Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well its not the best post SOTN IGAvania
because theyre all the best in their own way :colbert:

except harmony of dissonance and circle of the moon
It was, in fact, the first good one after a while. There are still issues, but it's a lot of fun nonentheless.

actually Circle of the Moon is decent

e: I think I need to correct Tea there - in this game, having multiples of the same soul does not power it up.
e2: Love how Nat beats the backdash tutorial boss without actually using the backdash.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

Uh, it doesn't? A change in Dawn I suppose. Probably for the worse, I hate farming.
Yeah, as it has been mentioned, there's really only one thing affected by extra copies of a soul: Headhunter.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, so we're starting to get into what I think is the weakest point of the game, a lot of the bosses are extremely underwhelming. That poor manticore deserved better treatment from the devs.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 9, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of translation, anyone has an idea what Soma is saying when casting some of the souls? The Tiny Devil warcry just sounds like "shiitake!" to me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Luck doesn't work. If you get 99 luck the rate increases by 0.03%
It's the same in Aria, where you need thousands of luck to affect the drop rate at all.

Does the Soul Eater ring work?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd just like Tea to know I appreciated the Curse of Monkey Island reference.

e: Speaking of legendary swords, Gram, the famous sword known as "Gram", is another name for the blade Balmung, which I'm pretty sure is a separate weapon in this game. Most famously used by Sigurd to slay the dragon Fafnir.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 21, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sylvian Wastes posted:

I want to scream at how little ducking nat is doing. Its an essential part of dodging deaths attacks quickly in the second phase, and dodging projectiles in general.
Yeah, I suspect this is the main problem here. The slide move is really useful here, in both phases.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

See, I know what Tea means but I'm gonna choose to interpret "worst" differently because while the double scythe is cool Harmony of Dissonance had the best second phase and they didn't up their game.
They upped their game in literally everything but that. Ugh. Can't even play HoD in the Advance Collection, it's just so bad in so many regards.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Skula" is actually a mistranslation of Scylla, a mythical monster you might remember from Symphony.

Simply Simon posted:

Something I forgot to mention: it's a little annoying to me that one of the coolest movement abilities in Castlevanias is locked behind a random drop in Aria, and if you don't know about it, there's little chance you'll get it (singular, out of the way enemy). We've seen it! Once!
Yes, this is one of the most baffling decisions in the game. While (I think) they give it a high drop rate, it's just not enough.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rosalie_A posted:

Aria has a fair number of rooms that are just empty except for an enemy or two in them. This isn't accidental: it's to provide an easy place to grind for the soul if so inclined. As a result, most every enemy ends up close enough to a room transition to very quickly and safely respawn and fight.
IIRC some of them also contain Hard mode exclusive items.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, and that's how you miss out on Legion's soul. In case you're curious, you need to break all four corpse shield bits before destroying the ball in the middle.

On the plus side, not having makes at least one later fight much more interesting.

e: And on the mistranslation corner, "Skull Millione" is actually supposed to be "Scarmiglione". This whole enemy line consists of devils namedropped in Dante's Inferno.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 5, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Huh. Which fight - I never used that soul?
Julius. It's got just enough range to keep you safe while still doing damage.

e: I also thought they're weak to Dark but that is apparently not the case.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 5, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That water running hint's translation is really messed up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Spritz3 posted:

Have we all chosen not to tell Nat that you can cancel ANY weapon animation by backdashing, and then cancel a backdash by jumping? It's the thing that makes slow weapons usable. I know we want to see him suffer, but... come on.
Frankly I think he forgot that thing exists.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I know where the box with my GBA games are due to moving some stuff around for housework, I should replay this game to see if it's as punishing as it looks right now...
To be fair, the Arena trials are the hardest part of the game by quite a bit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I believe there are romhacks that get rid of that. And good thing too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

Alucard (through Mina) told Soma how to get through the waterfall some (four or five I think?) updates ago but Nat didn't understand it at the time.
To be fair, it did so in extremely mangled translation.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the game obviously wasn't made with non-tiny screens in mind.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Graham's final form, with the person bound in the middle of the monster like that. I feel like I've seen it somewhere before.
It could be a callback to the final battle of SotN where you don't fight Dracula as much as his chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

Unrelated: Ecclesia is hard?
Until you get a good set of glyphs going, yeah. I wouldn't put it near Circle though, that game is just dickish.