Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_8VWrBZRdc

After 11 years, the leaders in anime about superheroes and product placement are back in action!

quote:

The series takes place in "NC 1978" in a fictional, re-imagined version of New York City called Stern Bild City, where 45 years before, superpowered individuals known as "NEXT" (an acronym standing for Noted Entities with eXtraordinary Talents) started appearing and some of them became superheroes. Each of the city's most famous superheroes work for a sponsor company and their uniforms also contain advertising for real-life companies. Their heroic activity is broadcast on the popular television show "Hero TV", where they accumulate points for each heroic feat accomplished (arresting criminals or saving civilians, for example) and the best ranked hero of the season is crowned "King of Heroes".

Airing as 25 episodes split into two cours, the first 13 episodes will premiere on Netflix on Friday April 8.

Kotetsu T. Kaburagi/Wild Tiger
Power: Hundred Power
Sponsor: Apollon Media
Voice Actor: Hiroaki Hirata/Wally Wingert

Barnaby "Bunny" Brooks, Jr.
Power: Hundred Power
Sponsor: Apollon Media
Voice Actor: Masakazu Morita/Yuri Lowenthal

Karina Lyle/Blue Rose
Power: Ice Manipulation
Sponsor: Titan Industry
Voice Actor: Minako Kotobuki/Kari Wahlgren

Ryan Goldsmith/Gold Ryan
Power: Gravity Manipulation
Sponsor: Titan Industry
Voice Actor: Yuichi Nakamura/Henry Dittman

Antonio Lopez/Rock Bison
Power: Impenetrable Skin
Sponsor: Kronos Foods
Voice Actor: Taiten Kusonuki/Aaron LaPlante

Keith Goodman/Sky High
Power: Wind Manipulation
Sponsor: Poseidon Line
Voice Actor: Go Inoue/Patrick Seitz

Huang Pao-Lin/Dragon Kid
Power: Lightning Manipulation
Sponsor: Odysseus Communication
Voice Actor: Mariya Ise/Cassandra Lee Morris

Ivan Karelin/Origami Cyclone
Power: Shapeshifting
Sponsor: Helperides Finance
Voice Actor: Nobuhiko Okamoto/Michael Sinterniklaas

Nathan Seymour/Fire Emblem
Power: Pyrokinesis
Sponsor: Helios Energy
Voice Actor: Kenjiro Suda/John Eric Bentley

Thomas Taurus/He Is Thomas
Power: Psychokinesis
Sponsor: ???
Voice Actor: Nobunaga Shimazaki/Josh Keaton

Subaru Sengoku/Mr. Black
Power: Barrier
Voice Actor: Shouya Chiba/Robbie Daymond

Lara Tsaikokaya/Magical Cat
Power: Water Manipulation
Voice Actor: Tomori Kusunoki/Corrina Boettger

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
finish zetman katsura, you gently caress

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I don't know what's more anime than a character having light purple hair in their day-to-day life and switching to blonde hair for their superhero persona.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Not gonna lie, am Kinda Hyped here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

One thing that's got me thinking is the dub. The original series had a few actors in its dub who went on to go really big and kinda move beyond anime dubbing, like Travis Willingham, Liam O'Brien, and Laura Bailey. But Netflix has a pretty good relationship and agreement with SAG-AFTRA with its dubs, and they pay a lot better for it than other companies, which is the main reason those big names tend to move on, so it's possible.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I never expected this would come back after so long but I'm hype af for it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay I wasn't expecting Golden Ryan to just be sticking around after The Rising lol.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

One thing that's got me thinking is the dub. The original series had a few actors in its dub who went on to go really big and kinda move beyond anime dubbing, like Travis Willingham, Liam O'Brien, and Laura Bailey. But Netflix has a pretty good relationship and agreement with SAG-AFTRA with its dubs, and they pay a lot better for it than other companies, which is the main reason those big names tend to move on, so it's possible.

Also regarding this, everyone is back EXCEPT Laura and Travis. Even Daran Norris as Mario, surprisingly enough!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm losing my poo poo that there's a hero named "HE IS THOMAS"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He's Thomas.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, he is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also like how Agnes has put on weight but it's not like...a joke or anything. She's just a bit bigger.

E: Also I'm noticing there's a lot more Bandai Namco sponsors on the suits, like SH Figuarts, Bandai and Namco themselves, Pac-Man, Premium Bandai. Probably a move to more future-proof at least part of the suit thing since those are internally owned brands and wouldn't have to necessarily worry about contracts running out.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 8, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like that Barnaby has taken up a Hobby.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
If my life has devolved into a dissociative nightmare where this is okay; this is okay, right?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay I wasn't expecting Golden Ryan to just be sticking around after The Rising lol.

Out of curiosity why? Also plan to add him to the OP?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I'm gonna be honest, half of it was it having been a while since I saw the Rising and forgetting that he existed, lol. It didn't help that we wasn't listed on the site or shown in a lot of the promotional material. For a while, guy kinda had the vibe of "movie exclusive character."

Also yes the OP has been updated with Ryan, English VOs, and the rookies' powers

E: Also, the "everyone is partnered up" dynamic they have going is pretty fuckin' smart, and even 4 episodes in, it's already giving us a few fun stories.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 8, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is it on US Netflix?

Aw heck, may need to resubscribe, then.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Netflix got the exclusive worldwide rights, yep.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda surprised that with it being a "Netflix Original" that one of the heroes doesn't have a Netflix logo. Anyway I didn't read the OP close enough and thought this was gonna be a weekly release. Very pleasantly surprised to see that it's out in full and on the weekend so I've got plenty of time to watch it all

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, not entirely full, there should be another batch of episodes coming out later, but yeah!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Did Sky High switch to IBM Cloud Video?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hearing more Unison Square Garden is always a treat. Cannot believe the movie guy gets to be in the cast for real.
Only finished the first episode so far, but I loving love it. It's like the show just kept going. loving Barnaby lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just realized that the dub cast has three separate Spider-Men in it. Yuri, Josh, and Robbie.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I just realized that the dub cast has three separate Spider-Men in it. Yuri, Josh, and Robbie.

Tiger & Bunny: No Way Home

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

YES FINALLY A ROCK BISON EPISODE

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
I've started watching, it's fun, I've missed those guys. The CG is quite bad though...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean it always was.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
I was hoping that after 11 years they could have learned to do a little better...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Quack posted:

I was hoping that after 11 years they could have learned to do a little better...

They watched Eva 3+1 and didn't realize they were loving with the viewers

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I also like how Agnes has put on weight but it's not like...a joke or anything. She's just a bit bigger.

I feel like this is a bit too generous to "Ryan almost makes a comment but is shushed" and "Saitou had to double take to recognize her" which happen in the first two episodes

but that's really my only misgiving so far. i like the new guys being here as new takes on the Tiger and Bunny dynamic and bringing some more explicit criticism of the corporatized heroes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I missed the Saito part but that seems to be about it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ryan was a dude from out of town with an insanely busted power (basically instant AOE incapacitation for anyone caught in it) who left Sternbild at the end of the movie because he realised he was a bit of a third wheel. Didn't seem like the sort of character who was written with long-term sustainability in mind.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

Ryan was a dude from out of town with an insanely busted power (basically instant AOE incapacitation for anyone caught in it) who left Sternbild at the end of the movie because he realised he was a bit of a third wheel. Didn't seem like the sort of character who was written with long-term sustainability in mind.

Well end of season stuff I have a feeling he will get more plot stuff, given the guy who looks like the next villain is from his backstory.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Is the movie/will the movie be on Netflix?

Also, the OP is still clearly shot to show off the corporate logos, so it still looks REALLY WEIRD in the Netflix version where they're edited out

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Both movies are currently on Netflix, though the first one is a recap. Only the second one is worth watching.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I went back and watched The Rising after watching the first episode of this season both because I had never seen it and because I knew that's where Golden Ryan came from but I figured he would be a movie only dude and nothing of particular consequence would happen. Turns out I was wrong on both parts!

It's funny how the brands honestly do become like superhero symbols in your subconscious (which is i guess the point and also slightly disturbing). Like S2 Ep1 I was like "hey things are different" and then went to the movie and saw Softbank on Tiger's chest and Blue Rose shilling for Pepsi again and was like "ah now everything's right again"

Anyway I'm 6 episodes in, so far I'm really liking it even if it's kind of dragging its feet introducing new characters which I guess makes sense since you kind of have to a little bit. I like that (very minor spoilers but not really) Mr. Black and Thomas are basically Tiger & Barnaby Jr. with Black being an experienced hero and Thomas being a little more pretentious and not really using a superhero alias at all (and it looks like he might have a tragic backstory like Barnaby too)

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
pretty solid first 13 eps. that lady author shown everywhere has to be ouroboros' boss right? i'm guessing her power is future sight

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Relin posted:

pretty solid first 13 eps. that lady author shown everywhere has to be ouroboros' boss right? i'm guessing her power is future sight

Now that you say it, that sounds like the right idea. She kept appear in ads and stuff, so she has to be important in some way.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Episode 3 is so loving funny. God bless you, Rock Bison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just got around to finishing up the (half)season. Assorted thoughts:

• I never thought about how weird it is that they but Rock Bison in the biggest bulkiest suit of all when his power is invincibility. But the Bison/Origami focus episode really made me question it. Like... why?
  • This series still hasn't had a proper Good Luck Mode yet and it bothers me. Where's the "3 2 1 over and out" huh?
  • I'm glad Magical Cat got to kinda redeem herself by killing a guy taking down Hugan after her choking being the whole reason Plan B failed.
  • I really expected Mugan to die from burning himself out and then Hugan shooting him in the head. Woulda been dark but hey so is Hugan getting impaled (well not all the way run through but still) on a fence and then dying from a headshot with their surrogate Illuminati dad
  • It feels like they really buffed Hundred Power a lot from the last series (maybe to make it be more effective when Tiger uses his minute?) but I have no problem with that as it didn't feel as strong as "100x stronger than normal" should feel, and I'm glad they're playing around with stuff like it amplifying their senses too. I don't remember them doing much with that before.

Anyway I think it's kind of interesting overall that they seem to be really making NEXT akin to mutants in Marvel with there being a big societal prejudice against them. I don't really recall that being much of a thing in the old series aside from the robotics guy in the finale who had a mad hate-on for them, but I guess that might be because most of the series' focus was with the heroes and you didn't get stuff like Kaede absorbing random useless powers from strangers or her friend with the weird gross neck thing.

edit: went ahead and spoiler tagged stuff. Even if the show's been out a bit, this is still the first page

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 22, 2022