Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It always makes me laugh when I peek in the bad takes thread and see the usual claims about "you have to have constant goofy gimmicks and dumb storylines and backstage skits that insult people's intelligence all over your show, like what WWE does, otherwise wrestling is boring without them and you can't hook in THE CASUALS :worship:"

it's what happens when you look at how bad wwe is in-ring most of the time and conclude that wwe is so popular because the wrestling doesn't matter and all the stuff around it matters more (instead of wwe only being popular through inertia and fans of other companies just remembering how much the ring work matters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Saul Goode posted:

I have seen a couple of times on social media people saying that Christian Cage was never in ROH, including I think one of AEW's own press releases, where they listed a bunch of AEW talent that had performed there and didn't include him. But he definitely wrestled a couple of times there, it was right before I stopped watching ROH back in like 2006 I think, in between leaving WWE and signing with TNA. Why has he been memory-holed so much? I thought he did pretty well for himself. This was back around the time Jeff Hardy turned up and got mercilessly booed because he was perceived as way too much of a psychology-less spot monkey for the high-brow ROHbots. And I remember people being nervous about what sort of reaction Christian would get because he had that same sort of stigma about him with all the TLC matches but he'd built up a huge online following and everyone was really curious about how he would go in front of the ROH faithful. Am I the only one who remembers this so clearly? Or have I just mixed it all up in my mind and none of it actually happened like that...?

you're not wrong but i think it grew a lot in your mind over the years -- cagematch says he had two matches and didn't make much of an, uh, impact. probably just doesn't really consider it as a significant part of his career

here's video of one of them though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg0zw34N8MI

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, I don't think it's unreasonable to be a little bummed that it looks like Tony mostly bought the name and already had the ROH guys he wanted under contract with AEW, for the most part. The only non-AEW guys who seem set to stick around off this show are Tully's new tag team, and maybe Dalton Castle. Heck, the post-match angle all but made it seem like the Briscoes were retiring (and not, y'know, wrestling another banger like 3 hours later) Which is a shame if you liked the crew that was working for ROH before the shutdown.

before tony bought ROH they'd already announced that they were releasing all current ROH people from their contracts

i think it's too early to tell what the more permanent future of ROH's roster will be (other than tony wanting to keep doing ppvs and apparently also do a weekly show), and with 'nobody actually currently works for ROH' in mind i think it's understandable that for now the belts are on people that tony already has a working relationship with

edit: also, yeah, I don't know why you'd think the briscoes would be retiring?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
again, nobody's contracted for any more ROH shows currently because there are no more ROH shows currently lol

the most you can conjecture about is who's likely to show up again, and out of all the people not already signed to AEW i think the briscoes are at the top of the list right after gresham

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Walla posted:

Dunno. Tony has made it a point that the 2 are owned separately. I personally hope there isn't too much crossover, if only so I don't have to watch 2 separate promotions just to keep up. It's hard enough with Dynamite and Rampage some weeks.

i think the way to think about it is that roh will be the nxt (the version of nxt that was good) to aew's main roster. people will show up, some people will be signed to primarily be on roh, and there'll be some crossover occasionally with everything still being mostly separate

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1512620051899293700

absolute madman

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's also just speculation as far as I've seen

edit: the idea of the Briscoes not being able to be put on Turner tv, for the new page

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i imagine that we'll see more of which aew people are earmarked to move to the roh roster like colt + we'll see grisham and other people who haven't shown up in aew since the first ppv again.

i don't think there's going to be many (if any) people that tony specifically waited to sign so that they could get signed directly to roh instead of getting aew paychecks first, but i also just think that the roh/aew stuff has been weird to get heated about -- i've seen people who were genuinely mad at roh stuff showing up in aew at all and i just don't understand it, especially in this time before roh has its own tv time

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'm hoping they have a different feel once things actually get established but i think 'not using people from aew' is just not going to happen, especially with stuff like samoa joe being announced explicitly as signing a dual aew/roh contract

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i get the impression from people's mixed impressions on how approachable he is that if you seek out and talk to tony he'll talk to you, but he won't go out and initiate conversations with people without reason, so sitting and waiting for tony is gonna get you nowhere (as mjf found out). idk if that's a good or a bad thing but maybe daniels should start scheduling regular check-ins with everyone to make people not feel ignored

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lumbermouth posted:

I mean, I think Tony Khan doesn’t want to have tough conversations with people and up until recently, he hasn’t had to. If you’re trying to launch a second wrestling company and you’re treating their main champion like an afterthought, dude has every right to be mad and demand clarification.

i feel like treating him as an afterthought wouldn't involve signing him to a contract

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

she and suge d were tweeting about it when the accuser's name and photo got leaked, saying that it makes sense because she's pretty

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Fart Radio posted:

to state this more accurately: after swole decided to look up identifying information and photos of an otherwise anonymous victim of sexual harassment, she praised vince mcmahon for harassing the victim because she was hot

she didn't dig it up herself, it was getting spread around by assholes. the comments she made were gross, but she wasn't the one that did the doxxing

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

edogawa rando posted:

I was watching the pre-show for DBD last night, before I get around to watching the actual show this weekend.

And yeah, when the Gates of Hell made their entrance? Yeesh. Very, very cultural appropriation-y, and honestly, kind of borderline racist.

who exactly do you think is being racist

also they're the gates of agony

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
maybe that person doesn't know prince nana is his real name

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

edogawa rando posted:

Besides, if Toa Liona is Maori, I'd wonder why his gear doesn't have either the NZ flag or the Tino Rangatira flag alongside the Samoan and Puerto Rican one. I assume he's reasonably proud of being Samoan and Puerto Rican, so why wouldn't he also be proud enough to include a flag representing that aspect of his heritage, if that were the case?

you're taking a decent point and getting extremely weird with it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the ka mate is more widely known as what new zealand rugby teams do for their pre-match haka, and there is a samoan counterpart in rugby called the siva tau (composed explicitly to be done for rugby). fun fact, when the usos stopped using the ka mate they picked up the siva tau instead which i have mixed opinions on -- sure, it's Actually Samoan but i feel weird about treating them as equivalent given the disparate history

Alaois posted:

are you absolutely positive it's the Ka Mate and not the Siva Tau

i don't know either language but it absolutely starts 'ka mate' in the entrance video. idk, i think i'd rather defer to the person with polynesian heritage whose theme it is in terms of what they want to use in their music because it could just be that they know something the viewers don't

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Penguin Patrol posted:

"another former NXT name" is such a misleading way to describe Blake Christian lol

i can't wait until this sort of phrasing dies a deserved death but i think it's going to last forever. calling aew wrestlers ex-wwe is too beloved

like i don't even care that much about cole karter but he was on nxt for a few months before they fired him and he showed up on aew -- but he'd wrestled on aew dark before going to nxt over both a longer period of time and for more matches. still though people were going 'why did they grab this random ex-nxt jobber and put him directly on tv' (which, like, it seems like they're going back to what they wanted to do with him when he was bouncing around dark)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Waffleopolis posted:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1583171189844811777?t=QvZs42rN7qGkDV2B5VwGTg&s=19

Shouldn't this show both Joe and Jericho? Weird not to advertise him.

not really? joe's guaranteed to hold the title until then but jericho certainly has the possibility of dropping it before then in keyfabe

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gaz-L posted:

Uh, why is Joe guaranteed to hold the title, other than Tony's not been booking title matches? Like, what if Matt Taven wants a TV title match?

why is joe guaranteed to hold the title other than the reason he's guaranteed to hold the title, compared to the person who's on tv every week wanting to fight every single former ROH champion?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
woah
https://www.rohwrestling.com/news/john-cena-surprise-debut

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fld2-qLlHfw

This is the first Bryan Danielson vs. Chris Hero match. I don't think it was the start of the ROH vs CZW feud though. I think CZW had Best of the Best 6 first and a few ROH wrestlers were on the show.

man, i know chris hero is pretty much retired and hasn't wrestled since 2020 but i'd love for tony khan to get him in for even a small appearance

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I wonder if they ever had a match in wwe, though I also would bet if they did it didn't go more than five minutes

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
she's cool and has always deserved a decent showcase run somewhere

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
forever remembering people here saying tony shouldn't have brought her in because she had no personality

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
maybe if colt gets a more competitive match going

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
she's 23 and rapidly improving, and is finally transitioning out of being the default face jobber in aew's women's division. give her time to grow

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Garcia v Shibata should own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

graph posted:

why is this not on my television wednesday nights

because they want you to pay to watch roh for stuff like this