Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Saas tech sales guy from one of the major application platforms here. I joined this company about a year ago from a smaller data / kind-of saas company. Looking forward to this thread.

For the resume thing, I got some of the same feedback even though I was selling software on a subscription basis, but it was hard to get my foot in the door at one of the big players. It's just persistence and luck, and forming your story. For me, my experience was in integrations to major platforms (the software part of my previous role) and I played to the bigger picture of how my sales impacted customer value, company objectives, major initiatives etc, basically showing that I saw and sold to the bigger picture.

I will say since I have got my current company name on my resume, the world has seemed to open up. I get so many recruiters now from top tier companies. Just in the last week I have had Okta, Coupa, and Palantir reach out for 350k OTE roles...it's insane coming from where I started out. Now isn't the right time for me to move for a variety of reasons, and I am well liked and on a good trajectory here so I am going to see where the next year of so takes me, but it's a good feeling for sure.

Another surprisingly good resource is r/sales - there are some experienced and thoughtful people on there I have found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU