Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kanos posted:

The first SEED suit is an up-jumped grunt that showed up in like the last five episodes of SEED Destiny and has almost no screen time, so anything is possible.

The marasai is specifically the one from like one scene in Unicorn lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
To be fair that guy died in a real cool way. Guntank is shockingly fun.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Also it’s total horseshit turn a doesn’t get his hammer.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Kanos posted:

The stuff in the beta season pass doesn't carry over to live. All you get is a player icon and an RX-78 skin for hitting 20 in the beta.

Honestly, it's not worth hitting 20 in the beta, IMO. Simply because of that and the dailies are broken. They really should change the daily system to where it doesn't try to force you into certain mechs. All too often the ones that are the dailies are chosen and there is nothing you can do about it.

It's like Halo: Infinite's "do these game mode specific" ones but worse, because you at least have the OPTION of choosing the mechs, but can't due to class/hero locks.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The dailies work fine? You generally get a selection of 3 suits for each daily, and you don't need to play them for an entire game for stuff like "win", just a round. They also have very low requirements for completion so it's pretty easy to one and done them. I think the only one I ever got that was annoying was a headshot kills daily where my options were Sazabi, Dom Trooper, and GM.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kanos posted:

The dailies work fine? You generally get a selection of 3 suits for each daily, and you don't need to play them for an entire game for stuff like "win", just a round. They also have very low requirements for completion so it's pretty easy to one and done them. I think the only one I ever got that was annoying was a headshot kills daily where my options were Sazabi, Dom Trooper, and GM.

What counts as "winning" with a suit anyway? Winning while playing it as the game ends, or playing it at all during a winning game?

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

What counts as "winning" with a suit anyway? Winning while playing it as the game ends, or playing it at all during a winning game?

See, this is why the system is awful. It doesn't explain. If Kanos is right and you only need to switch, ok: Great, that's better but the way the system works is just poorly thought out and not explained. It causes me (personally) anxiety on having to lock into mechs to do them, it causes me anxiety to make sure to stay in them to make sure the objectives are reached and counted.

It's just a bad system and doesn't make sense for a F2P shooter to limit you this hard.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Playing at all during a winning game. I've gotten credit for only playing it in a round where I've lost but played another suit for the overall win.

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

See, this is why the system is awful. It doesn't explain. If Kanos is right and you only need to switch, ok: Great, that's better but the way the system works is just poorly thought out and not explained. It causes me (personally) anxiety on having to lock into mechs to do them, it causes me anxiety to make sure to stay in them to make sure the objectives are reached and counted.

It's just a bad system and doesn't make sense for a F2P shooter to limit you this hard.

I honestly don't get it. If they were actually onerous, like "get a 20 killstreak" or something, then I could see it being incredibly lovely, but the target numbers for every daily I've seen pop is stuff that happens in like two minutes of gameplay like "get 5 kills" or "do 5000 damage". You don't have to meticulously track your numbers, you just play like, a single round with the suit and it finishes. I don't think it's horribly limiting or mean for them to go "play a single round of the game with this suit", it's honestly way more generous than most F2P daily grinds that I've seen which frequently require you to actually focus on doing stuff or winning multiple games.

I say this as basically a mono-suit main who has a pick rate of like 90% on Methuss, for reference(and my non-Methuss games are basically all daily quest games, games where a friend wanted to play it, or games where some pub sniped it).

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 10, 2022

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I managed to hit rank 9 in one night, hitting rank 20 by the end of tomorrow isn't impossible if I spend all day doing it :shepface:

Anyway for mechs I'd like to see, I'll throw out dumb stuff like the Efreet and Blue Destiny. I love them even if they're stupid.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nuebot posted:

I managed to hit rank 9 in one night, hitting rank 20 by the end of tomorrow isn't impossible if I spend all day doing it :shepface:

Anyway for mechs I'd like to see, I'll throw out dumb stuff like the Efreet and Blue Destiny. I love them even if they're stupid.

Pale Rider is basically Blue Destiny Mk. 2! Apparently.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Pale Rider is basically BD 2.0 so I can’t imagine it showing up except maybe as a legendary skin or such, sadly. :smith: Which is honestly something I wouldn’t mind, lemme play as a Flag reskin for the asshimmar or something.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Pale Rider is basically Blue Destiny Mk. 2! Apparently.

It's basically the more mass produced and functional version of it since the original blue destiny was made with a newtype girl's ghost inside of its special computer IIRC. The original Blue Destiny line were very much just repurposed GMs for the purposes of testing it

Kitfox88 posted:

Pale Rider is basically BD 2.0 so I can’t imagine it showing up except maybe as a legendary skin or such, sadly. :smith: Which is honestly something I wouldn’t mind, lemme play as a Flag reskin for the asshimmar or something.

I was thinking about that, doing something like that - grouping different mechs together as skins - would probably be a great way for more representation without having to make a million different distinct characters. Like they could make a dozen odd GM skins for the GM, same for the Zaku.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah. Like we already have the G3 and Char's Zaku 2. Some of them would be rougher like converting the DOM Trooper to the UC Doms since they don't have a combo bazooka but for a lot of the grunt suits at least I think it'd be a way to get folk's niche faves in without having a billion nearly identical characters.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

They can absolutely do skin variants that are very similar to the original suit(G-3 and Char's Zaku are the examples already, ofc), but I'm not sure if I want them to plug in completely different suits as skins. It might get pretty confusing for target recognition if you go too wild with it. The movement speed and TTK is so low that you frequently only have an audio cue or a second or two to recognize what you're fighting and how to deal with it and having to remember that Exia has a Deathscythe skin or something would be annoying.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

6v6 is still hot loving garbage and the fact that nothing seems to happen if somebody leaves meaning you're trapped in a total no hope waste of time and losing points is absurd even for the network test.

Zaku II fuckin rules

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
games that don't at minimum replace a missing player with AI are unconscionable at this point. even if they're trash it's better than nothing

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got added last night after signing up that day. Downloading now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Asshimar is an unexpected but welcome choice

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

G Gundam's rep in keeping with the weirdo choices here will be

*googles*

Pharaoh Gundam

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just noticed one of the voices(type k) is goku

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

RevolverDivider posted:

6v6 is still hot loving garbage and the fact that nothing seems to happen if somebody leaves meaning you're trapped in a total no hope waste of time and losing points is absurd even for the network test.

I think if someone leaves a big message is displayed saying you can leave too. (though I suppose you might lose points yeah. But I mean who cares about ranked points in a network test, it's all wiped anyways)

If someone leaves extra early, the entire match is terminated.

Nuebot posted:

It's basically the more mass produced and functional version of it since the original blue destiny was made with a newtype girl's ghost inside of its special computer IIRC. The original Blue Destiny line were very much just repurposed GMs for the purposes of testing it

I was thinking about that, doing something like that - grouping different mechs together as skins - would probably be a great way for more representation without having to make a million different distinct characters. Like they could make a dozen odd GM skins for the GM, same for the Zaku.

There's only two legendary skins so far and they don't seem to really change the shape of the mobile suit. Most games put major aesthetic shifts on legendary skins but here we have G-3 Gundam (which is just RX-78 grayed out) and this weird Matrix colored Exia. Looks cool sure, but it's still Exia's exact shape and design.

I'd be all over Blue Destiny in some form regardless though, and then change the HADES G-Manuever icon to EXAM.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 10, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Revitalized posted:

I think if someone leaves a big message is displayed saying you can leave too. (though I suppose you might lose points yeah. But I mean who cares about ranked points in a network test, it's all wiped anyways)

If someone leaves extra early, the entire match is terminated.

There's only two legendary skins so far and they don't seem to really change the shape of the mobile suit. Most games put major aesthetic shifts on legendary skins but here we have G-3 Gundam (which is just RX-78 grayed out) and this weird Matrix colored Exia. Looks cool sure, but it's still Exia's exact shape and design.

I'd be all over Blue Destiny in some form regardless though, and then change the HADES G-Manuever icon to EXAM.

If someone leaves, the game displays a big message saying "you can leave too, and you won't lose any rank points, but you still can't play the game".
You get locked out of multiplayer until the match you left ends, even if someone else already left.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If someone leaves, the game displays a big message saying "you can leave too, and you won't lose any rank points, but you still can't play the game".
You get locked out of multiplayer until the match you left ends, even if someone else already left.

OH. That's kinda hosed lol.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Revitalized posted:

If someone leaves a match, then you can leave the match without being punished with a penalty period that you have to wait out before you can join another match. However, you can't join another match until that one ends, so you're still stuck waiting at the main menu for several minutes anyway.

Moreover, the result of the match is still applied to your ranking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

No it's the other way around, it just takes a few seconds to clear. After that you're penalized extra points for leaving after someone else has, penalized again once your team finishes losing, but you can play another round in the meantime.

It's almost the worst possible way to handle it lmao

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

RBA Starblade posted:

No it's the other way around, it just takes a few seconds to clear. After that you're penalized extra points for leaving after someone else has, penalized again once your team finishes losing, but you can play another round in the meantime.

It's almost the worst possible way to handle it lmao

Nah, they changed it today. Now after one player leaves the match, after a little while everyone else can leave too without any penalty. However, everyone who leaves the game can't join a new game until the game they left ends.

There's no rank penalty for leaving, but if anyone stays and plays out the game, the result of the game will be applied to everyone's ranks.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Man, I never noticed many leavers in the 2050+ range but after the last wave of testers last night, I've fallen to like 1930 and it feels like every match

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, after a few hours, it is pretty fun, though the shooting still feels a bit off. Hopefully they can get it right. I am optimistic though!

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Looks like I got in last night. I'm really enjoying it so far. The sniper seems a bit strong right now, but most people are not good at using the moment yet

Keeping track of cooldown on the health orbs and denying them seems to be a key part of shutting down better teams

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Axel Serenity posted:

Man, I never noticed many leavers in the 2050+ range but after the last wave of testers last night, I've fallen to like 1930 and it feels like every match

Yeah it feels like since last night the playerbase has become really strictly people who are super good, or people who will sit there and stare at the objective as the enemy team takes it and make no effort to stop them. My rank has dropped down below 1950 too.

Anyway has anyone figured out how to consistently trigger the +80 "experience" bonus for your battle pass? I have like half a day left but I'd like to at least try and get that rank 20.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Add shadow fox from zoids it's basically the same as gundam

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
hell yeah

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What counts as a "critical hit kill" because headshots as the Asshimar don't seem to.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

On the cusp of battle pass 20, here's my super preliminary "this is what I've observed" tier list after talking with my friends who play while drinking for a few hours:

SS:
  • Barbatos: The best flanker in the game and completely warps the entire game around his existence. Incredible AoE damage and chain crowd control coupled with game-best mobility(he's better at moving around than the flyers ffs), low cooldowns, and average durability means that he has virtually no weaknesses. Most of the counterplay to him isn't about shutting him out, it's how to avoid him instantly killing you, which is extremely telling. If you're trying hard to win, your team had better have one and you had better hope yours is as good or better than the enemy team's.

S:
  • Methuss: Currently the only true support, and a fantastic one. Extremely solid damage output with a good burst option gives it surprising punch and lets it win many fights you wouldn't think a support would be able to. Boasts extremely strong mobility which allows it to reposition to help the team, go for cheeky back caps, or simply escape being gibbed by a flanker. A properly deployed ult on this thing swings games. Another one of those "your team should really have one of these if you're trying to win" picks.
  • Sazabi: A wall of steel who is the best spearhead to a push in the game. Almost unbeatable in 1v1 duels unless you have a stun(and you'd better hope you throw your stun before it does) as well as capable of two or three shotting any suit in the game once it's in solid shotgun range. Amazing mobility for what a huge fatass it is with the tomahawk toss dash, and his G-Maneuver creates a moving death zone, especially when paired with a Methuss ult. You can win without this suit, but there's nobody that does what it does as well.
  • Zaku II: Another flanker, the Zaku II also has great mobility and absolutely fantastic DPS, as well as the ability to get out of dodge. This suit is all about being an annoying backdoor gremlin and forcing the enemy team to constantly chase you through their backfield while you pop out of the loving vents and shoot someone to death before skittering away cackling. Possibly the only suit with a good 1v1 matchup against Barbatos due to having tons of dashes and an invuln button.

A:
  • Dom Trooper: An extremely durable skirmisher, the Dom Trooper is in its element holding choke points by spamming mines and rocket splashing doorways and objectives constantly. It's the natural enemy of deathballs forcing chokes, rezzing against it is impossible, and it's also supreme good at stopping bomb disarms. Its armor gun is low key one of the best support abilities in the game, giving an ally an instant and huge boost of temporary HP that can change what would be a dead ally into some dead enemies like magic. The only things holding this suit back are its lackluster G-Maneuver and the incredibly long reload time on the bazooka.
  • GM Sniper: I hemmed and hawed a bit about this suit's placement because it's possibly the most skill-dependent suit in the game and a bad one is worse than useless, but if you've got a player on GM Sniper that knows how to click heads, it's a game-changer. A GM Sniper headshot will instantly kill any suit in the game(except Sazabi, I believe) from full HP. On top of that, he's got decent self defense, a good mobility utility piece for allies in the bounce pad, a maphack-for-the-team G-Maneuver that charges insanely fast and stuffs flanks, and a ranged revival button. The only thing that holds this suit back is the aforementioned skill requirement and some map objectives have terrible sight lines that effectively preclude sniping. Situational but gamebreaking in the situations where it's good.
  • Gundam: Extremely basic but solid and reliable skirmisher unit. Its rifle is reliable and decently powerful and makes it a threat at all ranges and the shield makes it resistant/immune to ranged pokes while it repositions, but the star of the show is the hammer toss. Once you get the hang of it the hammer toss is a unit deleter and makes the suit a 1v1 terror. Its G-Maneuver requires some finesse because it can be killed, but if deployed properly it can instantly clear a contested objective and anyone it kills is also almost guaranteed to not be revivable due to the persistent DoT.
  • Guntank: Durable, constant tick damage at all ranges. If you're in LOS of the Guntank, it's hitting you constantly; it's not a lot of damage, but it adds up dangerously, especially when paired with teammates. Shockingly adept at defending itself in close quarters due to its high HP and gunfire-immune melee dash, though it excels in places with long open fire lanes where the enemy has no ability to break LOS and has to die to its chip. G-Maneuver is also great at clearing out contested chokes, though it can be killed so needs to be deployed somewhat carefully.

B:
  • Pale Rider: Somewhere halfway between the Gundam and the Guntank, it's a mid-range skirmisher unit. Its machine gun is extremely accurate and powerful, but is held back horribly by a tiny little baby magazine size that will basically never kill a full HP enemy in one mag unless you consistently headshot for 2/3rds of the mag. The grenade is an okay finisher but nothing fantastic. The slow grenade is nearly worthless outside of the very specific application of trying to hold a choke; trying to use it in 1v1 will at best force a single dash out of the enemy. The heal station is decent utility but IMO inferior to the Gundam's shield(which prevents damage completely). Its G-Maneuver is its greatest failing; a self-steroid that merely makes it faster and buffs its machine gun hugely, but does nothing to increase the suit's durability, and also plays an extremely loud and distinctive sound and changes your animations when activated so the enemy team knows to focus fire you dead. It's like Methuss ult if it was self only and also bad.
  • GM: I loving love this suit but I think it's not super great at the moment. A decent main weapon and a powerful shield are a good start, its satchel charge is devastating, and its ultimate is basically a "someone will die if they approach this point" because the mines are insanely durable. The problem with it is that it's just crushingly vulnerable. With only one dash and a pathetic 800 HP, it's 100% entirely reliant on the shield to survive, which means it's pretty much food for flankers and dies instantly and for free to every stun in the game(except Marasai's). If it had one more boost dash or some more HP it would be A tier.
  • Asshimar: Another flanker, but flying this time. A strong rifle with power shot and a brutally powerful flame grenade give this thing a decent toolkit. It's also pretty much the only dedicated flanker unit that can respectably shoot down range if it needs to. The tradeoff is that unlike the other flankers it has some difficulty instantly 100-0ing people unless you land a juicy grenade toss, and despite being able to fly its ground mobility is inferior. It also has a lame ult which is basically Zaku II's but worse. Not a bad suit, but not great either.
  • Exia: If Barbatos is overtuned, this guy is probably a little undertuned. This suit is a flanker but has an extremely high skill floor; you have to time and combo your abilities properly and it helps a whooole lot if you can reliably headshot with the dagger tosses to actually burst people dead. Reliant on ult to do what Barbatos does normally, pretty much. It's still a huge threat when played competently but it is not pick up and play and is also incredibly easy to be useless on.

Needs Work:
  • Turn A: This suit's purpose is to be a durable mid range skirmish sniper suit with self-defense, but the problem is that there is literally no reason to pick it besides liking the suit's aesthetic. The GM Sniper horribly outperforms it in long range scenarios(while also humorously being better at defending itself from sudden flanks) and the Gundam smokes it in mid to close range. The judo throw might be the single worst button in the entire game - it's short range, unprotected, does poo poo damage, and punishes you horribly with a ridiculously long recovery if you miss despite not being a particularly strong button. Moonlight Butterfly can be rendered a completely useless G-Maneuver by terrain on a distressingly high percentage of objectives, and kills slowly enough that it can be escaped rather easily by players who know the map. They really need to give this suit another button(missiles? a gundam hammer?) and rework the judo throw heavily.
  • Marasai: This suit combines a nearly Gundam-tier beam rifle with a brutal kill combo with the hook -> stab. The problem is that the hook is horribly short range and has a nasty startup so it's not great against squirrely fast units, and for some reason is the only stun in the game that bounces off of shields instead of crushing them. I think if they made it so the grapple instantly trashed a shield but didn't pull the target, it would be a good compromise and would give this suit a nice niche as a counterpick to Sazabi frontlines.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

If they made the turn-a flip come out fast and not kill you for whiffing it'd be an interesting alternative to the vulcan pod for "somebody got too close" button but yeah its just unusable as is.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I agree that Methuss has an absolutely ridiculous kit and is my favorite suit in the game currently.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Pale Rider is straightforward but quirky, probably what GM Sniper mains should be playing on the closer maps. The full auto recoil isn't terrible, but tap firing makes it substantially easier to get the 2/3rd headshots you need, especially at range.

Once you get really good at throwing his heal thing down just around corners at chokepoints (so that it can't be destroyed by direct fire), it makes it a lot easier for the team to push through. I also noticed that when I made an effort to always try and throw it down on myself before the reload starts, my survivability went way up. My high score right now is 72 eliminations against a particularly bad team

His nade might not be the best, but I'm having fun with it

Methus seems really strong, I think I'm gonna give him a rip next

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I kind of wonder if they will ever bring over the Heavyarms, concidering it feels like the Guntank fills its own obvious niche.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Kanos posted:

On the cusp of battle pass 20, here's my super preliminary "this is what I've observed" tier list after talking with my friends who play while drinking for a few hours:

SS:
  • Barbatos: The best flanker in the game and completely warps the entire game around his existence. Incredible AoE damage and chain crowd control coupled with game-best mobility(he's better at moving around than the flyers ffs), low cooldowns, and average durability means that he has virtually no weaknesses. Most of the counterplay to him isn't about shutting him out, it's how to avoid him instantly killing you, which is extremely telling. If you're trying hard to win, your team had better have one and you had better hope yours is as good or better than the enemy team's.

I've only played about 3 matches but I hate this loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's amazing how much more fun the game is when a Barbatos isn't on either team