Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

By the way, the odd tiling in the background of the run up to the tower isn't a bug, at least as far as I can tell. I don't have a cartridge of this game to test on my GBA SP, but that shows up on both my copy of the Advance Collection and a completely unrelated rom + emulator setup.

This one is from my copy of the Advance Collection.

This was taken from mGBA with an Aria of Sorrow rom running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the game obviously wasn't made with non-tiny screens in mind.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Let’s also not forget the original GBA screens were notoriously awful and dark, so something like that could very well have been imperceptible on original hardware.

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

I checked on my GBA SP and the odd tiling is there, but I had to be very close and in good light to notice because it was all so dark on the screen. It does genuinely look like a shadow cast on the wall, though.

Whammiewazzle fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 20, 2022

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I'm not even sure the odd tiling that's supposed to be seen there.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Epsiode 20 - Forbidden Area

Apologies everyone. Delays and art missing are due to my massive drinking problem.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

pointlessone posted:

"Hello, hello, ladies and gentlemen, I am Natural 20, and this is an angry mob. Joining them today is Yorkshire Tea."

:haw:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there was the question about graham's powers, and i...don't think the game ever really explains what his deal is? he's just kinda generic and 'fit to inherit dracula's powers' or whatever but nothing else is really said or shown that implies anything along what soma does. in dawn of sorrow it gives the other candidates something that's more distinctly their thing to work with that isn't what soma does but i don't think they had thought that far ahead for aria with graham.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

"Tallhammer" is another weird translation, it's supposed to be Mjolnir (I think they wrote 'Thor hammer' and then had an L/R transposition thing happen).

Claiomh Solais is completely busted, for most of the reasons you've outlined, but also because it has Holy element on it so it hits weakness damage on nearly everything. They piled so much onto this weapon that you barely even notice it being an overhead swing (and in this case it's even a benefit, the area it covers is ludicrous).

Tea, thank you for not being subtle, I suspect Nat's had quite enough frustration in this LP already.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Did some digging around, and Claimh Solais is Irish, so in typical fucky linguistic fashion, it's not all pronounced like it looks. Apparently it's said like "kleevuh suhleesh", the same way Cait Sith's name in FFVII is said like "ket shee."

Johnny Joestar posted:

there was the question about graham's powers, and i...don't think the game ever really explains what his deal is? he's just kinda generic and 'fit to inherit dracula's powers' or whatever but nothing else is really said or shown that implies anything along what soma does. in dawn of sorrow it gives the other candidates something that's more distinctly their thing to work with that isn't what soma does but i don't think they had thought that far ahead for aria with graham.

I think their deal is the same as Graham's. Being born on the day of Dracula's final death made them very distant heirs, the equivalent of distant cousins of the king's sister, whereas Soma is the prince, and therefore the next in line. The only difference is that their powers are like gimmicky sentai villains, where it's never specified what Graham's particular power is.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 22, 2022

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Explopyro posted:

Claiomh Solais is completely busted, for most of the reasons you've outlined, but also because it has Holy element on it so it hits weakness damage on nearly everything.

The exception, of course, is Julius and we’ll see him real soon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
:sickos: I was worried that you wouldn't think to look over there, the Claimh Solias whips rear end. I think every area in the game has at least one secret room (Floating Gardens might not?) but this one is by far the most important.

Also the Joyeuse isn't a great weapon but it does have one thing going for it - it sells for a ton of money. If you want the Soul Eater Ring on a new playthrough it goes a long way towards making that happen.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Calling someone a Muppet will never not be funny to me.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Congrats to Nat for not immediately unequipping the Claim Solais the second he saw an overhead swing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

honestly kind of amazed they made the claimh solais as good as it is. it'd be pretty busted even if it didn't have the holy element attached. it's not like it was even hidden all that well in the forbidden zone!

well i guess there's the waterfall puzzle protecting it, but drat. you can get there the moment you have undine + scylla and can reach any of the 3 monsters that give the soul you need.

Shitenshi posted:

I think their deal is the same as Graham's. Being born on the day of Dracula's final death made them very distant heirs, the equivalent of distant cousins of the king's sister, whereas Soma is the prince, and therefore the next in line. The only difference is that their powers are like gimmicky sentai villains, where it's never specified what Graham's particular power is.

yeah that's the funny thing. the other candidates in dawn of sorrow each have specific powersets they kind of draw from and you can very easy tell that they've got something going on. meanwhile all you ever see graham do is uh. stab yoko? i guess? and then he just runs to the throne room and grabs the evil energy to turn into Weird Woman Amalgamation which as we all know is very dracula-core.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Graham's final form, with the person bound in the middle of the monster like that. I feel like I've seen it somewhere before. Was it just Adel from FF8?

Anyway, insert joke of "Graham was actually the heir of [boss] and if he'd realized that everything would've gone very differently."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Graham's final form, with the person bound in the middle of the monster like that. I feel like I've seen it somewhere before.
It could be a callback to the final battle of SotN where you don't fight Dracula as much as his chair.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I thought Nat would get creamed by Julius for sure, but leave it to the guy who likes the Student Witch soul at this stage in the game and cheesed Balore with Medusa Head to win this fight from a distance spamming Death scythes.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 24, 2022

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I think the significance of the three souls is just that they're the most "Dracula-like", I guess? Dracula has had a three-fireball attack since the very first Castlevania, I think (and Graham has it too), the Giant Bat is pretty self-explanatory in how very Dracula it is, and the Succubus represents him stealing life from other people through vampire bites.

Basically you cosplayed as Dracula so well that his spirit realized you were the perfect vessel. :v:

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 24, 2022

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I never put 2 and 2 together that the Claim Solais was a holy weapon and Julius would resist holy, and I never came up with a cheese strat like the scythes, so I just slugged it out with him in melee with the stupid holy sword. This fight took me so many tries...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

I thought Nat would get creamed by Julius for sure, but leave it to the guy who likes the Student Witch soul at this stage in the game and cheesed Balore with Medusa Head to win this fight from a distance spamming Death scythes.

Dawn of Sorrow spoilers I like the student witch soul so much that I refuse to use anything else against Dimitri

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

One fun little thing is that, with the 3 "correct" souls equipped, you can actually use the Flame Demon ability to shoot fireballs while in bat form (but only with all three, it doesn't work if you swap out Succubus). Also, you can use the Bat soul as a bat.

Most people struggle more than this with Julius at first (but, admittedly, I never thought of using Death, it's kind of shocking how well that countered him). He's fast, he hits hard, and his whip outranges most of Soma's melee weapons, so I think the usual strategy is to time your hits to punish him during the recovery animation after he swings. And yes, Julius resists holy, so this is the one fight where Claimh Solais is a bad idea; Kaladbolg is generally considered the best weapon to use against him.

Still, this is one of the highlights of this game, both story and gameplay-wise. It's Dracula vs Belmont, but you're playing it in reverse! (Also, Julius has an awesome battle theme.)

I also like how, if you read between the lines, this game's story is Alucard trying an outlandish plan to give his father a second chance, and actually succeeding.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Explopyro posted:

Julius resists holy, so this is the one fight where Claimh Solais is a bad idea; Kaladbolg is generally considered the best weapon to use against him.

I like Balmung for its obscene range in this fight.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
drat, I wanted to make a joke about how you haven't finished the game yet because you haven't found the Deed to Dracula's castle, but I can't find that old thread anymore. :gonk:

YT recommended me a video about behind the scenes stuff from the game. And one of the enemies in the castle is a joke directed at the main programmer, Iida: The Waiter Skeleton, since he was so skinny and loved eating curry

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

So, on the video when Nat came up with the amazing thread title, I first misheard "Soma Cruz's Drac Race" as "Soma Cruz is Dracula".

Anyways I love how the post fight scene perfectly flows from how Nat fought Julius:
"How did you know I wasn't really trying?"
"Two reasons: one I'm not dead, two come on you let yourself get kited to death by Death's scythes"

Omobono fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 24, 2022

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah julius just uses the flashiest item crush to scare you.

Entirely headcanon wise, since they say the belmonts get stronger each generation, its just the piled up knowledge of how to hunt monsters.

Julius going at it seriously is like being attacked by TAS Richter

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This fight rules, and you can hear clips of OG Castlevania music sprinkled into the music.

Also the final ability/Gray Soul was in this episode - it's Kicker Skeleton.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 22 - Chaos

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I had no idea the Gladiator soul could be so useful. I always thought Valkyrie gave pretty good bang for it's buck, being obscenely strong, holy elemental, having a cheap MP cost, and you get it relatively early, but that one really surprised me.

Starting to wonder what Nat would think tackling Hard Mode. I don't think it's that big of a step up compared to other Castlevania's though.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 26, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I seriously just realized, Soma's girlfriend is Mina Harkuba. In Bran Stoker's novel, the main female protagonist (and Dracula victim) is Mina Harker.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Congrats on beating Aria of Sorrow! It's a great game and I'm glad you enjoyed.

There's a fun easter egg if you die in the final battle against Chaos, worth checking out.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I'm glad you enjoyed the game in the end; I definitely wasn't sure you'd come away feeling positive, after all that misery.

The Chaos fight is very, well, chaotic; it's just that for better or worse the game gives you enough tools to just brute force it. It can be pretty difficult if you don't have the stockpile of potions. One detail you wouldn't have noticed: in the first phase, you lose all of your souls and only get them back by destroying the orb of the corresponding colour (e.g. when you break the red orb, you get back your red souls).

I'm a bit disappointed you didn't get to see a hilarious exchange in the ending. I don't think I knew there were multiple versions of that final cutscene, maybe it cares about map completion or soul completion or something? Anyway, I looked up the lines because I don't want you to miss out on them.

Aria of Sorrow best ending posted:

Mina: I'm so glad your experience didn't change you.
Soma: But it DID change me!
Mina: In what way?
Soma: I'm a lot cooler now!
Mina: Yeah, you HAVE changed. The old Soma would never have said that!

Oh, these two. :allears:

Bruceski posted:

I seriously just realized, Soma's girlfriend is Mina Harkuba. In Bran Stoker's novel, the main female protagonist (and Dracula victim) is Mina Harker.

There is also at least one Dracula adaptation in which they made Mina the reincarnation of Dracula's wife (which she isn't in the novel), which raises some interesting questions here. It's a common fan theory that Mina is Lisa but as far as I know the creators have never commented on it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

definitely would rec the ds castlevania games in general, people like to argue about which one they think is best of the 3 but they all have some neat stuff to enjoy

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't think you have to destroy the eyes in Chaos pt 2, doing so just makes the center enemy take more damage.

Anyway, I'm glad you ended up liking this! Definitely go back and die to Chaos when you get a chance, and try Julius Mode as well.

E: and if you play through the main game again, definitely grind for the Lightning Doll soul. Trust.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 26, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I was kind of disappointed you didn't manage to die to Chaos. That leads to the Bad Ending.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I do hope they find a way to have Nat LP Portrait of Ruin, if for no other reason than "Jonathan!" "Charlotte!" "Jonathan!" "Charlotte!" "Jonathan!" "Charlotte!" "Jonathan!" "Charlotte!" "Jonathan!" "Charlotte!"

Also to see if he plays them both equally or just plays one of them for the entire game like I did until the game makes you swap them out.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I do wonder how much how this was planned; that is, when exactly did Alucard realize Soma is Dracula's reincarnation?
Because the latest Belnades being really good friend, basically the cool big sister, to Drac reincarnation's girlfriend is a bit of a coincidence. Also Yoko's "you're you" talk was kind too precisely targeted at Soma's set of identity problems.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Omobono posted:

I do wonder how much how this was planned; that is, when exactly did Alucard realize Soma is Dracula's reincarnation?

I imagine everyone but Soma and Mina knew about the prophecy around Dracula's rebirth. Alucard knew it wouldn't be Julius or Yoko, so that just leaves Soma and Graham. He probably didn't assume anything about Soma until he absorbed that soul in the opening cutscene. Graham is an rear end in a top hat who wants to inherit Dracula's power specifically, so he might be a front runner. Graham knows about the prophecy and actively believes he's the reincarnation of Dracula, so Alucard and Yoko are probably watching him more closely.

Everyone probably believes that in the inevitable fight between the two potential candidates, the real Dracula would have to be the winner, so they just hang back and let the real dracula show his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Explopyro posted:

I also like how, if you read between the lines, this game's story is Alucard trying an outlandish plan to give his father a second chance, and actually succeeding.

I haven't beaten this game since beating Symphony of the Night for the first time, and Alucard/Arikado's "in my mother's name, I thank you" hits different now :unsmith: