Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This was the first ROH show I've ever seen (to my great regret, I wish it had been easier to get back in the day because I would have been extremely into it) and holy gently caress what a show.

The Briscoes - FTR match was one of the best matches I've ever seen, and none of the other matches were close to bad. Tony Khan is a madman and he absolutely must NOT be stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm almost literally salivating thinking about all the cool poo poo Tony's gonna be able to do now that he owns both RoH and AEW. Not use RoH like a farm league or anything, but a secondary show with its own vibe, having people drift between the two shows and giving time to people who might not currently get the spotlight on AEW shows.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Also props to Willow. She still needs some training and experience, but she's pretty solid already and had a great promo before the match. Lots of fun, sign her up, Tony!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pylons posted:

Does anyone else think there's an opening to bring in another luchador (Dragon Lee/RUSH or Demonic Flamita maybe) under Chavo to feud with Bandido with the way the match went recently?

That was a super fun spot, haven't seen a wrestler get so disgusted by their cheating-rear end manager's antics that they have them ejected. Also really enjoyed the Jay Lethal turn with him obviously being agonized over getting so desperate as to cheat.

Of course by the end of the show he seemed to be a bit more comfortable with it, but it was still fun to see.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Elephant Ambush posted:

Andrade did the same thing to Chavo Jr. last year, except that when Andrade found out that Chavo cheated he punched him out. It was great.

Oh yeah, he did! I had completely forgotten that weird short period where they had Chavo manage Andrade. Luckily they moved away from that, because Andrade + Jose is a great duo all by themselves, and without Andrade being allowed to cut his own promos we would've missed out on "Mr. Stink" and "Okay, how you know".

smarxist posted:

i can't believe this FTR/Briscoes match, holy gently caress

It's drat near the perfect match. The crowd is so loving pumped for the match from the first moment, and both teams are working their asses off. Great spots, insane work rate, good story.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 2, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Joe's new theme is a banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGze9ZIwzw

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

El Generico posted:

The Brian Cage debut squash match is always great

The problems come after that

Yeah but then he'll put a man through a drum like in a Bugs Bunny cartoon so it's hard to hate him too much.

https://i.imgur.com/qVkJt8n.mp4

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gaz-L posted:

Heck, the post-match angle all but made it seem like the Briscoes were retiring (and not, y'know, wrestling another banger like 3 hours later) Which is a shame if you liked the crew that was working for ROH before the shutdown.

What

They got ambushed by the Young Bucks, clearly setting up an angle between them and the Bucks down the road which is the polar opposite of retiring.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Guillermus posted:

Does anyone have a gif of Dax throwing a chair into the ring and Paul Turner catching it mid-air and gesturing "No" with his finger like a badass? That was loving great

I do, now.

https://i.imgur.com/3jFfb6H.mp4

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sticklefifer posted:

Tag - Briscoes likely won't be back on a Turner show, so their status would be in limbo anyway unless ROH TV gets a non-Turner network (which is possible since TK owns it independently).

That seems ... strange tbh. The poo poo they said back in the day was real dumb and reprehensible, but they have very vocally, repeatedly and clearly apologized for those comments and also by all accounts made significant steps towards correcting their behaviour and becoming better people.

It feels really strange for them to get a lifetime ban from Turner channels at this point.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I am so loving god drat hyped for FTR - Briscoes II.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sticklefifer posted:

I really appreciate that their ROH presentation is noticeably different than AEW's Road To episodes.

Yeah this is also why I like that Tony is keeping ROH and AEW separate instead of making ROH like... I dunno, AEW Ring of Honor. Let them have their own identities and styles, and have people cross over when it makes sense.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

eldemiror posted:

Personally , I think both the AEW and ROH products have kind of lost the thread since the beginning of the year.

I agree that the RoH product lost the thread when the company closed down and lost all their media channels. I don't agree that it's an indictment on Tony Khan, who is trying to keep the wheels spinning and to rebuild the company in the span of a few months after buying it later in the spring.

As for AEW, it's kinda natural. The end of the year was the conclusion of the biggest storyline in wrestling, Hangman's chase. It coincided with Kenny Omega going away to rehab his numerous injuries. It's not terribly surprising that the storylines since haven't been as effective or noteworthy as Hangman's tale.

But Kenny's almost ready to come back, and that will almost definitely kick off the Elite vs Redragon war and a bunch of other simmering storylines. Especially considering how much they've had to reshuffle due to injuries I have to say it's kinda impressive how well AEW is doing this year.

THIS ALL BEING SAID. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. Some storylines have kind of fallen by the wayside, but that's not an easy problem to fix. They have three hours of TV every week, and let's be honest, Rampage is very much the B show where not a lot of hugely important stuff happens. I have no idea what they can do about this.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Swole is the only one I can think of. Lio Rush also left but that got a "well that sucks but Lio's gonna Lio" reaction, mostly.

And Swole didn't so much get always badded as just kind of lost all sympathy when he started sniping at Jade on Twitter. Prior to that people were mostly in the "Tony shouldn't have tweeted that" camp.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gumball Gumption posted:

Personally I stopped "siding with labor" when Swole decided some wrestlers were not black enough to be in her spot

Yeah Swole really couldn't have handled that poo poo worse if she tried.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lamuella posted:

Ring Of Honor Countdown dropped this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2GT2ORD540

Several pretty big "hey we got TV" hints dropped in there. Riccaboni saying things like "it marks the commencement of something that will hopefully catapult Ring Of Honor into a new era"

They have bought a literal catapult and will fire Jay Lethal into the ocean.

But seriously if they roll out a streaming deal, I will definitely subscribe. Some kind of combined AEW + ROH pass on FITE would be ideal. Or poo poo, just included in the AEW Plus subscription.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

RoH Honor Club Honor thoughts:

PROS:
- Good wrestling
- Reasonable price since you also get the back catalogue, which appears to be extensive
- Picture quality is good, if not spectacular

CONS:
- No Android TV app
- Even sideloaded, the Android app doesn't actually work on Android TV (or at least not on my nVidia Shield)
- Android and IOS apps aren't available in Finland meaning I have to cast from my janky-rear end laptop
- The website is also kinda janky, discoverability is not great meaning exploring the back catalogue is a bit of a pain

I'm probably in for as long as this keeps going because I love good wrestling but it feels like there's a lot of work on the technical side of things to do, because the experience isn't as great as you'd like for 2023.

E: I also had some reservations about them shooting this in the same cave as the do AEW Dark because good lord those crowds are AWFUL, but it seems the RoH name actually lured in people who care about wrestling and are into it and make noise.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 4, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pylons posted:

Weird, there's an app on my android TV.

Really? I guess it's just region locked as well. I'll have to check out if I can find an APK of that, because it would immediately eliminate about 3/4 of my complaints.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

flashy_mcflash posted:

I watched the show on my nVidia Shield and got the app through the play store gimmick on there, no sideloading needed.

Yeah I would too if the app was available in my region but for some bizarre reason it's not, despite being able to sub to Honor Club perfectly fine without a VPN or anything.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ganso Bomb posted:

God drat.

Very stoked for Trish/Billie.

That was a drat good match. It's nuts that Billie Starkz is 18, because she's already so polished. Obviously still room for improvement, but she's got vicious looking strikes and her transitions are solid, which are both problems for so many of AEW's women.

Also Lariat Tubman is one of the best move names I've heard.

It's so much fun seeing Dalton and the Boys in action, and I love the "Dal-ton Cas-tle! AND! THE! BOYS!" chants. That promo was also excellent, bragging about moving a lot of heavy furniture as their warmup. Owns. Overall that was a hell of a show. I'm just gonna say it: RoH is my favourite western wrestling right now, even though that may be recency bias brought on by this week's disappointing Dynamite. It reminds me of early AEW in the best way. Or I guess it would be more accurate to say that early AEW was a lot like RoH even though I didn't know it at the time.

E: Yuta is a really good wrestler and I really like him, but I just can't buy him as a sadistic bastard. He seems too nice, whereas for instance with Timothy Thatcher he somehow looks like he just rolled out of Stu Hart's dungeon and is itching to pull someone's limbs out of their sockets.

E2: I think it's the gear and his look. He's got too clean a haircut, his beard is styled, he's got colourful and stylized (ugly as it may be) gear. Thatcher, Mox, Danielson, Suzuki and all the other real violence freaks look like they don't give a gently caress about anything other than cranking someone's arm into pretzels, and certainly not their look. Maybe if he grew out his beard and hair and just wore basic black gear or something?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 10, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Penguin Patrol posted:

THOSE FUCKERS RUINED SERPENTICO'S MASK!!!!!!

I hope someone kicks their asses!

Also Ben Dejo is an A+ tier name.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

apophenium posted:

In addition to just being a stellar event Supercard of Honor got me to subscribe to Honor Club. This Thursday I am gonna Watch ROH on my Computer. And hell I may even peruse the video library in the meantime.

Welcome aboard, the rebooted RoH has been some of my favourite wrestling of 2023. It just hits right.

But on the topic of the video library, could more experienced RoH heads recommend some good classic shows or matches to catch up on? There's just so much back log that starting to watch blind isn't really feasible.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bonk posted:

Athena should've won that TBS title feud.

She 100% should have. That's one of Tony's biggest gently caress-ups.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MassRafTer posted:

She definitely should not have and I am thankful she didn't and found herself and a great new character in the aftermath.

karmicknight posted:

Yeah, TBS Champion babyface Athena would eventually have to turn into anime weirdo heel Athena and I don't know if that happens on the timeline it does without her losing to Jade.

Yeah those are good points. I've been very pro Athena since her AEW debut, but there's no denying that her new brutal heel character has been insanely good, and if it took losing the TBS title for that to happen then that's worth it.

Also I am watching RoH on my computer, and this six man tag match was fully sick.

E:

I've said this before but ROOOOSH has one of the best themes in the business. Shame the match was so quick.

Hey, the Notorious Mimi! Nice to see her, even though it was a quick match.

The Even Stevens is a great name for a tag team and a fun dumb indie-rear end gimmick. You love to see it.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 7, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Update: the RoH app is now officially available in Finland, both on Android AND Android TV.

The app itself isn't amazing, but it's functional. It'd be nice to see the ability to login from a computer, and of course the discoverability could be a lot better, but hey: I can watch RoH, on my nVidia Shield.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK, anyone seen this in the RoH Android TV App: it keeps logging me out. Literally every time I start it up, it prompts me to log in, and because it's a very badly made app it doesn't have like a web hook login or anything, and I have to enter my loving as5123FSDF123!"# rear end password in manually with my nVidia Shield's remote.

Tony why do you hate us?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm catching up on RoH and holy loving poo poo this Athena vs Mazerati match from episode 033. I know it gets said a lot, but lol at WWE having Athena and just completely squandering her.

Let's pretend I didn't watch RoH for a couple of months because of real life poo poo, what should I watch from let's say the past 12 episodes or so? Any real bangers?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pylons posted:

It's kind of tough to say because I think every match on Honor Club is generally at least good but you can't go wrong with any of Athena's stuff. Her recent defense against Leyla Hirsch is the best match Hirsch has ever had.

Alright I'll go watch that.

Holy poo poo QT Marshall's Mexican colour outfit. I bet the guy is getting nuclear heat in Mexico :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pylons posted:

I'll go back through the cagematch record and check and see if any of these jog the memory. Kojima vs. Tony Nese was really solid, that one immediately jumps to mind.

Oh yeah, that's right, I keep forgetting Cagematch exists. I'll go check out good picks from there!