Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Endorph posted:

just release a pc port of extreme versus for fucks sake

Yes please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

guys it's one of the three pillars of the gundam metaverse you don't get it

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
why would anyone trust bamco after the tire fire that was gevo?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

99 gundams are dropped from a battleship

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

They're 100% going to do a moba next

im enough of a sick gently caress to try that

Endorph posted:

99 gundams are dropped from a battleship

This would be so bad rear end if they did like different eras. Zeta/ZZ mode where half the players can just turn into a plane with lovely fuel economy

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Any game that is designed from the ground up to be an esport is absolutely doomed. I have no idea how companies have not figured out that the way to foster a competitive scene for a game is to make it broadly appealing and popular first so that there's an invested audience who wants to see what it looks like when people are really good at a game they like already.

All of the most enduring esports games - Starcraft, CS, DotA, League - were not at all designed with esports in mind and the esports around them blew up because tons of people loved those games.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

They're 100% going to do a moba next

finally, a game where I can main Methuss

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just want to play around as a robot, bamco. Why is this so hard?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

An esport chase game being a MOBA makes too much sense for Bamco, it'll be a Battle Royale somehow.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
have there been any actual profitable mobas in the past 5 years that weren't flash in the pan mobile garbage fires? Pokemon unite is the only one I can think of and that has the benefit of being a first party switch game

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
first party Wonderswan HD game, c'mon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

Any game that is designed from the ground up to be an esport is absolutely doomed. I have no idea how companies have not figured out that the way to foster a competitive scene for a game is to make it broadly appealing and popular first so that there's an invested audience who wants to see what it looks like when people are really good at a game they like already.

All of the most enduring esports games - Starcraft, CS, DotA, League - were not at all designed with esports in mind and the esports around them blew up because tons of people loved those games.
fighting games are kind of designed as competitive experiences first and foremost but also fighting games are by their design meant for that kind of thing

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

fighting games are kind of designed as competitive experiences first and foremost but also fighting games are by their design meant for that kind of thing

CS, DotA, and LoL are also designed as competitive experiences, but crucially the competitive experience they were designed around was people having fun playing against other people at a basic level rather than at a semi-professional level for people to make money from. Street Fighter 2 got its legs the same way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, the FGC in general had enough of a grassroots buildup to earn it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i really want to know what bandai internally cites as the reason behind gundam evolution's failure, if they're still swinging at esports after this

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

i really want to know what bandai internally cites as the reason behind gundam evolution's failure, if they're still swinging at esports after this

not enough mtx

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

needed more currency types

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

theyll clarify that the barbatos oneshotting you was up to interpretation

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Endorph posted:

I almost spit my food out at this, thank you.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

not enough melees and snipers

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

KoB posted:

not enough melees and snipers

honestly barbatos was fine or bad for the entirety of s1 (I didn't play much at all of s2 bc NA mm was dead) but snipers regardless of their power level promote boring play and are a relic of 30 year old FPS design and any sniper suit could have been designed as something more engaging

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
just don't get hit lol

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

We should have gotten a playable zeong

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

just play hyperion

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
I don't know what I hated more, having 2 snipers on the enemy team or mine. I played GM so sniping wasn't usually do much of an issue but people are so bad at object permanence, and all it takes is one time getting their own head caved into playing snipers themselves instead of something that actually helps to the team, or fits their level of aiming.

I played a few games recently and I will not be missing that when this game gets dumpstered for good.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

The charged right click and jump stab are just really good friends who live on the same character

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Babrbatos was fine and snipers were fine I say as sound of a flatline begins growing in intensity in the background

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

They never made any kind of marketing or streamer push after launch did they

I'd think the season structure would be a good time to regularly pay some streamers to get eyeballs on the new suit and whatever but did that ever happen?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nope. they never had an official tournament either. which, you think a game aiming to be an esport would have a launch tournament. pay a few esports orgs to put together some teams, give them a couple weeks to play the beta, have the tournament within a week or two of launch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

nope. they never had an official tournament either. which, you think a game aiming to be an esport would have a launch tournament. pay a few esports orgs to put together some teams, give them a couple weeks to play the beta, have the tournament within a week or two of launch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought there were tournaments? Didn't they nerf Methuss because it was too good/omnipresent in them?

Also, lol, remember they nerfed Methuss

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

okay looking it up there were like, 2 tournaments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMVWiKnB58

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i remember a streamer tournament at game launch

god this game had every opportunity to eat overwatch 2's lunch and just tripped over its own two feet. i remember tuning into streamers from overwatch at launch going "yeah i got paid to try this out but it's actually pretty good" and then i guess the marketing budget ran out

could've fixed barbatos and snipers, could've made more than one marketing push, could've had a better monetization scheme, could've had severs that didn't randomly boot people from games and then penalize them for leaving, like fix any one of these things and the game probably does remarkably better. alas

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 19, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, it's finally happening.

The next Death of a Game video from Nerdslayer is gonna be GunEvo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't know who that is

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

youtuber who spins speculation as fact on why a game fails or dies

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

guy who had a giant video ranting about how gamergate was a little cooky but like, feminism IS bad, guys

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
anyone who has "productions" or "studios" in their YouTube channel name is sus imho

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Endorph posted:

guy who had a giant video ranting about how gamergate was a little cooky but like, feminism IS bad, guys

Yeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Endorph posted:

Oh boy!