Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, I'd love to get a DS Castlevania collection on PS4 or the like, but I'm not sure how they'd handle the dumb touchscreen controls.
I'd actually imagine it's Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia that are holding up a release of a hypothetical DS collection over Dawn of Sorrow. The touchscreen element of Dawn is one mechanic that can be (and has been) fairly easily patched out, whereas both Portrait and Order have entire game modes heavily dependent on the touchscreen iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
I think part of the problem is that Nat tried out the backdash while using the fast weapons, and found it didn't add much. With the slower weapons, being able to near instantly get a bit of range is really strong. It doesn't launch you from the area, but if you stay at the edge of your range it's usually more than enough.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Aria of Sorrow - Episode 16 - Chronomage

Art will be up shortly owing to a screwup of mine!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I love the rubber ducky! Lilith and Succubus just chilling in the tub until Soma runs in and ruins everything.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The game being cute with the ancient books is one of the few problems I have with it. It must be taking Tea all his willpower to not break the blind rule and straight up tell Nat which souls to farm.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 12, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I was going to say to look in the Bestiary, but Tea was kind enough to mention it. I will admit however that I had to look up what exactly you're supposed to do with the books, I assume it's one of those things that would be more obvious with a better translation.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 13, 2022

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm glad Nat is still enjoying the game, but I'm starting to think Tea should exert more executive control over where he goes from here on out. I'd love to see his reaction to the really good stuff in the game, be that the upcoming plot dungeon or just the optional content.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
All the stuff on the top left could have been gotten as soon as you were there - because, and that's no longer a spoiler now that you can just fly instead, you can stand on the back of Catoblepas' (and their recolors). Then you can adjust the bone pillar's height by killing only half or so, and stand on them.

As Tea has pointed out, you can also use the boat you push to get higher, which by the way is insanely fiddly and I just couldn't get it to work for the life of me in my last playthrough. I think I must have done something wrong, but I just kept slipping off!

the uh! uh! in Tea's voice when Nat actually used the Chronomage soul in one of the sky fish rooms...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like how Nat made the Jojo's reference on the Chronomage, when the time stop is a power that has been in the series literally since the first game. Then when he gets the Cagnazzo soul, which is literally a goddamn Jojo's reference - complete with "ORA ORA ORA!" - he doesn't try it out. Comedic timing is truly a subtle mastery.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Alucard (through Mina) told Soma how to get through the waterfall some (four or five I think?) updates ago but Nat didn't understand it at the time.

Speaking of aliases, what has Julius been doing between 1999 and the current time? Ok, he had amnesia but it's been 36 years, I find strange that Alucard and the other Belmonts never tracked him down afterwards.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Omobono posted:

Alucard (through Mina) told Soma how to get through the waterfall some (four or five I think?) updates ago but Nat didn't understand it at the time.

The room also has a few glyphs on the wall indicating it, but you probably wouldn't notice or understand what it's telling you until you already know.

All I know is if Nat ever plays Dawn of Sorrow I hope he remembers the cat soul and uses it at the right moment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Simply Simon posted:

As Tea has pointed out, you can also use the boat you push to get higher, which by the way is insanely fiddly and I just couldn't get it to work for the life of me in my last playthrough. I think I must have done something wrong, but I just kept slipping off!

Nothing wrong, it's just incredibly fiddly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

To be fair, it did so in extremely mangled translation.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah I don't recall ever being able to make it work. Just come back with the Giant Bat.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Dracula can't beat us now, we have the power of GUN.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The gun is worse than the attack stat suggests, because it also halves damage. I don't think it is meant as a joke weapon, but rather that the designers were afraid of the range negating everything else.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Guns don't work on supernatural monsters, duh

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Since I doubt it's going to come up in the LP: there are a few other guns in the game that are more viable damage-wise, but they're awkward to actually use and not available to a normal playthrough. There's the Silver Gun, a Hard Mode exclusive that's a stronger clone of this one. And the ludicrously strong Positron Rifle, which gets added to your file if you beat Boss Rush mode with a good enough time (which is, of course, only possible after completing the game). I think it's only really practical to use firearms in NG+ unfortunately.

Edit: oh, forgot to mention. I'm not sure if it came up in the thread before, but the "exchange student" thing was a localisation change. In the Japanese script, Soma is Japanese (Kurusu Souma), which makes the logistics of his childhood friendship with Mina a lot simpler. Although it makes his katana technique even harder to explain...

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 15, 2022

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GunnerJ posted:

Guns don't work on supernatural monsters, duh

Werewolves and silver bullets tho

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Werewolves and silver bullets tho

Guns don't kill werewolves, bullets kill werewolves.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

"Satan's Ring" is another mistranslation, sadly. The Japanese text is something like "Dark Lord's Ring"; it's not hard to see how the localisers ended up on Satan from that, but "Dark Lord" in Castlevania always means Dracula. It's Dracula's ring, the same one that gets used as a McGuffin whenever one of these games decides we need to collect a bunch of relics of Dracula (e.g. in SotN, I know it was also in Castlevania II, maybe a few others? I don't know the whole series).

So, on the one hand, it's a neat continuity nod to be finding this again even if it's only a mediocre piece of equipment this time around, and it's a shame to lose that. On the other hand, Satan's Ring is significantly more hardcore. I'm not sure which version I like better.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gungnir is another weapon where the listed attack power is deceptive, because it hits 3 times per attack.

Those Final Guards are pretty tedious to kill, avoiding them is IMO the correct strategy. Now imagine grinding them for 100% souls... :shepicide:

Killer Mantle works best on the Golem and Minotaur types of enemies; it's very useful for soul grinding on them. Don't use it on a Succubus/Lilith or a Stolas.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Gungnir has a lower ATK because it hits twice, at least if you get close enough :eng101: All lightning-based attacks have this trait, which is why the Lightning Doll soul is so strong

E: Hammering on elemental weaknesses is a good way to power through the tougher encounters in the late game, I think it's why Aria throws so many elemental weapons at you in the back half. It's why a certain yet-to-be-found weapon trivializes so much, because it combines a strong element with great range and base damage.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 17, 2022

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I know Nat won't be finding the Claimh Solais anytime soon simply because of the rules of a blind playthrough and finding it on it's own can be kind of a hassle, but I was kind of hoping one of the Final Guards would drop the Final Sword. It's a weapon type he hates, but it's hella strong and has good range! What fun that would be.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I like how you ended that fight with a weapon they were very strong against. Powerful unintentional flex.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Kurt Angle VS The Forces of Evil is the Shaq-Fu we need for the new era.

Shei-kun posted:

I like how you ended that fight with a weapon they were very strong against. Powerful unintentional flex.

Graham is non-element. Death's Sickle does more damage to him than a certain holy weapon.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
There's the fight where overhead weapons shine. You can basically stay crouched and just slide back and forth to avoid the laser, all while hitting the boss with the overhead swing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The End.
No moral.

I do like the way the throne room looks though, and Graham's second form is a good hosed up monster design.

Schwartzcough posted:

There's the fight where overhead weapons shine. You can basically stay crouched and just slide back and forth to avoid the laser, all while hitting the boss with the overhead swing.

Same with the first phase, as you don't have to aim at the small hit box that is his head.

Aaaagh Nat you doofus the Books are color-coded for the type of Soul each one is describing, pick up on basic visual cues my dude.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

C-Euro posted:

The End.
No moral.

I do like the way the throne room looks though, and Graham's second form is a good hosed up monster design.

Same with the first phase, as you don't have to aim at the small hit box that is his head.

Aaaagh Nat you doofus the Books are color-coded for the type of Soul each one is describing, pick up on basic visual cues my dude.
Nat never even sees the color of Souls he picks up

I've alluded to the missing ability (grey!) Soul before - it's a random drop from a singular midgame enemy. Yes, that's stupid.

Anyway, congrats on beating? the game!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So everyone and their dog has been waiting for a castlevania set in the Demon Castle war of 1999

So fans stepped up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19bYGamq3Dk

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

"Professional wrestler fighting the forces of evil..." - you two should look at Guacamelee! (or Guacamelee! 2). Technically you play a luchador rather than an American-style professional wrestler, but suplexing and other grappling moves are still part of your repertoire.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I do appreciate how Graham clearly has no clue what he's doing.
Phase 1 is standard Dracula fare, you can't really gently caress it up; but then phase 1.5 is the world's saddest danmaku pattern and phase 2 is defeated by the ancient arcane knowledge of ducking :honk:

(Yes I know the emote is a goose close enough)

E: seconding Guacamelee, it's a fun little 'vania playing as, uh, would it be fair to say Juanito is luchador The Crow?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 19, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Simply Simon posted:

Nat never even sees the color of Souls he picks up

I fell out of my chair when Nat said "well I got the Souls for the Books but it didn't seem to do anything. I don't really understand the point of all that". Wish I could harvest that confidence and sell it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

god, i was so loving worried at the end there that there would just be an absolute refusal to look into anything further and just call it quits despite like almost deliberately misinterpreting practically everything to do with the ancient books and neglecting to give it any thought beyond all of 3 initial seconds for each one then never challenging that interpretation

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

god, i was so loving worried at the end there that there would just be an absolute refusal to look into anything further and just call it quits despite like almost deliberately misinterpreting practically everything to do with the ancient books and neglecting to give it any thought beyond all of 3 initial seconds for each one then never challenging that interpretation

"I'm Nat20 and joining me today is an angry mob just outside my door. Say hello Mob."

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Bruceski posted:

"I'm Nat20 and joining me today is an angry mob just outside my door. Say hello Mob."

"Hello, hello, ladies and gentlemen, I am Natural 20, and this is an angry mob. Joining them today is Yorkshire Tea."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

pointlessone posted:

"Hello, hello, ladies and gentlemen, I am Natural 20, and this is an angry mob. Joining them today is Yorkshire Tea."
okay this got a real good chuckle out of me, well done