Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Aria whips rear end, congrats on getting to experience it for the first time.

Simply Simon posted:

non-LP-comments: Circle rules, I've played all modes back to back in the Collection because I couldn't get enough. Yeah it has obvious and massive flaws but it's such a short, focused, surprisingly challenging and varied game that I don't care. Also it has the best soundtrack on the collection imo!

Circle was my first Castlevania game, so I didn't realize until years later how much of its music is remixed from earlier entries in the series.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Big fan of the music in the Study here, one of my favorite Castlevania tracks ever. Too bad the area is so small.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Fun trivia: the Game Over screen is hanging on a wall in the Dance Hall. No, I don't know what it's supposed to be depicting.

Simply Simon posted:

When he found it and didn't save I was so ready for that to bite him in the rear end :allears:

And then didn't go back to re-discover it after reloading. That's our Nat!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah, Dawn is the one where getting more copies of a given soul can sometimes power up that ability. There's also another mechanic in that game where you can spend souls to get items. They really lean into the soul-grinding aspect of the game, to its detriment.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rigged Death Trap posted:

only because the drop rate is horrid and certain mechanics are bugged.

Definitely agree about the first point, but I wasn't aware of the second point. What specifically went wrong there?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Sorry for this, its over now

Oh God how did I not know about that :negative: That explains so much lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Inner Quarters has some good souls if you ever feel like grinding.

Also Headhunter always reminded me of a character from (I think) that nightmare Return to Oz movie who was a robot lady with different heads that she could switch between? It's a vague memory.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
There are two enemies in the Clock Tower that are worth grinding for their Soul drops IMO, but I'll let you figure out which ones they are :ninja:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah the need in Dawn of Sorrow to grind multiple copies of some souls for both powering them up and having any weapons worth a drat really puts a damper on the whole game. It might be better than Aria if the Soul economy wasn't so brutal.

Explopyro posted:

Honestly I'm shocked in general at what awful luck they're having with soul drops, and I'm tempted to encourage a bit of grinding even though that might mess with the pacing of the LP.

That said, I'm having a hard time remembering whether this is closer to the typical experience, because when I play this I'm generally in the habit of grinding a bit here and there as I go, especially for the souls I know are good.

IMO Nat is underleveled for this part of the game, but maybe that's about to be solved!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If you're still stuck on Death at the time of this post, the Giant Ghost soul lets you kind of cheese the first phase of this fight. It's a toughie, but it is doable!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shitenshi posted:

The other fast little fucker? People here who've played this game know exactly who I'm talking about.

It's my favorite fight in the game tbh, but we'll get to that when we get there. I do think Death is the hardest boss in the game relative to when you fight it though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
There's another entrance to the Underground Reservoir across from that very first save point that Nat refuses to use, you dipped your head in there in episode 1 :eng101:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah the Underground Reservoir is huge, and you haven't even explored the entire thing yet. And I love how sudden that Yoko cutscene is, it's one of the few effective jump scares in this series.

Also there is a save point close to a warp point, it's the one at the beginning of the castle that you keep ignoring :argh:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

Welp, and that's how you miss out on Legion's soul. In case you're curious, you need to break all four corpse shield bits before destroying the ball in the middle.

lol I knew this would happen as soon as Nat died to Legion once, and having met the requirements to get the Soul the first time no less. Oh well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Are you this stubborn in real life, or do you just play it up for the viewers?

Also Medusa Head was one of the Souls that I recommended grinding earlier, since as you figured out it lets you completely cheese the second phase of the Balore fight.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 7, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Natural 20 posted:

If anything I would try more times without viewers.

That's actually heartening to hear. No matter how this LP ends I hope you give the game another shot on your own time, I feel like you're getting a pretty raw deal by feeling forced to rush through it.

E: I think that's also related to your comment about Hollow Knight feeling easier. Because that game was so open-ended after a certain point, you couldn't really get "stuck" because there wasn't an intended critical path the way there is with older Metroidvanias (at least intended for first-time players)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 7, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rosalie_A posted:

Past that, Killer Mantle is a weird one. Enemies don't really have MP stats aside from for this one soul, so the swapping part tends to not matter. It is a very fast attacking soul, and there are specifically some enemies where utilizing it can make your life much easier or harder: it's worth experimenting with.

There's one regular enemy that's impossible to kill without it, but that's usually the only time I use it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
And after just getting done complaining about the attack range of the Ascalon! Come on man.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ulmont posted:

…so does jumping so you can push it twice as fast by hitting it on both swings.

I just run back and forth and hit it from both directions as it swings. Goes fast enough if you're coordinated.

I know where the box with my GBA games are due to moving some stuff around for housework, I should replay this game to see if it's as punishing as it looks right now...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I was going to say to look in the Bestiary, but Tea was kind enough to mention it. I will admit however that I had to look up what exactly you're supposed to do with the books, I assume it's one of those things that would be more obvious with a better translation.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Simply Simon posted:

As Tea has pointed out, you can also use the boat you push to get higher, which by the way is insanely fiddly and I just couldn't get it to work for the life of me in my last playthrough. I think I must have done something wrong, but I just kept slipping off!

Yeah I don't recall ever being able to make it work. Just come back with the Giant Bat.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Gungnir has a lower ATK because it hits twice, at least if you get close enough :eng101: All lightning-based attacks have this trait, which is why the Lightning Doll soul is so strong

E: Hammering on elemental weaknesses is a good way to power through the tougher encounters in the late game, I think it's why Aria throws so many elemental weapons at you in the back half. It's why a certain yet-to-be-found weapon trivializes so much, because it combines a strong element with great range and base damage.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 17, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The End.
No moral.

I do like the way the throne room looks though, and Graham's second form is a good hosed up monster design.

Schwartzcough posted:

There's the fight where overhead weapons shine. You can basically stay crouched and just slide back and forth to avoid the laser, all while hitting the boss with the overhead swing.

Same with the first phase, as you don't have to aim at the small hit box that is his head.

Aaaagh Nat you doofus the Books are color-coded for the type of Soul each one is describing, pick up on basic visual cues my dude.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Simply Simon posted:

Nat never even sees the color of Souls he picks up

I fell out of my chair when Nat said "well I got the Souls for the Books but it didn't seem to do anything. I don't really understand the point of all that". Wish I could harvest that confidence and sell it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
:sickos: I was worried that you wouldn't think to look over there, the Claimh Solias whips rear end. I think every area in the game has at least one secret room (Floating Gardens might not?) but this one is by far the most important.

Also the Joyeuse isn't a great weapon but it does have one thing going for it - it sells for a ton of money. If you want the Soul Eater Ring on a new playthrough it goes a long way towards making that happen.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This fight rules, and you can hear clips of OG Castlevania music sprinkled into the music.

Also the final ability/Gray Soul was in this episode - it's Kicker Skeleton.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't think you have to destroy the eyes in Chaos pt 2, doing so just makes the center enemy take more damage.

Anyway, I'm glad you ended up liking this! Definitely go back and die to Chaos when you get a chance, and try Julius Mode as well.

E: and if you play through the main game again, definitely grind for the Lightning Doll soul. Trust.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Explopyro posted:

I also like how, if you read between the lines, this game's story is Alucard trying an outlandish plan to give his father a second chance, and actually succeeding.

I haven't beaten this game since beating Symphony of the Night for the first time, and Alucard/Arikado's "in my mother's name, I thank you" hits different now :unsmith: