Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm legitimately surprised to see that the water gun can be so good. I always wrote it off as just another soul I'll never use. Ditto for the Killer Fish, and there are a few points now I can see where it would be very useful.

re: Sonic chat. I was 13 when I first saw Sonic Underground and even then thought it was cheesy, but grew loving the comedy chili dog show, and SatAM. gently caress knows what I'd think of them now though, especially the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Bamboo sword might have lower attack power, but weapons like that can be useful if you're that hard up to take out hard to reach enemies. Like the stack of skull heads right where you found it or the unes located in those inconspicuous locations. Also, Tiny Devil soul is indeed the poo poo for this point in the game.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It just dawned on me that not only would Soma's life would be a hell of a lot easier, but they'd be able to deal with that shady guy Graham no problem, if either Arikado or Yoko just straight up went with him from the start.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I like that every other NPC in this game so far walks slow, but J power struts away instead.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Cats are truly the bane of all evil. Look how Imhotep's jaw literally dropped in the Mummy when he got an eyeful of a furry little puffball.

Though I'm surprised to see Tea say this game is the easiest of the GBA trilogy. Between both the areas which can be strangely empty and the sheer lack of enemy variety, Harmony of Dissonance is definitely a cakewalk. Even if you play it on Hard Mode while refusing to use magic, it's hilariously forgiving.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I never paid much attention to the Wu-Tang Clan, but I always thought they were named after the real sect of Wudang monks, who have an often bloody and deadly rivalry with the Shaolin monks. There have been stories of lone monks just wandering the countryside minding their own business only for armed groups of martial artists to spring out of nowhere and literally try to kill them. Or how sometimes they'll meet up for a martial artist gang fight, and taxi drivers will pop out out of nowhere to throw out baseball bats and knives for funsies, and just watch the two groups go at it like they're watching a movie.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm surprised to hear that about the soul mechanics. drat, I can already imagine Dawn being so much loving better if things were different.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 20, 2022

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I can't remember, did Nat see the bad ending to Symphony first before unlocking the Inverted Castle? The way he's going about it with this game, I have a feeling this playthrough is going to be a lot more like Hollow Knight in getting and seeing all there is to do.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The Headhunter does try to shank you if you get too close in the first form. I don't think Iga was counting on most people to still be using the whip sword this point in the game.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Did they really take out the option to skip cutscenes in this version? It definitely works in the OG GBA version. Of the three GBAvanias, Circle of the Moon is the only one that doesn't let you skip cutscenes, which can be annoying given that one can be ruthless at points.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Nat really needs to learn how to use that double jump properly when Death starts the high speed scythe AOE attack in the second phase. Once you got that down pat, gently caress potions.

Also surprised to see that Tea thinks this is the worst boss in the game. I can think of two assholes later on that are way worse than this one, and there's even a wide gap in power between those two. The one, maybe not everyone struggles with but it's attacks can be damaging if they connect and that alone makes it kinda annoying. The other fast little fucker? People here who've played this game know exactly who I'm talking about.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'll never forget that on my most recent playthrough of HoD, that I found out you can skip the first boss. He's not guarding anything, and you can walk around his room.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I was surprised to see the damage Nat was taking drastically lower so much after getting the Pitch Black Suit. I knew it was good, but drat. And the Ascalon is truly a bitchin sword.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
There are only a few offensive souls that are better than the Nightmare, and even then with it's cheap MP cost, power, and range, it's still a contender for endgame.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Nat has to be the first person I've seen struggle with the overhead swinging weapons. I can understand not like the hammer simply because of it's piss poor range and how easily it leaves you exposed, but the Ascalon is a good weapon. With the Nightmare and Death Souls, he should be a walking murder machine.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Seeing Legion go down like that, it does make me appreciate the bosses in Circle of the Moon and the DS Vania's that much more. There were a handful of duds in each of them, but for the most part they were pretty dynamic and fun to engage with. I like this game and even Harmony of Dissonance spite of it's flaws, but it apparently took Iga some growing pains to consistently make fun and interesting boss fights.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Considering how fast Balore's heat wave is and the limited range of it, I'm pretty sure if Nat simply used one or two strong jumps over it as opposed to two small jumps, he could easily bypass it no problem, Medusa Head cheese be damned.

Also, Nat's frustration with overhead swinging weapons does help me understand the people who use weaker but faster weapons in Dawn, which by contrast aren't overhead swinging. I don't get it myself, but I'm not willing to chalk it up to unbalanced game design anymore because of the sheer difference in attack power making everything else look irrelevant, it's probably intended as more of a courtesy to people who don't want to use those types of weapons.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 7, 2022

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I remember I alluded to how much the Ascalon can be sorta game breaking during the Symphony thread, simply because for the time you can get it, it can carry you all the way to the final boss, acquisition of endgame weapons be damned. I'll tell you what, four years later, I was not expecting Nat's long awaited tour of Aria to go so differently than what I expected.

Schwartzcough posted:

I like how Nat concluded the new sword's range wasn't that great without even equipping it again, since it's pretty enormous.

He did fiddle with the Balmung in the last episode. I'm surprised he wrote it off so fast though, it was only two points weaker than the Ascalon.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I know there's a certain boss fight mechanic in Dawn that was polarizing to some, but once you got used to it, it wasn't a big deal, the sheer inconvenience of it besides. Still, if Nat ever does tackle that game, I could easily see it making him want to ragequit.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yeeup there are, along with some of the glitches and uh, artistic choices to say the least. Though poo poo, doing that with a mouse sounds like a nightmare. Did they ever re-release Dawn on any other platforms besides the DS,? Because if so, Nat should definitely just say gently caress forking any money over to Nintendo, and just go the emulation route.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The game being cute with the ancient books is one of the few problems I have with it. It must be taking Tea all his willpower to not break the blind rule and straight up tell Nat which souls to farm.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 12, 2022

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm glad Nat is still enjoying the game, but I'm starting to think Tea should exert more executive control over where he goes from here on out. I'd love to see his reaction to the really good stuff in the game, be that the upcoming plot dungeon or just the optional content.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I know Nat won't be finding the Claimh Solais anytime soon simply because of the rules of a blind playthrough and finding it on it's own can be kind of a hassle, but I was kind of hoping one of the Final Guards would drop the Final Sword. It's a weapon type he hates, but it's hella strong and has good range! What fun that would be.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Kurt Angle VS The Forces of Evil is the Shaq-Fu we need for the new era.

Shei-kun posted:

I like how you ended that fight with a weapon they were very strong against. Powerful unintentional flex.

Graham is non-element. Death's Sickle does more damage to him than a certain holy weapon.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Did some digging around, and Claimh Solais is Irish, so in typical fucky linguistic fashion, it's not all pronounced like it looks. Apparently it's said like "kleevuh suhleesh", the same way Cait Sith's name in FFVII is said like "ket shee."

Johnny Joestar posted:

there was the question about graham's powers, and i...don't think the game ever really explains what his deal is? he's just kinda generic and 'fit to inherit dracula's powers' or whatever but nothing else is really said or shown that implies anything along what soma does. in dawn of sorrow it gives the other candidates something that's more distinctly their thing to work with that isn't what soma does but i don't think they had thought that far ahead for aria with graham.

I think their deal is the same as Graham's. Being born on the day of Dracula's final death made them very distant heirs, the equivalent of distant cousins of the king's sister, whereas Soma is the prince, and therefore the next in line. The only difference is that their powers are like gimmicky sentai villains, where it's never specified what Graham's particular power is.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 22, 2022

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I thought Nat would get creamed by Julius for sure, but leave it to the guy who likes the Student Witch soul at this stage in the game and cheesed Balore with Medusa Head to win this fight from a distance spamming Death scythes.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 24, 2022

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I had no idea the Gladiator soul could be so useful. I always thought Valkyrie gave pretty good bang for it's buck, being obscenely strong, holy elemental, having a cheap MP cost, and you get it relatively early, but that one really surprised me.

Starting to wonder what Nat would think tackling Hard Mode. I don't think it's that big of a step up compared to other Castlevania's though.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The only time Circle gets truly bullshit is how you don't know what a particular DSS card combo does until you actually do it, and considering some of these combos involve inputting a random set of buttons like a fighting game without telling you what exactly that is, yeah, annoying. And it can be kind of dumb when some certain late game enemies will use wide ranged projectile attacks that come from off screen. You can go into a new room, just business as usual, and BAM! You just got lasered out of nowhere.

Other than that, it's great. Tough, but fair. Considering how games back in the early-mid aughts were kinda getting easier on average, it really does feel like good old school NES/SNES gameplay without falling into some of the design quirks of Soulsborne type games. And I liked how the extra modes in that one could actually be punishing, even the ones where you're stronger than usual, unlike most Igavania's, where it's just steamrolling most of the opposition. Never did complete the Arena period, even in Fighter mode or whatever it's called.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 28, 2022