Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Peeping Eye is an enemy in basically every single Castlevania...except SotN where it only shows up as a background element.

The popup on the right is just a quick look into the Bestiary. Less useful in Aria of Sorrow compared to its other appearances in the Advance Collection, but still useful if you're wondering if you got the soul for the thing you're punching. On that note, the number shown isn't the enemy's level, but rather its entry number in the Bestiary.

Finally, there are two types of Guardian Souls (the blue ones): the ones activated by holding R, and the ones toggled on/off by pressing R. You can tell the difference between the two by the cost: the hold-R ones will have a long dotted arrow beneath the X/TIME cost, while toggles will have a short arrow.

On that note, Souls as a whole are technically termed "Tactical Souls", a term that no one outside of fan wikis use. The different types, in addition to the color, have different names: Bullet Souls (Up+B), Guardian Souls (R), Enchanted Souls (equippable passives), and Ability Souls (can be toggled individually, gives new movement capabilities).

I was going to encourage you to try out all sorts of different souls and then remembered I just saw you using Killer Fish and Merman so I guess I don't need to say anything. Keep up the good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I've found most Aria of Sorrow players prefer the overhand-swinging weapons, but I'm actually with Nat in preferring the faster stabbing swords and knives. I hate the Whip Sword, though: give me that Baselard instead.

More importantly, you didn't need to jump to hit the Big Golem. Its legs are just as vulnerable.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Aria has a fair number of rooms that are just empty except for an enemy or two in them. This isn't accidental: it's to provide an easy place to grind for the soul if so inclined. As a result, most every enemy ends up close enough to a room transition to very quickly and safely respawn and fight.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Sylvian Wastes posted:

If you're going to be using a projectile like nightmare, using a sword that swings in a big arc is kinda recommended, since you can hit enemies above and below that your projectile can't reach.

The bigger problem, and I agree with Nat on this, is weapons that you can't landing-cancel. Like the Whip Sword is a nice long ranged straight shot, but you can't cancel it like you can other knives and swords of that type. Meanwhile one of the best swinging weapons in the game does have the landing cancel available, and this is one of the reasons it's so well regarded.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Balore is, I feel safe in saying, the most difficult boss in the game, just because of how unpredictable Phase 1 is.

Anyway, if you haven't gotten it by the time you read this, there's a weapon Nat, that you'll really like. It's, should you want to know what/where, the Vjaya, available by flying up to a suspended platform in one of the vertical segments of the Castle Corridor. It's lightning elemental and attacks straight ahead, usually hits twice, and is jump cancelable.

Past that, Killer Mantle is a weird one. Enemies don't really have MP stats aside from for this one soul, so the swapping part tends to not matter. It is a very fast attacking soul, and there are specifically some enemies where utilizing it can make your life much easier or harder: it's worth experimenting with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I'm not even sure the odd tiling that's supposed to be seen there.