Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Wondering if anyone else has had experiences they thought they were honestly gone and 100% dead, no passing go? Can be ironic or serious I dont care
1. 11 years old fell into a pit full of sewerage with that black tarpolin so couldn't crawl out, it was full of snakes that got trapped, was in a forest. A friend grabbed my arm as I was sliding in and pulled me out.
2. A flight the turbulence was so bad I honestly thought it was over.
3. vommited so hard I couldn't breathe and thought I was going to suffocate for about 2 minutes.
4. Alcohol poisoning I definitely thought it was over

would like to hear your stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

at a young age i grasped the concept of mortality and realized that i would someday die

it's pretty hosed up

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Bad Purchase posted:

at a young age i grasped the concept of mortality and realized that i would someday die

it's pretty hosed up

you're already dead and bruce willis is your psychologist

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
Caught flesh-eating disease on my rear end cheek. Doc had to carve a bunch of dead flesh out and I was under sedation for five days. I was on so much prednisone and morphine and god knows what else when I was brought back I thought I was actually in hell, and the hospital had been abandoned and this was my fate, to be in a hospital bed on the edge of death. I thought I was going to die, and the walls were running blood.

Then five minutes later the walls were all purple plush, a music video was blasting on the big screen TV in my room and the nurses were dancing in the hallway with a bunch of flashing lights.

I was in an intensive care ward. None of this was happening.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I read this post

For real though I got T-boned by a car so hard I was facing the opposite way I was turning. Totaled my car. Airbags went off and I remember a guy from a business across the street pulling me out because I just sat there stunned out of my mind.

I had an ex literally strangle me until the only thought I had was 'if I don't choke him back I'm going to die'. Turns out I'm a better strangler than he is. He turned purple and his eyes started rolling back. I dropped him because I didn't want to kill him and called the cops. I guess I'm a narc.

I might have brain damage but I can't tell if it's from those events or this site.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I one time did a flip and a half in a soft top convertible.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I was born once and lemme tell ya, corporeal living isn't all its cracked to be.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I had a lump on my neck but it was just an inflamed lymph node

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Swimming in the ocean too little and dumb to know how tides work and tried to paddle back to shore and wasn’t getting anywhere and no one was paying much attention. Got worried then tried again and I guess I had moved away from the outgoing tide enough I got back to shore ok and refused to go very far out anymore. When I read about drownings in the news it’s like oh yeah it’s easy as hell to mess up.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Also swimming when I was 11-12. I wanted to dive down to this outlet pipe at a lake marina, so I filled up my swimsuit pockets with rocks and tied the drawstring super, duper tight. It worked. It worked almost too well.

Also I caught dengue fever in Costa Rica and had to spend 4ish days in the hospital. Imagine the absolute worst flu of your life.

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?
I Almost fell into a bonfire when I was nine but my mom grabbed me by starter jacket and pulled me back.

I Had appendicitis, which would have killed me a hundred years ago but turned out to not be that big of a deal

I caught a nasty virus in college that put me out of commission for about two weeks. I thought I was feeling better and went to a concert where I started feeling woozy and blacked out, repeatedly. I figured I was having a stroke or dying but long story short, I wasn't.

Got caught in a riptide boogie boarding and got a little tired before I realized it. I remembered to swim parallel, found another spot, and kept on boogyin' the rest of the afternoon.

Most recently, I was in Phoenix for work and had a green light to make a left turn onto this overpass that crosses both sides of the freeway and leads you straight into downtown. I was about half way through the intersection when this ambulance came flying up the freeway exit opposite me going about 45 or 50 miles an hour. I sped up, cut left, and was able to clear it by about a car length; if I had pumped the breaks or kept my course I'd have been a dead man for sure.

Mr_Companie fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 10, 2022

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
A few years ago had a rental car, driving down highway with ice patches in winter, no traffic near me, going straight at about 65 mph; the speed limit was 70. Always assumed accidents only really happen if you turn suddenly or hit the brake suddenly so you don't need to go real slow. But it was windy, and a huge blast of wind blew my car diagonal, and for the 10 - 15 seconds or so it took me to try to regain control, I assumed I might die here. There was traffic behind me but not close enough to be an issue, and I think some dry pavement patches helped me regain control. Still can't believe I managed to straighten out. I definitely slowed down after that.

The thing about how people say "time slows down" when you think you're going to die, I didn't really experience that. I definitely remember the experience, but it didn't seem like anything slowed down.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Naw time speeds up in those instances you gotta think 'fast and NOW' or else it's game over.

Icy roads suck but I always go slow, I'm pretty used to them. I don't even touch the interstates anymore and go out of my way to find a light to turn at. I start sweating really bad if I have to go off my route.

Man that accident really hosed me up I'mma talk to my therapist.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I was driving down a curve on the highway, a place I had been at hundreds of times before, and I don't remember if I hit something, or slipped in something, but the entire loving car does a 360. Over four lanes of traffic with multiple spins. I was on the far left when I started, and then ended up on the far right breakdown lane.

Somehow there had been no traffic going along while my car did probably 3 or 4 complete spins over the lanes like some cut from a Fast and Furious movie. Since most people did 70 on this stretch, had any hit me, we'd probably have had a few deaths that day.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Nearly lost consciousness from severe asthma attack in 5th grade but managed to recover with help from one of the girls who grabbed my spare inhaler for me while the teacher berated me for causing a scene.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

1992 my friend was driving us at night in his Nissan Z through some familiar east county San Diego roads at speed, suddenly I had the strangest most intense feeling, I told him to stop, stop, turn around and he did. I just had this indescribable feeling of absolute dread that came upon me out of nowhere, haven't felt anything similar 30 years later. On the way back we turned on the radio and learned that Sam Kinison had died.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got a bee sting and then a few days later I went for a run. When I got back I felt chills and itches all over and then my skin went kind of pale and yellow and a big lumpy rash spread across my torso, legs and arms in front of my eyes. Got tightness in my chest and I thought maybe I was having an anaphylactic reaction, my wife had the car at work so I had to call an ambulance. The rash and stuff calmed down while they were monitoring me and the chest tightness was probably me panicking. Later on I found a bite mark right at the epicentre of where the rash spread from so it wasn't even a reaction to the bee sting, it was probably a spider bite.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So when I was a teenager I went for a walk with my two older sisters. Beautiful autumn day, decided to walk a nice little dirt path between a treeline and field. Washington state, so there are tons of little nature paths that cut into the woods.

We step into one path and about 10-15 feet in, there's this little... bridge shack? Around 4 feet tall built over a stream. I was in front and musing about whether it was a homeless camp or a drug drop when I suddenly hear one of my sister's say, "Come on. Let's go NOW."

Turns out they had both looked back at the same time to see a man in a suit approaching us, his arms out in a bear hug pose. When they locked eyes, he turned on his heel and walked back out to the treeline.

My sisters had to pick me up and carry me across the field because I wasn't dressed for all the brambles. When we got to the road on the opposite side of the field, we looked back to see the man had met another man, also in a suit, and they were continuing along the treeline together.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

There are too many times to count. I've ended up in too many weird situations where my life was on the line. However, the most recent one was my first covid-19 infection at the end of 2019. I had what I thought was a bad flu for a few days then, during the night, I had a cough that wouldn't stop and ramped up fast to not being able to breathe. I thought it was an asthma attack but my blue inhaler wasn't working. After the 10th dose of Ventolin within an hour, I called 911 and I had gotten to the point that I couldn't say more than one word per breath. Finally, when the paramedics arrived, I am unable to walk on my own and felt like I was drowning on the inside to death. I had to be taken out on a stretcher and found out my blood oxygen level was around 75%

I ended up spending a week in the ICU and I didn't recover 100%, but as soon as I was able to go off oxygen and move around my room a bit, I was released prematurely since hospital beds were starting to fill up with people behaving respiratory problems, but were mostly in their 60s and 70s.

Looking back at it now, after a couple of years and 3 vaccines later, that I would have been dead from covid 19 if I had caught it a few months later when ICU beds were filling up. Also, if I had waited another 10 minutes for the ambulance to show up, I would have probably been found unresponsive.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 10, 2022

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
having mono

making GBS threads and vomiting and then drinking water and vomiting some more until you dry heave and then it just keeps happening as you taste your own bile

also an asthma attack where i had visions of the kabbalah. dunno how i pulled through that one, but here i am (still not Jewish haha f*CK u god)

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Nearly drowned in a swimming pool as a kid

Had a stomach flu so bad I was sitting in the shower, constantly making GBS threads water and vomiting up to the point that blood started to mix in with my vomit.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I opened this thread and thought "oh lordy this is it for me"

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Got caught in an undertow at a San Diego beach when I was 11. No matter how hard I swam or tried to get out of drowning, it seemed to pull me out further and deeper into the ocean. I honestly started seeing “the light” and could feel the life leaving my body until my head cleared the water, and just like that, I was able to swim back to shore after catching my breath. No one saw me, and I never mentioned it to my family for years after the fact. It was traumatizing.

I also happened to drink a whole bunch of fresh apple cider about 10 years ago and then went to bed. The cider must have been fermenting in my stomach and I must have been sound asleep because the cider traveled up my esophagus and filled my lungs. I instantly woke up, couldn’t breathe and ran as fast as I could to the front door and swung it open, hoping I could vomit it out. No dice. I had to pound my back as hard as I could on the wall to get the cider out of my lungs and back into my stomach. Nothing is scarier than trying to gasp for air and nothing happens. I’m leery of apple cider now, even though I love it so.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Das Boo posted:

So when I was a teenager I went for a walk with my two older sisters. Beautiful autumn day, decided to walk a nice little dirt path between a treeline and field. Washington state, so there are tons of little nature paths that cut into the woods.

We step into one path and about 10-15 feet in, there's this little... bridge shack? Around 4 feet tall built over a stream. I was in front and musing about whether it was a homeless camp or a drug drop when I suddenly hear one of my sister's say, "Come on. Let's go NOW."

Turns out they had both looked back at the same time to see a man in a suit approaching us, his arms out in a bear hug pose. When they locked eyes, he turned on his heel and walked back out to the treeline.

My sisters had to pick me up and carry me across the field because I wasn't dressed for all the brambles. When we got to the road on the opposite side of the field, we looked back to see the man had met another man, also in a suit, and they were continuing along the treeline together.

Jesus thats loving creepy. When you say suit do you mean a business suit or some kind of hazmat getup?

naem
May 29, 2011

while overseas I was driving a humvee and trying to keep up with the active duty marine engineers who were driving out to a work site, road maintenance or something, and I was super nervous about losing them and getting lost so when going around corners on a tiny one lane road with a steep drop off I went up on two wheels, with my right two dangling off into nothing. centrifugal force kept us on the road. would have been an embarrassing way to die.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Swimming in the ocean too little and dumb to know how tides work and tried to paddle back to shore and wasn’t getting anywhere and no one was paying much attention. Got worried then tried again and I guess I had moved away from the outgoing tide enough I got back to shore ok and refused to go very far out anymore. When I read about drownings in the news it’s like oh yeah it’s easy as hell to mess up.

Oh yeah I was out snorkeling off an island and the rip-tide got me, I tried to fight it and even go sideways and had scuba flippers on but ran out of energy, then luckily a boat came by and I waved for help and they took me in. Would 100% be dead if that boat didn't happen to come by.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Childbirth. Starters out ok, absolutely went to poo poo for the last 10 minutes. Everyone OK though, apart from my downstairs.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LizzieBorden posted:

Childbirth. Starters out ok, absolutely went to poo poo for the last 10 minutes. Everyone OK though, apart from my downstairs.

What happened? 12 pound baby that came out sideways?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

near head-on collision from being forced out of my lane into oncoming traffic

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
One of the times I was on safari an elephant did what we thought at the time was a mock charge against our open top Land Cruiser, someone we brought along took this photo of it as it was happening.

It was not a mock charge, the elephant lifted the car up, pushed against a tree so hard that the tree broke and took the truck axle along with it and then completely pummeled the truck, ripping pieces off of it and throwing them dozens of feet. Don't know why it decided to back off on us.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

This.

Also, turbulence on a flight from Japan back to the US that was so bad that I thought mermaids were hitting us with anti-aircraft fire. Lasted 4 hours, JFC.

In the early days of rona, I think I got the OG version but couldn't get tested or admitted to the hospitals because tests were being rationed and the hospitals were full. I didn't have shortness of breath, trouble breathing, or any of the more common symptoms, but my heart rate and blood pressure were well into stroke territory. After that I had about two weeks of fatigue and migrates, so whatevs.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

AcidCat posted:

1992 my friend was driving us at night in his Nissan Z through some familiar east county San Diego roads at speed, suddenly I had the strangest most feeling, I told him to stop, stop, turn around and he did. I just had this indescribable feeling of absolute dread that came upon me out of nowhere, haven't felt anything similar 30 years later. On the way back we turned on the radio and learned that Sam Kinison had died.

Wow, crazy how you almost died

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Beard Dandruff posted:

Jesus thats loving creepy. When you say suit do you mean a business suit or some kind of hazmat getup?

Average-rear end business suit. If it was hazmat, I woulda barreled through the briars and into a hospital, holy hell.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

AcidCat posted:

1992 my friend was driving us at night in his Nissan Z through some familiar east county San Diego roads at speed, suddenly I had the strangest most intense feeling, I told him to stop, stop, turn around and he did. I just had this indescribable feeling of absolute dread that came upon me out of nowhere, haven't felt anything similar 30 years later. On the way back we turned on the radio and learned that Sam Kinison had died.

lol the only time in your life you felt that supernatural dread terror and its about Sam Kinison like you had a psychic link with him and felt his death reverberate through the ether.

squid pro quo
Nov 11, 2018
I was surfing and paddling to catch a wave that was way too big for me. Imagine laying on a board on your stomach and rowing in the direction the wave is going. The wave caught my legs, bent them upwards and forward, basically trying to fold me in half backwards, and pulled me under. My first thought was that my back was broken. The second was that I was going to drown if I can’t use my legs to swim back. The wave spit me out a few seconds later, not too far from the beach, and my legs were working enough for me to swim and stumble out of the water.

It turns out my back was not broken, only hyperextended. 6 months of physical therapy later I was able to stand again.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Hyrax Attack! posted:

its this

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
about a year ago, I was bleeding internally, I didn't really know it.

I had some nasty poos (black), and was just like whatever. I had passed out on the weekend, and smashed my head into the bathroom wall.

Well it ended up one evening at work I went to leave for the day, and was about to faint. So I sat in a chair near the office door. I closed the door, and ended up on the floor, not really sure what was happening, other than I giggled. I made my way back to my desk, trying to psych myself up to drive home.

Luckily, someone I knew was on duty that day, and walked by and said I don't look so good. I got up from my chair to tell him, 'naw, i'm good. Just tired.' and immediately tripped on nothing and fell on the floor.

My plan before all of this was, if I was too woozy to drive, I was just going to sleep in my backseat of my car.

Well, he called 911, and the ambulance came, and all that mess. So the military are all in the digi-cam, and that poo poo is NOT easy to focus on when you're out of it.

Found out my blood pressure was around 60/40, and I was pretty close to dying. I had bled out enough without doing anything about it that I lost about 2 liters of blood. It was caused from alcohol use and an abuse of the headache powders, presumptively.
If i had managed to get to my car's backseat. I probably would of died that night.

So, about 4-5 days in the hospital, with the restriction to my bed, and multiple blood infusions. A couple colonoscopies, they found a tear in my upper intestine? (whatever part connects to the stomach). Had a couple nights where they had to wake me up every 15 minutes to get readings and poo poo. My IV constantly went off, and I just watched them do it. At some point I was clearing my own alarms (it was basically if I moved my arm too much it happened). I had two IVs in either arm, and another line on my left arm, for who the gently caress knows.

So, nowadays, no headache powder (unless I really want to, but i waaay space it out), and I'm not allowed any NSAIDs. Basically, plain tylenol is the only thing I'm supposed to take.

And I had to have finger in my butt, at least 4 times. It wasn't super enjoyable.
And, some lady from work showed up (we were kinda close, tho), and I had no idea who she was at first.

So cue, everyone at work (a command of about 700 people in our building) asking if I was okay, when I came back.

-- Not only that, about 2 years prior, I had a seizure in a comms closet, and again was sent out via ambulance.
-To be fair, I've been there forever, and with my 'incidents' being known, I can kinda do whatever I want, and get away with it :lol:

I also had a fall in the pool moment when I was like 3-4, and I only remember getting CPR from a pretty lifeguard. but i was okay. I was just trying to feel the water with my foot, and being the dumb young kid with no sense of balance *splash*

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 10, 2022

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Flavahbeast posted:

I had a lump on my neck but it was just an inflamed lymph node

same but it was a knot in my vest

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

crispix posted:

same but it was a knot in my vest

did you escape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
These are good stories. I have been frightened and even been choked with just a pinch to my neck. I never thought I was going to die.

Fun to have those nightmares where your brain is slightly awake and yet you are still in dream formation and poo poo becomes real.