Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
arsenal play like complete dogshit under arteta

hes capable of setting them up defensively so that they fluke some big matches, thats it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
If you look at the Arsenal squad back to front, it’s pretty amazing that they were only two points off of Chelsea in April and will finish 5th. Arteta deserves some credit for that.

On the other hand, they’ve been rubbish going forward since Arteta took over, and I’m not sure it’s just a personnel issue. I don’t think he knows how to set up a team to create goals, which is kind of important if you have any ambition at all.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I’ve been banging on about this for a while now, but I’m pretty confident that Arteta’s system is entirely reliant on having a big physical striker who can convert a large volume of low quality chances into a decent amount of goals. You can debate whether that’s a reasonable system to have(it isn’t). More importantly, it hasn’t even been proven to work when there’s a big lad up front. Arsenal are in deep enough with Arteta that they might as well get a big striker and find out, but if that doesn’t work he’s got to go.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shitshow posted:

If you look at the Arsenal squad back to front, it’s pretty amazing that they were only two points off of Chelsea in April and will finish 5th. Arteta deserves some credit for that.

If Chelsea and United hadn't been massively below par (Chelsea for the latter part of the season, United for fuckin all of it), Arsenal would be qualifying for the conference league at best. Lacazette and Aubamayang declined massively under Arteta and despite the comment that he can "set them up defensively", that defence is easily bullied, rash in the challenge and poor positionally. Much is made of the fact he learned from Pep but I can't see tactically what Arteta is going for or what he's coaching them to do.

This is going by the handful of Arsenal matches I've seen admittedly but when I have watched they've always been a whisker away from a stupid red card or a comedy goal conceded while spamming crosses at tiny youngsters or Odegaard loving corners up.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

blue footed boobie posted:

I’ve been banging on about this for a while now, but I’m pretty confident that Arteta’s system is entirely reliant on having a big physical striker who can convert a large volume of low quality chances into a decent amount of goals. You can debate whether that’s a reasonable system to have(it isn’t). More importantly, it hasn’t even been proven to work when there’s a big lad up front. Arsenal are in deep enough with Arteta that they might as well get a big striker and find out, but if that doesn’t work he’s got to go.

Ade Akinfenwa is out of contract, tbf

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

blue footed boobie posted:

Is that not Madrid's style this year? I agree it's not necessarily what you want to bed in as a five year plan, but I don't think it's the worst idea.

If that is what they're going for, it may also help them to be not aping City and Liverpool, partly because they won't be competing for the same players and partly because teams won't be practising countermeasures to that style.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Madrid have one of the two best players in the world atm and are playing to that so I’m not really sure that it’s the same thing. Regardless I’d say that a good manager should be able to adapt his system to not having one very specific kind of player. But hey, if Arsenal get that player and Arteta’s whole plan comes together then that would be very cool.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
I’m just surprised you know what kind of system Arteta is going for because, after watching him manage for two and half years now, I sure as heck don’t.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Backdoor Delivery posted:

Weren't Arsenal top of the league in January?
Also, was that the last time Arsenal finished above Spurs?

Where the gently caress would you get that idea from? They were 18 points off the top on January 1st

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shitshow posted:

I’m just surprised you know what kind of system Arteta is going for because, after watching him manage for two and half years now, I sure as heck don’t.

Tbf I only know it because there have been a couple times where he’s been challenged about the team’s scoring record and he’s responded by touting the number of crosses they had and arguing that those should convert into goals eventually.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

Where the gently caress would you get that idea from? They were 18 points off the top on January 1st

They're talking about 2015-16, when spurs finished third in a two horse race, and yeah looks like arsenal were top of the table at some point in january but back down to 4th in february

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Silly me

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

If Chelsea and United hadn't been massively below par (Chelsea for the latter part of the season, United for fuckin all of it), Arsenal would be qualifying for the conference league at best. Lacazette and Aubamayang declined massively under Arteta and despite the comment that he can "set them up defensively", that defence is easily bullied, rash in the challenge and poor positionally. Much is made of the fact he learned from Pep but I can't see tactically what Arteta is going for or what he's coaching them to do.

This is going by the handful of Arsenal matches I've seen admittedly but when I have watched they've always been a whisker away from a stupid red card or a comedy goal conceded while spamming crosses at tiny youngsters or Odegaard loving corners up.

when has 69 points ever finished 7th op

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

UnderFreddy posted:

Nice

You don't have 69 points though and have taken points off both the teams I mentioned making GBS threads the bed this year

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

UnderFreddy posted:

actually 69 points and your goal differential wouldve seen you finish 7th in 2016-17, hth op

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Nice

You don't have 69 points though and have taken points off both the teams I mentioned making GBS threads the bed this year

i think its fairly common for a team to get one win and one loss against similar quality teams.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
What’s the magic set of results to get a 39th game?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Total Meatlove posted:

What’s the magic set of results to get a 39th game?

https://mobile.twitter.com/brfootball/status/1526669839267405824

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol lets do it

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

That can’t possibly be how goal differential works. Or is that the joke??

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

The Kingfish posted:

Points, goal difference, goals for, head to head.

I guess they could use number of corners as a fifth metric..

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

ozmunkeh posted:

Points, goal difference, goals for, head to head.

I guess they could use number of corners as a fifth metric..

I don't think head to head ever comes into play in the Premier League, does it?

The Kingfish posted:

It's exactly how it works.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mickolution posted:

I think they do head to head if the two teams have identical goals scored and goals against, which is rare enough that they never actually have to use head to head.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Mickolution posted:

Surely if you score 5 and get 5 scored on you then your goal differential remains the same? I’m foreign so you aren’t allowed to tease me.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

The Kingfish posted:

Surely if you score 5 and get 5 scored on you then your goal differential remains the same? I’m foreign so you aren’t allowed to tease me.

The goal difference is the same, but the goals scored isn't. If points and goal difference are level, it comes down to goals scored.

edit: some leagues (Spain for one) do head to head first, which sucks because the scenario in the post above can't happen.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1528402825713180675

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Well. If people want a ray of sunshine after this round, MAN United finished this season with a negative goal difference. Also lost 6 games in a row but who is counting.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Wasn't it neutral?

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
im honestly just disappointed that they made it to the europa league instead of conference

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010

TheRat posted:

Wasn't it neutral?

it was before losing 1-0 to Crystal Palace.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Looking forward to the dvd

Jexner
Feb 11, 2010
How excited are you for the new season of Ted Lasso?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Jexner posted:

it was before losing 1-0 to Crystal Palace.

The table is showing it at 0 for me right now

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

pik_d posted:

The table is showing it at 0 for me right now

Same

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Our GD ended at zero, funnier is Burnley got relegated while conceding fewer lol

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:

Our GD ended at zero, funnier is Burnley got relegated while conceding fewer lol

actually its funnier how poo poo pooshited are op

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I think both are funny tbh

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Mr Snips posted:

I think both are funny tbh

They are

Seasons finished someone make an offseason thread ta

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1528446811735826433

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Why's this moronic poo poo suddenly popping up all over the place? Is everyone just coked out of their minds suddenly?