Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Always glad to watch you guys work your way through another Metroidvania (still hoping to see you tackle Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night one of these days). In fact, this thread ended up inspiring me to pick up the Castlevania Advance Collection myself, and I've spent most of the evening working my way through Circle of the Moon. Outside of some minor frustration with the controls (I wish that the Cancel and Confirm commands for navigating menus weren't locked to Attack and Jump, respectively; I would prefer Attack to be Confirm and Jump to be Cancel), it's been okay so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh drat, almost missed this one, great to see another metroidvania LP from y'all!

Excited to, as usual, watch Tea suffer for expecting Nat to suffer.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

After Hollow Knight, I don't know why would anyone expect Nat to suffer anything in a MetroidVania.
Except for the Space Jump, and even that was defeated together with Raven Beak.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Simply Simon posted:

non-LP-comments: Circle rules, I've played all modes back to back in the Collection because I couldn't get enough. Yeah it has obvious and massive flaws but it's such a short, focused, surprisingly challenging and varied game that I don't care. Also it has the best soundtrack on the collection imo!

My previous experience with Circle was when it first came out back on the original GBA so I was quite happy to find out that most of my issues were solved by backlighting and a note on card drops. Still some weirdness (power heavily depends on getting rare equipment drops from obscure enemies that spawned in old areas, and the game kinda expects that of you by the end) but workable weirdness instead of a muddy mess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I assume the 1999 assault on Dracula's Castle went something like Aliens with Alucard and Jimmy Belmont or whoever the voices of reason, some skeezy Church double-agent, and a bunch of hoo-rah American soldiers.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

AKA Nat 20 forgets how knees work while getting hit in the face for 10 minutes

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I used the Student Witch soul for most of my last run. It's fun.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The Student Witches are cute enough that I felt bad about killing them.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It just dawned on me that not only would Soma's life would be a hell of a lot easier, but they'd be able to deal with that shady guy Graham no problem, if either Arikado or Yoko just straight up went with him from the start.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

For shame, Nat, not recognizing Alucard through his paper thin alias. Soma at least has the excuse of not knowing poo poo about this supernatural poo poo till one hour ago.
Although Soma really should get his evildar fixed now that Hammer's shop is in business. Not pinging Graham on sight is a major failure; it's on par with Spira and Seymour Guado.

Hammer got sent here by the US army to recover as much materiel they left behind in 1999 as possible, didn't he? Although I don't know where opening a second hand shop figures into it; it's probably outside his mission's scope.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Whip Sword is a pretty good weapon and it was probably placed where it was because it's an ideal weapon to use against the Not-So-Great Armor. But the "two-handed" weapons like the Hammer, Broadsword, etc have their uses too. I wonder if Nat will reject the Claim Solais based upon its animation.

Omobono posted:

Hammer got sent here by the US army to recover as much materiel they left behind in 1999 as possible, didn't he? Although I don't know where opening a second hand shop figures into it; it's probably outside his mission's scope.
Hammer straight-up says he bailed on his mission in that dialog after the Just Kinda Okay Armor. I don't think we ever learn what his "mission" actually was, but he clearly wasn't informed about the potential for Eclipse Castle. I think he's supposed to be part of the JSDF though, considering the game takes place in Japan.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 12, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Big fan of the music in the Study here, one of my favorite Castlevania tracks ever. Too bad the area is so small.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Zombie Officer's soul :argh:

The translation in this game is not perfect, and that description is not at all what it says it is. What it means is you don't get knocked away when you get hit in the air.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Marluxia posted:

The translation in this game is not perfect
That's an incredibly kind way of putting it :laffo:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of translation, anyone has an idea what Soma is saying when casting some of the souls? The Tiny Devil warcry just sounds like "shiitake!" to me.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Marluxia posted:

The translation in this game is not perfect, and that description is not at all what it says it is. What it means is you don't get knocked away when you get hit in the air.

oh that clears up a lot

a little less useful in a game without bottomless pits, huh

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, Zombie Officer is not one of the more-used souls in Aria, I'm sure.

theshim posted:

That's an incredibly kind way of putting it :laffo:
TBF, the Zombie Officer is the only actually misleading soul description in the game IIRC. There's some questionable translation on a bunch of enemy names, but the plot itself is fairly solid too.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 14, 2022

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Speaking of translation, anyone has an idea what Soma is saying when casting some of the souls? The Tiny Devil warcry just sounds like "shiitake!" to me.

The Tiny Devil warcry, I'm fairly sure from hearing it, is "Kirisake!". Essentially, cut them up.

Mildly Interesting
Nov 24, 2012

Marluxia posted:

I don't know what the Flea Man's soul does in this game, but that ability sounds perfect for it. The Zombie Officer doesn't even jump! It's just a naked guy with a sword! It should have given you a bonus without armor, or something.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I like that every other NPC in this game so far walks slow, but J power struts away instead.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I was remembering something wrong. I was convinced J got stuck in the Castlevania back in 1999, surviving 36 years by sheer badass and the random food drops from breaking candles.

Apparently not. Don't ask me how, he was pretty clear "I have amnesia and a burning hatred of anything Dracula so I came here to Castlevania when it appeared again, hopefully I can fix the first while sating the second".

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

So, funny thing. When I played this, I never realized that you could get a free heal from Mina. So I ran around the zombie corridor with the Persephone soul to heal instead.

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

Unless they changed it in this release, there is one soul that can be missed in a playthrough. If you don't defeat all parts of Legion's shell before defeating it, then you don't get their soul.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Nat, Benjamins are $100 bills, which have Benjamin Franklin on them.

Gnoman posted:

So, funny thing. When I played this, I never realized that you could get a free heal from Mina. So I ran around the zombie corridor with the Persephone soul to heal instead.

I just always went to that first save point closest to the entrance. I forget how long it took me to realize the free heal but I had forgotten until I saw Nat do it.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Cats are truly the bane of all evil. Look how Imhotep's jaw literally dropped in the Mummy when he got an eyeful of a furry little puffball.

Though I'm surprised to see Tea say this game is the easiest of the GBA trilogy. Between both the areas which can be strangely empty and the sheer lack of enemy variety, Harmony of Dissonance is definitely a cakewalk. Even if you play it on Hard Mode while refusing to use magic, it's hilariously forgiving.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Shame about the Game Over there. This part of the game can get pretty punishing, it's true, and I think you made the right decision to swap to a weapon with some reach. You really don't want to be trading blows with these guys.

I didn't end up using Persephone too much in my playthrough, on account of how you have to be right up next to enemies to use it. It's got its moments, usually when you can punish enemies that commit to some drawn-out attack, but you're otherwise going to be losing more health than you suck in.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I can't believe Nat finally found the very first save point and nothing was said about it, both in the video and outside of it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Epicmissingno posted:

I can't believe Nat finally found the very first save point and nothing was said about it, both in the video and outside of it.

When he found it and didn't save I was so ready for that to bite him in the rear end :allears:

Also Quetzals are absolutely the worst enemies, yes

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Fun trivia: the Game Over screen is hanging on a wall in the Dance Hall. No, I don't know what it's supposed to be depicting.

Simply Simon posted:

When he found it and didn't save I was so ready for that to bite him in the rear end :allears:

And then didn't go back to re-discover it after reloading. That's our Nat!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I dunno, I always thought the bouncy skull & spine dinguses were pretty easy. They bounce a fixed distance so you just take a couple steps forward and use your knees. They'll bounce harmlessly overhead forever until you decide to put 'em out of their (your?) misery

theshim
May 1, 2012

I like the Inner Quarters. It's got martial artist maids and my second favorite music in the game. Can be pretty punishing, though.

Mildly Interesting
Nov 24, 2012
I like the martial artist maids but it is disappointing that they don't give you a martial artist soul. The vacuum is neat, but it would be neater if Soma could spin-kick his way through Castlevania.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

In case you don't catch it, "Cutall" is almost certainly a mistranslation of katar. That's why it's such a short-range weapon, it's a punching dagger.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nat's refusal to go up above the main room in the Dance Hall was funny, especially a video or two ago when he was complaining about the warp room to the save point being blocked by the Quetzalcoatl room.

The Cutall is actually a pretty good weapon IMO, because each swing hits twice. If you're not afraid of getting up close and personal that property coupled with its relatively fast swing speed and/or animation canceling can have some really impressive DPS.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah, Dawn is the one where getting more copies of a given soul can sometimes power up that ability. There's also another mechanic in that game where you can spend souls to get items. They really lean into the soul-grinding aspect of the game, to its detriment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, Dawn is the one where getting more copies of a given soul can sometimes power up that ability. There's also another mechanic in that game where you can spend souls to get items. They really lean into the soul-grinding aspect of the game, to its detriment.

only because the drop rate is horrid and certain mechanics are bugged.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 19, 2022