Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hello, friends. Welcome to a tradition unlike any other. It's the

https://www.masters.com/index.html

For the first time since 2019, we will have a normal Masters week. This means Par 3 contest and no limitations on the number of patrons. There will be one notable absence this year...
https://twitter.com/jamescolgan26/status/1510312693156220934

...and oh yeah, Phil Mickelson isn't playing because he was (yet again) exposed as a selfish and greedy prick:
https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1496261183120330757

Air Times (ET)
Wed (Par 3 contest): ESPN 3-5pm
Thu/Fri: ESPN 3-7:30pm
Sat: CBS 3-7pm
Sun: CBS 2-7pm

Online coverage starts 8:30am on Thu/Fri and 10:15am Sat/Sun.

Marquee Tee Times (Thursday ET)
10:53am: Bryson DeChambeau, Cameron Smith, Paul Casey
11:04am: Tiger Woods, Louis Oosthuizen, Joaquin Niemann
11:15am: Hideki Matsuyama, Justin Thomas, James Piot
11:26am: Scottie Scheffler, Adam Scott, Tony Finau
2:00pm: Dustin Johnson, Collin Morikawa, Billy Horschel
2:11pm: Jon Rahm, Patrick Cantlay, Will Zalatoris
2:22: Jordan Spieth, Xander Schauffele, Viktor Hovland
2:33pm: Brooks Koepka, Rory McIlroy, Matthew Fitzpatrick

Odds (Draftkings as of 6am ET Monday)

Betting Pool
Pick an available player who isn't one of the top 10 betting favorites. Best finisher gets :20bux: from everyone else.

Josh Lyman: Jordan Spieth
mattfl: Tiger Woods
Shrapnig: Kevin Kisner
Douchebag: Sam Burns
Kirios: Will Zalatoris
Anno: Patrick Cantlay
Mcqueen: Louis Oosthuizen
Dr. Capco: Joaquin Niemann
The SituAsian: Shane Lowry
wyoak: Daniel Berger
Kameh: Sergio Garcia
The Royal Nonesuch: Sungjae Im
shyduck: Tony Finau
SquirrelyPSU: Justin Rose

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wait, Tiger isn't in the top 10?

If not, Tiger!

If he is, Bubba!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

Wait, Tiger isn't in the top 10?

If not, Tiger!

If he is, Bubba!
He isn’t because he may or may not play. It’s a game time decision.

Edit: he’s probably playing. I’m gonna feel like a moron if you win with that pick since I hadn’t seen this tweet, and I have doubts about how his leg will hold up in his first real tournament back. I will say, the hilliness of Augusta is overstated imo. You’ve been there. When 70 yo CEOs can walk the course, it’s not that bad.
https://twitter.com/themasters/status/1510791831348559878

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 4, 2022

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kisner.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fuuuck he’s gonna win (the pool)
https://twitter.com/twlegion/status/1510719615135105029

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tiger is wearing Footjoys
https://twitter.com/golfdigest/status/1510806864266674185

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’ll take Hideki

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Wearing pins too, which he's always done. I wonder how many guys are left that still do.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

There's no loving way he can compete for the championship.....right?!?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Sam Burns

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Wearing pins too, which he's always done. I wonder how many guys are left that still do.
I think Rory did until he started wearing spikeless shoes a few years back.

Considering how much the lead foot torques and moves in the modern downswing, proper spikes are probably bad for your knee and ankle.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

2 hours of Masters on the Range starting now! https://www.masters.com/en_US/live/index.html

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Gimme Zalatoris.

Anno
May 10, 2017

If possible I'm going to switch my pick to Cantlay. For some reason I thought Hideki's health issues had been trending better but I guess not!

If I'm stuck with the pick then that's fine, too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anno posted:

If possible I'm going to switch my pick to Cantlay. For some reason I thought Hideki's health issues had been trending better but I guess not!

If I'm stuck with the pick then that's fine, too.
Nah, everyone is free to change their picks before the first tee shot on Thursday.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Gimme my boy Oost.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Gimme Joaquin Niemann. 2023 masters is gonna be furby themed.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Shane Lowry

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I’ll join with Berger

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
You already know who I got.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

You already know who I got.

Watched a Golf channel replay thing yesterday on the 2017 Masters and I forgot how insane that back 9 was.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheMasters/status/1511364480055353355

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
gently caress I need a way to stream this.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

masters.com usually has some pretty good streaming coverage, at least until TV coverage kicks in. IIRC it's a couple marquee groups morning and afternoon plus continuous coverage of Amen Corner.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

if anybody in this thread isn't rooting for him, get the hell outta here

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah best thing about the Masters is the streaming is amazing. It’s wild how much better it is than any other golf streaming option. I don’t even watch the official coverage until Sunday afternoon.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

mdemone posted:

if anybody in this thread isn't rooting for him, get the hell outta here

I either want him to win or shoot 85-86

Anno
May 10, 2017

Groups: https://www.masters.com/en_US/players/pairings/index.html?promo=hero_other_First-RoundGroupingsAnnounced

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Shrapnig posted:

masters.com usually has some pretty good streaming coverage, at least until TV coverage kicks in. IIRC it's a couple marquee groups morning and afternoon plus continuous coverage of Amen Corner.

My parents have a cable subscription, I just need to generate the amount of patience that will be required to go over there set up their online account and teach them how to use it so I can use that to stream TSN.

I just don't have it in me to put up with that.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

mdemone posted:

There's no loving way he can compete for the championship.....right?!?

no, and he knows this. which means he'll be relaxed. which means... he's gonna win.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I'll take Sungjae Im

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought about banning Tiger as a pick because it wasn’t certain whether he would play, and I didn’t want a mad dash for who could post first after he was officially in.

I played myself.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm catching up on Live from the Masters and obviously they discuss swings since they're covering players on the range, but I was thinking about whether any other major sport talks about technique and mechanics as much as golf.

If you think about the NFL, they mostly focus on strategy like bad coverage, or they might just say "that was overthrow", but they rarely say the player's mechanics need to improve. Even with tennis they focus on strategy more than mechanics.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The main telecast doesn't really talk about mechanics and technique that much, though. Not since Johnny retired at least. And when they do it's usually bad - maybe a handful of obviously missed shots and a couple slow motion swings that just cost the telecast time that could be spent doing something interesting.

If they broadcasted an NFL practice or whatever the equivalent of Live From the Masters is I think they probably would discuss that stuff.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tee times are up:
10:23am: Bryson DeChambeau, Cameron Smith, Paul Casey
10:34am: Tiger Woods, Louis Oosthuizen, Joaquin Niemann
10:45am: Hideki Matsuyama, Justin Thomas, James Piot
10:56am: Scottie Scheffler, Adam Scott, Tony Finau
1:30pm: Dustin Johnson, Collin Morikawa, Billy Horschel
1:41pm: Jon Rahm, Patrick Cantlay, Will Zalatoris
1:52: Jordan Spieth, Xander Schauffele, Viktor Hovland
2:03pm: Brooks Koepka, Rory McIlroy, Matthew Fitzpatrick

Tiger will get to play early/late for maximum recovery time.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 6, 2022

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm catching up on Live from the Masters and obviously they discuss swings since they're covering players on the range, but I was thinking about whether any other major sport talks about technique and mechanics as much as golf.

If you think about the NFL, they mostly focus on strategy like bad coverage, or they might just say "that was overthrow", but they rarely say the player's mechanics need to improve. Even with tennis they focus on strategy more than mechanics.

Baseball pitchers? This is giving me Tim Lincecum flashbacks.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Spieth said during his presser today that he cracked the face of his old 3w and he's still trying to dial in more spin on his new 3w so he can draw it off the tee on 10 and 13

FML

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’d be way more worried about the sheer volume of <4’ putts he missed last week lol. And, like, bad, didn’t even touch the hole misses. He’s a different player here though so I think it’ll be fine.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

Spieth said during his presser today that he cracked the face of his old 3w and he's still trying to dial in more spin on his new 3w so he can draw it off the tee on 10 and 13

FML

Surprised the oems don't have a harem of golfwrx club hoes on retainer for emergencies like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Coverage of the Par 3 may start at 3pm on ESPN but it starts at noon on Masters.com