Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Did they buy the Overwatch engine from Blizzard?
The earlier JP-only previews had like the exact same style as the Overwatch UI, and I'm not sure whether that was an intentional decision to copy it or what:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ybJVEE3-M

There were also some beta tests in Japanese already IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Game is up as of 2 hours ago!
Marasai's hook seems incredibly hard to aim

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

beer gas canister posted:

Played a round tonight. My first impression is that the classes seem a little flat, with some exceptions (Guntank, Sazabi). Their strengths and roles are not as clearly delineated as Overwatch, which leads to some rough team compositions. Overall the strategy seems to emphasize speed, aggression and momentum over the tankier and more methodical team play in Overwatch. Heals are harder to get, though more plentiful in the environment, and gank kills happen fast. Lots of potential!

Having the MMO-style super delineated roles where each team member has one specific playstyle-defining role and isn't "allowed" to do other stuff is what makes overwatch a bad game.

Lacking that delineation and especially not having dedicated "tanks" at all makes Gundam Evolution a lot more fun and less restrictive. (There are tanky gundams who can shield themselves, but none with team-wide shields, and they're just about as squishy as any other gundam when the shield is down.)
It means teamplay arises organically from people working together and doing what the team needs instead of just everyone playing their one dedicated role's minigame.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MonsterEnvy posted:

Does Barbatos not have it's big mace?

Barbatos actually has the mace as its only weapon, in place of a gun.
Most other gundams don't have any melee capabilities, although a few including Guntank and Gundam Exia have melee attacks as abilities with cooldowns.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gamerofthegame posted:

game feels weird imo, time to kill might be too short

which also means the standard punk GM who has a shield is extremely powerful simply because it has a shield, I did a 26 killstreak on the first game and first of all why is there that many kills in a game

"Killstreaks" count assists too (i think they copied that from overwatch?)
Tag an enemy with any damage before a teammate kills them and you'll get +1 to your killstreak. I got a 21 streak as dom trooper just by throwing a bunch of mines all over the control point and shooting in the vague direction of groups of enemies with my rocket launcher. All that aoe spam gets you kill participation credit on a lot of dudes.
Teammates killing someone while affected by GM's regen grenade might give credit too.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Unhappy Meal posted:

Barbatos is mostly just pub stomp material. The 2 second stun is a little eyebrow raising, but it doesn't come with movement so they have to actually use their dash with it.

Zaku II is a good choice for dumpstering a Barbatos giving you trouble since they're just as mobile while getting to put out their stupid high damage at a longer range.

Barbatos can charge his stun during his E jump. Against people who don't look up he can land a jump-stun into his sword move for a guaranteed kill, although if they pay attention they can dash away or possibly even walk out of range since his air mobility is pretty poor. He's a lot less dangerous in areas with low roofs though.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 8, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Chillgamesh posted:

Barbatos's right click really really should not be a Stun. Honestly, I don't think this game needs stuns at all - with the exception of maybe Exia there aren't really any classes that have consistently extreme mobility like Tracer, Ball, or Doomfist in Overwatch, and the ttk is a bit faster. Stuff like the Marasai hook stun is fine though I guess.

Even if his charged mace didn't stun at all it would still be a death combo. He can kill most gundams with just mace + sword ability and the sword comes out fast. Unless he mismanages his cooldowns there is basically no situation where he will hit you with the charged mace, stun you, and then you will sit there stunned and still alive. Normally he just presses F immediately afterwards and you die before the stun matters.

But stuns are needed in this game to cancel all the self-shielding gundams like GM and Sazabi, since stuns also cancel the shield ability.
..Except poor little Marasai. His useless sea snake hook is the only stun in the game that actually loses to shields instead of countering them.

Revitalized posted:

Also I think Barbato's stun is just easier to land. I think it's hard to whiff it, compared to say, RX-78's hyper hammer that kinda has a delay.

Marasai's also has a delay and kind of a stun effect, but he's sort of a 1v1 assassin.

Turn A is weird because he's *kinda* tanky but unlike Sazabi his gun is sort of hard to use. The damage is kind of eh and it's a semi-auto beam. Though I suppose the benefit is that it shoots straight. Moonlight Butterfly doesn't seem as powerful as you would think? His grapple is kinda funny but also finicky

From the bit I've played of Barbatos his stun seems actually pretty hard to land against people who know you're there and are trying to juke it. You stop being able to turn about halfway through the swing animation so if people move unpredictably side to side you'll often whiff. If they just run in a straight line you can easily chase and still kill with your three dashes though.

He's most dangerous when he takes you from surprise, coming down from above on top of you or lurking around a corner in a door to the capture point with a charged-up mace ready to go.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Unhappy Meal posted:

Speaking of, I want that Char Zaku skin, but also don't think I have it in me to force the grind. I've got work I should be doing. :smith:

FYI the char zaku skin is only for the duration of the beta. You get a reward in the final game for reaching battlepass level 20 in the playtest, but it isn't that reward. It's an rx-78 skin

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Revitalized posted:

I think if someone leaves a big message is displayed saying you can leave too. (though I suppose you might lose points yeah. But I mean who cares about ranked points in a network test, it's all wiped anyways)

If someone leaves extra early, the entire match is terminated.

There's only two legendary skins so far and they don't seem to really change the shape of the mobile suit. Most games put major aesthetic shifts on legendary skins but here we have G-3 Gundam (which is just RX-78 grayed out) and this weird Matrix colored Exia. Looks cool sure, but it's still Exia's exact shape and design.

I'd be all over Blue Destiny in some form regardless though, and then change the HADES G-Manuever icon to EXAM.

If someone leaves, the game displays a big message saying "you can leave too, and you won't lose any rank points, but you still can't play the game".
You get locked out of multiplayer until the match you left ends, even if someone else already left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You can't headshot a shield and Zaku's damage per mag is really low without headshots. There is 0 chance that Zaku is sticking around and reloading like 2-3 times to magdump into GM's 1200 or 1600 hp shield or whatever it is without GM's teammates killing him, unless the supporty healy gundam is running off on a solo adventure in narnia nowhere near any of his teammates.

GM also does not force a stationary position. His heal grenade puts a timed regen on everyone it hits, it's not a field like Night Rider's.