Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I never expected this would come back after so long but I'm hype af for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda surprised that with it being a "Netflix Original" that one of the heroes doesn't have a Netflix logo. Anyway I didn't read the OP close enough and thought this was gonna be a weekly release. Very pleasantly surprised to see that it's out in full and on the weekend so I've got plenty of time to watch it all

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I just realized that the dub cast has three separate Spider-Men in it. Yuri, Josh, and Robbie.

Tiger & Bunny: No Way Home

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I went back and watched The Rising after watching the first episode of this season both because I had never seen it and because I knew that's where Golden Ryan came from but I figured he would be a movie only dude and nothing of particular consequence would happen. Turns out I was wrong on both parts!

It's funny how the brands honestly do become like superhero symbols in your subconscious (which is i guess the point and also slightly disturbing). Like S2 Ep1 I was like "hey things are different" and then went to the movie and saw Softbank on Tiger's chest and Blue Rose shilling for Pepsi again and was like "ah now everything's right again"

Anyway I'm 6 episodes in, so far I'm really liking it even if it's kind of dragging its feet introducing new characters which I guess makes sense since you kind of have to a little bit. I like that (very minor spoilers but not really) Mr. Black and Thomas are basically Tiger & Barnaby Jr. with Black being an experienced hero and Thomas being a little more pretentious and not really using a superhero alias at all (and it looks like he might have a tragic backstory like Barnaby too)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just got around to finishing up the (half)season. Assorted thoughts:

• I never thought about how weird it is that they but Rock Bison in the biggest bulkiest suit of all when his power is invincibility. But the Bison/Origami focus episode really made me question it. Like... why?
  • This series still hasn't had a proper Good Luck Mode yet and it bothers me. Where's the "3 2 1 over and out" huh?
  • I'm glad Magical Cat got to kinda redeem herself by killing a guy taking down Hugan after her choking being the whole reason Plan B failed.
  • I really expected Mugan to die from burning himself out and then Hugan shooting him in the head. Woulda been dark but hey so is Hugan getting impaled (well not all the way run through but still) on a fence and then dying from a headshot with their surrogate Illuminati dad
  • It feels like they really buffed Hundred Power a lot from the last series (maybe to make it be more effective when Tiger uses his minute?) but I have no problem with that as it didn't feel as strong as "100x stronger than normal" should feel, and I'm glad they're playing around with stuff like it amplifying their senses too. I don't remember them doing much with that before.

Anyway I think it's kind of interesting overall that they seem to be really making NEXT akin to mutants in Marvel with there being a big societal prejudice against them. I don't really recall that being much of a thing in the old series aside from the robotics guy in the finale who had a mad hate-on for them, but I guess that might be because most of the series' focus was with the heroes and you didn't get stuff like Kaede absorbing random useless powers from strangers or her friend with the weird gross neck thing.

edit: went ahead and spoiler tagged stuff. Even if the show's been out a bit, this is still the first page

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 22, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

When in doubt, the go-to Watsonian answer for T&B is "some guy in marketing thought it looked cool."

Actually it's even better because in-universe it's probably the same

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
funny, you'd figure they'd show something new but oh well...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Very true, very true

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MorningMoon posted:

3 episodes down and the stakes are exactly what I was hoping for after the first cour. That first episode is everything I love about this show lol

Agreed. I'm also 3 episodes deep and am really digging it. Tiger's bad acting will never stop being funny. "drat IIIITTT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Finished the show last night. Man, what a finale! For a long while I thought I'd be able to predict the whole path the show was going down with standard anime tropes but they actually managed to pull a good twist out several times. My only real critique is that in a way, season 1 and season 2 feel like different shows, if only in relation to their treatment of NEXT.

Season 1 had them feel really unique, like there weren't that many beyond the heroes. Season 2 has them basically be like all the randos who have powers in MHA... until later when it has them become mutants from Marvel. There's a whole bunch of NEXT around, they just don't do anything. Which is fine! But it makes me think back to the episode in season 1 where it's revealed Kaede has powers and everyone's amazed but now in retrospect it's like... yeah, okay, of course she does, she's Tiger's daughter, kinda adds up. I remember people theorizing about how if Kotetsu's brother (who I guess just moved away between seasons since I don't remember him appearing this season at all) had magnetic powers because of the one scene where Kaede's making pots and pans fly around the kitchen randomly, but now given what we know about NEXT in season 2, it's just like, oh I guess she touched... basically any friend/neighbor/other person in town given that there are NEXT everywhere. It's just an odd choice but ultimately I'm fine with it.

Other assorted thoughts:

• I'm disappointed that much like JoJo's, the binge model of streaming (combined with the fact that MHA came along and really just cornered the "what if western superheroes but anime" market) really seems to have killed a lot of discussion about this show. Because this is the rare sequel that I'd say is better than the original, and the original was pretty good already!
  • They brought back so much stuff from the movie (Golden Ryan, all the villains cameo in the big prison fight) that I'm disappointed that the B-league got written off. I kind of expected/wanted a dramatic return of those guys when the whole city was going wild near the end there.
  • I kinda wish the show made me give more of a poo poo about Thomas. Like, he just seemed devoid of personality. I knew he'd come back and learn the real super power of teamwork by the end but it was all just too little too late imo.
  • I know his power is supposed to be Hundred Power but Wild Tiger's real super power is that mech suit. I mean I know it's always taking more beatings than a normal human body can withstand, but really by the end of the final episodes he'd either be paste on the pavement or burned to a skeleton if it he were back in his old uniform from season 1 episode 1.
  • Look, I know you can't take down the Illuminati in a day, but it's still a pretty interesting move to have Ouroboros still active at the end of the series. Like, are you guys banking on another season? You wrote Tiger out and Barnaby's on his last leg, almost literally, you kind of ended the show

But anyway, final fight didn't end with double good luck mode gently caress this show 0/10

Actually though,

Maera Sior posted:

I'm not sure what happened, but the production team finally managed to make a showseason with a proper storytelling structure and pacing and everything.

:yeah:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 25, 2022