Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Saul Goode posted:

I have seen a couple of times on social media people saying that Christian Cage was never in ROH, including I think one of AEW's own press releases, where they listed a bunch of AEW talent that had performed there and didn't include him. But he definitely wrestled a couple of times there, it was right before I stopped watching ROH back in like 2006 I think, in between leaving WWE and signing with TNA. Why has he been memory-holed so much? I thought he did pretty well for himself. This was back around the time Jeff Hardy turned up and got mercilessly booed because he was perceived as way too much of a psychology-less spot monkey for the high-brow ROHbots. And I remember people being nervous about what sort of reaction Christian would get because he had that same sort of stigma about him with all the TLC matches but he'd built up a huge online following and everyone was really curious about how he would go in front of the ROH faithful. Am I the only one who remembers this so clearly? Or have I just mixed it all up in my mind and none of it actually happened like that...?

Jeff Hardy was three years prior. Christian came in, had two fun matches and that was it. He was a special attraction for two shows so it's not weird he wasn't included on a list, it's easy to forget.

Joe's theme is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Generico posted:

The Brian Cage debut squash match is always great

The problems come after that

He spent a year being really good in AEW before he turned face and was kind of lame but still had good matches.

Then he tweeted that he probably wouldn't kill his family like Chris Benoit and became good again.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, I don't think it's unreasonable to be a little bummed that it looks like Tony mostly bought the name and already had the ROH guys he wanted under contract with AEW, for the most part. The only non-AEW guys who seem set to stick around off this show are Tully's new tag team, and maybe Dalton Castle. Heck, the post-match angle all but made it seem like the Briscoes were retiring (and not, y'know, wrestling another banger like 3 hours later) Which is a shame if you liked the crew that was working for ROH before the shutdown.

The Briscoes getting beat down definitely did not make it seem like they were retiring, this isn't WWE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

It's not including iPPV either, just actually via the TV PPV, I believe.

It includes iPPV.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Personally I would not have given a poo poo about “dude you’ve never heard of buys ROH, swears it will be really good now” as a hook to get me to watch.

A brand new promotion is a whole different thing, and not just because there’s a very clear and obvious jumping on point of “all our stories start from here”, like picking up a tv show right when it starts airing instead of a couple of seasons deep.

Part of what made AEW sound so outlandish when the rumors started floating the Elite were in negotiations with a mystery new promotion was how limiting the concept sounded when we didn't know anything about it. A new ROH level company would just fracture the not WWE market even more. We really did need a company to make a complete break to shake things up and do something new. Someone relaunching ROH in the MGM Grand wouldn't work as well as a new company.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
For the first time in 16+ years I don't own any ROH shows. Some random dude on twitter asked if he could buy all my DVDs and I sold em. He didn't want the shoots though, nor would I ever part with Straight Shootin' with Samoa Joe and CM Punk or Punk and Cabana.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

yea ok posted:

drat i've got like 50 i should sell

Thankfully I still have all my FIP DVDs.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Saul Goode posted:

Quality shows. I had given up by Final Battle 06 but those two were in my collection and I bloody loved them. Still regret giving up Enter the Dragon many years back, the Danielson - Aries match was my number one for a long time. Looking back I can't believe that Aries was my favourite back then... what a bad choice that turned out to be lol.

Austin Aries was one of the best wrestlers in the country from late 2005-2008.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i really liked the debut and then diverging of GenNext from that time period, everything with shelley, strong, aries was good stuff. evans too when he joined later.

Evans was with them from the first night.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

for some reason i have it in my head he joined after alex was kicked out. its been 18 years.

They added Matt Sydal after Shelley joined the Embassy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

It was really weird to have Suzuki be a transitional champ for like a week but whatever. They probably didn't want to retain Rhett Titus and they wanted Joe's appearance at the end of SOH to be a surprise so this is how it had to go down. Regardless of all the title stuff the Joe/Suzuki match was great.

I think they wanted to promote a star for Supercard and a really cool match for Dynamite which made ROH seem like a big deal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Gresham has actually been on every Dynamite but you just don't notice him because short joke.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

Nigel lariating Greshams head off is more believable

I just had the thought that Cage is absolutely taking the title of Gresham if that's the match

That's not believable at all Nigel's lariat would go right over his head.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

2,000 is a great start especially because the prices are not cheap.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Wow the Briscoes are gonna beat FTR in straight falls. Fear The Rednecks

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

so was I, I thought the FTR promo was a setup for them running in!!

No it was a set up for The Briscoes winning in two straight and then rubbing it in Dax's face that his daughter is way tougher than he is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Really freakin excited to go to the show tomorrow, hoping they don't have metal guardrail covers because I will be bummed that I only have second row and can't bang on them if they do.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
As an incredibly rich person who sits front row I am not bringing a sign because I'd block everyone's view.

Unfortunately, the slightly less rich Hulkamatt screwed us and made us sit with the commoners in THE SECOND ROW!!!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Venomous posted:

Tony really needs to stop doing everything by himself, in both companies, or else (a) we will have a lot more Gresham situations (b) Tony will burn himself out.

He doesn't, Chris Daniels is the head of talent relations. Gresham is not the easiest person to deal with. Hopefully they just release him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Long-Time Lurker posted:

What's the story about Gresham being difficult? Supercard of Honor was my first proper introduction to him so I'm not familiar with his reputation backstage.

He thinks he's one of the best in the world and that he doesn't get chances because of his height. Sometimes he says it himself in interviews (he did yesterday before the PPV) sometimes he has Jordynne tweet it for him. He has very specific ideas about what wrestling is which you can see in the shows he tries to promote.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MotU posted:

That sounds like he values himself and his ideas. Weird to mark that as hard to work with, imo

When you or a surrogate are complaining about your booking in public and cursing out management before the show that goes a bit beyond valuing yourself and ideas! Especially when you go out and put on your pouty face for the match. Being easy to work with isn't always a good thing for talent, but what he did is basically the definition of hard to work with. In the end whether this is a good or bad trait depends on someone's evaluation of the talent, but with Gresham I think it's kind of funny.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Coaaab posted:

since the inaugural aew world title match, it has been either the penultimate or final match on the ppv shows

Meanwhile the ROH Tag Titles have often been the main event and the World Title has been at different places on the card depending on what works best.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fart Radio posted:

considering he couldn't make it through a face-to-face conversation with his boss without cursing him out, seems just as likely that actually the lines of communication were open, gresham was just being an rear end in a top hat

Deppen was on the preshow and said it was easy to talk to Tony when he replied to Joey who was saying Tony was easy to talk to, so it doesn't seem like it was an issue was the lines of communication.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lumbermouth posted:

If Tony wants to just be the guy who has nice conversations with people then he needs to hire someone to have the difficult conversations, because it seems like he's bad at having those.

He pretty clearly had a difficult conversation with Gresham just yesterday. From the interview Gresham did that was published before the show it seems like he had his mind made up things weren't going to go well. And again, Daniels is the head of talent relations. So that person exists. Either Daniels is hard to find or some people expect to talk to Tony, not Daniels.

But this doesn't seem like a talent relations conversation anyway it seems like one he wanted to have with the head of creative which is Tony.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thanlis posted:

On the scrum, Tony said he wanted a great match to kick off the show and to set the pace for the night. Rang true last night, rings true now. The tag match almost had to be the last match, and putting the title match right before it accentuates the idea that it's second best. Also I think Caprice and Ian did a good job selling the decision as a literal coin flip.

If you were told the show order and results before the show you might second guess it.

But second guessing it after is just living in an alternate reality. The first match was hotter than it would have been later in the show, and nothing but the tag title match could close that show. Both from a match quality stand point and also from having FTR out there doing 10 minutes of posing, giving kids a special moment and dissing Vince McMahon.

If I'm Gresham I'm probably annoyed at the match length, but you are in there vs a red hot talent who is being pushed as hard as Joe in 2003, and Joe went over Xavier in just under 12 minutes too.

flatluigi posted:

i get the impression from people's mixed impressions on how approachable he is that if you seek out and talk to tony he'll talk to you, but he won't go out and initiate conversations with people without reason, so sitting and waiting for tony is gonna get you nowhere (as mjf found out). idk if that's a good or a bad thing but maybe daniels should start scheduling regular check-ins with everyone to make people not feel ignored

There are definitely stories of Tony just coming up to people to talk or yell LET'S loving GO.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

If Gresham was going over he wouldn't give a poo poo about match time, card placement, or communication issues.

Dude went out there in a T-shirt and pouty face doing his best Low-Ki impression. Claudio is lucky he didn't no-sell him.

Claudio wanted to do a spot where he put his hand on Gresham's forehead while Gresham failed to punch him because his arms are too small but Gresham was insulted at the idea a Pure wrestler would throw punches.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Not sure if it has been posted but Tully did a prison ministry thing instead of DBD which is why he was written out. The Embassy Forever!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Torch is saying Gresham is gone, that he had an altercation with Tony after losing the title and either he was given his release or Tony fired him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rick posted:

I pretty much agree with all this, especially the "bad attitude" narrative part. Maybe it's true this time, maybe it isn't but drat it always being the first thing that comes out when a black wrestler leaves a company is no good.

These are things that have come up around him for months. It has come up regarding Jordynne Grace being his surrogate, issues with how he runs Terminus (flipping out on that ref) and was talked about last night when he came out in the arena when he came out without his octopus mask.

I found it amazing how Gresham will sometimes be held blameless on here for booking abusers and the like while his friend Jay Lethal is (often rightly) hated. But then sometimes Jay is accused of things on here that Gresham actually did!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've only heard of Jay being accused of (multiple instances of) one thing, which is coercing sex from people in exchange for pushes or higher spots on the card. Is Gresham doing that or is there something else?

Someone on here called Jay a pedophile (dating girls in their teens.)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SonicRulez posted:

What the hell is the pro-labor stance? Jon Gresham should actually have beaten Claudio and should be the top guy in ROH and shouldn't lose to anybody like he's done for the last 8 months? His point of contention is entirely about himself. Big Swole's complaint turned out to be the same as more information came out. A wrestler feeling they should be featured more isn't praxis and Gresh and Swole being Black doesn't mean they're right. It's mental seeing the comparison to Vince under the "Aha, stop simping for billionaires" umbrella. When Bobby Lashley left WWE, it was under pretty significantly different circumstances. Khan didn't rush to sign a Keith Lee whose health is still kinda uncertain or completely heatless Athena because he hates Black talent.

I know, lots of words. But I think the throughline from Cody to MJF to Brian Cage to Big Swole to Jonathan Gresham is simply that pro wrestlers will tell Khan they don't like their booking and want different/more money and he's not opposed to saying no. So the talent leaves. That's what's going to happen with Santana when his leg recovers. And that's ok. That's completely fine and frankly good. Wrestlers should be able to say they do not like what one booker is doing and go to another. It's not an indictment on anyone involved in the process inherently.

Now hey, if it turns out Khan used a slur or something, yeah. Down with TK, we'll all migrate to Joshi. But wanting to put Claudio over and not letting Jonathan Gresham shout him into changing that is so not anti-labor. Stop using words you only kinda understand!

The pro labor stance is that Low Ki and Hulk Hogan were right, and I am pro-labor, especially when it comes to Mr. Ki.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Integrated Houston posted:

Walking out is the most interesting thing Gresham has ever done since I've become aware of him. The real tragedy here is that the discussion surrounding him has glossed over the true creative malfeasance on the show, which was putting Martinez over Deeb for reasons as yet inexplicable.

Mercedes debuted in ROH 16 years ago and is really good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mods please change the thread title to

WATCH ROH ON YOUR COMPUTER

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there anywhere to “get” the old ROH DVDs that are out of print

The only way is to be randomly searching ROH on twitter when I tweeted about all of my old DVDs in storage and buying them on the spot.

He wouldn't take the shoot interviews if I included them for free. (Except the Joe/Punk/Cabana shoots I will never part with them.)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cocaine is Abel posted:

Why was there a John cena dvd for sale on ROH

Because they sold DVDs from everywhere.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

yea ok posted:

i stopped watching wrestling in like 2002 or something and then i got back into it when benoit killed his family lol. joined #wh2k the only place to be and learned about roh, immediately pirated everything they'd ever done up to that point, and the live shows were building to man up & project 161 poo poo. MRT would be upset when I would say I'm watching kenta vs roderick strong and he knew i pirated it. but he also knew, oh that's from ROH Throwdown. Of course. Everybody knows that. Nothing like being completely invested.

Need to check if KENTA offers cameos to have him curse you out for that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

yea ok posted:

fun match to think of: bryan danielson vs alex shelley from arena warfare

Which was probably Danielson's second best defense to that point (behind the second Strong match)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

blast0rama posted:

I went to Philly/NJ area indie shows from like mid 2002 until right around the Benoit deal.

First ROH show in person was Road to the Title. Had every show on DVD from the first through Final Battle 2006, sold them all on eBay to get my first HDTV.

I got to watch Liger in the US. The CZW/ROH feud. Both nights with Kobashi.

It was a great time.

How much weight did you sweat off in the 100+ degree heat of the Murphy Rec Center during Crowning a Champion?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maigius posted:

How does that compare to historical numbers and the various TNA/Impact no numbers?

It's the biggest ROH PPV ever.

G1 Supercard did 20,000+
Supercard this year did 18,000+

Various Sinclair era shows did 10-15,000. (And did much less towards the end. But I think a big Cody show did 15 and some of the early ones did 10.)

TNA PPVs during their hot period in 2005 did 25-30,000 buys without TV. That dropped to 25,000 as things slowed down.

They averaged 10,000 during the Russo era.

The overall biggest TNA PPVs were

Lockdown 2008 (Joe vs Angle 5) 70-80,000
Genesis 2006 (Joe vs Angle 1) 70,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

not to be funny but I genuinely wonder what match TK could put together for the next show that'll be as much of a draw as FTR/Briscoes

plenty of time to figure that out I suppose

The tease at the end of the show made me think we might get FTR vs Claudio and Yuta at All Out to set up Dax challenging for the ROH title on PPV.