Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

20 Blunts posted:

i want to drop a big 6 foot oak log right in the middle of your lawn from 50 feet in the air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

I’d like a 15 year mortgage on the most reasonably priced place possible to pay off in hopefully less than that, entirely for financial reasons

worst case scenario I own an adequate living space of some sort keeping the cost of living extremely affordable the rest of my life

medium case like it goes up in value allowing me to some extent offset inflation in my net worth

best case, I don’t know sell for something fancier?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I used to have a house. Now I have a condo. Both are good and suck in different ways.

The condo is too small for what is now 4 people. The HOA fee is too high ($330/month). I don't like having my car outside all the time. Everyone in our dev owns a loving dog and there is constant barking and shushing of dogs.

The house was bad because 1) septic system with shallow water table so anxiety every time it rained hard 2) mowing the lawn is stupid and so is raking leaves. I got a bad back and it's dangerous (potentially expensive) for me to do either of those things.

We're gonna save a bit and go back to the house route (get a plot of land & build modular) in area with public water because I'm never doing septic again. I'll replace the lawn with rocks or whatever because gently caress a lawn.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I would personally go for the house. I’m slowly building a list of trusted contractors for mine. With a condo it might be good if you get a good one but I used to live across the street from a bunch of million dollar condos and they had contractors making tons of noise and when I’d slam the window closed I’d see the condo people looking out their windows helpless to stop the racket.

I wondered why they’d put up with such a thing until I discovered the HOA belonged to the property group until the last condo in the building was sold.

They had a bunch of empty units not on the market and they were getting rented out as Airbnbs. So basically the property management company was creating artificial scarcity keeping most of their empties off the market to prop up the price of their unsold units and then was getting the tenants to pay for cleaning and maintaining hotel rooms. I don’t remember what the HOA fees were but they were higher than what I’d paid renting a 2 bedroom apartment a lot of places.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
If I owned a home I would continue to rent and let houseless people live in my home

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Eventually I’ll get tired of mowing the lawn and fixing the leaky pipe under the sink. When I retire it’ll be condo time.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

kntfkr posted:

I'll replace the lawn with rocks or whatever because gently caress a lawn.

Got small patch of grass in front and back yards big enough for dog to do this thing on but small enough to take an old school pushmower to em real quick, rest is rocks/drought resistant stuff. It loving owns that is the way to do it

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

id like to own a hondo one day

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
sharing roof maintenance and landscaping maintenance costs with strangers sounds like an annoying thing to do at a minimum

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sharing roof maintenance and landscaping maintenance costs with strangers sounds like an annoying thing to do at a minimum

it can be annoying but it can pay off sometimes too. on my condo property the decades old concrete stormwater drainage pipe was crumbling and needed replacement. one of my neighbors is a lawyer who was able to argue that since the property next door drains onto our property and this additional water load was partially responsible for the poor condition of the pipe, those neighbors who are in the adjoining city were liable for poor stormwater control. and since they were subject to city jurisdiction and the city failed to prevent water from coming onto our property, the city was also liable. it was a longshot but the city came out using department of water trucks and fixed our storm drains at cost to settle the case, which saved us tens of thousands of dollars in concrete and excavation work

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I've never owned a condo but I own a house, and I hope to never go back to sharing walls/floors/ceilings with people ever again.

Our current house we bought in 2009 with basically zero money, now that our careers have advanced quite a bit we are looking to move in a few years to something bigger.

I want something with a bit of land (at least an acre) and zero neighbors. The older I get and the more crazy the world gets, the more I just want to be away from people, just not too far away from stores/school/etc.

Yes, lawn is a pain in the rear end and yes when something breaks it's your responsibility, but youtube is a fantastic resource for home repair/appliance repair stuff and mowing the lawn can be a pretty zen experience (though I pay someone to do mine now).

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I just bought a bunch of clover seed mix to start the process of de-lawning the lawn.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I can't imagine getting a condo unless it's largely brand new and I was planning on leaving soon. Condo fees high? gently caress you're never gonna be able to sell the place. Condo fees low? gently caress, the condo association isn't planning for the inevitable 6 figure replacement of every patio in the building.

poo poo's broken in the common property that's only your problem? Good luck getting the association to pay.
poo poo's broken in the common property that's common? Condo association is getting right on that. annnny daaaay now.

Go to a single GA meeting. Hear the words "property value" more times than any person deserves to in a lifetime.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also you can have a workshop or garage if you have a house and make all the noise you want with power tools in there

i'm building a desk and next up is a big picnic-style table

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Nooner posted:

Got small patch of grass in front and back yards big enough for dog to do this thing on but small enough to take an old school pushmower to em real quick, rest is rocks/drought resistant stuff. It loving owns that is the way to do it

is that pretty common in cali

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Own a house. It's expensive as hell.
Sometimes it sucks rear end but most of the time it rules.

Got one passive-aggressive neighbor but they're old as gently caress and gonna die soon.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also you can have a workshop or garage if you have a house and make all the noise you want with power tools in there

i'm building a desk and next up is a big picnic-style table

I'm building a workbench next week after I clean out the garage and tear down the existing workbench that was built for the previous owner that was 6'7. Can't wait!

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
Based on the replies so far I’m starting to think a condo would suck.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

kntfkr posted:

is that pretty common in cali

Not crazy common, but definitely becoming more of a thing as we continue the never ending drought. Most of my neighbors have full large lawns, but neighborhood was built in the 90s. Im pretty sure it is/will be the trend for new developments though

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Nooner posted:

Same, my lawn is small and pitiful and covered in dog poo poo.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I used to live in a condo and it is loving terrible. Its the same as being in an apartment except everyone is an entitled rear end in a top hat about common area usage and maintenance.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

chainchompz posted:

I live in an apartment which is basically the same as a condo except I have a landlord and I can't sell my apartment when I decide to move. Also paper thin walls so I hear all the fighting and loving of my neighbors.

The trick is to coordinate your own loving and fighting with your neighbours so you can leech off their psychic energy

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

FogHelmut posted:

Same, my lawn is small and pitiful and covered in dog poo poo.

Pick up the dog poo poo

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Peggy Edson posted:

Absolutely do not follow this advice. HOAs are the most tedious rear end bullshit. You're essentially paying fees on top of your mortgage to live in a community full of busy body dipshits.

You can find a sane HOA. Our neighborhood has a park with a basketball court and a playground for example, that's paid for with the fees, and there's a lot of communal landscaping also paid for. There's no real cumbersome rules, actually a lot of the rules are kinda nice because they prevent everyone from parking their boats/rv's curbside for extended periods of time. Really the only negatives I can think of is they'll complain if we let out dandelions get out of control (why does everyone hate dandelions?) and we'd have to ask our neighbors if we hypothetically wanted to paint out house a different color. The fee's are p minimal and the expense reports are public so you can see that they spent money on fixing the sidewalk or w/e and go "yup that seems reasonable".

naem posted:

I’d like a 15 year mortgage on the most reasonably priced place possible to pay off in hopefully less than that, entirely for financial reasons

worst case scenario I own an adequate living space of some sort keeping the cost of living extremely affordable the rest of my life

medium case like it goes up in value allowing me to some extent offset inflation in my net worth

best case, I don’t know sell for something fancier?

We have the money to pay off our mortgage today but it'd be stupid to do so because the rates are less than 3% and you can typically expect to earn more than that in even the most mundane of investments. By all means if a shorter mortgage is part of the deal to get a lower rate go for it but if you can get the same rate regardless you're way better off just dumping the money into index funds or whatever.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 9, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Pick up the dog poo poo

no

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

ArbitraryC posted:

You can find a sane HOA. Our neighborhood has a park with a basketball court and a playground for example, that's paid for with the fees, and there's a lot of communal landscaping also paid for. There's no real cumbersome rules, actually a lot of the rules are kinda nice because they prevent everyone from parking their boats/rv's curbside for extended periods of time. Really the only negatives I can think of is they'll complain if we let out dandelions get out of control (why does everyone hate dandelions?) and we'd have to ask our neighbors if we hypothetically wanted to paint out house a different color. The fee's are p minimal and the expense reports are public so you can see that they spent money on fixing the sidewalk or w/e and go "yup that seems reasonable".

My neighborhood also has a nice park with a playground and baseball diamond. it is paid for and maintained by the taxes i pay to the city :shrug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i've known a bunch of people irl who are part of HOAs, and not a single one is/was happy about it.

the only happy stories i hear are from people online, who i assume are trying to trick everyone else into thinking it's not so bad so they can find a buyer willing to buy into an HOA next time they move.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Nooner posted:

My neighborhood also has a nice park with a playground and baseball diamond. it is paid for and maintained by the taxes i pay to the city :shrug:

That sounds great and really the ideal solution, but that wasn't really an option here. The only public parks around are basically all off the rivers here, and the riverfront properties are $$$$$$$$$, so if you want to live in neighborhood that has nice sidewalks, landscaping, and a park while not being a millionaire, pooling together through an HOA is your only option.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Imagine buying property and a bunch of old retired weirdos get to decide what you can and can't do with it, and they can fine you and poo poo lol. sounds absurd to me.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Imagine buying property and a bunch of old retired weirdos get to decide what you can and can't do with it, and they can fine you and poo poo lol.

this is actually a quote from the united states constitution

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Bad Purchase posted:

i've known a bunch of people irl who are part of HOAs, and not a single one is/was happy about it.

the only happy stories i hear are from people online, who i assume are trying to trick everyone else into thinking it's not so bad so they can find a buyer willing to buy into an HOA next time they move.

I've heard HOA horror stories all my life and thought the idea of being restricted in what you could do with your own property was ridiculous if I were to ever hypothetically own property. But really a small community working together to form rules everyone likes doesn't have to be a bad thing, that's basically how SA moderation works. I might just be lucky. I don't really get involved in the politics of it and we've never really been hassled outside of dandelions. I probably want to replace the fence in the back yard in the next couple of years tho so who knows that could become a nightmare as that would involve two houses behind us and one on each side.

You just gotta take the good with the bad, like sure people demanding your lawn look nice is kind of annoying, but it's also nice to walk around the neighborhood with perfectly manicured shrubbery. That we have sidewalks on both sides of the streets is rare for this area and so despite being a single entrance/exit neighborhood we get tons of random people strolling through on walks with their family/dogs because it's a real nice place to walk. And there are some rules that I'm sure other people find annoying that I absolutely love, like if we didn't prohibit boats/rvs from being parked in the street for extended periods of time they'd be everywhere and constantly in the way because basically everyone in the neighborhood has them.

Houses go on sale here and get picked up in less than 24 hours, the home is worth about double from when we got it. It's literally a miracle I get to live here and I'm never leaving lmao.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 9, 2022

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

ArbitraryC posted:

how SA moderation works.

:roflolmao::xd::xd::xd::hmbol:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I bought a house slightly out in the boonies last year and it was the best decision I’ve never made. My yard is massive and it’s filled with wild chickens and rabbits and no weird neighbors stomping above me.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

A lot of it comes down to how much you want to interact with your neighbors.

If you can afford a house (and land) then it gives you more choices on the level of interaction.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

DONKEY SALAMI posted:

A lot of it comes down to how much you want to interact with your neighbors.

If you can afford a house (and land) then it gives you more choices on the level of interaction.

This was the primary consideration for our third and hopefully final home purchase, sure we have an HOA but we also have had hell neighbors the first two homes, and having some provisions in place for noise ordinances and such is a huge plus but having as much distance between us and a neighbor was of paramount importance.

I have service connected PTSD and have no time or patience for other people's bullshit, so I consider it a service to my community to stay the gently caress away from everyone.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

You get all this from your property taxes too lmao

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Peggy Edson posted:

You get all this from your property taxes too lmao

ArbitraryC posted:

That sounds great and really the ideal solution, but that wasn't really an option here. The only public parks around are basically all off the rivers here, and the riverfront properties are $$$$$$$$$, so if you want to live in neighborhood that has nice sidewalks, landscaping, and a park while not being a millionaire, pooling together through an HOA is your only option.

Property taxes don't just magically spring up amenities that are functionally available to you. You're paying for parks sure, but parks you get to consistently use is another matter.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Honestly the walls here must be pretty thick cause I never hear my neighbors loving. Can't have everything I guess.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

A condo is just an apartment you can’t easily ditch. I remember renting an apartment and looking longingly at condos thinking they must have thicker walls and floors, less noise between units, less poo poo breaking/leaking, and less bugs and poo poo. They’ve got to be nicer, right? Nope! They’re exactly the same, either built by the same companies that built apartments, or in some cases a building may have even started off as apartments before being switched to condos. Same poo poo, more liability.

Owning a house sucks because poo poo breaks pretty regularly and you have to learn to be your own handyman/handywoman or go broke hiring people. HOAs suck, because all they do is bug you about bullshit, and then when your roof leaks and you need to replace it, they make you get Board approval, but drag their feet. It took me 31 days to get my roof approved, and I made clear to them that I needed the work done ASAP because there was a leak.

Strip naked and walk into the wilderness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Honestly the walls here must be pretty thick cause I never hear my neighbors loving. Can't have everything I guess.

I had a neighbor in the apartment above me who I could hear loving, it’s not that fun. Especially when they come home after bar-close, gently caress, then start vacuuming at 4am.

Also, if you can hear your neighbors loving, then they can probably hear you loving. :chloe: