Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I miss when FTR would bang the belts together when they did "Top Guys, out".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Tony had to move Cage to ROH cause that way he'd never be at a gathering of more than 6 people

Boy was his face red when he announced Dem Boys vs the #TopGuys and sold like 1900 tickets.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I don't think it's unreasonable to be a little bummed that it looks like Tony mostly bought the name and already had the ROH guys he wanted under contract with AEW, for the most part. The only non-AEW guys who seem set to stick around off this show are Tully's new tag team, and maybe Dalton Castle. Heck, the post-match angle all but made it seem like the Briscoes were retiring (and not, y'know, wrestling another banger like 3 hours later) Which is a shame if you liked the crew that was working for ROH before the shutdown.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I know the Briscoes aren't retiring but the whole 'champs cede the ring' thing is something you do as a goodbye, hence why I said it was weird.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Unknown if he'll be sticking around in the office in some capacity, he'd been helping with the training school in addition to booking but this show was also his last obligation under that contract

Actually, the original contracts ran out on Mar 31, so other than the AEW talent, i believe everyone else did Supercard on a one-off basis.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jay grabbing the chair and shaking his head like "gimme that, dummy" is also good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Also, that number isn't including the Honor Club subscriptions.

It's not including iPPV either, just actually via the TV PPV, I believe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Austin Aries could be right there alongside Punk and Bryan in AEW finally getting the big star treatment if he hadn't blown his career to poo poo in the last decade

The brief period he was TNA champion felt like he was maybe starting to get there. Then he went to WWE, and also had to talk about his opinions and welp.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

I'd say it started when he sexually assaulted Christy Hemme, personally

That assumes there's any actual consequences in the wrestling industry for sex pests.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
gently caress it, pay Riccaboni to do that and the odd ROH PPV until they get whatever regular schedule TK is aiming for going.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I hope TK getting the Tates back as the Boys is a sign he wants Dalton around.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Probably just a gradient to imply 3d.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Way more likely to be Death Before Dishonor, I'd say

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

gently caress FaceTR have been amazing but I think I'm Team Briscoes on this one, dumping the tequila was a power move

The great thing about this feud is the little things. Dax saying the tequila isn't the cheap stuff Dem Boys are used to, or the Briscoes not even acknowledging it was a good match/fight because they lost. And as much as it is them making excuses, it's also not wrong to point out that they'd already wrestled that same night while Dax and Cash hadn't had a match for the better part of a week (from a kayfabe perspective) and how that may have given FTR the edge.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pylons posted:

(They actually wrestled later that night but it's still a good story)

Ah, my bad, I thought the WrestleCon show was earlier that day, although I think the Briscoes may have gone on after midnight, so they may still technically have had 3 matches on the same day.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

My prediction is FTR drop the RoH belts, Win the AEW belts sometime in the future, and then pick up the ROH belts to finally have all the belts.

Winning the AEW belts only for Dem Boys to come out on Dynamite would be very cool.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

First is questionable as the tarantula specifically has more of the body outside the ring than inside of it so it may be considered out of bounds. The ref won't be able to break it up but it probably doesn't count as a legal fall. The latter is true. Once the ref initiates a 5-count, it counts as a rope break
Does the out of bounds matter on a verbal submission though? In theory a wrestler could tell the ref they're done without their opponent touching them, surely, so the location of the opponent shouldn't matter?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Honor No More gonna sign new deals and come back to ROH as OK Maybe Honor Some More

If Khan signs Matt Taven, he's officially too addicted to surprise debuts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Really freakin excited to go to the show tomorrow, hoping they don't have metal guardrail covers because I will be bummed that I only have second row and can't bang on them if they do.

If they don't have the metal covers, is it even Ring of Honor?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

You knew Gabe was truly losing it when he was booking the title match like, i think either right before or after intermission bc he didn't want the crowd to be worn out by the time it went on.

Wasn't that how WWF did it during Bruno and Hogan?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JOHN CENA posted:

if tk ever does a 49 minute 1 hour draw hes canceled.

Tv time remaining baybee

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hoss Corncave posted:

I'd assume anything that is him vs Hiromu Takahashi including the ones where Hiromu was on excursion in CMLL as Kamaitachi.

Although maybe not the one where Hiromu literally breaks his neck after having done something like four matches in one weekend.

To be clear, Lee was the one who'd worked several matches in a short period, not Hiromu

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jericho ain't working the B PPV.

(Although, that would be a hell of a way to keep the angle going. Jericho refusing to appear on ROH PPV as the champion, maybe have him 'send' 2.0 or Sammy & Tay to beat up Riccaboni or Colt or someone)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

flatluigi posted:

not really? joe's guaranteed to hold the title until then but jericho certainly has the possibility of dropping it before then in keyfabe

Uh, why is Joe guaranteed to hold the title, other than Tony's not been booking title matches? Like, what if Matt Taven wants a TV title match?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pylons posted:

Apparently Honor Club is back open. I never used it previously but the interface seems pretty nice.

Checking the ROH site and the roster page is very funny. It's literally only the champions and the Briscoes

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also think if WBD weren't biting then ROH was a really tough sell, because of, not in spite of, Tony Khan's involvement. It's gotta be difficult to sell a partner on a wrestling show where there's a solid chance any star with name value is gonna prioritise the owner's other, bigger project, and any stars ROH builds could just as easily be 'promoted' to AEW. Add in the fact that Tony seems content to run PPV via BR, so any prospective new TV partner wasn't getting a bite of that cherry, and you've got a TV property that might net you 100k viewers in a timeslot where you could probably do the same for cheaper by grabbing a syndication package of an old sitcom.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

Impact is currently doing 100K viewers on AXS. I'm pretty sure ROH could do better than that, assuming it's not on at an even worse time than Rampage.

Possibly, but so could Golden Girls re-runs and the ad rates for those are better.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Streaming hasn't been the cash cow the networks had been banking on, which means that Warner is no longer interested in paying for high-performing traditional programming?

Zaslav's straight up removing content from Max to save pennies on the dollar on residuals. I'd put nothing past them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I'm aware of that, but again, those cuts only affected streaming content - what's more, there has not to my knowledge been any removals since late August, likely because of the strategy being so poorly received that Warner's stock now sits at ~65% of the value it held before the cuts occurred.

They're literally doing a bunch right now

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Bluejeans posted:

My apologies for missing those stories, for whatever reason they didn't come up in my search. I stand by my larger point of Warner's traditional broadcast networks remaining unaffected thus far, Westworld and The Nevers being removed from Max doesn't equate to cost-cutting at HBO just because that's where those shows started.

The earlier round literally involved them pulling a finished season of a sitcom from TBS the night it was meant to premiere.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rick posted:

Bring back the "white guy with beard" division to ROH.

It's called the tag team division.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:(

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Oasx posted:

I was hoping he wouldn't book ROH, TK really doesn't need to be stretched further than he is.

Yeah, just let Daniels or BJ Whitmer or someone book the show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pylons posted:

Why do people constantly think that old people in wrestling are capable bookers? Did Daniels book some secret promotion I'm unaware of?

Did Tony Khan book some secret promotion before AEW?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pylons posted:

Yes, he'd been fantasy booking Dynamite and Rampage since 1995.

So no, is the answer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They do probably need to address the tag title situation soon

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Like, I have to imagine guys like Fenix and Ospreay would be terrible coaches, as so much of what makes them good is based on them being absurdly athletic in the right ways for how they work.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I imagine maybe it's a far end of the Dunning-Kruger curve thing? Danielson and Michaels are good enough that they underestimate how good they are?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
IIRC that is pretty much considered one of the matches that created the 'modern' indie style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hero replacing Danielson in the BCC also works, given how much Euripean influence he uses.