Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

pik_d posted:

I'm not saying City didn't do some illegal financial poo poo, I'm sure they did. I'm saying that bringing it up right before a potential title deciding game is a tactical decision by der Spiegel.

Der Spiegel a German newspaper support Liverpool against Man City?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

fat gay nonce posted:

I think it's more about harming City than supporting Liverpool.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

fat gay nonce posted:

Klopp is German it all makes perfect sense

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Klopp is German it all makes perfect sense

Hmm changing my answer to this but ironically.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the one thing uniting us in these trying international times is that everyone everywhere hates manchester city

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

pik_d posted:

I'm not saying City didn't do some illegal financial poo poo, I'm sure they did. I'm saying that bringing it up right before a potential title deciding game is a tactical decision by der Spiegel.

Even the German press is out to get poor plucky outsiders man scheissy

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

pik_d posted:

I think it's more about harming City than supporting Liverpool.

I think you are mentally ill

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Strawman posted:

Even the German press is out to get poor plucky outsiders man scheissy

Excellent username/post combo :eyepop:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

fat gay nonce posted:

I think you are mentally ill

I already said that I do believe City is guilty of the poo poo they were investigated for, it's literally just the timing of the story before a big game that's a bit weird. Not sure what the issue is with that

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm a City fan m9 and I think you're barking well up the wrong tree. Why would Der Speigel give a gently caress about our domestic match? If we were playing a German team in the CL then you might have the beginnings of a half arsed point.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
I dont think its too much of a stretch that if youre looking to impose maximum pressure on a shady entity like Man City that you would therefore time your release of information to coincide with the biggest match of their season so far.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:

pik_d posted:

:lol:

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021

pik_d posted:

I already said that I do believe City is guilty of the poo poo they were investigated for, it's literally just the timing of the story before a big game that's a bit weird. Not sure what the issue is with that

the issue is that this is something a mentally i'll person would say op

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Suggesting that a newspaper would hold a story until it would have a maximum impact isn't crazy or insane at all. Y'all are being real weird about this.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
P.S. I am not a crackpot.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i don't find it outlandish that someone would sit on a story and then release it at a time thought to be more destructive or higher profile, but i also dont know if or why der spiegel might have it out for city

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
All Germans are Liverpool fans because Liverpool's manager is German, this is really easy

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

bewbies posted:

i don't find it outlandish that someone would sit on a story and then release it at a time thought to be more destructive or higher profile, but i also dont know if or why der spiegel might have it out for city

They're the paper that broke the story originally a few years back, they didn't like the decision by CAS, the guy who "hacked" the emails for them was charged in Portugal. I feel like this isn't even the first time they've rehashed old stories about City. The "why" I can't tell you but they've consistently had these stories about City. Again, I don't think City is innocent here, I think der Spiegel is publishing this at a time where it'll rile up people the most and generate a lot of clicks.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Simiain posted:

I dont think its too much of a stretch that if youre looking to impose maximum pressure on a shady entity like Man City that you would therefore time your release of information to coincide with the biggest match of their season so far.

What pressure, though? Like Kevin De Bruyne is gonna miss a sitter because someone reminded him that his boss' boss' bosses are dodgy financially?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

fast cars loose anus posted:

What pressure, though? Like Kevin De Bruyne is gonna miss a sitter because someone reminded him that his boss' boss' bosses are dodgy financially?

Yeah it's hard to quantify any direct impact it'll have on the players during the game but Pep has been getting questions about it in the press interview. Sometimes the press does get to the players though. That's why good managers will always try and deflect pressure away from them.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Pepe Silvia to City for €100 million, you heard it here first.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pik_d posted:

Yeah it's hard to quantify any direct impact it'll have on the players during the game but Pep has been getting questions about it in the press interview. Sometimes the press does get to the players though. That's why good managers will always try and deflect pressure away from them.

I feel like there's a difference between this and a manager deflecting pressure by blaming the ref instead of saying "yeah we lost because my players are all poo poo"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

vyelkin posted:

I feel like there's a difference between this and a manager deflecting pressure by blaming the ref instead of saying "yeah we lost because my players are all poo poo"

What's the chances of the Liverpool fans singing about it during the match

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
We're workshopping the chants now, it's come down to a choice between "Ooooooh, underage players were allegedly pressured to sign contracts with Manchester City through monetary payments, in violation of the rules, and you know you are" and "Olé, olé olé olé, club sponsors in Abu Dhabi are suspected of having provided only a portion of their payments to the club themselves, with the majority apparently coming from Sheikh Mansour himself, olé."

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

pik_d posted:

What's the chances of the Liverpool fans singing about it during the match

It's nice to see Der Spiegel doesn't have to pay any rent costs

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
i wish i had a brain that would find it totally reasonable to make me think that der Spiegel would release a major story so that manchester city would lose to liverpool

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

nawilo_420 posted:

i wish i had a brain that would find it totally reasonable to make me think that der Spiegel would release a major story so that manchester city would lose to liverpool

Maybe they're doing it to generate clicks and don't care about the match? Would that seem more reasonable to you?

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
klopp putting up prints of article in the dressing room to motivate the players

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

hendo's gonna mention it in the pre-match huddle

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Der Spiegel let it fookin slip

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Jurgen Klopp, in the dressing room at halftime: all right lads, keep it up, great work so far, love the energy in the pressing. And remember what we're playing for - Roberto Mancini, who is currently the trainer for the Italian national team but spent the years from 2009 to 2013 as the trainer for ManCity, is thought to have received a significant portion of his compensation secretly by way of a fictitious consultancy contract.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

vyelkin posted:

Jurgen Klopp, in the dressing room at halftime: all right lads, keep it up, great work so far, love the energy in the pressing. And remember what we're playing for - Roberto Mancini, who is currently the trainer for the Italian national team but spent the years from 2009 to 2013 as the trainer for ManCity, is thought to have received a significant portion of his compensation secretly by way of a fictitious consultancy contract.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Has there been a whitepaper published on this subject? Asking for a fellow poster.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
City corrupt, so what

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Hell, I'm glad Der Spiegel will be fully behind Liverpool FC on Sunday.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
50 new posts something major must have happened....oh my god whats this, a conspiracy by Der Spiegel to unsettle manchester city before their premier league match against liverpool this weekend!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...NFsnhbBug%3D%3D

Link spew Jesus Christ.

Kinda cool and sad article about Doni's time at Liverpool and how he was part of the reason Allison ended up at Liverpool

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

pik_d posted:

Maybe they're doing it to generate clicks and don't care about the match? Would that seem more reasonable to you?

actually yes, that does sound more reasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

qsvui posted:

actually yes, that does sound more reasonable

Thank you OP, it does make a lot more sense than having something out for City tbf. After all who would dislike Manchester City??