Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Once again Tennessee is fighting for that revered pedophile vote by trying to remove child marriage laws. If passed this means that pedophiles can marry their victims. gently caress this stupid state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

an odd choice for a tourism slogan

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It should not be run by pedophiles!

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I for one welcome our new pedo overlords

Hell, they have mod experience

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

LOL

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Any link?

Not that I don't doubt it for an instant, just curious who the hell is trying to push this.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

And no it's not me

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

mods?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Mega64 posted:

Any link?

Not that I don't doubt it for an instant, just curious who the hell is trying to push this.

https://www.newsweek.com/tennessee-bill-proposes-eliminating-marriage-age-requirements-1695209

https://newschannel9.com/news/local/completely-ridiculous-tennessee-bill-would-eliminate-age-requirements-for-marriages

https://www.salon.com/2022/04/05/tennessee-push-to-abolish-age-limit-on-heterosexual-marriages-amidst-groomer-outrage/

https://kfor.com/news/a-get-out-of-jail-free-card-gop-bill-would-eliminate-age-requirements-for-marriages-in-tennessee/

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

naem posted:

an odd choice for a tourism slogan

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The king of the hill episode where bobby asks why peggy is bringing plastic toilet seat covers during a road trip and she answers "Tennessee"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

quote:

So, all this bill does is give an alternative form of marriage for those pastors and other individuals who have a conscientious objection to the current pathway to marriage in our law

Apparently it's icky to do marriage the same way as the gays, but not the pedophiles

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

In all honesty I doubt it'll pass because they've done this before and gotten the same reaction

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mega64 posted:

Any link?

https://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/112/Bill/SB0562.pdf

Section 1 of the bill deletes §§ 36-3-103 – 36-3-112, the most relevant parts of existing law helpfully circled

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Amazing how blatant the bill's intent is. It's using a very thin "MUH RELIGION" cover to justify this poo poo. Which, hell, aren't many child marriages in the US justified with religion to begin with?

I'm doubtful it will pass since it's getting called the pedo bill, but kinda worried this is the precursor to some hosed up Florida-style legislation to hurt LGBTQ people considering how Jesus-crazy a lot of Tennessee is.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Mega64 posted:

Amazing how blatant the bill's intent is. It's using a very thin "MUH RELIGION" cover to justify this poo poo. Which, hell, aren't many child marriages in the US justified with religion to begin with?

I'm doubtful it will pass since it's getting called the pedo bill, but kinda worried this is the precursor to some hosed up Florida-style legislation to hurt LGBTQ people considering how Jesus-crazy a lot of Tennessee is.

Like I said, they've done it before and it probably won't pass because literally everyone calls it the crazy pedo bill but gently caress this state just wants to legalize child rape to spite the gays

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

tennessee is the ultimate wingman state, just doing everything it can to make the other states look better

what a bro

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Reminder that rightwingers don't think it counts as pedophilia so long as the adult man waits until his child bride has her first period before raping her because Jordan Peterson says that's how animals do it in the wild.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

whoa, that's kind of extreme

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Yaldabaoth posted:

Reminder that rightwingers don't think

fixed

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

What happens if this theoretically passes, and 35 year old Jethro takes 13 year old Betsy across state lines?

Hell in Wisconsin if your spouse is under 21 you can buy them alcohol. He could take her to the bars. Or Wild Wings or whatever. "Oh yes I'll take the mango habenero wings and a bud light. Betsy would like the childrens tenders combo and fries, and a manhattan sour. A double. No she don't got ID, she's 13. Can't even drive. Here's mine. Yes she can, she's mah wife!"

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

What happens if this theoretically passes, and 35 year old Jethro takes 13 year old Betsy across state lines?

Hell in Wisconsin if your spouse is under 21 you can buy them alcohol. He could take her to the bars. Or Wild Wings or whatever. "Oh yes I'll take the mango habenero wings and a bud light. Betsy would like the childrens tenders combo and fries, and a manhattan sour. A double. No she don't got ID, she's 13. Can't even drive. Here's mine. Yes she can, she's mah wife!"

Trick question. Most of the men marrying little girls will be good, God-fearing christians who will keep their child brides locked up in the house so they don't go around doing "sinful" things.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
NJ is the garden state.

Tennessee can be the kindergarten state (for older mates)

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
those who claim to be the closest to Jesus act the least like him

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I'm the magician doing misdirection, holding "acknowledging gay people exist is grooming" aloft in front of the audience while secretly slipping "it's cool to marry children" into my mark's pocket.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Also let's not forget they also got a place called Memphis, wherein one can supposedly be walking.

That's in ancient Egypt you idiot pedos!

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Luvcow posted:

those who claim to be the closest to Jesus act the least like him

These people want an old testament god with the "Chosen People" favoritism, Leviticus laws, and genociding of anyone different.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Bill 800 is also a more restrictive Don't Say Gay bill than Florida's

somehow

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Actually, this is a great way to distract from HB 800 now that I think of it

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Yaldabaoth posted:

These people want an old testament god with the "Chosen People" favoritism, Leviticus laws, and genociding of anyone different.

Only a couple of the Levitical laws. They still want bacon and shrimp. And that whole thing about mixed fabrics? Nah. In fact, the only one they really want is the one that lets them hate homos...

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
American Christianity is despicable in how far afoul it runs of Christ's message and it's like barely addressed.

Maybe it is because America was originally colonized by dipshit protestants with dumb hats that were so annoying that they managed to get kicked out of England for being too weird.

Like how do you even manage? When my family got kicked out of what was the UK, it was for cool stuff like killing British soldiers and skateboarding.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Genesplicer posted:

Only a couple of the Levitical laws. They still want bacon and shrimp. And that whole thing about mixed fabrics? Nah. In fact, the only one they really want is the one that lets them hate homos...

There's also a law about stoning your child to death if they're disrespectful to you, which would be a boomer's wet dream.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

kntfkr posted:

American Christianity is despicable in how far afoul it runs of Christ's message and it's like barely addressed.

Maybe it is because America was originally colonized by dipshit protestants with dumb hats that were so annoying that they managed to get kicked out of England for being too weird.

Like how do you even manage? When my family got kicked out of what was the UK, it was for cool stuff like killing British soldiers and skateboarding.

Yeah man, we get it "This sucks, That sucks, America sucks, Religion sucks, I'm pretty awesome why can't people just like, be like me more?". I know. We get it. We've seen your posts already.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yaldabaoth posted:

There's also a law about stoning your child to death if they're disrespectful to you, which would be a boomer's wet dream.

Actually they should allow this but make it open to anyone.
If your child annoys me in any capacity I should be able to do that.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Protestants were fleeing the masons but unfortunately the masons colonized California before they got here while the Pacific Ocean was kept a secret from the world for almost 100 years.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Virginia is for lovers
Tennessee is for diddlers

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Yaldabaoth posted:

Reminder that rightwingers don't think it counts as pedophilia so long as the adult man waits until his child bride has her first period before raping her because Jordan Peterson says that's how animals do it in the wild.

Then maybe Jordan Peterson needs to look up animal homosexuality and how common it is in nature. No, I'm not trying to justify pedophilia it's just that when rightwingers talk about 'the natural order' they usually know nothing about it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
what no way

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Valko posted:

Then maybe Jordan Peterson needs to look up animal homosexuality and how common it is in nature. No, I'm not trying to justify pedophilia it's just that when rightwingers talk about 'the natural order' they usually know nothing about it.

im gay, naturally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Valko posted:

That means fascism is an idealism to these people.