Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

OMFG FURRY posted:

what if your audience is a bunch of drunk and racists assholes, would it be a good idea to punch up or down

Punch whoever got you the gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

It's called a punchline because if I was being honest, I'd end up in jail!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What about the Bill Hicks waffle house joke? Is it ok making fun of dumb anti-intellectuals if they're poorer than you? I.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1_6FlQfbho

IMO yes fully justified.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
In my opinion it's okay as long they are too stupid, poor, or too far away to punch you back

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think comedians can say whatever they want, but some of them seem to think no one is allowed to have opinions on what they say because it's "jokes" which is bullshit. If you put yourself out there like that you are subject to public opinion and that's just facts. Being a comedian isn't just a free pass to have whatever terrible take you want without facing any sort of criticism.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 5, 2022

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The world of stand-up is truly the Fourth Estate.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Gallagher punching that hammer down on a hapless watermelon is peak comedy.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Punching down is funny, it just has to be funny, and funny for the right reasons. A good example is Anthony Jeselnik, that dude basically only punches down. But the whole persona he's built is one that mines comedy from "this is a horrible person". If you're just ripping on people to rip on them, that's kind of lovely, and usually not that funny. But if you're crafting a story where someone is the butt of a joke, and the whole point is to get the audience to go "oh gently caress I really shouldn't be laughing at this" there's a tension and release to that, and it really has nothing to do with the "victim" of the joke.

veni veni veni posted:

I think comedians can say whatever they want, but some of them seem to think no one is allowed to have opinions on what they say because it's "jokes" which is bullshit. If you put yourself out there like that you are subject to public opinion and that's just facts. Being a comedian isn't just a free pass to have whatever terrible take you want without facing any sort of criticism.

Agreed, as long as you understand the no one is under any obligation to do anything about your opinion over their jokes, nor is anyone obligated to continue listening to you talk about it non stop. I've heard plenty of things, comedy, movies, music, etc. that I didn't care for and decided to voice that opinion and moved on. I watched the critically acclaimed movie "The Power of the Dog" and really didn't like it, and told a number of people my opinion on the movie. I didn't go on a twitter campaign to make sure that everyone knew that Jane Campion should never work again and write 10 articles about how benedict Cumberbatch is problematic now.

People who complain about "cancel culture" for people voicing their opinions about their stuff are loving morons, but so are the people that are so self important that they think the world owes them action around not liking something.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 5, 2022

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
It's ok to punch down on poor people if they're straight white men who only care about enslaving and exterminating all the other races and genders, because not only are people like that a danger to the vast majority of humanity but the rest of the world caters to them, so they're not really oppressed just because they're poor.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's some of the twitterest most terminally online poo poo I have ever read.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's ok if it's really, truly funny. a good example is 9/11.

but the thing is that you'd better be goddamned sure the joke is funny enough to justify going after a vulnerable group (e.g., 9/11 victims). comedians who make a big deal about being canceled or censored by the woke mob or whatever just don't want to admit their joke didn't land.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

it's ok if it's really, truly funny. a good example is 9/11.

but the thing is that you'd better be goddamned sure the joke is funny enough to justify going after a vulnerable group (e.g., 9/11 victims). comedians who make a big deal about being canceled or censored by the woke mob or whatever just don't want to admit their joke didn't land.

You can really get away with anything if the joke is funny enough and the comedian is able to establish that the intent is just to get a laugh. Tom Segura has a lot of material that could be considered racially or culturally insensitive and he never really gets called out on it at all because it's pretty clear it's just jokes and he's loving around.

Chappelle rightfully caught a ton of flak for his trans bits because they just didn't work and came off as hateful as opposed to funny. Now he whines about cancel culture all the time but it's 100% his fault that he made some weak jokes that came across as hate, and then doubled, tripled, quadrupled down on it until his last special which was just downright embarrassing to watch. But oh no, it's everyone else's fault not him.

I've also seen imo legit complaints about it from comedians that don't make a habit of complaining about "the woke mob" or whatever though. David Cross recently went into it a bit on a podcast. Basically talking about how his show was pulled because people completely ignored the context of a sketch. Basically how there's a lot of people that are just like "you can't do X" without caring at all about the context which he thought was frustrating. Which I do think is a thing that happens. there's definitely a degree of people out there just waiting to be mad about stuff and they don't give a poo poo about the intent at all. I definitely would not say that makes up the majority of "cancel culture" though, which is 95% just someone doing something lovely and having to feel bad about it for a while because they got called out.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You shouldn't punch down, just use your feet and kick!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

You shouldn't punch down, just use your feet and kick!

This is not how you make bread.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

I've also seen imo legit complaints about it from comedians that don't make a habit of complaining about "the woke mob" or whatever though. David Cross recently went into it a bit on a podcast. Basically talking about how his show was pulled because people completely ignored the context of a sketch. Basically how there's a lot of people that are just like "you can't do X" without caring at all about the context which he thought was frustrating. Which I do think is a thing that happens. there's definitely a degree of people out there just waiting to be mad about stuff and they don't give a poo poo about the intent at all. I definitely would not say that makes up the majority of "cancel culture" though, which is 95% just someone doing something lovely and having to feel bad about it for a while because they got called out.

The audience didn't pull his show, execs did, using what was probably a very small number of people complaining as an excuse and to try and pander to the "woke crowd" because that's what companies think makes money right now. That's not cancel culture that's capitalism.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Who What Now posted:

The audience didn't pull his show, execs did, using what was probably a very small number of people complaining as an excuse and to try and pander to the "woke crowd" because that's what companies think makes money right now. That's not cancel culture that's capitalism.

Netflix has been a little all over the place with that though, they took down the bit W/ Bob and David, but didn't really back down in any meaningful way on the Chappelle stuff. I guess everyone is just trying to figure that poo poo out, glad it's not my job.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Honestly OP you would have to know what comedy is and know what is even considered funny before you can go asking those questions.

Obviously you dont so... yep.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

That's some of the twitterest most terminally online poo poo I have ever read.

Basically I'm not going to punch down on gender and racial minorities who are experiencing real oppression from rightwing politicians who are trying to strip them of their rights with poo poo like the "Don't Say Gay" bill. Once rightwing politicians stop trying to outright oppress minorities, then when can discuss punching down.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Edit: to be fair your talking about your personal choice to not ridicule people and that's totally fine.

Yeah but you said there are poor white people intent on enslaving the entirety of humanity which is a very twitterfied take.

Whenever anyone starts drawing lines in the sand about which races are okay to ridicule based on some insane algebra its generally clear they haven't been outside for a while.

Just be funny. If people don't think its funny don't sit around explaining and defending just shift gears and be funny again.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 5, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The best time to punch down is when there's a cop on the ground.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
I always liked how comedians would hide behind the whole "I don't really believe that, it's just an act", before it comes out they Do Actually Believe That And It's Not An Act.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Don Rickles pulled it off pretty well due to the era he was in, he often turned it around on himself, and would be endearing towards the people he was riffing in the end.

Chapelle did none of those things and came off as narrow minded, not to mention his jokes were tired trash I have seen on Twitter 1,000 times.

Also Wizard Master STFU my god.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Dementropy posted:

This is not how you make bread.

But it is how you make udon!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QaZyhd7xiM

this isn't that funny. it's just true

this is the wrong thread

kntfkr fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 5, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Yaldabaoth posted:

It's ok to punch down on poor people if they're straight white men who only care about enslaving and exterminating all the other races and genders, because not only are people like that a danger to the vast majority of humanity but the rest of the world caters to them, so they're not really oppressed just because they're poor.

are you a straight white man?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

kntfkr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QaZyhd7xiM

this isn't that funny. it's just true

this is the wrong thread

Kind of freaky seeing George Carlin that young.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Wait, Dave Chappelle is black so he's punching up so his jokes about trans people are ok? Or are trans people beneath black people? Does that mean trans people can make racist jokes since that's punching up? Or maybe characterizing jokes as "punching down" is dumb.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

roomtone posted:

are you a straight white man?

Yes but the world won't cater to me because I don't vote for rightwing politicians.

Keeblamos
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaiian punch is ok. I'm down with that. I'm punching down

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
hmmm interesting idea but on the other hand, mocking a vulnerable group of people who have a 40% lifetime incidence of attempting suicide, is bad.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
IMO, it depends what the "point" of the punchline of the joke is. If it's "haha, minorities or women are inferiors" then it's not an OK joke. I'm sure in our lifetimes we've all heard a whole slew of offensive jokes where the "point" is "[ethnic minority] are stupid," or some other negative stereotype. If the point of a joke is just to reinforce negative stereotypes of a demographic group, then it's not okay. A racist joke is an example of racism, it shouldn't get a pass just because it's a joke.

Reinforcing negative stereotypes about cops is okay though, because cops choose to be cops.

Schweinhund posted:

Wait, Dave Chappelle is black so he's punching up so his jokes about trans people are ok? Or are trans people beneath black people? Does that mean trans people can make racist jokes since that's punching up? Or maybe characterizing jokes as "punching down" is dumb.

Instead of coming up with a ranking of groups by how privileged they are and debating whether being black or gay or whatever puts you lower on the scale, you shouldn't punch at inherent demographic groups at all. Easy.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 5, 2022

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Guess the Username game entry by me, so I guess there's my answer. I'm pretty crude, there is a fine line you dance though

Only registered members can see post attachments!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Biohazard posted:

Agreed, as long as you understand the no one is under any obligation to do anything about your opinion over their jokes, nor is anyone obligated to continue listening to you talk about it non stop. I've heard plenty of things, comedy, movies, music, etc. that I didn't care for and decided to voice that opinion and moved on. I watched the critically acclaimed movie "The Power of the Dog" and really didn't like it, and told a number of people my opinion on the movie. I didn't go on a twitter campaign to make sure that everyone knew that Jane Campion should never work again and write 10 articles about how benedict Cumberbatch is problematic now.

People who complain about "cancel culture" for people voicing their opinions about their stuff are loving morons, but so are the people that are so self important that they think the world owes them action around not liking something.

This is something that really bothers me - it's okay to not like a joke or to take offense to it, but a whole lot of people these days seem to feel that anyone who doesn't align with their opinions w/r/t the offensiveness of media is somehow "against" them. Like, they draw these moral monochromes and yell at everyone to stop seeing in color.

Offensive jokes can be funny. Offensive jokes can be harmful. Offensive jokes can be both harmful and funny. 'Offense' is a subjective and personal feeling - if someone is offended they should feel comfortable saying "I don't like [thing] because it offends me." without fear of being mocked or belittled and with the expectation that people will respect that opinion - but they should also recognize that their offense will not always factor into other peoples' enjoyment of the thing. You don't have to stop being friends with someone because they laughed at a joke that you thought was offensive.

By all means, everyone should campaign against something if it is harmful, but "offending people" is not causing harm, it's a product of people establishing their boundaries (a good thing). And defining whether something is "harmful" is way too nuanced for people who just want to concern troll the internet to get some attention.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 5, 2022

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Schweinhund posted:

Who gives a poo poo the jokes plain weren't funny and he has not stopped whining about it since

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 5, 2022

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is something that really bothers me - it's okay to not like a joke or to take offense to it, but a whole lot of people these days seem to feel that anyone who doesn't align with their opinions w/r/t the offensiveness of media is somehow "against" them. Like, they draw these moral monochromes and yell at everyone to stop seeing in color.

Offensive jokes can be funny. Offensive jokes can be harmful. Offensive jokes can be both harmful and funny. 'Offense' is a subjective and personal feeling - if someone is offended they should feel comfortable saying "I don't like [thing] because it offends me." without fear of being mocked or belittled and with the expectation that people will respect that opinion - but they should also recognize that their offense will not always factor into other peoples' enjoyment of the thing. You don't have to stop being friends with someone because they laughed at a joke that you thought was offensive.

By all means, everyone should campaign against something if it is harmful, but "offending people" is not causing harm, it's a product of people establishing their boundaries (a good thing). And defining whether something is "harmful" is way too nuanced for people who just want to concern troll the internet to get some attention.

on the flip side its perfectly fine to stop being friends with someone because they enjoy stupid bigoted jokes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's not "the flip side" at all because nothing I said precludes that thought, it is an addendum at best.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

global comedy can only exist on the backs of an oppressed underclass taking all the punches

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Bald eagles aren't even bald they've got feathers

Stolen valour if u ask me

You could call them klan eagles if you want because

A: they are a symbol of America

B: they wear a white hood

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Shut the gently caress up OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

posting in another epic wizard master thread