Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
I've been thinking a lot about the backlash to recent controversial comedy specials like Dave Chapelle's recent Netflix series. There has been a lot of discourse about "punching up" vs "punching down" in comedy. What this essentially means is that there is a big difference in joking about those who hold power in society and those who do not. When people joke about corrupt politicians or police brutality, for example, they are "punching up" - the target of such jokes is someone more powerful than than us. Unfortunately, on the other hand, when people make sexist, racist, transphobic or homophobic jokes they are "punching down". Joking about people who are targets merely for their identity, especially if such a group is already marginalized, is not only deeply unfunny but also shows a lack of understanding about inherent power structures. The argument against this is that context always matters - if a joke is genuinely funny and is not coming from a place of malice or prejudice then who are we to police what comedians can and can't say.

Do you think "punching down" is ever acceptable in comedy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Shut the gently caress up OP

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Depends, what does the dog inside you say, OP?

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Dane Cook is the only good comedian in history, and he punches whatever direction he wants.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

neato burrito posted:

Dane Cook is the only good comedian in history, and he punches whatever direction he wants.

Cock Dook

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Im punching down on the OP (because he is not as smart or cool as me)

hey OP sucka me balls

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Wizard Master posted:

I’ve been laughing at all the soy bugmen in this thread who think not having hair is a disability 😂

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all of human killer's 'comedy' is punchdown comedy

additional examples of punching down:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
You shouldnt punch anyone OP ):

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Wizard Master posted:

I've been thinking a lot about the backlash to recent controversial comedy specials like Dave Chapelle's recent Netflix series. There has been a lot of discourse about "punching up" vs "punching down" in comedy. What this essentially means is that there is a big difference in joking about those who hold power in society and those who do not. When people joke about corrupt politicians or police brutality, for example, they are "punching up" - the target of such jokes is someone more powerful than than us. Unfortunately, on the other hand, when people make sexist, racist, transphobic or homophobic jokes they are "punching down". Joking about people who are targets merely for their identity, especially if such a group is already marginalized, is not only deeply unfunny but also shows a lack of understanding about inherent power structures. The argument against this is that context always matters - if a joke is genuinely funny and is not coming from a place of malice or prejudice then who are we to police what comedians can and can't say.

Sounds like you're trying to police people's honest criticism, OP.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Depends, what does the dog inside you say, OP?

literally everything is punchdown

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
It's all relative to each person's relative socioeconomic standing, OP, and therefore, no one can joke at all, I say.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pontificating rear end posted:

Im punching down on the OP (because he is not as smart or cool as me)

hey OP sucka me balls

watch em throw a temper tantrum

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
Punching down is one of two things:

1) easy to identify as someone who is not a sociopath/psychopath
2) subjective to whatever activism you want to express,

but punching up is easier to judge

Punching down is usually just lazy and not very funny, but people love to grab "punching down" when they are deeply unfunny with no sense of humor themselves

Hope this helps OP

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Is "Brick" ever OK in comedy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5EHAqhR1c

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

You should punch down.

Into your own balls

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Haven't you done this one?

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
punchin down on dat pussy

ErrorInvalidUser fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 5, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Haven't you done this one?

yeah i think there was another wizard master thread where he mentioned the dave chapelle special no one watched because it's not the chapelle show and i didn't read the rest of that post either so i can't really say but it feels like a yes

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

There isn't punching in comedy OP, you may be confusing it with MMA or boxing or I dunno, I don't watch punchmans.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
punching down usually comes across as being mean and acting superior but i guess if the target is truly awful it's ok maybe? like in wonder showzen when they do the horse apples stuff

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AcidCat posted:

There isn't punching in comedy OP, you may be confusing it with MMA or boxing or I dunno, I don't watch punchmans.

There is slapping in comedy though

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

kntfkr posted:

yeah i think there was another wizard master thread where he mentioned the dave chapelle special no one watched because it's not the chapelle show and i didn't read the rest of that post either so i can't really say but it feels like a yes

Like the exact same thread with the exact same title and OP. You know I'm starting to think this Wizard Master isn't entirely on the level.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i read the OP then punched down right into my nuts so i could forget it

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Will need to know which cognitive impairment the OP has to reply accurately

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lizard Mister

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Stink Billyums posted:

Will need to know which cognitive impairment the OP has to reply accurately

*gestures vaguely at medical reference books*

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You can't punch down on the valuable poster above you, it would be literally impossible.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

eat my shits op

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Forget eating the rich. Eat the poor. There's a lot more.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
OP is trying to put us in a bind by being the most pathetic and disadvantaged individual possible while also demanding ridicule

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
only when it's directed at op, the retard

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

:chanpop: god drat LSBB with the first post bodyblow

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

WIZARD MASTER

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Wizard Master thread, so didn’t have time to read thread but assume answer is probably “no” or “I disagree”,

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Walrus posted:

only when it's directed at op, the retard

writes a paragraph on "punching up" or "punching down" in comedy

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Only at children. Then it's not only great, but family friendly as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Wizard Master posted:

People reply to your posts and get away with it just fine