Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lizzo pretty much completely crushed the whole episode of SNL. Also the Weekend Update was pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxLG16tdOfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar4FLqPS8RE

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This open is atrocious

Edit: I love when a sketch is actually just copying poo poo from TikTok

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 17, 2022

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
That had to be one of the worst episodes in some time.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Lizzo pretty much completely crushed the whole episode of SNL. Also the Weekend Update was pretty good

Cyril Sneer posted:

this show is remarkable in its ability to generate polar opposite reactions

I liked it, though if you're the kind of person who hates it when the host breaks for some reason you'd probably have a hard time with this one

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve enjoyed the last 3 weeks a bunch, sketches haven’t been anything amazing for the most part but the hosts have raised it.

I watched the Linda Hamilton episode from 91 as a curiosity the other day, and it kinda amazed me how amazing the cast was in comparison to how mundane and boring the show itself was. Yes, it has an It’s Pat sketch, how did you guess.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Cyril Sneer posted:

Oh wow, do you write for AV Club?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

General Dog posted:

Oh wow, do you write for AV Club?
weirdly the AV Club's old SNL reviewing curmudgeon who is now at Paste loved this one while his new standin at the AV Club hated it

truly a show of contrasts

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

a new study bible! posted:

This open is atrocious

Leto and Trump were funny, the rest not so much.

Some of the sketches felt overlong for the punchline they were setting up, and they've had 'game show' sketches in the last four episodes.

I guess Melissa Villaseñor will just be playing Mexican guys now.

Disappointing that Food and Youtube was bumped but another unfunny Please Don't Destroy sketch made it to air.

On the upside, About drat Time is a great song.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
Casual watcher but I liked last night's show. Lizzo brought a great energy even if the acting wasn't A+, I still had fun. Some other notes:
-That Jared Leto make-up was good. Honestly thought they got him to come in at first.
-Favorite part of the show was with the 6-Flags people and during the "sad-version" of the 6-flags theme near the end.
-Interesting to see the age dynamic between writers and actors. They had Andrew Dismukes play a character who's been saving Beanie Babies since 93, even though he wasn't even born yet.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Lizzo’s a solid host I just thought most of the sketches were bad

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Are we sure that Mikey Day isn’t actually a cake?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I thought the episode was a hoot, maybe some weak writing around but I laughed a lot. The ancient orgy was standout to me, most people seemed to be ready to break on that one, seemed like everyone was having a lot of fun. That being said I am a little sick of PDD, even when they are really funny, it doesn't fit right with the snl format IMO.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I had no idea, so I googled the salaries for SNL cast members.
Holy gently caress. Not bad for, in some cases, just showing up to rehearse a couple of lines per episode and maybe some writer credits as well.

Also, Pete's net worth (estimated at 8mn) is mindboggling to me.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Is PDDs whole thing that they're not allowed to leave their office? Like some kind of Faustian bargain situation?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Lizzo was fine but the skits were dire.

Lets see:

- The cold open didn't have any actual jokes; the humour relying on the LOL WACKY gimmick. I also hate how they portray Trump as merely a doddering old man rather than the actual terrible person he is.

- The game show skit fell completely flat. It was literally just "annoying contestant". There was no more depth to it than that. You could've replaced the game show setup with a half-dozen other premises and pasted more-or-less exactly the same dialogue overtop.

- A Black-Eyed Peas skit in TYOOL 2022? Really? It felt extremely stale (this will be a recurring theme)

- WU was good as usual (because they actually do jokes here, mostly, in-between the clappter) EXCEPT the interview bit with Melissa V. Mind of Mencia? Really? That whole bit felt about 15 years past its prime.

- Orgy skit was okay for variety, but would've been funnier if they actually denied certain rolls. E.g,. if they kicked out the fire-eater, who then kept showing up again as different (lame) carnival characters.

- A Beanie Baby reference in TYOOL 2022? Really? Again, stale.

- The PDD skits suck in general and just don't fit with the SNL vibe.

- A paid TikTok skit. A commercial. Pass.

(not to mention it was also based on LOL WACKY humour)

- The 6 Flags skit was pretty good, but they should've gone weirder with it, OR, just stuck to the one grandpa repeatedly interrupting with his old-man habits ("oops sorry think I left my toothbrush down here!" - DANCE / "sure is chilly just want to turn up that thermostat a bit" - DANCE, etc.)

----

Seriously, what was with all the weirdly-dated references!?

Cyril Sneer fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 18, 2022

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
To be fair, the Beanie Baby skit's whole point was that the time to cash in on the craze was over roughly 25 years ago.

But the rest of the dated stuff didn't have much of a point. I can't believe the Black Eye Peas skit alluded to how badly the word "retarded" was going to age when back in the day, it almost immediately was seen as inappropriate, and it was changed to "Let's get it started" so swiftly that a lot of the audience who even remember the original song at all might not have ever heard the version with the original lyrics. Also, how are you going to talk about dated lyrics and completely glaze over "I'm so two thousand and eight / You're so two thousand and late"?

That said, I thought the episode was OK.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Cyril Sneer posted:

Seriously, what was with all the weirdly-dated references!?
as an increasingly dated individual I truly don't mind

the kids can have their TikToks and their InstaChat and I'll watch this show with the Double Dare and You Can't Do That On Television skits so I can feel a tiny bit of that boomer cultural domination force

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'm gonna be honest, I loved the Black Eyed Peas sketch. It hit on so many things I've wondered about their songs for so long. It just worked for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

thrawn527 posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I loved the Black Eyed Peas sketch. It hit on so many things I've wondered about their songs for so long. It just worked for me.

It's not like one of the most famous SNL sketches of all time wasn't based around an oddity in a 20+ year old song either.

Also, the Jesus/Jared Leto gag in the opener made it worthwhile and Melissa V killed it in Update imo.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

mcbexx posted:

I had no idea, so I googled the salaries for SNL cast members.
Holy gently caress. Not bad for, in some cases, just showing up to rehearse a couple of lines per episode and maybe some writer credits as well.

Also, Pete's net worth (estimated at 8mn) is mindboggling to me.

A rapper that you’ve possibly never heard of has a 17 million dollar diamond that he paid in full for implanted in his forehead so that net worth almost seems kind of low, considering Pete has a pretty happening career outside of SNL.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

8 million for a widely known celebrity does actually seem pretty low these days.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe Pete blew it all on drugs, rehab, and a ferry boat?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
And a house for he and his mom!

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Cyril Sneer posted:

- The PDD skits suck in general and just don't fit with the SNL vibe.

- The 6 Flags skit was pretty good, but they should've gone weirder with it, OR, just stuck to the one grandpa repeatedly interrupting with his old-man habits ("oops sorry think I left my toothbrush down here!" - DANCE / "sure is chilly just want to turn up that thermostat a bit" - DANCE, etc.)

Actually the PDD skit was, as always, one of the best of the night and the 6 flags skit was god awful :colbert:

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 18, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kind of surprised to see the anti-PDD sentiment; I think they're generally pretty funny. It's a change in pace from the rest of the show for sure, but I think that's generally a good thing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I think the show was meh. I laughed my rear end off at the Black Eyed Peas sketch even though it's like a decade too late two-thousand-late, just like the six flags man sketch.

It felt like it was a grab bag of weird poo poo that people dusted off to run this week, half the sketches felt like someone got high and pitched them.

Lizzo is a great double-duty host and they should absolutely have her as many times as she wants to be on, but give her some better material.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 18, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't hate PDD either, there are a dozen of us itt! I don't think the cast needs 3 more of the dude those guys are, but I like their comedy troupe sidebits being self contained well enough. I liked when Lonely Island kind of got the same deal, they all worked for SNL, two not in main cast but jorma and akiva both showed up in digital shorts and other things now and then. Just here none of them are main cast and that's fine, cast doesn't need to get any bigger. Although I guess that still just means they all get at least one thing every episode while some of the newbies still tryna get in them "anyone" roles.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like them too, the fake behind the scenes thing is fun.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
PDD even showed up on a live sketch once, didn’t they?

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
They've made sketches and shorts that are funny so it's not beyond their ability, having most of them set in that office just feels a bit lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEywOaEcIQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekHIH6UxGXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Ki96Lsxhc

https://twitter.com/martinmherlihy/status/1374753372490719234

It's unfair to compare them to The Lonely Island, I doubt SNL (or any other show) is likely to find a group as talented as they are.

Just Chamber posted:

Actually the PDD skit was, as always, one of the best of the night and the 6 flags skit was god awful :colbert:

They were both bad.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Count me as another who really likes PDD. They’re not always great, but they have a better batting average than most SNL sketches, I think. And feeling different than the normal SNL sketches is a strength, to me, not a weakness.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I thought the Lizzo episode was funnier than the Jake G episode.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oof, the classic tonight is from '97 when Mike Myers hosted, they just made a joke about Tim Meadows staying too long and killing his chance at a successful career. That was in his 6th season.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Pretty much all the sketches were bad. Not being critical of Lizzo here, because the sketches from all the episodes are mostly bad.

I’d love to read a tell all about the last 5 years of SNL. Are they just generally out of touch? Or are good sketches getting strong armed out?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

a new study bible! posted:

Pretty much all the sketches were bad. Not being critical of Lizzo here, because the sketches from all the episodes are mostly bad.

I’d love to read a tell all about the last 5 years of SNL. Are they just generally out of touch? Or are good sketches getting strong armed out?

the basic structure of SNL is basically what it was 40 years ago and almost every sketch is 1 joke stretched out to 4 minutes. Which is why the best parts are usually weekend update and the pre-taped bits where the writers get a little more freedom. With the regular sketches sometimes you get a few gems out of it but its not an easy format to work with.

I still watch it and (kinda) enjoy it every week but I've tempered my expectations. It feels more like a holdover from my childhood then anything, like if SNL premiered tomorrow for the first time I'd probably watch one episode and never turn it on again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol @ best bits being weekend update. I get an SNL Monkey Paw, first wish is cutting WU altogether. Next is a ban on political cold open.

edit: If nothing else, I just can't stand when they lob softballs and then act like they just belted out a stinger. Some of that is bizarre audience sensitivity, but a lot of it is just their style i think

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 24, 2022

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Weekend Update is cool and good but yeah the political cold opens are a groan everytime

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

JAJ is a fantastic Trump/Biden but it seems like that well has run dry of anything funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Khanstant posted:

lol @ best bits being weekend update. I get an SNL Monkey Paw, first wish is cutting WU altogether. Next is a ban on political cold open.

edit: If nothing else, I just can't stand when they lob softballs and then act like they just belted out a stinger. Some of that is bizarre audience sensitivity, but a lot of it is just their style i think

I mean, I think most people think Weekend Update is the best part. Not saying that popularity equals quality, but you shouldn’t really be surprised that people think that. “I only watch until Weekend Update is done” has been a cliché for a long loving time.

But yeah, I agree about the political cold opens. I think they’re always trying to relive the high life of the George W sketches, or Sarah Palin. But they just don’t have the juice for it anymore.