Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

So uh this game actually kicks rear end. Had one insanely laggy game but beyond that it's fun as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Thinking about it now one of the main things the game needs imo is a general projectile visibility increase; It's kinda hard to tell where your shots are going and a lot of weapons have pretty significant travel time. I have a lot of trouble hitting stuff at long range with the Turn-A's Railgun or the zook on the Dom because the projectile is pretty slow but also hard to track as the shooter. Might just be my graphics settings though

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The game could really use a quick melee, it just feels bad to wait for a full reload when you have an enemy at 5% HP directly in front of you. It's probably the biggest complaint I have about it outside of balance and visual stuff.

Gamerofthegame posted:

which also means the standard punk GM who has a shield is extremely powerful simply because it has a shield, I did a 26 killstreak on the first game and first of all why is there that many kills in a game

The GM rules. The fact that it's the in-universe equivalent of a Goomba makes stomping people with it so much more satisfying too.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Revitalized posted:

Having given this a bit more time, I'm starting to see the "un-fun" of Barbatos. Getting hit by the stun is basically a death sentence, even if Barb's the only guy there. And he maintains annoying movement when you're trying to fight him off.

Barbatos's right click really really should not be a Stun. Honestly, I don't think this game needs stuns at all - with the exception of maybe Exia there aren't really any classes that have consistently extreme mobility like Tracer, Ball, or Doomfist in Overwatch, and the ttk is a bit faster. Stuff like the Marasai hook stun is fine though I guess.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I think it's the Moonbase 2CP attack/defend map which has a worse choke than Temple of Anubis right at the start. If the defending team is coordinated and communicating with one another it's really hard to break, even with the favorable health kit placement for attackers.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

ive become char aznable irl being forced to pilot the sazabi because none of my loving teammates want to

ive become amuro ray irl being forced to pilot the gundam so i can throw hyper hammers at the loving sazabi

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The Leo would be great as an alt skin for the Zaku

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Kild posted:

Is there a resource for damage numbers?

There's an Overwatch-style shooting range that shows you the exact damage of any attack you make on a target dummy

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Oddball, and just yeet a Ball back and forth

The Ball should be playable :colbert:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Kitfox88 posted:

If they don't nerf Barbatos somehow I can't see myself playing this at launch.

EDIT: Seriously, 'melee only' is not that huge a drawback when every objective so far is 'king of the hill' or 'defend a bomb site from planting or disarming', and on top of that it has some of the best mobility in the game, can hold its insane damage stun at charge forever with zero mobility impact, and has a built in easy as pie combo to get a guaranteed kill on anyone it ambushes, while also having solid HP. If someone playing it is at all skilled then the match becomes almost entirely 'can your team focus it down while it dashes in and instantly frags before it dashes back out'

I'm not sure how overpowered Barbatos really is but it's definitely irritating as poo poo and unfun to play against. Even if you're keeping an ear out for the sound of its charged right click and keeping a mental note to check for jumps whenever you lose sight of it, the stupid thing can still just pop around any corner and instagib you. I get that they probably want to add more heavy mobile suits like the Sazabi to the game and don't want the game to become six fat boys behind shields plinking at each other, but Barbatos doesn't feel like the right check against that.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

they should do another network test

feel like playing gundams today tbh

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ehh it feels worse than GM Sniper or needing a stunner for Sazabi, because you just get stunned and die helplessly and there's no decision making involved for the Barbatos's target. Like, you generally know what sightlines a Sniper is going to be covering, so if you decide to push that sightline anyway you're betting you can use your abilities and movement to counteract the Sniper's aim. If you get on top of a Sniper and he point blank flicks and kills you, it feels bad, but it's pretty difficult to hit a shot like that so it doesn't feel unfair.

With Barbatos, literally any corner can just have some dude sitting there waiting to dash into you and stunlock you, so it feels really bad in comparison - if someone on the other team is playing Barbatos you just have to stick with your team so that when the Barbatos inevitably kills one of you, your teammate gets the trade. Beyond the dashing charged right click there really isn't any aim involved in playing Barbatos either, if it gets close to you, which it is going to do, you just die. Exia doesn't feel nearly as unfair because at least the charge attack asks the Exia player to aim.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Honestly after playing OW2 I really miss Gundam Evo more :shobon: The movement system in Evo feels really really good.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Feel like Pale Rider's EMP nade could use a buff, always felt pretty ineffectual. I didn't get a lot of playtime with it though because I didn't really ever want to play PR and it was usually picked by someone on the team

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Genuinely can't wait for the 21st

Mahiroo looks weird as hell. I think it's supposed to be Junkrat but I can't actually tell

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Idk if their engine could handle even pretend zero-G but I know I definitely wrote "put a mobile suit that can dash in the air in the game" on my survey

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Let me in fuckerrr

e: im in its gundam time

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

trip report: its good

I died, and on my killcam I saw the guntank that killed me deploy his ult so I started yelling "9/11! 9/11!" over discord and then all five of my friends died to it because they were all camping the same loving corner lmao

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tokubetsu posted:

you can change pilot voice?!?

You can set them individually per MS or set all your MS to have the same one. I think there’s 6 male and 6 female options

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I feel like Pilot VA is not gonna be something they add very often since they'd have to pay someone to record a billion voice lines

RBA Starblade posted:

A Ramba Ral voice that says that it's a Zaku boy if you get in one

It is mindboggling to me that they chose to do a melee Zaku instead of putting Gouf Custom in the game

Like it could literally have the exact same loadout, just give it the whip instead of the firestrike animation

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Holy poo poo I just googled Gouf Custom and I was not expecting that minigun, I thought Ramba Ral's Gouf was a custom model lmao

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Gundam realistically depicts the MIC as a bunch of money-grubbing greedy vultures but unfortunately depicts their pet projects as unbelievably badass mechs instead of a dumbass plane that gets shot down by rain clouds or an infantry transport with a passenger capacity of four dudes

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I just found out you can sprint backwards (not dash, sprint)

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Unicorn will probably be OP as hell but Mahiroo sounds like capital-F Fun to play so I'm definitely unlocking it first or just saving my bluecash for whenever they finally add a G-Gundam rep.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Exia is good but I think, even despite the nerfs, the Barbatos is still much stronger unless the map has a lot of open space or long sightlines like Harbor City. The GM is my favorite MS in the game by far, but I don't think it's very powerful. It's designed to be a mid to short range support character, but it badly lacks mobility and its base HP is low, which means any stun or shield break is instant death.

"Meta" comp is probably something like Sazabi, RX-78 or Marasai, Methuss or Unicorn, GM Sniper II, Barbatos, and DOM Trooper.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I normally think sniping is dishonorable but it's just so easy in this game as GM Sniper II

hell, I can stand in spawn and people will sit out there and try to shoot me at the beginning of the game

I don't play it but the GM Sniper II is so flexible it's nuts. The long range rez, head vulcan, and jump pad make it invaluable. It's probably overpowered, but it's overpowered in such a way that it doesn't feel bad to play against, and it's probably for the best that they gave the Sniper a bunch of teamplay skills so when it invariably gets slam locked every round occasionally the guy playing it will maybe help the team.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The G-3 Gundam and Char's Zaku II skins are apparently only buyable with greenbucks and for a limited time so I'm saving any green I get for Char's Zaku II.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Shining/Burning/God Gundam and whenever you ult it does Domon’s entire battle cry + everyone has to watch Fuunsaiki suit up

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Third World Reagan posted:

does premium currency really expire

I tried googling around about this and couldn't find any reference to an expiry date on EVO coins. The only hit was a thread on the Hungarian Steam forums which has since been deleted. Doesn't really make sense since you get piecemeal EVO coin drops from the battle pass so they'd have to keep a bunch of running expiry dates on everyone's accounts, plus it removes the incentive of "poo poo I have 100 evo coins sitting here, if I just buy 300 more I can open a lootbox" if they expire

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

If you're having a ton of trouble with a shield MS like Sazabi or GM (or RX-78 to a lesser extent) you can just switch to the RX-78 and lob a Hyper Hammer at them. Even if they aren't shielding when you hit them they're stunned and their shield HP is reduced to zero so they can't use it to block for a very, very long time. It hurts the Sazabi badly, but for the GM it's basically instant death since you lose 1300 shield HP plus just under half your base HP. Melee attacks also hit straight through shields, and the Sazabi tomahawk and Zaku grenade also stun opponents which can open them up to getting shredded in a teamfight.

Axel Serenity posted:

It's right on the page to buy them. The In-game store doesn't show it anymore, but the screen on the website does:

Even without expiration, the monetization is extremely, aggressively scummy and way worse than I thought it'd be. I'm worried they're just going to kill any f2p incentive by locking suits the way they are and are mostly just trying to make a quick buck rather than support a larger community long term.

Yeah there's a jank-rear end image on the official website that says they expire but it's not mentioned anywhere in text on the actual website or the game itself. But yeah, it's obvious bamco is monetizing this like a gacha game, which is a shame, because it's legit fun as gently caress.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

While playing last night I realized they're gonna put Wing Gundam in the game and it's gonna have the Buster Rifle as a Hanzo ult

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

BisbyWorl posted:

Gunpla skins where all the markings are clearly stickers and you can see nubs across the body.

This would rule

Also, are you guys who are having a lot of trouble with snipers playing ranked or something? I've only played casual so far but I've yet to encounter a sniper who felt so oppressive that I couldn't either punish them as Zaku or Asshimar or bruteforce their sightline with a shield MS, even if they hit their shots reliably.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Also I think Gundam is way too fast-paced for a charge mechanic like TF2 Sniper or Widow to work well for the GM Sniper. They probably just need to add 250-500ms delay when you scope in so that right clicking doesn't instantly give you zoom and 100% accuracy.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Okay I actually sat down and played GM Sniper II for the first time and this feels exactly like TF2 Sniper except instead of a snap quickscope headshot only 1HK'ing Medic, Spy, Sniper, Engi, and Scout, it 1HK's everyone except Heavy

Maybe adding a really short version of TF2 Sniper/Widow chargeup isn't such a bad idea after all lol. I crushed and I have terrible aim

TwatHammer posted:

So once you hit the end of the battlepass that's pretty much it, no repeatables. Poop-socked way too much time into this :v:.
:toot:

Wow. How much bpass xp do the EX tiers take?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

While trying to defuse a point as the Sazabi I pointblank shotgun crit a charging Z2R ult and killed him before his axe could connect with me and then during the same defuse attempt hit an ulting Z2M with my tomahawk and got him killed

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Chillgamesh posted:

While trying to defuse a point as the Sazabi I pointblank shotgun crit a charging Z2R ult and killed him before his axe could connect with me

Update: just did this again but I was a GM and I headshot an ulting Barbatos as he was flying at me

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

If they would just add like a 20-cap dripfeed per game, cap on level up, and/or cap dailies, it'd go a long way to extend the game's lifespan past season one

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Thats Gundam, from Gundam

As far as playing as the grunt instead of the flashy protagonist you can play as the GM, Zaku II, DOM Trooper, GM Sniper II, the Marasai, and the Mahiroo. They’re all good and it is definitely faintly satisfying to wreck people as the mobile suit equivalent of a chess pawn

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The DOM Trooper can also give someone a 300 HP spike overshield, which can make a big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zomborgon posted:

My wishlist is that they let us pilot the Ball

It'd be perfect as a non-hitscan Sniper imo