Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole labyrinth sequence is probably primarily a reference to Labyrinth Zone, right? (Of course, the Master Emerald being there, and Robotnik stealing it, makes it more obviously equivalent to Hidden Palace Zone) Actually do like that they took the games mostly as visual inspiration without trying to incorporate the already incredibly vague setting more than thematically. Weirdly enough the makeshift snowboard sequence actually makes more sense with how what became Sonic 3 & Knuckles was originally designed- iirc, the door that Sonic knocks off escaping from the Flying Battery woulda been used as a makeshift snowboard for the opening of Ice Cap Zone.

Makes sense that they're moving pretty quickly into the 3D era of the games what with the Shadow reveal, and GUN given that's where you actually start getting more of a plot and characters you can work with rather than just the same stock plot about all the 2D games have.

BioEnchanted posted:

Something with these movies that I like is the status quo it establishes between them. I always love the idea of the Wide Open Secret where the Government are officially like "This isn't happening, we are covering it up" but literally everyone else knows and gives no fucks. It's just such a fun premise, especially when the things being covered up are well liked among the community. It's a relatively rare setup, the only recent things I can think of that does similar stuff right now is (finale for a recent 3 season cartoon on Netflix)Kid Cosmic and the third season of Amphibia.

There was also a version in the old Dan Akroyd movie Coneheads that was fun where the government person only cared because he was forced to because his bosses wouldn't allow him to get promoted until he closed their case properly, he was totally willing to just swan off to another office and ignore the title characters despite them being undocumented because he didn't really give a gently caress in the end.

It's just one of my favourite setting types.

Gets interesting since it seems like the abovementioned Shadow reveal suggests that the authorities HAVE been aware of the possibility of the wider world but actively buried and forgot it a generation ago. And Robotnik's grandfather might as in the games be involved.

Also, just read the tie-in comic, and the Agent Stone bit really is interesting. The instructions that Robotnik left are dripping with his usual contempt for everything, but they also demonstrate why he's nonetheless dangerous, because he still knows what he's doing. And I think illustrates something Robotnik probably does like in Stone- the same behaviour that makes anyone put up with Robotnik in the first place: he makes himself useful. He's introduced as a feared and loathed but terrifyingly effective agent of the US government, willing and able to do things that even they find disturbing, and makes a point of helping Knuckles out right from when they meet and only inevitably betraying him at the last moment. Much like how Stone makes a point to be helpful to Robotnik, in the little ways and big ones. And much like Robotnik, Stone makes himself useful to the coffee shop management and staff right until he's in position to betray them and take over, keeping on the last staff member who's easy to boss around.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I want the Sonic 3 movie to basically play out like Godzilla vs Kong: silly action where the two characters (Sonic and Shadow) fight each other, and then have to team up at the end to take down Mecha Sonic.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Hopefully Shadow is dual wielding real world guns, like he does in the critically acclaimed Shadow the Hedgehog on the original Xbox.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

really enjoyed what seemed like a Sonic Boom-inspired portrayal of Knuckles, was a little letdown that we didn't get a quick joke from Tails about him not being able to carry Sonic all day or something (I don't count his "you're heavier than I thought" comment to Knuckles).

I think the only thing that would've made it even better is if Holkenborg had found a way to work some of the level themes into the soundtrack, I certainly found myself humming Ice Cap Zone to myself (and also Wing Fortress) but it was still good music.

not sure what they're going to do with Shadow but I did chuckle when that teaser came up, again because I'm curious how they're going to approach his character