Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'll buy a house here in the PNW and let natural shrubs and mosses take over the yard.
Matter of fact, we'll just have a dirt roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
ive been renting the same dump inthe hood for a decade and i can afford to pay good money to watch a house v. condo fight

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
condo living is nice but you will be surrounded by old people that HATE YOU and will absolutely complain to the condo board over dumb stupid trivial poo poo they wouldn't have to deal with if they moved into a home already.

funny enough i never had a problem with the college-aged kids in my building they complain about mostly because they understand if you talk to them.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
OP a lot of the responses in this thread will boil down to "can you afford a house or can you afford a house?" P much all the negatives of home ownership disappear if your mortgage vs income is a good ratio, lawn care is comparatively cheap, replacing roofs, boilers, whatever, is pretty quick and painless if it's already part of your budget and so on. Horror stories mostly boil down to people who can't really afford the place they live in because there's a lot of hidden costs associated with owning a home. The benefits are obvious to anyone who has stepped foot in a house and lived in an apartment so I don't think I really need to cover those.

Meanwhile condo ownership can provide a good means of getting out of the rent cycle but you're life is still gonna be largely the same as an apartment, with all the pros and cons. I've got several friends that went the condo route cause they live in bigger cities with impossibly high home ownership costs and while it's preferable to renting for them they have all the same grievances you'd expect with an apartment.

If you can afford it, go for a home, if you can afford it in the conceivable future probably save for a home and hope the current inflation subsides, if your options based on where you live and your occupation are rent for forever or get a condo then go the condo.

Note: my advice is terrible because my wife and I are super lucky to have basically bought the dip between the last bubble and our current one, so our mortgage and rates are negligible compared to the home value and we'd literally never be able to afford the same place if we were looking to buy now.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
3Olives owns a condo, take that as you will

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hitler owned a home, it was called the reichstag, and it caught on fire and insurance didn't cover it. not saying that's why he shot himself, but i'm not ruling it out either.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Land, Katie Scarlet…

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
a nice studio condo here costs ~450k kill me lol

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

If you think home ownership is out of reach, wait til you start pricing burial plots!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I.C. posted:

If you think home ownership is out of reach, wait til you start pricing burial plots!

all you gotta do is die in a way that destroys your identifiable features, and the cost becomes the state's problem

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

I.C. posted:

wait til you start pricing burial plots!

thats not my problem

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Bad Purchase posted:

all you gotta do is die in a way that destroys your identifiable features, and the cost becomes the state's problem

Potter’s Field, baby! :hfive:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wanna get a Real Tetha and live in a space station like the jetsons and upload lasagnas. :munch:

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
who the gently caress is 3 olives

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

ellasmith posted:

lurk more.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

ellasmith posted:

A goon who lives in a condo.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

ellasmith posted:

Uh, hes a human, normal amount of arms and legs, probably has hair, a stapes in his ears, his condo interior looks bad and is decorated poorly.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I also live in a condo and neighbors suck rear end

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Buy a house so it’s one less house Zillow or Blackrock can buy up and turn into a rental.

Also buy a house so you can have a dog 🐶

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
how can a lawn be so complicated? i have a lawn, it just fuckin grows. it's grass, it's good at that.

biggest problem I have with the lawn is right now a tulip has somehow managed to appear in the middle of it and I have to decide whether I'm going to mow around it (because it looks nice) or just say idgaf and cut it.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

big piles of grass are the most work for the worst look possible on top of being bad for whatever tiny amounts of wildlife are still riding along with us to the apocalypse

hire people to get rid of all your grass and replace it with rocks and native plants in a way that looks good and requires like 1/20th the maintenance of constantly mowing poo poo or do it yourself if you have a lot of spare weekends and willpower.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hammerite posted:

how can a lawn be so complicated? i have a lawn, it just fuckin grows. it's grass, it's good at that.

biggest problem I have with the lawn is right now a tulip has somehow managed to appear in the middle of it and I have to decide whether I'm going to mow around it (because it looks nice) or just say idgaf and cut it.

Is there somewhere else in the yard you can transplant it to? Seems a shame to chop it.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Mowing a lawn is one of the things I miss most about home ownership. It was always such a calming experience. Lawn and plant care in general rules.

Buying a small condo next month, but due to the layout it only has one shared wall, with no one above/below me. Can’t loving wait. Done with this apartment nonsense.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

A really good Home Owner's Association is a great place to start, and then use that as a baseline for what you invest in from there.

You will want to visit the neighborhood you're thinking of buying into unannounced, so you can get a good idea of who you're gonna be living with for the next 20 to 30 years of your mortgage.

Setting up an appointment to view a place is fine and all, but you don't want anyone to know you're coming so you can get a better idea of who's there and how they will be living.

A home will give you a piece of property that you'll have to make repairs on and maintain, if you're good with your hands, you can save a lot of money by doing as much of it yourself as you can.

If you don't want to bother, a condo generally has provisions for maintenance and upkeep for an extra cost, so you don't have to bother with cutting grass, raking leaves, or shoveling snow for example- something to definitely ask about when searching.

A Home Owner's Association means you will give up some of your control over how you can live (noise ordinances, can't work on your car outside in some cases, etc- ask questions, get it all in writing) but it also gives YOU peace of mind with regards to being able to control assholes you may end up living with.

Good luck!

Absolutely do not follow this advice. HOAs are the most tedious rear end bullshit. You're essentially paying fees on top of your mortgage to live in a community full of busy body dipshits.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Peggy Edson posted:

Absolutely do not follow this advice. HOAs are the most tedious rear end bullshit. You're essentially paying fees on top of your mortgage to live in a community full of busy body dipshits.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

fishing with the fam posted:

Mowing a lawn is one of the things I miss most about home ownership. It was always such a calming experience. Lawn and plant care in general rules.

You're a loving loser

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Peggy Edson posted:

do you own a home? because lol if you're just barking when the "someone mentioned HOA" bell rings

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

do you own a home? because lol if you're just barking when the "someone mentioned HOA" bell rings

Yes

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
and its not in minecraft?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

You can get homes in final fantasy 14 too not just minecraft

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

20 Blunts posted:

You're a loving loser

Looks like someone could use a calming pruning routine.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

sweet thursday posted:

Condos are poo poo. Buy a house

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

Check out mr president of the HOA here lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
owning a condo seems so weird. it's like owning something that's never actually yours and is basically a big apartment slammed up against someone elses and then take everything bad about an HOA and multiply it without even the normal recourse of burning everyone's homes and families down if things don't go your way, since their condos are glued to yours

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Nooner posted:

Check out mr president of the HOA here lol

Can you point to the Barbie Dream House where the HOA touched you?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

with the cost of living increases my current plans are to go live in a ditch OP

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

fishing with the fam posted:

Looks like someone could use a calming pruning routine.

i worked as a professional arborist for 7 years

its not that i think youre a loser, i just want to drop a big 6 foot oak log right in the middle of your lawn from 50 feet in the air

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Khanstant posted:

owning a condo seems so weird. it's like owning something that's never actually yours and is basically a big apartment slammed up against someone elses and then take everything bad about an HOA and multiply it without even the normal recourse of burning everyone's homes and families down if things don't go your way, since their condos are glued to yours

not like you can ever own a house either

you have to pay taxes on it forever

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Is there somewhere else in the yard you can transplant it to? Seems a shame to chop it.

I don't have much confidence in my ability to touch a plant without causing it to wither and die, but I could try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I live in an apartment which is basically the same as a condo except I have a landlord and I can't sell my apartment when I decide to move. Also paper thin walls so I hear all the fighting and loving of my neighbors.