Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Do I have to do anything else after applying to get in? Did it a few hours ago and still no email

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's a lottery, so mostly hope that you get drawn.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The lotto is drawn at midnight PDT unless they decide to just open it to everyone that presses it.

Agreed about Barbatos. Really the only unit that just feels absolutely unfun to play against. Everything else is just zany chaos mode, and I enjoy that a lot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I do think Barbatos needs to be a big threat, but I think it needs to either lose some damage, lose some CC, or lose some durability. Exia is a good baseline for them to use, I think, because it's still extremely dangerous and disruptive, but it has to be played way cagier and more carefully to get kills.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah. I don't mind flankers that can merc you if you're not careful. Zaku II is pretty fun for that, but it's not quite a "one hit jump and stun you're dead now" kind of attack. The others I can at least maybe react and try to run or fend them off with something of my own, but a lot of Barb attacks feel like I'm dead before I even know they're there.

On the other hand, having one on your team and using Type A to flip someone right to them is incredibly hilarious.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
It's not a bad Overwatch clone. But I feel like rounds are really dependent on how well your team "gels" and that is really dependent on the matchmaker.

I keep getting into 2000+ MMR only for the game to give me absolute pants teammates that steal my medic main(s) and don't heal everyone in the process to where we get rolled and my MMR tumbles to 1950 or so before climbing back up. Conversely, climbing back up my team rolls with the other side not being able to do anything.

I don't know if it's matchmaking, balancing, or both of them it's weird how "roll"y the rounds are.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Unhappy Meal posted:

Zaku II being an assassin gremlin is hilarious. Flank, burn someone down in seconds, if anyone looks at you toke up and run away cause you're made of recycled cardboard.

Overall game is well polished and easily better than Overwatch. That is if you like the faster pace and abilities being less important. Though I'm not super into the maps since they're fairly generic. Point Control is nice since it's a rats nest of pathways between the points, but in A/D I keep trying to take routes and hitting dead ends (maybe I don't wanna follow the line, okay?)

I got the chance to do some Zaku II fun tonight, and "gremlin" really does sum up his playstyle. You have enough mobility to dodge behind barriers or juke melee assassins like Exia and Barbatos, and enough utility in your stun grenade and smoke to stay alive or make plays. I 2v1'd against Barbatos and Exia just by timing my dashes and smoke to make them wiff their attacks and then magdump them.

If I stick with this, I'll probably main the GM and Zaku II partially for memes and partially because they both feel pretty good to play. The GM's heal grenade gives it some responsive teamfight utility and honestly makes the kit. I haven't had much luck with its shield bash and incindiary bomb, but the mines and the heal grenade combined with the shield make for a well-rounded frontliner.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
thank you bandai namco you delivered and i never have to think about overwatch ever again

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Having given this a bit more time, I'm starting to see the "un-fun" of Barbatos. Getting hit by the stun is basically a death sentence, even if Barb's the only guy there. And he maintains annoying movement when you're trying to fight him off.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Revitalized posted:

Having given this a bit more time, I'm starting to see the "un-fun" of Barbatos. Getting hit by the stun is basically a death sentence, even if Barb's the only guy there. And he maintains annoying movement when you're trying to fight him off.

Barbatos' stun feels a bit overtuned in that regard, yeah, but barb himself is surprisingly fragile to any kind of sustained fire. Another target I find consistently setting off little "this is kinda whack" sirens in my head is Sazabi, and given how tight the race just to select it every match is; I think other people get it too. The shield is basically a second regenerating health bar and if you run into one alone you're basically dead since you're unlikely to be able to burn through the shield before you get stunned and shotgunned.

Overall though I'm really enjoying the gameplay. Every unit I've played has been pretty rad, except the Turn-A. I can't tell if it's supposed to be a sniper or a quick fighty run in, shoot dudes, run out sort of guy but it doesn't feel particularly good at either, the weird grab and throw is pretty :wtf: and doesn't seem to do any noticable damage while also leaving your rear end open to getting got by the guy you just threw, and the Q is basically a giant rainbow "shoot me" button. I'm sure I'm just doing it wrong, but it feels like they did my boy dirty.

Venuz Patrol posted:

thank you bandai namco you delivered and i never have to think about overwatch ever again

In many ways it feels like a less poo poo overwatch, even. Marasai is basically just roadhog but not designed to be broken out of the gates.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Revitalized posted:

Barbatos's right click really really should not be a Stun. Honestly, I don't think this game needs stuns at all - with the exception of maybe Exia there aren't really any classes that have consistently extreme mobility like Tracer, Ball, or Doomfist in Overwatch, and the ttk is a bit faster. Stuff like the Marasai hook stun is fine though I guess.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

The big trick with stuns in this game is that they go through shields. So a frontline dumptruck like Sazabi has to actually be mindful about where the stuns are on the enemy team unless they want to die just as quick as anyone else.

Barbatos's problem I think is just that they thought "well they're melee so an aoe stun on a 2 second cooldown is balanced around the danger of getting in close, right?"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Barbatos' stun feels a bit overtuned in that regard, yeah, but barb himself is surprisingly fragile to any kind of sustained fire. Another target I find consistently setting off little "this is kinda whack" sirens in my head is Sazabi, and given how tight the race just to select it every match is; I think other people get it too. The shield is basically a second regenerating health bar and if you run into one alone you're basically dead since you're unlikely to be able to burn through the shield before you get stunned and shotgunned.

Barbatos has 1000 HP, which is average for the cast(Exia and Zaku II, two other close range gank flankers, have 800, for reference).

Sazabi is definitely extremely good, but I think one of the main reasons he's so commonly picked right now is less that he's overtuned and more that he's the only playable character at the moment who can really spearhead a push because no one else has the requisite durability to make it through a doorway chokepoint without being instantly deleted. Some maps right now have a really egregious problem where there's literally only one entrance that the attacking squad has to all funnel through and without a Sazabi player on the team you really can't force the choke against a deathball without blowing a ton of ultimates.

Chillgamesh posted:

Barbatos's right click really really should not be a Stun. Honestly, I don't think this game needs stuns at all - with the exception of maybe Exia there aren't really any classes that have consistently extreme mobility like Tracer, Ball, or Doomfist in Overwatch, and the ttk is a bit faster. Stuff like the Marasai hook stun is fine though I guess.

Stuns are fine when they're the payoff for something somewhat difficult. Hitting Sazabi axe toss or Marasai hook are actually pretty challenging so it's okay for them to have a big payoff. Barbatos just does aoe stun around him as a matter of course during a kill combo. They're also okay when they're tied to something you can't use much, like Asshimar ult.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
feel like just increasing the aoe stun cooldown would go a long way on making it less oppressive.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Also I think Barbato's stun is just easier to land. I think it's hard to whiff it, compared to say, RX-78's hyper hammer that kinda has a delay.

Marasai's also has a delay and kind of a stun effect, but he's sort of a 1v1 assassin.

Turn A is weird because he's *kinda* tanky but unlike Sazabi his gun is sort of hard to use. The damage is kind of eh and it's a semi-auto beam. Though I suppose the benefit is that it shoots straight. Moonlight Butterfly doesn't seem as powerful as you would think? His grapple is kinda funny but also finicky

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 9, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Chillgamesh posted:

Even if his charged mace didn't stun at all it would still be a death combo. He can kill most gundams with just mace + sword ability and the sword comes out fast. Unless he mismanages his cooldowns there is basically no situation where he will hit you with the charged mace, stun you, and then you will sit there stunned and still alive. Normally he just presses F immediately afterwards and you die before the stun matters.

But stuns are needed in this game to cancel all the self-shielding gundams like GM and Sazabi, since stuns also cancel the shield ability.
..Except poor little Marasai. His useless sea snake hook is the only stun in the game that actually loses to shields instead of countering them.

Revitalized posted:

Also I think Barbato's stun is just easier to land. I think it's hard to whiff it, compared to say, RX-78's hyper hammer that kinda has a delay.

Marasai's also has a delay and kind of a stun effect, but he's sort of a 1v1 assassin.

Turn A is weird because he's *kinda* tanky but unlike Sazabi his gun is sort of hard to use. The damage is kind of eh and it's a semi-auto beam. Though I suppose the benefit is that it shoots straight. Moonlight Butterfly doesn't seem as powerful as you would think? His grapple is kinda funny but also finicky

From the bit I've played of Barbatos his stun seems actually pretty hard to land against people who know you're there and are trying to juke it. You stop being able to turn about halfway through the swing animation so if people move unpredictably side to side you'll often whiff. If they just run in a straight line you can easily chase and still kill with your three dashes though.

He's most dangerous when he takes you from surprise, coming down from above on top of you or lurking around a corner in a door to the capture point with a charged-up mace ready to go.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Turn A is a midrange skirmisher suit who's designed to plink down range. He's got a very accurate nearly hitscan rifle with low damage falloff, and a self heal that lets him win peek wars, but he offers basically nothing in close quarters combat because of the low DPS of his weapon relative to other close range combatants. The grab can let him win fights if he gets jumped, but it's so slow and so punishing to miss that it's too weak of a tool to really try to use offensively.

Moonlight Butterfly is a weird ult, because how good it is depends entirely on the terrain. In larger, open environments where you have a decent flight ceiling and the enemy team is relatively collected, it's a "kill the entire enemy team" button - you simply fly over them and let the particles disintegrate them. In tight spaces or areas where the enemy is encouraged to spread out a lot, it's basically unusable.

I find him to be fantastic on some maps/points and really terrible on others; possibly one of the most map dependent suits in the game at the moment.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i don't really think changing the cooldown on Barbatos' stun will make it feel any better when one walks around a corner and kills you from full health without any sort of way to react for the majority of suits (possibly only zaku?). it's unfortunately one of those things where the issue isn't really balance per se, it's gamefeel. i doubt Barbatos is overtuned but boy howdy does it lead to bad brain chemical moments.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Countblanc posted:

i don't really think changing the cooldown on Barbatos' stun will make it feel any better when one walks around a corner and kills you from full health without any sort of way to react for the majority of suits (possibly only zaku?). it's unfortunately one of those things where the issue isn't really balance per se, it's gamefeel. i doubt Barbatos is overtuned but boy howdy does it lead to bad brain chemical moments.

I can think of precisely zero situations where I'd rather have Exia as my team's flanking melee assassin than Barbatos, and I don't think Exia is weak.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Ooooooh. That's why I feel like I can't hit anything with certain suits. Asia is the default matchmaking area.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Unhappy Meal posted:

Ooooooh. That's why I feel like I can't hit anything with certain suits. Asia is the default matchmaking area.

It even says "Recommended" next to it for some reason lol

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Is the Guntanks Ultimate a reference to what I think it is?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tips for playing the sazabi?

Unlucky7 posted:

yes lol

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Stairmaster posted:

tips for playing the sazabi?

Use the shield to close gaps if you're on the attacking team. If you're defending, block doorways and passages. The hatchet isn't just good for loving people up with a stun but can be used to get out of a battle by dashing to it. And don't forget that your shotgun has surprisingly decent range, even if the damage drops off; just peppering people with damage while you're zooming past will put people on edge and keep them from passively regenerating their hp.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 9, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I watched the second movie for the first time last night and couldn't fuckin believe it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
:smith: RIP Ryu Jose :smith:

:unsmigghh:

Anyway, I signed up late. Any chance that they will take in additional people?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, they specifically extended sign ups into the test itself, so they're probably still picking people

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I'm a bit curious about the keymapping though. I noticed switching between suits that abilities aren't always mapped to the same set of buttons. That seems like an odd choice given the genre conventions.

This was like the first thing I noticed and I really don't get why they would do this.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Kanos posted:

Some maps right now have a really egregious problem where there's literally only one entrance that the attacking squad has to all funnel through and without a Sazabi player on the team you really can't force the choke against a deathball without blowing a ton of ultimates.

Which maps? Generally you can flank, but that's provided the other side doesn't have 2-3 on the flank route.

I feel the attack/defend mode with lines toward the objective like Overwatches is the weakest mode because of that. But the A/B/C attack mode/conquest-like is able to at least flank generally.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I think it's the Moonbase 2CP attack/defend map which has a worse choke than Temple of Anubis right at the start. If the defending team is coordinated and communicating with one another it's really hard to break, even with the favorable health kit placement for attackers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Which maps? Generally you can flank, but that's provided the other side doesn't have 2-3 on the flank route.

I feel the attack/defend mode with lines toward the objective like Overwatches is the weakest mode because of that. But the A/B/C attack mode/conquest-like is able to at least flank generally.

Several of the attacker vs. defender point cap maps have only single chokes leading to at least one objective, and so does at least one of the bomb maps.

The A-B-C rotating cap maps are generally really good and I love the mode because the maps are rats' warrens that provide tons of approach and flank paths and the constantly shifting objective point means that it's hard for a team to form a cohesive deathball and stagnate the match. Even if you get stonewalled out of an objective it's frequently possible for a team to make a big comeback simply by abandoning a losing objective and pre-emptively taking favorable ground on the next one.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

There's one map, I think it's another moon map?, where the points are stowed in separate buildings in a compound and one of them is really, really, easily blocked by a sazabi with a methuss squatting behind it, I was in a match where that pair could hold off my entire team and it took an ult for us to clear through.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I successfully won 2/14 games now :toot:

It's entirely dependent on if someone quits or crashes or not, followed by if your Barbatos is good or not

Also it's pretty funny that the game says it won't penalize you for leaving (except for if you lose the match), then it does anyway

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Realized that with Turn A, you can sprint and charge his rifle at the same time. That makes him so much more effective.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ive become char aznable irl being forced to pilot the sazabi because none of my loving teammates want to

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Speaking of, I want that Char Zaku skin, but also don't think I have it in me to force the grind. I've got work I should be doing. :smith:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
someone needs to take a second pass at some of the challenges.

Or at least stop putting suits that are incapable of doing critical hits in the "get 2 kills with a critical hit" challenge.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Unhappy Meal posted:

Speaking of, I want that Char Zaku skin, but also don't think I have it in me to force the grind. I've got work I should be doing. :smith:

Can you even get season pass points outside of the daily quests?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nuebot posted:

Can you even get season pass points outside of the daily quests?

Yes. You get them by playing games. I think there is something where maybe you have to change up your suit every now and then to get more points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kibner posted:

Yes. You get them by playing games. I think there is something where maybe you have to change up your suit every now and then to get more points?

Oh, nice. I thought you only got points for the challenges! I guess I'll be playing more then.