Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:woop:
A narrative that won't make me want to stab everyone on screen, just the assholes.

To clarify there's plenty of non-assholes in this game.

All aboard the Drac Race. We're going to go places. Well, mostly the Castlevania, but it deserves the plural on its own.

anilEhilated posted:

e: I think I need to correct Tea there - in this game, having multiples of the same soul does not power it up.

Uh, it doesn't? A change in Dawn I suppose. Probably for the worse, I hate farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "indicating a difference of the advance collection."
I noticed that enemies Nat didn't have the soul of had a grey dot to the left of their name, enemies he had the soul of got a red* soul instead.

*I assume blue/yellow souls would get that color.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Does Aria have multiple soul sets you can hotswap through?

It's been a while since I last played the gba/ds 'vanias so I don't remember when that became a thing.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm enjoying Nat speculating on the plot of the unreleased Castlevania 1999.

The thread title is :discourse:. And of course for all the factions and the contestants that have been preparing for the Drac race for decades an unpredicted dark horse has appeared to blow this joint up. Metaphorically and literally.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mildly Interesting posted:

I feel bad for those zombie soldiers. Sent to fight supernatural beings, and what do they get? A knife. And grenades with a one foot blast radius.

"Sir can we have guns"

"No"

I'm assuming they don't have the fine motor skills required to effectively operate their rifles anymore.

I don't know what the shelf life is for modern grenades, probably more than 36 years, so I've got nothing on those.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

After Hollow Knight, I don't know why would anyone expect Nat to suffer anything in a MetroidVania.
Except for the Space Jump, and even that was defeated together with Raven Beak.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

For shame, Nat, not recognizing Alucard through his paper thin alias. Soma at least has the excuse of not knowing poo poo about this supernatural poo poo till one hour ago.
Although Soma really should get his evildar fixed now that Hammer's shop is in business. Not pinging Graham on sight is a major failure; it's on par with Spira and Seymour Guado.

Hammer got sent here by the US army to recover as much materiel they left behind in 1999 as possible, didn't he? Although I don't know where opening a second hand shop figures into it; it's probably outside his mission's scope.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I was remembering something wrong. I was convinced J got stuck in the Castlevania back in 1999, surviving 36 years by sheer badass and the random food drops from breaking candles.

Apparently not. Don't ask me how, he was pretty clear "I have amnesia and a burning hatred of anything Dracula so I came here to Castlevania when it appeared again, hopefully I can fix the first while sating the second".

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think the game is tuned for a low-ish drop rate on souls to increase the difficulty in a way that can be easily solved by farming while still high enough you get new toys to play with every now and then. My only complaints would be over the Peeping Eye's soul drop rate and gently caress the tsuchinoko (it's a 100% completion enemy, nothing spoilery).

As opposed to Dawn of Sorrow where Yoko's Soul Forging Services is all "you want the Mjolnir, bring 50 Valkyrie's souls" (actual details may vary but you get the gist).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Simply Simon posted:

It's an insane upgrade. Super worth it tbh

Something I forgot to mention: it's a little annoying to me that one of the coolest movement abilities in Castlevanias is locked behind a random drop in Aria, and if you don't know about it, there's little chance you'll get it (singular, out of the way enemy). We've seen it! Once!

Are you talking about the ____ downward kick _____? I'm drawing a blank otherwise.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Natural 20 posted:

Just remember, if there is a boss fight, just keep going at it over and over until you get good.

Do not think about going elsewhere or changing your loadout, that is folly.

:hmmyes: sage advice. People just need to :gitgud:, if they don't demolish a wall by repeatedly slamming their heads into it are they even trying?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The overhead weapons are good because you can bunny hop while swinging them and get a lot of range and mobility out of them.

That hallway probably needs a bat signboard at the entrance, it's clearly designed to be as loving annoying as possible without flight. Or with it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:agreed: drop the Knight into that room and watch Nat ace it on the first attempt.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

For the hate of Dracula change weapon Nat oh tank god he found the Laevatain.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Quackles posted:

"That mechanic" is a lot more of a pain if you're playing on an emulator with a mouse, believe me.

:emptyquote:

Short version for those that didn't play Dawn: early DS game, shoehorned (mandatory) touchscreen-only controls.

anilEhilated posted:

I believe there are romhacks that get rid of that. And good thing too.

Yup, never play Dawn without that kind of hacks.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Alucard (through Mina) told Soma how to get through the waterfall some (four or five I think?) updates ago but Nat didn't understand it at the time.

Speaking of aliases, what has Julius been doing between 1999 and the current time? Ok, he had amnesia but it's been 36 years, I find strange that Alucard and the other Belmonts never tracked him down afterwards.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I do appreciate how Graham clearly has no clue what he's doing.
Phase 1 is standard Dracula fare, you can't really gently caress it up; but then phase 1.5 is the world's saddest danmaku pattern and phase 2 is defeated by the ancient arcane knowledge of ducking :honk:

(Yes I know the emote is a goose close enough)

E: seconding Guacamelee, it's a fun little 'vania playing as, uh, would it be fair to say Juanito is luchador The Crow?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 19, 2022

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

So, on the video when Nat came up with the amazing thread title, I first misheard "Soma Cruz's Drac Race" as "Soma Cruz is Dracula".

Anyways I love how the post fight scene perfectly flows from how Nat fought Julius:
"How did you know I wasn't really trying?"
"Two reasons: one I'm not dead, two come on you let yourself get kited to death by Death's scythes"

Omobono fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 24, 2022

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I do wonder how much how this was planned; that is, when exactly did Alucard realize Soma is Dracula's reincarnation?
Because the latest Belnades being really good friend, basically the cool big sister, to Drac reincarnation's girlfriend is a bit of a coincidence. Also Yoko's "you're you" talk was kind too precisely targeted at Soma's set of identity problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Not to say Julius isn't best Belmont, but isn't the reason Dracula isn't around* anymore because J convinced** D to give up on being lord of evil? I doubt even J could punch Dracula so hard he couldn't return the next century if he wished to.

*yeah yeah Soma is around, you get what I mean
**and then there was an epic duel between the two

Unrelated: Ecclesia is hard?