Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Admittedly I didn't watch much ROH toward the end, I was more into them during the Danielson/Joe/Punk era. But I'd tune in every so often to their free weekly show since Fite posts them, and mostly to follow luchadores I liked like Horus and Flamita. So my curiosity now is mostly what the ROH roster's going to look like once the dust settles and all the ink dries - who comes back and who's gone elsewhere. This was by all accounts a hastily booked card because it had to be, so a lot of the appearances are probably one-offs. Once they get a regular TV deal and have a full roster, I wonder whether it'll still feel like ROH, or something different entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've always wondered - especially now - has Tony Khan ever talked about why he didn't just make moves to buy ROH after All In, instead of starting a new company from scratch? The EVPs were already there and the company already had a ton of history.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
World Bhampionship Wrestling

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

El Generico posted:

Seems like a situation borne out of necessity.
That seems to be the case for all the belts: Get them all off of freelancers who might not stick around if they get other offers before ROH gets regular content.

World - Had to settle the two belts angle with Bandido first, but Gresham is probably a lock to sign.

Tag - Briscoes likely won't be back on a Turner show, so their status would be in limbo anyway unless ROH TV gets a non-Turner network (which is possible since TK owns it independently).

Pure - Josh Woods got some Dark content so I don't know if they have any plans for him, but the title switch dovetailed perfectly with Yuta trying to get legit cred for BCC.

TV - In Suzuki's case it seemed more like he was in town that weekend, never had a US title before, and Joe needed to be an end-show surprise, so why not? TK gets a dream match, and Suzuki's likely going home soon anyway. It also gives the belt immediate cred for Joe beating a legendary murderman for it rather than an unsigned Rhett Titus.

Women - Deonna had schedule conflicts and is signed to Impact, so Interim makes sense here until they can book her (unless they do Mercedes/Deonna on Impact again).

Six-Man - They haven't mentioned anything, so maybe they're dropping them? Or maybe they'll reintroduce them as floating ROH/AEW trios belts? Though Vincent is in Impact now with the Honor No More invasion, and the other two champions, uh... just did a CYN tag match. 🤡

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It feels really strange for them to get a lifetime ban from Turner channels at this point.

Supposedly it's just one Turner exec who hates them, and yeah, it's pretty weird.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Saul Goode posted:

I cannot believe that story was not just a smokescreen to give TK an excuse not to sign the Briscoes for whatever reason. There is no way that a mysterious "Turner executive" is extremely online enough to know about the Briscoes' tweets from a decade ago and care enough to blacklist them despite their apologies and the people who have vocally supported them, yet not give a poo poo about Jake Hager or Jay Lethal for example. I really hope that the story was just put out there to give them a bigger pop when they do finally turn up on Dynamite (after the lights go out).
I work in media and I could definitely believe it; people get blackballed for far less all the time, and it's usually one executive looking at a few notes and saying "nope, next" rather than the agenda you're picturing. From a PR perspective (and I'm not saying I agree with this at all), tangible things like footage of rebel flags and bad tweets are considered far more damning to their public image than "mere" accusations, unless the latter has actual charges attached.

Media companies hire entire SEO staff to be "extremely online", so they likely ran extensive research on everyone on the roster. When Turner was bought out by WarnerMedia they moved away from their Southern image, so if the negative info that popped up about the Briscoes was "1) displays Confederate flags and 2) are vocally homophobic" - whether or not it's still true - it's flagged as bad PR.

But like I said, TK could put ROH on another network since he owns it separately. The only snag there is that until ROH gets regular TV, they're free to sign anywhere else, and seem to have already done that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It looks like a hardware store logo.

Need plumbing? Lighting? A fresh coat of paint? Get all your home improvement supplies at ROH!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If you're itching for pre-buyout ROH roster content, Bandido vs Flamita is main eventing MLW Fusion tonight. Just, uh, skip over the nZo match.

I really hope Bandido, Flamita, and Horus all land back in ROH once the dust has settled. They deserve somewhere with an actual budget and hype machine.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If they do a Deeb/Martinez match on the card, I hope they continue tagging afterward anyway, even as rivals. Their dynamic is too fun to pass up.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

I feel like Deeb's character is way too much of an egomaniac for that to happen but it would be cool if they started a women's version of BCC
FWIW, there was an interview segment last week (on Elevation?) where Serena told Mercedes she respects her history in the business and is cool with partnering as long as Mercedes doesn't cross her, so they've kind of addressed that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

FTR will probably win and it will probably go to a third fall but I really hope the Briscoes win and I would love it if they swept in 2 straight falls

I really doubt that will happen though because Tony won't want to make FTR look weak and I doubt that FTR will lose any of their belts before winning the AEW belts first
It may come down to whether or not Dem Boys get signed back to ROH. They dropped the Impact belts pretty quickly, and supposedly post-Discovery merger Warner doesn't care about past controversies nearly as much.

If ROH is announcing a TV deal soon, I'd bank on FTR dropping the tag belts so they can launch the show with the Briscoes as champs.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really appreciate that their ROH presentation is noticeably different than AEW's Road To episodes. The interview segments have a different framing and setup with simple black backgrounds, and cutting to guys like Riccaboni with a city background feel less big budget. The only time it feels like AEW is when they cut to dramatically shot AEW footage, but once they get it back off the ground they won't even have to anymore.

Question about Pure rules: If you locked someone up in a ropes move like Tajiri's Tarantula, it would be legal if they had already exhausted their 3 rope breaks. But if you did it when they still had rope breaks left, and then stopped it before the referee's 5 count, would that count as a rope break?

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 20, 2022

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Honor No More gonna sign new deals and come back to ROH as OK Maybe Honor Some More

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pinwiz11 posted:

And then We Have Honor At Home

That's just MLW :v:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Bring a sign that says "Angelico for Pure Division, I'm sure you already have this idea in mind but for chrissakes put the guy on TV, he just got a chill new summer jam and it's already late July"

Or just the first part, I'm not your mom.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The post-match hug makes me hope they go back to tagging again after working out their differences. That would be a really fun dynamic.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flashy_mcflash posted:

FTR/Redragon? Future Shock?
TimeSplitters maybe?

I'm honestly surprised AEW hasn't used Shelley yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I didn't watch the Flair thing so I did a double-take at them saying Blake Christian had wrestled for Jim Crockett Promotions.

Unless he's secretly like 60 years old :tinfoil: