Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I never paid much attention to the Wu-Tang Clan, but I always thought they were named after the real sect of Wudang monks, who have an often bloody and deadly rivalry with the Shaolin monks. There have been stories of lone monks just wandering the countryside minding their own business only for armed groups of martial artists to spring out of nowhere and literally try to kill them. Or how sometimes they'll meet up for a martial artist gang fight, and taxi drivers will pop out out of nowhere to throw out baseball bats and knives for funsies, and just watch the two groups go at it like they're watching a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rigged Death Trap posted:

only because the drop rate is horrid and certain mechanics are bugged.

Definitely agree about the first point, but I wasn't aware of the second point. What specifically went wrong there?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

C-Euro posted:

Definitely agree about the first point, but I wasn't aware of the second point. What specifically went wrong there?

Luck doesn't work. If you get 99 luck the rate increases by 0.03%
It's the same in Aria, where you need thousands of luck to affect the drop rate at all.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 19, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Luck doesn't work. If you get 99 luck the rate increases by 0.03%
It's the same in Aria, where you need thousands of luck to affect the drop rate at all.

Does the Soul Eater ring work?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah items work since they arent on the luck side of the formula. Theyre additive to the chances.
Sorry for this, its over now

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 20, 2022

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I've found most Aria of Sorrow players prefer the overhand-swinging weapons, but I'm actually with Nat in preferring the faster stabbing swords and knives. I hate the Whip Sword, though: give me that Baselard instead.

More importantly, you didn't need to jump to hit the Big Golem. Its legs are just as vulnerable.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The arm blocks attacks though, and it's usually positioned around the legs, so jumping can get you a better shot at it.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm surprised to hear that about the soul mechanics. drat, I can already imagine Dawn being so much loving better if things were different.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 20, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sorry for this, its over now

Oh God how did I not know about that :negative: That explains so much lol

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Headhunter says:
As the lady: onore ; translated usually as Curse you or you bastard. Lit. just a very rude way of saying "You".
The old man (in a dress) : Ikazuchi-yo ; Thunder, i think the -yo suffix is just a stereotypical old person thing. Honoo-ryuu : Fire Dragon. Pretty descriptive for what he does.

Curly!
Mistranslation of Kali, Hindu goddess of death.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Hrunting is a sword from Beowulf, though as far as I know it had nothing to do with poison in the myth. Regardless, it's definitely a good weapon, I always end up using it for a while. I'm pretty sure it ends up doing more damage against most enemies than the Estoc despite being a point weaker, thanks to being elemental?

Headhunter is arguably the first "real" boss of the game, since all the previous ones come back as normal enemies, like we saw with Creaking Skull. I never tried using the whip sword against it and clearly I should have, that range advantage really neutralised most of the threat (not that it's a particularly hard boss, but the lizardman thing in particular can be a lot more dangerous if you have to get in close).

Also re: Headhunter, as was previously mentioned, its ability is the one thing in the game that cares about having multiples of souls. (Not that it's worth grinding for.)

Bold of you to post an update in which Soma keeps getting stoned on 04/20.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd just like Tea to know I appreciated the Curse of Monkey Island reference.

e: Speaking of legendary swords, Gram, the famous sword known as "Gram", is another name for the blade Balmung, which I'm pretty sure is a separate weapon in this game. Most famously used by Sigurd to slay the dragon Fafnir.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 21, 2022

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I love the music in the Floating Gardens, my favorite in the game. Cool area, though everything petrifying you is kinda hilariously dickish.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I do love how castlevania (the series and location) is an international crossroads of several mythological and folkloric creatures and items, overlaid on a plot that has nothing to do with any of it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I hatehatehatehate this area of the game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Man, your luck is rotten. You didn't get a single random soul this episode, if I don't forget one? And the tiny devil one is really starting to fall off...

Also, your save policy is driving me nuts. Not saving immediately after beating a tough-ish boss with the save point right next to it is one thing, but going up then down an area that kinda beats you up, ending up right next to the boss (and thus save) room once again and not saving? please

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Simply Simon posted:

Also, your save policy is driving me nuts. Not saving immediately after beating a tough-ish boss with the save point right next to it is one thing, but going up then down an area that kinda beats you up, ending up right next to the boss (and thus save) room once again and not saving? please

I see someone wasn't here for Symphony of the Night.

He found save points, that's progress. Actually using them is the next step.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I was here for SotN it just still drives me nuts. Bonkers. Bananas!

EDIT: I'm a "save every three steps in Pokemon" kinda guy

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Watching Nat make incredibly risky choices for little reason that either succeed (to Tea's amazement,) or fail utterly (to Tea's amusement,) is one of the best parts of all his LPs, tbh

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Inner Quarters has some good souls if you ever feel like grinding.

Also Headhunter always reminded me of a character from (I think) that nightmare Return to Oz movie who was a robot lady with different heads that she could switch between? It's a vague memory.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I can't remember, did Nat see the bad ending to Symphony first before unlocking the Inverted Castle? The way he's going about it with this game, I have a feeling this playthrough is going to be a lot more like Hollow Knight in getting and seeing all there is to do.

Mildly Interesting
Nov 24, 2012
I love the Devil's attack animation. It's like an action figure with an extremely limited range of movement. And the Headhunter did more than the last couple of bosses, so that's progress! Good for it!

The Headhunter does attack in its first phase if you get close enough, right? Anything at all?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Mildly Interesting posted:

The Headhunter does attack in its first phase if you get close enough, right? Anything at all?

Uh, you take contact damage if you walk into her I guess? I don't think it ever makes actual attacks with the knife or anything, just walks back and forth; I'm pretty sure it's intended to be a gimme phase to lull you into complacency before the real fight starts.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The Headhunter does try to shank you if you get too close in the first form. I don't think Iga was counting on most people to still be using the whip sword this point in the game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shitenshi posted:

I can't remember, did Nat see the bad ending to Symphony first before unlocking the Inverted Castle? The way he's going about it with this game, I have a feeling this playthrough is going to be a lot more like Hollow Knight in getting and seeing all there is to do.
I'm pretty sure that Tea subtly guided Nat to the stuff he needed to do to get to the Inverted Castle in SOTN and they only ever got one ending there, which was defeating Dracula with less than 196% completion.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

C-Euro posted:

Also Headhunter always reminded me of a character from (I think) that nightmare Return to Oz movie who was a robot lady with different heads that she could switch between? It's a vague memory.

Mombi, although she isn’t a robot.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Gnoman posted:

I hatehatehatehate this area of the game.

...I hate the Clock Tower more.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

American bills are 100 (Benjamin), 50 (Grant), 20 (universally loathed genocidal racist Jackson), 10 (Hamilton), 5 (Lincoln) and 1 (Washington)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ulmont posted:

...I hate the Clock Tower more.

Clock Tower is much more straightforward, if a bit more brutal.

I'm also an episode ahead, which means I tend to conflate things a bit.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bruceski posted:

American bills are 100 (Benjamin), 50 (Grant), 20 (universally loathed genocidal racist Jackson), 10 (Hamilton), 5 (Lincoln) and 1 (Washington)

This is $2 (Jefferson) erasure, as well as dismissing the hallowed memory of past $500 (McKinley), $1000 (Cleveland), $5000 (Madison), $10,000 (Chase), and $100,000 (Wilson) (Wilsons never actually circulated but were used for Federal Reserve bank transactions).

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Did they really take out the option to skip cutscenes in this version? It definitely works in the OG GBA version. Of the three GBAvanias, Circle of the Moon is the only one that doesn't let you skip cutscenes, which can be annoying given that one can be ruthless at points.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

More like cock tower lmfao

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
There are two enemies in the Clock Tower that are worth grinding for their Soul drops IMO, but I'll let you figure out which ones they are :ninja:

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

C-Euro posted:

There are two enemies in the Clock Tower that are worth grinding for their Soul drops IMO, but I'll let you figure out which ones they are :ninja:

Honestly I'm shocked in general at what awful luck they're having with soul drops, and I'm tempted to encourage a bit of grinding even though that might mess with the pacing of the LP.

That said, I'm having a hard time remembering whether this is closer to the typical experience, because when I play this I'm generally in the habit of grinding a bit here and there as I go, especially for the souls I know are good.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I think that's actually pretty typical, and we're just in the habit of grinding a bit for souls, yeah.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think the game is tuned for a low-ish drop rate on souls to increase the difficulty in a way that can be easily solved by farming while still high enough you get new toys to play with every now and then. My only complaints would be over the Peeping Eye's soul drop rate and gently caress the tsuchinoko (it's a 100% completion enemy, nothing spoilery).

As opposed to Dawn of Sorrow where Yoko's Soul Forging Services is all "you want the Mjolnir, bring 50 Valkyrie's souls" (actual details may vary but you get the gist).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah the need in Dawn of Sorrow to grind multiple copies of some souls for both powering them up and having any weapons worth a drat really puts a damper on the whole game. It might be better than Aria if the Soul economy wasn't so brutal.

Explopyro posted:

Honestly I'm shocked in general at what awful luck they're having with soul drops, and I'm tempted to encourage a bit of grinding even though that might mess with the pacing of the LP.

That said, I'm having a hard time remembering whether this is closer to the typical experience, because when I play this I'm generally in the habit of grinding a bit here and there as I go, especially for the souls I know are good.

IMO Nat is underleveled for this part of the game, but maybe that's about to be solved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

IMO Nat is underleveled for this part of the game, but maybe that's about to be solved!

I tend to agree - I started a replay after inspiration from the thread and ended up a few levels ahead of Nat by where the video series ends.