Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't think I've seen wizard master cast a single goddamn spell this is horseshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

OP please further define your position because in your first sentence you defined "punching down" as "joking about those who do not hold power in society" and then 2 sentences later you defined punching down as telling bigoted, racist, or transphobic jokes. Please be consistent because you can tell a lot of jokes about people who don't hold power in society that are not bigoted, racist, or transphobic jokes.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 5, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Who What Now posted:

I don't think I've seen wizard master cast a single goddamn spell this is horseshit

He's the master of wizards, not a wizard himself. He just delegates.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

knock knock

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
agree with those who have seen this thread before so we at least know wizard master possesses the power of duplication

and show some loving deference pls wizard master threads are really fun and they could destroy the entire world if they wanted to

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I'm punching everyone below this post

˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Aw, gently caress. I can't believe you've done this.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Wizard Master

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Okay, so ignoring the rest of all this, the answer to this is yes. Places like 4Chan have popularised the term "brick" as an insult to trans women/femmes to mean they have a bricklike body, aka they are not feminine. Pretty dumb but alright.

However if you and others are riffing and you're aware of the context then yes, sometimes queuing the song and playing it as a punchline is hilarious.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk, and I'm sorry.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Bricks are great for hiding in cute little handbags

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I enjoy dunking bread in soup and then eating the bread.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

It's always morally correct to punch nazis, regardless of your relative social power

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

phasmid posted:

I enjoy dunking bread in soup and then eating the bread.

Small punch down followed by a larger punch up, net positive

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Shut the gently caress up OP

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Devils Affricate posted:

Small punch down followed by a larger punch up, net positive

:hai:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

It's always okay to make fun of short people.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

If the person at the top punches up they hit the person on the bottom.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Sophy Wackles posted:

If the person at the top punches up they hit the person on the bottom.

comedy is like one of those bootleg street fighter cabinets where if you punch high enough up the top of the screen you come up from the floor

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Punching down is funny... if you're punching a short clown so they fall down... and you're also a clown... in the circus.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

BigBadSteve posted:

Punching down is funny... if you're punching a short clown so they fall down... and you're also a clown... in the circus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCisU9rmpZc&t=671s

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwkdGr9JYmE

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
I think it's pretty nuanced. This might seem like a long-winded take, but hear me out. To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Rick & Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

ive punched many children and little people and my probation officer say its almost universally bad. i did get my meal comped at denny's one time though

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Punch up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start to ban OP

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Making fun of bald celebrity: funny

Making fun of bald eagles: funny

Finding out celebrity has the rare and life threatening disease known as alopecia: not funny

Finding out bald Eagles are endangered: not funny

Making fun of fat old bald person: not funny

Making fun of fat old bald president who's trying to hide it: still not that funny really

I dont really have any answers tbh.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Bald eagles aren't even bald they've got feathers

Stolen valour if u ask me

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Usually I have to pay extra to get punched down on lmao

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Someone should punch down on the OP's account until it's banned or something.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

I think it's pretty nuanced. This might seem like a long-winded take, but hear me out. To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Rick & Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

Presuming this was written as satire and not by an actual Rick and Morty wanker, it's kind of punching up... or more correctly, punching at those up themselves.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Someone should punch down on the OP's account until it's banned or something.

code:

\\|/ ! 7_ 4 |2 |)

|\\/| 4 5 + 3 |2

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Poohs Packin posted:

Making fun of bald celebrity: funny

Making fun of bald eagles: funny
Finding out celebrity has the rare and life threatening disease known as alopecia: not funny
Finding out bald Eagles are endangered: not funny
Making fun of fat old bald person: not funny
Making fun of fat old bald president who's trying to hide it: still not that funny really
I dont really have any answers tbh.

Nice bald rear end you got there.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
The whole punching up/down thing assumes that privilege falls on a neat little hierarchy and everyone is a member of exactly one sociopolitical group so we can rank them as such and categorically state who is punching up and who is punching down which I shouldn't have to say is stupid as gently caress.

I think it's obvious when someone is being racist/bigoted without weird rules like punching up/down, but maybe I'm just weird.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I thought punching down was just a contextual/relative thing. Like okay, picking on white people isn't really punching down. But picking on leftist after a shooting because they didn't own guns is.

It's really simple, if someone is at an unfair disadvantage that you don't have (or even have an advantage of) that's punching down. Insulting white people for having weird names isn't really punching anywhere except blindly. The same if you made a joke about "hey isn't it crazy that a lot of Asian food is so spicy? I just can't handle the heat!"

Making fun of Asian people for being victims of hatecrimes would be tho.

I'm sure there's a lot of nuance but I don't care because I'm too busy and important to care what the little people think.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
OP should be morE worried about gettin punched OUT makin lame rear end threads like this

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

R
E
T
S
A
M

D
R
A
Z
I
W I Z A R D M A S T E R

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
what if your audience is a bunch of drunk and racists assholes, would it be a good idea to punch up or down

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

OMFG FURRY posted:

what if your audience is a bunch of drunk and racists assholes, would it be a good idea to punch up or down

During the Trump administration, you could do both simultaneously. He was in a position of power, yet according to what I have read on the Somethingawful.com comedy forums, he was also mentally challenged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Just punch everyone. What are they gonna do, put you in jail?