Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Instant "I now have full health or half of my health" pack pickups make me instantly want to drop this game. It places the balance so solely in the favor of mobility gundams who abuse health spawns. Its a really boring playstyle that is insanely effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'm dumb as gently caress and cannot for the life of me understand how to unlock the locked mechs...

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
If you play in a group you will be matched against groups fwiw. That can be why it sometimes feel extra lovely to play with your friends

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It really sucks how punishing it is to play with friends.

Also what is the best way to deal with gm shield? It seems way too strong

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
One shot head shots suck in any game but especially this. What were they thinking?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Kanos posted:

I'm honestly surprised the game even has text chat, even if it has such a broad profanity filter as to be comically terrible. I feel like an increasing number of games have just abandoned the concept of text chat in favor of vague pre-canned phrases specifically to not have to deal with any of that stuff.

The GM Sniper's rifle does 1100 on a headshot, so yeah, a headshot pops everything except Sazabi, Guntank, Melee Zaku, Marasai, and Dom Trooper.

That said, sniper body shots do massively less and the scope-in animation takes close to a full second, so a sniper has to be a real life newtype or incredibly cracked to quickscope headshot someone who is moving erratically and running them down at close range.

"Do massively less". They do 440 to the body. That is more than half the health of almost half of the roster. The sniper class shits out damage faster than almost any other class. Its absurd. One shotting half of the roster was a terrible design, but even if they aren't accurate they can still lay down some insane dps.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Kanos posted:

There are a whole lot of suits in the game that have a TTK of about two seconds at point blank.

And specifically one suit that has a ttk of 0 from any range.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So if your friends are ranked and your difference is greater than 3000, you can't even play casual mode together. Hoenstly what the gently caress

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Stairmaster posted:

this cannot be true gently caress you

It is true hahahhahaha

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Jack B Nimble posted:

Overwatch 2 fan taking a look at what might really be the better alternative here.

I'm a very casual gundum fan that's really only seen the Vietnam war analogue (08 MS team?), Though I did enjoy it. But if i understand the OP correctly I can play as mobile suits similar to the main two from that? I think they're the first two on the list in the OP?

Does this game let multiple people play the same Gundum or am I going to end up locked out of those two sometime?

More generally, can someone please tell me how many of these are "generic mass produced models" and how many are "bespoke prototypes piloted by very specific people in specific shows"; because while I'm fine with branching out of the one show I saw I'm strongly more inclined to play a rank and file gundum over, like, the equivalent of Rick Hunter's veritech with his VA and easter egg barks.

There are no VA's from teh show from what I know, but all of the suits are suits from the actual lore and not just random generic "gundams".

And also you can only pick one of each gundam on each team.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Oh I see what he was asking. I also don't know poo poo about gundam lol

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Diephoon posted:

My initial impression of Turn A's gun was that the alt fire charge up is basically like drawing a bow. So the suit is now "grapple Hanzo" to me :v:

Counter intuitively charging turn A's weapon makes it fire much slower. Non-charged shots are almost hitscan levels of quick. But a fully charged shot travels considerably slower.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

This feels anti-hype. How did they manage that.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
People want survivability tips? OK:

Stop dashing to the fight. Never ever dash into a fight, in fact make sure you have all your dashes when you do round the corner where enemies are.

Mobility is king in this game. And while it may seem like a single dash suit doesn't have that much mobility two things to note:

- All suits can "sprint" the same distance. The consumption of sprint is the entire boost bar, whether that is one dash or three, you will all end up sprinting the same distance before you run out of boost. On single boost mechs, that often can mean that sprinting is smarter than boosting, that being said:

- Not all boosts are built the same. Yes a three boost suit has the biggest boost range, and can boost more than once, but each individual boost is the shortest! A single boost suit actually has the longest single boost, almost twice the distance of a single boost from a three boost mech.

But seriously hold your dashes. Yes as you get better dashes are good for thirsting enemies, repositioning, but in the beginning save them for getting out of a situation. Memorize the health pack spawns and get on top of one when things get hairy.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Dash hopping is a good strat, but that guy fundamentally doesn't understand that the different suits with differnet # of dashes travel differnet differences. When showing the difference on GM between dash hopping + bashing, vs dashing + bashing he cancels out of his dash early with the bash at around the dash distance a three dasher would go which is why he came up so short, which makes me think he doesn't realize that aspect of the dash movement.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Unhappy Meal posted:

Going back to your original post Kwolok, you sure about that part? From going to the range and testing it seems that two boost is the shortest single boost range for no good reason.

So single boost goes slightly farther than 100m per boost, two boost goes slightly less than 100m per boost, and three boost goes 100m per boost.

Testing again I actually think maybe all boosts are the same? I dunno now I feel confused. They definitely feel the same all of a sudden, I wonder if this was patched?

But yes, I currently think, single dash is the longest by a slight slight amount. Then triple dashes are middle, and you seem to be right, two dashes are the shortest. This is so strange.

You can still see in the video he posted that he ended the dash early, because he had dash bar left over when he initiated the shield bash. So he is still slightly exaggerating the effect (though yes dash jumping will get you arguably further)

Fun fact though, dash jumping is really truly BARELY faster. In the video he says "Look at the end of dash jumping I can go almost 500Meters!" But if you time your dashes such that you dash and then just continue walking forward for about as long as you would be in the air if you jumped, and then dash again, you arrive at almost exactly 500 meters. So if dash jumping is faster, and carries more velocity is honestly debatable. I do agree it makes you a harder to hit target.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 2, 2022

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

is barbatos a special case of dashes being a nonstandard dash distance or is it possible that two other suits with 3 dashes could have different dash distances between them?

I tested a number of suits of the same dash type, and I think the dashes are consistent across suits of the same dash number.

Here is a video I put together showing that dash-jumping is more or less ineffective for covering more distance. Even if it does let you cover more distance, it is really really tiny, almost neglible:

https://streamable.com/o5ykyl

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So who do you all think is overpowered and who is underpowered?

My two cents after playing a lot:

Overpowered:
- Pale Rider is just a little too good at everything. He can dish out damage, heal and his ult is super good and charges a bit too fast.
- GM sniper, being able to one shot delete full health characters from a game with a HITSCAN gun is stupid and doesn't belong in this game. People say "Give him a charge up". Disagree. Make his weapon fire faster and deal less damage. Make his DPS the same but eliminate one shot kills.
- Unicorn is just good in every team comp. I think the only small tweak he needs is to reduce his armor boost just slightly then he would be in a better spot.
- Assimar is also a little too good at being an all arounder while being incredibly hard to lock down. Giving the most mobile suit in the game a hitscan beam rifle may have been a bad idea. That being said I love playing him so it would be sad to see him get nerfed even if its necessary.
- Zaku melee needs his ult pulled back. Everything else feels fine but that ult just lasts too long.

Underpowered:
- Mahiroo. I love my boy but he is too map dependent and team dependent. And even when those align he still is a bit weak. Yes he has crazy DPS but its almost impossible to maximize that even playing perfectly. His stun locks him in place and is already difficult to land due to the delay. His ult feels pretty lack luster, dealing a lot of damage but over such a huge area that it just feels like a much much weaker grandaddy ult. Kick owns though.
- Turn A just needs his grapple slightly tweaked.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Zomborgon posted:

You have to see someone normally, at which point the ping appears (for you and your team) and persists for the remaining effect duration.

If someone is on the other side of a wall the whole time, it will never ping them.

Are you sure? The description of the scan is literally:

"Detects enemies through any obstacle for a short time, revealing their position."

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm generally not bothered by melee zaku's ultimate because the robot seems to kinda suck outside of that, much like the guntank

Claiming gun tanks sucks kinda just proves you have no idea who is cool and good

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Melee zaku is too strong. But he is also the only robot where the incompetency of your team actively punishes everyone as a multiplier. If people just wouldn't shoot him in statue mode he is not nearly as good.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

i don't understand the relation between a mechanic giving the player unintuitive control over their reload timing and a mechanic where bullets hit the same spot every time

Because they are both unintuitive. In the real world there is no such thing as an "exact recoil pattern". So players who get good at abusing the exact and archaic reload cancelling timings are the same players who get good at memorizing the exact recoil pattern to a gun. Its a skill ceiling thing I guess but its unintuitive and more about memorization than actual ability and it all sucks rear end.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
This games meta is shaping up to be Exia, Melee Zaku, barbados, pale rider, unicorn and its so drat boring. Melee units were a mistake.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
The counter to melee is literally melee and its dumb.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Melee has made me stop playing. Honestly its cool in terms of gundam but an absolute mess in terms of balance. The game can't survive.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
The netcode is really really bad in this game and I am pretty sure it favors high latency players.

But also the problem with this game is unstoppable combo deaths.

If the barb hits you with either the slam or charge attack, unless you are sazabi, you are dead, and there is literally no counter play other than the "not getting hit in the firsts place". Snipers one shot kills obviously. If marusai lands a hook on you, you are also just completely dead unless sazabi. Some ults can be liek this, like zaku range or assimar but those feel earned at least even if still frustrating. Exia also can kinda just land one charge stun and likely outright kill smaller suits.

Knowing you are going to die because another suit did exactly one thing is really really unfun to play against.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It's mostly because despite the bungles of ow2's launch, and it's terrible monetization system, it's actually super fun to play and is doing incredibly well in spite of the negativity surrounding it.

It's hard to beat it's polish in the hero shooter category and terminally online people saying how it's doomed to fail couldn't be more off base.

There exists a niche for gundam, an audience of hero shooters who only want to be dps but they completely missed the mark by launching in a horrible state of balance, with so many mechs that are terribly unfun to face, and somehow an even worse monetization system.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I suspect they don't give much of a poo poo about PC performance anyway. We were just really extended beta testers for console release. If steam chart numbers are anything to go by this game's pc audience will be unsustainable in about four months for all but the sweatiest diehards.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Boxman posted:

I like the moment to moment gameplay of GunEvo so much more, but knowing I'll functionally never unlock all the suits is a huge turn off. I'm playing a lot more OW2 at the moment.

The map aesthetics are also extremely bland. The designs feel fine - I like how labyrinthine everything feels but how you can get to objectives very easily - but they all sort of collapse into an undifferentiated mass when I think about them.

At first I thought I liked the whole "everyone can sprint mechanic" but that and everyone having dashes means a lot of the engagements feel very samey. Like yes there are differences and you do have to approach different fights a bit differently but its so so so much more the same than how you approach fights in varied team comps compared to OW2. Ultimately the meta in an all DPS game is "who can dps the best" and I find that boring. The moment to moment gameplay would be ok if the netcode were better and I wasn't dying behind walls all the time or if I weren't being killed by a barbatos who on my screen I absolutely 100% managed to dodge in time but then got vacummed back into his charge attack.

And yeah the maps are really bad. The whole game looks very dated IMO but the maps especially.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Runa posted:

That aside G-Evo's core gameplay hits me just right in a way that overwatch never did over the course of years.

A lot of deaths felt unfair in OW1 to the point where it's expected with certain matchups because hard counterpicking was core to the original design. Here, an unfair death stands out because deaths usually aren't.

The former was a lot more frustrating for me in the long run.

Honestly if this is your complaint with ow1, I am completely baffled as to how you think G-Evo is better. In OW there are a number of you "die" buttons buit they are almost all ultimates (save roadhog hook). But in G-EVO its not just the ults that are the death buttons. Barbaods, exia, marusai combos are all unfair deaths where they only need to land a single low cooldown ability on you to outright kill you. Or the one shot hitscan sniper rifle, that makes even Widow look balanced...

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

overwatch also has snipers, and kill combos (gently caress mcree). i'm ultimately disappointed in gundam evolution for their inclusion but overwatch certainly gets no points there.

unlike overwatch though gundam evolution's core mechanics are fun and engaging. i kinda wish there was a duel mode, the mobility and TTK really make the deathmatching part of gameplay both cerebral and intense.

They literally changed mcree, they realized that a stun attack that leads to a guaranteed kill is super unfun to play against. He now has a magnetic grenade. You can still combo it pretty well to kill Squishies but you have to actually aim because there is no more stun.

Old McCree was literally what Barbados is now lol

And yeah overwatch has a sniper like gm sniper only she has a charge up mechanic and can only delete half the roster but is heavily countered by tons of things outside of just getting in her face, which is currently the only counter to gm sniper in g Evo.

Look if you like G Evo, that's great! But functionally it's balance and design is truly awful. Doesn't mean you can't still enjoy it though! I also had fun playing with cool robots!

They also need to give assimar a cooler ult that isn't just the same as zaku range.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 21, 2022

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Good Lord what an amazing blunder of a "balance patch" this is. Honestly in awe of a company to somehow gently caress up more than blizzard.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

dogstile posted:

New Cree is actually worse. You don't even aim for headshots now, you walk up to someone, bodyshot them and stick them.

The mag grenade has auto aim. It does 131 damage. If you want to absolutely 200-0 someone you have to punch them too, but in teamfights they'd have probably taken chip somewhere.

I never minded barb aside from watching my team get murdered by him, but i felt the same about snipers.

No way is he. One he cannot interrupt or disrupt powerful ults anymore, and two his mag grenade is only barely magnetic. If you are a foot or so off the target it won't connect. And while yes it is strong its range is practically melee distance, meaning its super easy to zone away from his grenade. His only means of mobility is a roll, and if he rolls into you he is now liekly out of position and one of the least mobile characters in the game for hte next six seconds.

He for sure can do damage if he gets in your face, but once he is in your face he is likely very immobile. Compared to barb who has THREE dashes, and a JUMP ability that comes off cooldown on a kill. Of course the other side of hte coin is that mcree has a very very strong mid range game as well, and really his mag grenade is for peel, its not meant to be rear end aggressive. They are different, and mcree is still strong but he is absolutely not an unstoppable wombo combo.

Not to mention, yes a body shot and punch will kill a lot of squishes, but you STILL have to aim. There is no lockdown, stun or anything, getting a mag greande doesn't limit the other player at all, and you will need to follow up even if you land a shot. Compared to barb who just slams you and hten no matter what, you are dead unless someone else kills him first.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

Barbatos is insanely stoppable if you:

1) Listen for the charge
2) Dash backwards

In tons of my games I dash back and get way far away only for the game to decide "actually you got hit" and it vacuums me back under his mace. Or if you are not a three dash suit, how do you out dash him?

Besides tons of characters in this game devolve down to "listen for the enemy, if you hear them reposition appropriately". But no other suit in the game punishes you for a single mistake quite like barb. (maybe marusai too, or exia). But what happens if barb makes a mistake in the positioning game? He probably just dashes and leaps away lol.

neosloth posted:

A bit bummed out about the marasai hook nerf but we’ll see how it plays out.

The most interesting part of the patch notes was that the average damage of high ranked mahiroos is second only to pale rider.

Marusai is still very strong. If you land a hook the other player is still dead. It being slightly harder to land is kinda whatever since his main use is to counter melee. He'll still be dominating.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 21, 2022

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Lol finished the beginner challenge. It just disappears from the challenge menu. I guess there is just absolutely no way for me to earn the rest of the suits via playing the game. What a terrible design decision.

ninjewtsu posted:

They aren't balancing exclusively around top skilled players and they say as much in the notes? They said that because of how robots perform at high skill levels there's some balance changes they're avoiding but that's mostly them trying to find an angle that won't effect high skill, not ignoring low rank skill.

It's nuts that barbatos is untouched but generally the changes are, like, fine? The only one I dislike is sniper getting a buff. It's disappointing that they aren't addressing barbatos and sniper but that's hardly a massive blunder or whatever.

blogpost posted:

Operating Mahiroo requires an understanding of the maps, and in the higher tiers of ranked play, the average damage of its Main Weapon, REN-DO Grenade, comes in second only to Pale Rider. Taking its current state into consideration, we will forego changes to its Main Weapon to avoid disrupting the balance.

They aren't buffing mahiroos milquetoast primary weapon because people who have rainman level memorization of map geometry have figured out weird angles to I guess bombard players with unexpected grenades. If that ain't only balancing for high level I don't know what is.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 21, 2022

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Vizuyos posted:

Try shooting him? Barb can't hit you if you're dashing away, but you can still hit the Barb when it's dashing away.

I can see how bad lag might make it incredibly frustrating to play against a character built around stuns and two-hit-kills that barely need to be aimed, though.

For sure I agree, but a good barb (I play a LOT of barb) doesn't stick around. If I dash into you as barb, and you dodge my poo poo, I just 180 and I'm out, looking for the next shmuck. You will never be able to catch me unless you are like maursai, and whatever little bits of damage you do as I escape I just auto heal up or grab a medpak before my next engagement. I'm an ambush killer who doesn't need to use my entire mobility kit to ambush. If I dash in at you and miss, I am gone with a jump. If I jump in at you and miss I have three dashes to get away. Does it work 100% of the time? No. Am I in super high skill lobbies, no I am pretty poo poo so probably mid tier, but it does work ~80%of the time. One player who is good at dodging is an annoyance, but it only slows me down for a second before I am ramming my mace ontop of another player for a confirmed low-effort kill.

Inherently a lot of the problem with why melee units are so darn oppresisve in this game is because mobility is absolutely undoubtably king in a game with so many health packs and an auto heal mechanic. Most games it will cost you something if you escape by the skin of your teeth. But as a barb I am fine, I know where all the medpacks are and even the small ones heal me back to full, and even if I can't find that its ~10 seconds to auto heal to full anyway.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

haypliss posted:

I wanted a Barb nerf just to be petty tbh, it's an annoying suit that gets a fairly forgiving matchup if they're smart enough to do the usual 3-dash disengage stuff. Sniper being untouched and no mention of capital changes or backfilling leavers are the main things depressing my enthusiasm about all this.

Yeah honestly the balance changes to me are quite bad but the real issue is they didn't even talk about capital, or any way to earn suits in game outside of the two thorugh beginner challenges and battle pass. And yeah leavers and hackers are becoming ~30% of my games.

Those things are way way worse than bad balance.

ninjewtsu posted:

Barb getting to jump out for free is annoying but that is probably the least offensive part of his kit. Asshimar, methuss, ranged zaku, exia, and probably more get to do that too. Who cares.

I can't tell if you are intentionally benig obtuse or what. Yes other mechs also have decent get out of jail cards (though I'd argue only range zaku or exia are on the level of barb), but none of thsoe other mechanics (save kind of exia) have a combo that if they land it kills you with no counter play after the first hit.

The problem isn't that barb is very mobile and has escapes. Its that his kit resolves around trying to land one attack, and if successful, you die, and there is nothing else you can do about it after that one attack. And if he misses he can just leave. Its not fun to play against. If missing his charge put his jump on cooldown, that could be a good tradeoff, make his high reward attack, also high risk. It would still be unfun to play against (because unstoppable wombo combos aren't fun IMO) but it would at least feel more earned.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 21, 2022

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

haypliss posted:

Simply announcing changes or that they're working on them, even if the implementation is two months out, would be better than this though.

Its Bandai Namco, they simply don't know how to do any form of monetization that isn't insanely hosed up.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

They need to do something.

Perhaps the console playerbase can sustain this game but since there is no crossplay I have a hard time seeing a fun/engaging future for the PC population with the numbers dipping ever lower and lower, with an average daily high dipping below 4k and dropping more and more every week its hard to see a light for the pc crowd as it relates to this game.

But I think its expected, bad monetization, bad game design left what could have been a great game just kind of middling. But I suspect most people still backing this aren't doing so based on the games inherent design but instead because it just Isn't Overwatch(tm), and because of cool robots like guntank. I hope that is enough to maintain the games momentum but I don't think just not being overwatch will be enough to overcome all its short comings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Tell me the enemy team didn't have a grand daddy without telling me the enemy team didn't have a grand daddy