Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nat's continual ability to completely miss save points is still amazing. :allears:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well its not the best post SOTN IGAvania
because theyre all the best in their own way :colbert:

except harmony of dissonance and circle of the moon

e: ooh i kind of hate that bestiary popup but its also kind of useful
You can turn it off in the emulator menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Whip Sword is a pretty good weapon and it was probably placed where it was because it's an ideal weapon to use against the Not-So-Great Armor. But the "two-handed" weapons like the Hammer, Broadsword, etc have their uses too. I wonder if Nat will reject the Claim Solais based upon its animation.

Omobono posted:

Hammer got sent here by the US army to recover as much materiel they left behind in 1999 as possible, didn't he? Although I don't know where opening a second hand shop figures into it; it's probably outside his mission's scope.
Hammer straight-up says he bailed on his mission in that dialog after the Just Kinda Okay Armor. I don't think we ever learn what his "mission" actually was, but he clearly wasn't informed about the potential for Eclipse Castle. I think he's supposed to be part of the JSDF though, considering the game takes place in Japan.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 12, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, Zombie Officer is not one of the more-used souls in Aria, I'm sure.

theshim posted:

That's an incredibly kind way of putting it :laffo:
TBF, the Zombie Officer is the only actually misleading soul description in the game IIRC. There's some questionable translation on a bunch of enemy names, but the plot itself is fairly solid too.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 14, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nat's refusal to go up above the main room in the Dance Hall was funny, especially a video or two ago when he was complaining about the warp room to the save point being blocked by the Quetzalcoatl room.

The Cutall is actually a pretty good weapon IMO, because each swing hits twice. If you're not afraid of getting up close and personal that property coupled with its relatively fast swing speed and/or animation canceling can have some really impressive DPS.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The arm blocks attacks though, and it's usually positioned around the legs, so jumping can get you a better shot at it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shitenshi posted:

I can't remember, did Nat see the bad ending to Symphony first before unlocking the Inverted Castle? The way he's going about it with this game, I have a feeling this playthrough is going to be a lot more like Hollow Knight in getting and seeing all there is to do.
I'm pretty sure that Tea subtly guided Nat to the stuff he needed to do to get to the Inverted Castle in SOTN and they only ever got one ending there, which was defeating Dracula with less than 196% completion.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Balore is IMO the hardest boss in the game, and as has been mentioned before, those corridors before him are bullshit, the worst rooms in the game and the rewards aren't really worth the effort, I honestly am in full agreement with Nat just leaving. Going back in NG+ with 100% souls and the Chaos Ring doesn't even really make that room with the conveyors/spikes/Medusa Heads that much easier.

The Cutall (or another multi-hit weapon) does actually make the wrecking ball bit easier (or at least less tedious) though, because both hits add to the momentum of the ball.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Honestly, I generally prefer the horizontal-swinging weapons too, the vert-swing weapons generally tend to have less reach. I'm usually using Laevatain against Balore, for example. I do like to keep a vert-swing on me for the situations that they are better (mainly Flea Men and Medusa Heads IMO) and of course the Claimh Solais is the Best Weapon because it has basically all the advantages of both types of weapons and is Holy-elemental. I think the real reason why Nat hates vert-swing weapons with such an unyielding passion is because he's already conditioned himself to expect the animation cancel from the other type and that's what really gets him hit, when he doesn't have that instant mobility upon hitting the ground.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, I'd love to get a DS Castlevania collection on PS4 or the like, but I'm not sure how they'd handle the dumb touchscreen controls.
I'd actually imagine it's Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia that are holding up a release of a hypothetical DS collection over Dawn of Sorrow. The touchscreen element of Dawn is one mechanic that can be (and has been) fairly easily patched out, whereas both Portrait and Order have entire game modes heavily dependent on the touchscreen iirc.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like how Nat made the Jojo's reference on the Chronomage, when the time stop is a power that has been in the series literally since the first game. Then when he gets the Cagnazzo soul, which is literally a goddamn Jojo's reference - complete with "ORA ORA ORA!" - he doesn't try it out. Comedic timing is truly a subtle mastery.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gungnir is another weapon where the listed attack power is deceptive, because it hits 3 times per attack.

Those Final Guards are pretty tedious to kill, avoiding them is IMO the correct strategy. Now imagine grinding them for 100% souls... :shepicide:

Killer Mantle works best on the Golem and Minotaur types of enemies; it's very useful for soul grinding on them. Don't use it on a Succubus/Lilith or a Stolas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

By the way, the odd tiling in the background of the run up to the tower isn't a bug, at least as far as I can tell. I don't have a cartridge of this game to test on my GBA SP, but that shows up on both my copy of the Advance Collection and a completely unrelated rom + emulator setup.

This one is from my copy of the Advance Collection.

This was taken from mGBA with an Aria of Sorrow rom running.