Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
I have seen a couple of times on social media people saying that Christian Cage was never in ROH, including I think one of AEW's own press releases, where they listed a bunch of AEW talent that had performed there and didn't include him. But he definitely wrestled a couple of times there, it was right before I stopped watching ROH back in like 2006 I think, in between leaving WWE and signing with TNA. Why has he been memory-holed so much? I thought he did pretty well for himself. This was back around the time Jeff Hardy turned up and got mercilessly booed because he was perceived as way too much of a psychology-less spot monkey for the high-brow ROHbots. And I remember people being nervous about what sort of reaction Christian would get because he had that same sort of stigma about him with all the TLC matches but he'd built up a huge online following and everyone was really curious about how he would go in front of the ROH faithful. Am I the only one who remembers this so clearly? Or have I just mixed it all up in my mind and none of it actually happened like that...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

flatluigi posted:

you're not wrong but i think it grew a lot in your mind over the years

I was way into ROH at the time and Christian was one of my favourites so it was probably much bigger in mind than it was even when it first happened lol.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
They were doing some weird lap of honor type thing after the match and before the beatdown though, and the way the commentators were talking I assumed it was because they weren't contracted for any more ROH shows. I thought the implication was that the ROH roster will be comprised of people already on the AEW roster, especially given that Samoa Joe is clearly doing stuff in ROH but had the "Is All Elite" graphic put up immediately after his debut.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

edogawa rando posted:

Supercard of Honor is around NZ$50 on FITE. Should I buy the replay, then?

Splash that cash on a VPN instead!

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Manhattan Mayhem 05, GBH V N2

Quality shows. I had given up by Final Battle 06 but those two were in my collection and I bloody loved them. Still regret giving up Enter the Dragon many years back, the Danielson - Aries match was my number one for a long time. Looking back I can't believe that Aries was my favourite back then... what a bad choice that turned out to be lol.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

sticklefifer posted:

Supposedly it's just one Turner exec who hates them, and yeah, it's pretty weird.

I cannot believe that story was not just a smokescreen to give TK an excuse not to sign the Briscoes for whatever reason. There is no way that a mysterious "Turner executive" is extremely online enough to know about the Briscoes' tweets from a decade ago and care enough to blacklist them despite their apologies and the people who have vocally supported them, yet not give a poo poo about Jake Hager or Jay Lethal for example. I really hope that the story was just put out there to give them a bigger pop when they do finally turn up on Dynamite (after the lights go out).

Gaz-L posted:

I hope TK getting the Tates back as the Boys is a sign he wants Dalton around.

So those out of shape, pasty, trainee-school looking chumps from Supercard of Honor were just ring-ins were they? The difference in presentation for Castle between SoH and BotB was crazy thanks to those two guys. And are they the same Tates who had a Dark match or two way back in the pandemic days?

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Oh yeah, I don't disagree on the main points, the thing I can't get my head around is the Briscoes setting off anyone's alarms when people who have done worse more recently have been hired (or had exposure), and this seems to be the first example of anyone being able to over-rule Tony Khan isn't it? AEW as a media entity doesn't seem to be getting policed for things on the level of confederate flags and historic homophobia that has been apologised for. If they are then anyone who worked for PWG is fuuuuuuuucked lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Jonathan Gresham sizing up against Claudio gave me flashbacks to Taz going up against the Rock soon after his debut. Taz was great, one of my all-time favourites. But still, you put Taz in the ring with the Rock... it just doesn't work. And it's not just the size disparity, you can have smaller guys going up against bigger guys until the cows come home, but when your smaller guy's gimmick is UFC-style suplex machine or technical wrestling badass, that's when you've got a problem, because he has to completely dominate his opposition for the gimmick to have legs.