Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

:siren: GUNDAM EVOLUTION IS ENDING SERVICE ON NOVEMBER 29 https://gundamevolution.com/en/news/195 :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwvcxvP3L0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DgFrbsj7JY

Hey losers, it's Gundam Overwatch! Gundam Evolution is a free-to-play 6v6 hero shooter based on those wonderful giant robots! It's going to be available for PC, Playstations 4 and 5, and Xbox Series and One.

Game Modes

Point Capture - One team must defend a point on the map from being captured by the other.
Domination - Both teams fight to control one of three points on the map at a time.
Destruction - One team must destroy two points on the map while the other defends.

Available Units

All units are available in the network test

• RX-78-2 Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam)
  • MS-06 Zaku II [Ranged] (Mobile Suit Gundam)
  • MSN-04 Sazabi (Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack)
  • RGM-79SP GM Sniper II (Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket)
  • ZGMF-XX09T DOM Trooper (Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny)
  • RX-75 Guntank (Mobile Suit Gundam)
  • RX-80PR Pale Rider (Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Missing Link)
  • ASW-G-08 Gundam Barbatos (Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans)
  • MSA-005 Methuss (Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam)
  • NRX-044 Asshimar (Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam)
  • WD-M01 ∀ Gundam (Turn A Gundam)
  • RGM-79 GM (Mobile Suit Gundam)
  • GN-001 Gundam Exia (Mobile Suit Gundam 00) [Unlockable in network test through in-game points]
  • RMS-108 Marasai (Mobile Suit Gundam) [Unlockable in network test through in-game points]

Monetization?

There is a battlepass and randomized supply crates with cosmetics, but specifics about monetization of such have not been laid out.

Resources

https://gundamevolution.com/ - The official Gundam Evolution website, with in-depth information about the units and gameplay
Dunmuir's Channel - Has been posting videos from an early closed beta test with analysis of gameplay and unit play guides

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Did they buy the Overwatch engine from Blizzard?
The earlier JP-only previews had like the exact same style as the Overwatch UI, and I'm not sure whether that was an intentional decision to copy it or what:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ybJVEE3-M

There were also some beta tests in Japanese already IIRC.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
This seems cool :hai:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
holy poo poo this looks awesome

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Pale Rider's close enough to Blue Destiny so I'll take it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lmao that the Guntank's super ability or whatever is pulling a Ryu

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Gonna try this out w/ some friends when it goes live. The Overwatch UI is kind of off-putting though.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Downloading now.

GUNDAM EVOLUTION: Newtypes Never Die!

edit: First problem is UX design! If you're going to lock the user into a UI state where you must be able to connect to the servers to access the UI (because a full screen "can't connect" dialogue keeps popping up) there needs to be an "Exit Game" button alongside the "Retry" button. Alternatively, don't use that style of check/let players access the title screen before testing network connectivity!

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 7, 2022

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Seeing the overwatch UI kinda brings back to the late 90s and early 2000s where you'd just mod skins into your favorite game so it'd be like you were playing the game of your favorite franchise but it really wasn't.

I'm hype to play this tonight!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Game is up as of 2 hours ago!
Marasai's hook seems incredibly hard to aim

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

So uh this game actually kicks rear end. Had one insanely laggy game but beyond that it's fun as hell

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
overwatch is a big grand game, and Gundam has tons of ready-made designs with diverse "powers" so it seems like a natural fit

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I hope the Kimaris Vidar gets added, it's probably my favorite Mobile Suit in design.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Played a round tonight. My first impression is that the classes seem a little flat, with some exceptions (Guntank, Sazabi). Their strengths and roles are not as clearly delineated as Overwatch, which leads to some rough team compositions. Overall the strategy seems to emphasize speed, aggression and momentum over the tankier and more methodical team play in Overwatch. Heals are harder to get, though more plentiful in the environment, and gank kills happen fast. Lots of potential!

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I love the classic mecha dashes that you can do. Spend your thruster fuel to "sprint" or to dash.

RX-78's napalm grenade ult is nuts but uhhh I don't recall that being part of it's arsenal in the anime? (or any variant of 78 for that matter)

Turn A's grapple throw is pretty funny though a little janky to catch.

Guntank is strange to evaluate. Not exactly strong yet is plenty annoying to the enemy. Also core fighter kamikaze attack.

I think it's an interesting design choice that there is no universal melee button in this game.

How does one emote???

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Revitalized posted:

I love the classic mecha dashes that you can do. Spend your thruster fuel to "sprint" or to dash.

RX-78's napalm grenade ult is nuts but uhhh I don't recall that being part of it's arsenal in the anime? (or any variant of 78 for that matter)

Turn A's grapple throw is pretty funny though a little janky to catch.

Guntank is strange to evaluate. Not exactly strong yet is plenty annoying to the enemy. Also core fighter kamikaze attack.

I think it's an interesting design choice that there is no universal melee button in this game.

How does one emote???

It's not. The "Super Napalm" was mentioned once in the original anime, being used to destroy the Gundam parts they couldn't take with them from Side 7. The lack of melee is really weird IMO for a Gundam game, given how ubiquitous beam sabers and melee weapons are in the franchise.

I'm not sure where I stand on the game just yet since it's been a long time since I played Overwatch, and my knee-jerk is that the game is just reskinned Overwatch. I honestly didn't have any technical issues with the hour or so I played. I'm a bit curious about the keymapping though. I noticed switching between suits that abilities aren't always mapped to the same set of buttons. That seems like an odd choice given the genre conventions.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Zaku II being an assassin gremlin is hilarious. Flank, burn someone down in seconds, if anyone looks at you toke up and run away cause you're made of recycled cardboard.

Overall game is well polished and easily better than Overwatch. That is if you like the faster pace and abilities being less important. Though I'm not super into the maps since they're fairly generic. Point Control is nice since it's a rats nest of pathways between the points, but in A/D I keep trying to take routes and hitting dead ends (maybe I don't wanna follow the line, okay?)

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Thinking about it now one of the main things the game needs imo is a general projectile visibility increase; It's kinda hard to tell where your shots are going and a lot of weapons have pretty significant travel time. I have a lot of trouble hitting stuff at long range with the Turn-A's Railgun or the zook on the Dom because the projectile is pretty slow but also hard to track as the shooter. Might just be my graphics settings though

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Certain attacks like RX-78's hyper hammer need a better transition to projectile because hitting targets and the first-person swinging animation on it feels disjointed. Makes it kinda hard to use.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The guns don't feel good enough to actually shoot in my opinion. Like, the balance feels off? Take the RX-79's beam rifle for example. It only has 7 shots in it's magazine and it's really inaccurate if you're not aiming down the sights so shouldn't the damage be on the higher side? The sazabi has a beam shotgun and it doesn't have the oomph you would expect for a shotgun.

The respawn timer seems like it's too short to me. I would love it if all the characters got tankier and the timer got longer.

The no universal melee feels bad and the boost system feels anemic. I want to be able to do poo poo like fly up on higher ground but more often than not I can't get the height I need.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

beer gas canister posted:

Played a round tonight. My first impression is that the classes seem a little flat, with some exceptions (Guntank, Sazabi). Their strengths and roles are not as clearly delineated as Overwatch, which leads to some rough team compositions. Overall the strategy seems to emphasize speed, aggression and momentum over the tankier and more methodical team play in Overwatch. Heals are harder to get, though more plentiful in the environment, and gank kills happen fast. Lots of potential!

Having the MMO-style super delineated roles where each team member has one specific playstyle-defining role and isn't "allowed" to do other stuff is what makes overwatch a bad game.

Lacking that delineation and especially not having dedicated "tanks" at all makes Gundam Evolution a lot more fun and less restrictive. (There are tanky gundams who can shield themselves, but none with team-wide shields, and they're just about as squishy as any other gundam when the shield is down.)
It means teamplay arises organically from people working together and doing what the team needs instead of just everyone playing their one dedicated role's minigame.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Warmachine posted:

It's not. The "Super Napalm" was mentioned once in the original anime, being used to destroy the Gundam parts they couldn't take with them from Side 7. The lack of melee is really weird IMO for a Gundam game, given how ubiquitous beam sabers and melee weapons are in the franchise.

Does Barbatos not have it's big mace?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MonsterEnvy posted:

Does Barbatos not have it's big mace?

Barbatos actually has the mace as its only weapon, in place of a gun.
Most other gundams don't have any melee capabilities, although a few including Guntank and Gundam Exia have melee attacks as abilities with cooldowns.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
game feels weird imo, time to kill might be too short

which also means the standard punk GM who has a shield is extremely powerful simply because it has a shield, I did a 26 killstreak on the first game and first of all why is there that many kills in a game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gamerofthegame posted:

game feels weird imo, time to kill might be too short

which also means the standard punk GM who has a shield is extremely powerful simply because it has a shield, I did a 26 killstreak on the first game and first of all why is there that many kills in a game

"Killstreaks" count assists too (i think they copied that from overwatch?)
Tag an enemy with any damage before a teammate kills them and you'll get +1 to your killstreak. I got a 21 streak as dom trooper just by throwing a bunch of mines all over the control point and shooting in the vague direction of groups of enemies with my rocket launcher. All that aoe spam gets you kill participation credit on a lot of dudes.
Teammates killing someone while affected by GM's regen grenade might give credit too.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
This game feels extremely low budget, low polish, and all kinds of jank

It is ridiculously fun

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Did some rounds with about 4 other friends in a stack. Verdict so far is that while the game is fun, Barbatos seems pretty overtuned right now with his stuns

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Barbatos is mostly just pub stomp material. The 2 second stun is a little eyebrow raising, but it doesn't come with movement so they have to actually use their dash with it.

Zaku II is a good choice for dumpstering a Barbatos giving you trouble since they're just as mobile while getting to put out their stupid high damage at a longer range.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I like how Guntank's weapons just auto target. Kinda weak when targeting multiples but nice for just peppering damage on the multiple targets zooming in and out of cover.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The game could really use a quick melee, it just feels bad to wait for a full reload when you have an enemy at 5% HP directly in front of you. It's probably the biggest complaint I have about it outside of balance and visual stuff.

Gamerofthegame posted:

The GM rules. The fact that it's the in-universe equivalent of a Goomba makes stomping people with it so much more satisfying too.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Unhappy Meal posted:

Barbatos is mostly just pub stomp material. The 2 second stun is a little eyebrow raising, but it doesn't come with movement so they have to actually use their dash with it.

Zaku II is a good choice for dumpstering a Barbatos giving you trouble since they're just as mobile while getting to put out their stupid high damage at a longer range.

Barbatos can charge his stun during his E jump. Against people who don't look up he can land a jump-stun into his sword move for a guaranteed kill, although if they pay attention they can dash away or possibly even walk out of range since his air mobility is pretty poor. He's a lot less dangerous in areas with low roofs though.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 8, 2022

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Revitalized posted:

I like how Guntank's weapons just auto target. Kinda weak when targeting multiples but nice for just peppering damage on the multiple targets zooming in and out of cover.

Always. Be. Shooting. Dunmuir calls the Guntank trash in his videos, but I think it fills a good role where if you've got a bunch of potatoes on your team then just constantly putting damage on anyone out of cover does a lot to help them secure kills.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol went 0 and 12, got three top player call outs and the highest KD I've ever had in any game. I forgot that this style of game is full of the dumbest players around.

Other than that the balance is hosed and the ranking system seems custom built to piss everyone off, especially if someone drops

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where's Hambrabi

Where's my big dumb air manta

Game would go from 6/10 to 10/10

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 9, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I agree with the comments about the guns not feeling great. i think a big part of that is just how difficult it is to track projectiles, both your own and enemy ones. map design is also really hit and miss and feels very claustrophobic a lot of the time. movement is mostly good and ability variety is good too (though brought down by many just feeling bad due to the aforementioned issues with impact and readability).

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Well they are.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Countblanc posted:

I agree with the comments about the guns not feeling great. i think a big part of that is just how difficult it is to track projectiles, both your own and enemy ones. map design is also really hit and miss and feels very claustrophobic a lot of the time. movement is mostly good and ability variety is good too (though brought down by many just feeling bad due to the aforementioned issues with impact and readability).

One thing I think does feel really good, coming from Maxiboost, is the mobile armor. They're not exactly great units (or useful at all if you're Methuss, where your healing doesn't matter in the face of sniper or Barb one/ two-shots) but flipping to MA, strafing, and leaving in seconds feels real badass

Messala would be a cool addition too

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Barbatos's damage is really, really hosed for a unit with that level of mobility and CC. Like "he can instantly delete the tankiest unit in the game in under two seconds without the use of ult", whereas something like Exia has to actually land multiple hits to kill. The only thing that kills things as comparatively quickly is GM Sniper headshots.

It's the only unit in the game that feels terrible to play against. The Zaku, Asshimar, and Exia are all super dangerous backstabbers that can kill you incredibly quick with a flank, but all of them require a couple of seconds to actually kill, and all of them have some issues if they get forced into a fair fight by a burlier front line suit. The Barbatos simply deletes you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
GM Sniper's ranged res is really good- because pubs often forget that you can revive teammates. As the 'eye in the sky' you you have the ability to shoot a res dart at anyone while you don't have targets to sight. Just tap the button and they are back in the fight as long as they aren't being thirsted.

It really stabilizes point control objectives when there is so much back and forth that people don't get thirsted so fast. Of course, this ability alone isn't worth it if you're rear end at sniping. Does GM Sniper's ult wallhax benefit the whole team or just himself?