Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Motronic posted:

This is so much better than trying to turn the town water plant into a residence.

(wow it's been a long time since I watched those)

I think my favorite was the guy building a giant mansion out of earth/adobe, one layer at a time (i.e. like 3D printing only with mud bricks/straw). There was no reason, he just wanted to build a mansion out of mud I think because it was "the cheapest way" since the building material is easily available, don't have to pay anyone for it! Which makes perfect sense if you value your time at zero. Naturally the build was....not going quickly, and his wife clearly was already fed up (and maybe had already left him by the end of the episode when they check back in a year or whatever? At which point he was of course still nowhere close to done).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

BonerGhost posted:

Was he also doing a round house or am I conflating two of them?

I think you're right that it was round, or at least part of it was round, or maybe it was like a bunch of round masses bunched together?

All I remember is it looked like absolute poo poo because he wasn't a pro at adobe mud bricks by any means, had taken him forever, had destroyed his marriage, and it seemed like it was still gonna take another 10 years for him to complete it.

Also I don't remember how he was gonna protect it from the rain but it definitely didn't have much protection in its in-progress state, which in the UK.....yeah.

edit: haha he finally finished it
https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/homed/houses/113080045/grand-designs-uk-castle-built-of-mud-finished--but-theres-dirty-laundry

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 24, 2022

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Building up the support walls where necessary to support block flooring edges.

Need to put in place all the sewer receptacles as per earlier diagrams.

This is all pretty amazing to look at, living in a place where the concept of "build a house by just stacking blocks on each other with nothing holding them together except gravity" isn't in the realm of possibility due to the ground not being reliably in the same place at all times. I understand cutting blocks is a pain, but I'd take that in a heartbeat over not being able to use blocks at all, or if I did, having to use masonry fasteners to tie them all together. However, it looks like the space under the blocks for the pipes (which I'm also jealous of because you just plopped them down on the ground, looks like? Nothing holding them in place relative to the house either?) is basically just as tall as the pipes themselves. Is that an effect of photo angle, or is that space truly not much taller, i.e. it's not a crawlspace? So if pipes need to be fixed or relocated you have to pull up the floor/subfloor and the blocks below? Admittedly easier than cutting up and patching a concrete slab, but I would have thought still more annoying than having a crawlspace.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My experience of housebuilding is more nightmares.

But yeah we're in the past. Not sure I'd understand putting in two of all my sewers incase the first one broke? How would I guarantee my backup one didnt break first? And we'd just have backup toilets hidden behind walls that we'd have to knock through to and start using and block up the first toilets behind more hidden walls?

I am actually coming round to the idea...

The Can of Amontillado

(edit since you're British, going to the can is slightly uncommon American slang for bathroom, sorry, it's a pretty lovely joke)

edit2: :v:

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 6, 2022

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I keep telling myself this at every level of house but eventually... The house has to be visible

Not if you put it behind a spite fence!

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Wait what.

I thought I knew of all the British ways to gently caress up English, but...

CILL?

what in god's name

Listen I'm not gonna say that American English is any kind of paragon when it comes to spelling because obviously English as a whole is just a dumpsterfire of the most insane and constantly variable mappings of letters to phonemes, but this is ridiculous. Why would you spell the word with a C? Really jobbles my jimlets. Lootles my lorries. Puts a tic in my spotted dick.

Absurd.

Sorry for the interruption chaps back to talking about windows.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jaded Burnout posted:

The front fell off

Is that normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.