Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Hell yeah, Aria rules and so will this LP. I can feel it in my creaking bones.

- backdash-jumping where you tried it is, in fact, a typical sequence break for this game
- the Bat soul isn't useless at all - it attacks below you, after all. You could have used it in the staircase where you lamented the lack of such an ability! Also it's cheap as hell
- if you know from later games what the peeping eye soul does (or luck into it immediately), the enemy placement here is super clever actually

non-LP-comments: Circle rules, I've played all modes back to back in the Collection because I couldn't get enough. Yeah it has obvious and massive flaws but it's such a short, focused, surprisingly challenging and varied game that I don't care. Also it has the best soundtrack on the collection imo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Ayndin posted:

That was the one that was a GBA launch title, right? I remember playing it on an early GBA and it was fun, but almost impossible to see what the hell you were doing in some parts because of the system's light issues and the dark palette.
Probably its biggest issue on original hardware; with the collection, however, it really shines.

Explopyro posted:

Honestly, Circle of the Moon is pretty good and I think people underrate it, but it's definitely one of those games that feels flawed in a few ways when you revisit it. (For instance: almost all the equipment, and less forgivably, the cards, are random drops from enemies, and the hidden secrets are all just HP/MP/Heart upgrades; a lot of it just feels kind of empty? And the environments aren't nearly as well designed as most other entries in the series.) Some parts of it feel a bit more like a proof of concept than a full game, but it's a solid enough experience and the different modes gave it a decent amount of replayability, I was really impressed with it when the GBA first came out.

I'll put another vote for "get rid of the bestiary popups if it's causing problems", I don't think they add very much unless you're really enjoying doing commentary on the enemy names. Or if you find it helpful for tracking which souls you have, I guess.

I enjoy the way you're trying out all the souls and using some unusual ones; it's very easy to get complacent and just use the straightforward ones, but some of the abilities are really out there in neat ways and it's fun to see them. (I don't think I've ever used Killer Fish...)
1) yeah p much, also double tap to run suuucks but otoh you run drat fast, so that's nice. Many things are also way too obscure, like going back to boss rooms to find newly spawned enemies that are the only source of some of the best cards. Horseshit! But with a little guide help for that...or you just run Magician Mode so you can have ALL the cards! (or you use the glitch)
2) isn't there an option to fill the black screen with a cool background image in the Collection settings (L2)? You could rotate those. I kinda like the pop-ups for the enemy names.
3) yeah, trying out something goofy and finding out that it actually does a lot of damage (water gun early game MVP for me) is the best part of these games

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Shitenshi posted:

Bamboo sword might have lower attack power, but weapons like that can be useful if you're that hard up to take out hard to reach enemies. Like the stack of skull heads right where you found it or the unes located in those inconspicuous locations. Also, Tiny Devil soul is indeed the poo poo for this point in the game.
Yeah, some of the enemy combinations and locations seem to suggest to you "use one of the souls against the other here". The Unes are great against the slow-moving stone armors (if you judge the throwing distance right, it does pack a huge punch), and the stones from the armors can hit the Unes well. Same goes for the bamboo sword. It's also the only weapon right now that can break the ceiling in the cloak room.

by the by: bat soul is super useful against Unes below you, too!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Marluxia posted:

Zombie Officer's soul :argh:

The translation in this game is not perfect, and that description is not at all what it says it is. What it means is you don't get knocked away when you get hit in the air.

oh that clears up a lot

a little less useful in a game without bottomless pits, huh

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Epicmissingno posted:

I can't believe Nat finally found the very first save point and nothing was said about it, both in the video and outside of it.

When he found it and didn't save I was so ready for that to bite him in the rear end :allears:

Also Quetzals are absolutely the worst enemies, yes

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Man, your luck is rotten. You didn't get a single random soul this episode, if I don't forget one? And the tiny devil one is really starting to fall off...

Also, your save policy is driving me nuts. Not saving immediately after beating a tough-ish boss with the save point right next to it is one thing, but going up then down an area that kinda beats you up, ending up right next to the boss (and thus save) room once again and not saving? please

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I was here for SotN it just still drives me nuts. Bonkers. Bananas!

EDIT: I'm a "save every three steps in Pokemon" kinda guy

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

More like cock tower lmfao

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The way Nat is doing the LP is also not how many players might go about things, especially not the first time around - for example, you might go halfway through an area or down a dead end and with half your health remaining, you might decided to say gently caress it and go back to the last save point, then the second time it's easier with more knowledge and maybe another level. And while you're going back to the save, a soul happens to drops. And back to where you started, another one, maybe. That's how "naturally" you can end up "grinding" without doing it deliberately.

I think Nat is doing what's best for LP pacing - he pushes on without repeating content, he just cuts out long walks back if it's boring, and it's more exciting to think "oh drat he hasn't saved in ages and is out of potions noooo". But that's where the discrepancy to casual play comes in, I think.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Death is deathinitely a point where the game asks you if you're really high enough level and really got enough Souls + resources, or if you maybe want to take a step back, explore somewhere else, find a few things, ya know

Like, it's a bit brutal of a question, but it's fair enough overall imo

(I got the lightning doll Soul to speed it up a lil' in the second phase)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

I would go back for that drat suit tbh
It's an insane upgrade. Super worth it tbh

Something I forgot to mention: it's a little annoying to me that one of the coolest movement abilities in Castlevanias is locked behind a random drop in Aria, and if you don't know about it, there's little chance you'll get it (singular, out of the way enemy). We've seen it! Once!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

"Skula" is actually a mistranslation of Scylla, a mythical monster you might remember from Symphony.

Yes, this is one of the most baffling decisions in the game. While (I think) they give it a high drop rate, it's just not enough.
like 20 kills last time I played

Omobono posted:

Are you talking about the ____ downward kick _____? I'm drawing a blank otherwise.
i am

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah the Nightmare rules, I'm happy you got to keep it!

I'm a bit "eh" on this area. It's nice and chill your first time, but it's so slow to traverse if you're going back to it for corners you missed etc., it has the "iron boots problem", and there's barely a warp in and around it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Armor upgrades: irrelevant
Weapon upgrades: don't care

Why am I struggling? A true mystery.

The arena IS tough, however. The side paths are optional and give you big rewards. Also, a bit puzzley. Nothing preventing you from coming back later, though!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Nat attempting a jump but being too tilted to realize he can fly now gave me actual brain damage

Hope all those ignored optional upgrades don't end up biting you in the rear end...otoh that's what potions are for, I guess.

The conveyor belt room IS the worst in the game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I did some thinking, and you know what? It does hurt to see, with current game knowledge, puzzles deliberately unsolved, upgrades ungotten and so on, but when I first played this? I said "screw this" to the Worst Room, I didn't get the ball OR the direction puzzles at all, and decided to just come back later to see "if I got the right Soul to solve the puzzle". What Nat's doing actually tracks with what many players would do when encountering these rooms, I feel like. Of course, Tea knows how to solve stuff and is getting anxious for all of us who also know, but I don't think the game really intended for the player to solve these optional puzzles and made the difficulty of later areas with the rewards in mind.

So, it's fine, really.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Spritz3 posted:

Have we all chosen not to tell Nat that you can cancel ANY weapon animation by backdashing, and then cancel a backdash by jumping? It's the thing that makes slow weapons usable. I know we want to see him suffer, but... come on.
That's a hassle though. Speedrunners do that for sure but I personally would just not. The weapons are plenty usable without that tactic. It's as mentioned in the video, a simple tradeoff between agile and weaker and powerful but clunkier weapons. I personally really like the latter, actually, because I tend to go for those big hits and then reposition and "plan" the next - it's not the "optimal" way to play but I like doing it. It's also why I'm not a big fan of Order of Ecclesia's combat, that's all about spamming weak attacks.

Shei-kun posted:

As much as I wanted to see Nat clear those rooms, I'm glad he moved on instead so he didn't make himself completely salty on the game for the rest of the LP. Those rooms were not good, and if they were required for the Best Ending, I'm pretty sure Tea would have spoken up.
We've seen two of the rewards, the last one for the D-Pad puzzle is the rare ring which is only nice if you're still under the assumption that luck does anything and if you want to farm a specific rare drop, but there's no real reason to do so I don't think?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Gnoman posted:

The Rare Ring's bonus effect is not luck dependent, and thus works quite well.
Yeah I formulated that poorly, it also increases luck by +5 in addition to its effect, so half of it works

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

There was a bit more detailed talk behind spoilers earlier in the thread, but in short: Rare Ring works fine, Luck is completely worthless.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

All the stuff on the top left could have been gotten as soon as you were there - because, and that's no longer a spoiler now that you can just fly instead, you can stand on the back of Catoblepas' (and their recolors). Then you can adjust the bone pillar's height by killing only half or so, and stand on them.

As Tea has pointed out, you can also use the boat you push to get higher, which by the way is insanely fiddly and I just couldn't get it to work for the life of me in my last playthrough. I think I must have done something wrong, but I just kept slipping off!

the uh! uh! in Tea's voice when Nat actually used the Chronomage soul in one of the sky fish rooms...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

C-Euro posted:

The End.
No moral.

I do like the way the throne room looks though, and Graham's second form is a good hosed up monster design.

Same with the first phase, as you don't have to aim at the small hit box that is his head.

Aaaagh Nat you doofus the Books are color-coded for the type of Soul each one is describing, pick up on basic visual cues my dude.
Nat never even sees the color of Souls he picks up

I've alluded to the missing ability (grey!) Soul before - it's a random drop from a singular midgame enemy. Yes, that's stupid.

Anyway, congrats on beating? the game!