Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

there are municipal taxes but no council tax, that's a british thing. remember to register yourself with the local government once you move in, i remember i didn't have to do that in the UK. everything basically goes through the municipality. get a house with a heat pump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Lungboy posted:

Thanks. The heat pump is something i've learnt just from looking at the energy prices and spotting some houses have pumps or even district heating. It makes house hunting even harder in an already crazy market though.

i have no idea how you would buy a house here right now. inflation and prices are insane and everything is overheated. in the UK i would just rent but here that's nearly always a terrible deal. i don't know about the west because i never lived there but i guess zoetermeer is a relatively cheap place to live, although it has a reputation for being boring. there's a few villages around delft too but i guess they're all also expensive. maybe rijswijk/den haag still has something but den haag has a few bad neighborhoods, although i don't know how bad those actually are now

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

also keep in mind that the current housing market is almost certainly a japan-style bubble and that it will crash, the netherlands has the highest debt per capita worldwide because of mortgages, when the bubble finally bursts it'll be a disaster and that moment does seem to be close. if you buy a house now there's a chance it will still gain in value for a while or remain stable at best but there's a very good chance that the value will crash