Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Garcia/Yuta for the Pure title is gonna be an absolute banger and I'm hoping the challenger wins as it'd be an easy way to drive a wedge between him and the rest of the JAS

They already seemed to be teasing discord with the way Garcia barked at Sammy and I'd love to see him gradually realize after winning the belt that he's a professional wrestler and not a sports entertainer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i do think they should merge the pure and television championships though.

Joe's stated that his goal is to merge the ROH TV and World titles so that seems more likely

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
has there been word on what (if anything) happened to Tully?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
my only regret is that we never got Gresham/Singh

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

eldemiror posted:

The amount of billionaire pandering that is going on in this topic is honestly disheartening.

I have always been a wrestling lurker here, and really enjoyed AEW's fanbase for being more progressive. However, ever since details of AEW's employee vs employer (okay, independent contractors, but you get the gist) dynamics have started to leak out, snarky remarks taking the side of AEW corporate have become the norm. I don't think it's mandatory to take a side, or to tell the world how little you care about the talent feeling overlooked because you personally think Gresham is boring. I also think that it's not mandatory to attach a "bad attitude" narrative to yet another POC talent, that by the way performed as expected and did not create a fuss for the live audience. If the match vs Claudio was a letdown (and it was for me), that was due to it being short in length , having a sudden ending after a slow start and featuring a champion that was not booked strongly enough during the match to make the win matter in the ring. Of course, Claudio's personal history and post-win celebration really elevated the whole thing for me as a whole, but i was still let down from a strictly in-ring perspective.

Personally , I think both the AEW and ROH products have kind of lost the thread since the beginning of the year. The match quality has remained excellent , but both the rhythm and direction of the ongoing feuds feel off. Of course injuries played a major part, but in a roster with such talent I feel like better things could have been improvised. I wonder if this unlucky first half of the year will have effects on the way Tony plans feuds, as i seem to recall that he has always been a big proponent of not having fully fleshed out plans b.

I loved the PPV as a whole , but I am uncertain about the future of this AEW-ROH, as the situation is quite confused from an organizational perspective

thanks for lecturing us about which opinions we should have and express, please go back to lurking now

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
hot drat, they nearly doubled Supercard of Honor

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

El Gallinero Gros posted:

FTR are a draw, baby

not to be funny but I genuinely wonder what match TK could put together for the next show that'll be as much of a draw as FTR/Briscoes

plenty of time to figure that out I suppose

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I made a prediction game for anyone who'd like to play. :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019391

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Yeah, that image is promoting the match that happened on August 24th

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=345568

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Streaming hasn't been the cash cow the networks had been banking on, which means that Warner is no longer interested in paying for high-performing traditional programming?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I'm aware of that, but again, those cuts only affected streaming content - what's more, there has not to my knowledge been any removals since late August, likely because of the strategy being so poorly received that Warner's stock now sits at ~65% of the value it held before the cuts occurred.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
My apologies for missing those stories, for whatever reason they didn't come up in my search. I stand by my larger point of Warner's traditional broadcast networks remaining unaffected thus far, Westworld and The Nevers being removed from Max doesn't equate to cost-cutting at HBO just because that's where those shows started.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Gaz-L posted:

The earlier round literally involved them pulling a finished season of a sitcom from TBS the night it was meant to premiere.

In what sense is that cost-cutting? Warner already paid to produce the second season of Chad and executives made it clear that the decision was part of the company's decision to put less emphasis on scripted content (which if anything should be seen as good news by AEW fans since wrestling doesn't fall under that umbrella).

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Jay Briscoe tribute show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iS93bbBtLU

Watching now, Shinno/Yuta for the Pure title is a really interesting and unexpected opener.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Yeah, the tributes from Joe and then Adam Cole were brutal. Speaking of, though, right after that is Cole and Briscoe from Final Battle 2014.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Kingston's tribute was as beautiful as it was devastating, and his match with QT was very fun

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
This Briscoes vs. Kings of Wrestling match is a trip for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is that I've never seen Claudio with hair

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Thanks, I'd appreciate that! I've actually seen very little of peak ROH simply because I wasn't watching wrestling at that time, so I'd value any opportunity I could get to catch up.

Great main event of Claudio/Daniels to cap off the show, possibly the best match the latter has had since joining AEW.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I was too curious so I peeked at the full list of recorded matches, link below if you wanna know who's involved but not the results:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=362050&page=2

ZSJ vs. Blake Christian gently caress yeah

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
ROH makes my fourth wrestling subscription service, but gently caress it, I :filez: everything else I watch

It's worth the :10bux: for the back catalog alone, especially since I've seen nearly none of it

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Ganso Bomb posted:

Curious, what else are you subscribed to? For me it's just AEW+ and ROH right now. I'll end up doing Fite+ during Mania week to see all of the indie shows, not sure if I'll keep it on. I had subbed to NJPW for Wrestle Kingdom but felt myself falling off immediately after so didn't renew. Also dropped IWTV a while back because I just wasn't using it enough.

I just want more time to watch wrestling!

AEW+, NJPW World and Wrestle Universe are the other three. I was also subscribed to Stardom World for a time but its website is so garbage that I quit after a couple months.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Matt Taven's Mat Haven

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
That was a fun show! Nothing revolutionary but lots of solid wrestling and some interesting stuff set up for the future. Athena/Willow is going to whip and I'm really excited for the Eddie/Claudio feud.

The members of the Trustbusters need their own themes, it's grown beyond comical to hear the same entrance music multiple times during one show.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

The Taxman posted:

Sterling is not a stable leader, he is a lawyer with his hands in a lot of different people's business

I mean he's still Jade's lawyer too

He never should've been split away from the Baddies, especially since Stokely only stuck around for a cup of coffee as his replacement

"What happened to you...?! I don't care" is one of the funniest moments in AEW history

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
A little over two hours, and I think it's another one-off. I haven't seen any indication that he's coming stateside fulll-time.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Another fine ~2 hours of wrestling! A few really good to great matches and I'm already super on board with this Eddie/Claudio storyline.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Their first tapings took place over two days on February 25th and 26th, each session lasting three hours. It looks as though those tapings will result in four shows.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I started going through ROH's back catalog, and while I've already seen a bunch of great contests the one I'm most impressed by thus far is the Dragongate 6-Man (Do FIXER vs. Blood Generation) from Supercard of Honor 2006. The ending stretch is maybe the craziest five minutes of professional wrestling I've ever seen, so much incredible poo poo happening at such a ridiculous pace that commentary goes silent rather than try to keep up. Crowd was going absolutely nuts at all the near falls, cheering after each one because they didn't want to see the match end (as evidenced by the "please don't stop" chant). A magnificent spotfest of the highest order.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
That was a neat read, thanks! I've been referring to Cagematch ratings to determine what to watch, so while I knew the match was highly regarded I had no idea it was so influential.

coconono posted:

Watch the ROH tent shows. They’re all awesome and gave us Ring Crew Express.

MassRafTer posted:

The other matches from that weekend involving the Dragon Gate talent are all really cool.

Thank you for the recommendations!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
That was a great two hours of wrestling, probably the best weekly episode yet. The show feels like it's hitting its stride now that they've got some storylines going and established the main players.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

:stoked:

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Tanahashi vs. Garcia!! :neckbeard:

I just finished putting together the prediction game, here's the link if you'd like to participate:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028363

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Hot drat that's a good card for tonight

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Ganso Bomb posted:

I’m Matt Taven

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Dang Konosuke/Mack has serious potential

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Watching All Star Extravaganza VIII and just got my first taste of The Cabinet, a stable whose slogan was apparently Make Wrestling Great Again (show took place in Sept. 2016, naturally) and whose theme was a remix of Hail to the Chief. Then before the match started they made fun of Colin Kapernick by kneeling during the Code of Honor while Caprice Coleman declared that anyone who attacked them while they were peacefully protesting would be disqualified by the US Senate (?????)

The whole thing is very :nallears: but it's too confusing to be truly offensive

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Very fine episode, a few thoughts while watching:

- Athena's version of the powerbomb symphony was more impressive than any Wardlow's ever done (except maybe when he annihilated MJF)

- Did Dark Order get a new version of their theme?

- Really interesting ending to the Penta/Comoroto match, I don't think I've ever seen someone rendered unable to kick out specifically because their shoulders were wrecked

- Moriarty/Takeshita was incredibly good, the exact kind of match I would hope for from this version of ROH

- And yet Vikingo/Gringo was somehow even better, just a spectacular showcase for both men

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
My thoughts on this week's show pretty much echo those already posted, though I did want to mention that it's smart for them to include a classic contest after the episode for those unfamiliar with the history of ROH (like me). Hopefully it'll be a regular feature going forward.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
A very good if oddly frontloaded show, though I did enjoy the main quite a bit and I love Komander being teamed with OC and Bandido. Brock Anderson was the most disappointing part of the episode, he just looked like a total lump out there. I hope they haven't given up on him and BPJ just yet, it felt like that team had potential and that each man could cover each other's weaknesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Oh, also, I hope they're going somewhere with this Righteous/Stu thing soon, the distraction shtick has grown beyond tiresome and this week's installment led to a really silly finish for the 10-man