I just assume he'll keep many of the traditions and style that the original ROH had. probably making some changes as he likes but keeping the core idea of what ROH has always been intact. that's my guess anyway.