Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Blacked out 40 feet underwater while scuba diving. Woke up breathing water with no one around me and thought "this is it". Woke up again getting loaded into an ambulance and puking and then spent a week on a ventilator. I miss the hobby, spent so much time doing it, just one really bad experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Lascivious Sloth posted:

How did you black out? did you go up/down too fast? How did the get you up after you blacked out while also making sure you ascend without causing the bends?

Lost my reg after bumping into something I couldn't see and recovered it. Blacked out while trying to calm the hell down and breathe. Panic sucks I guess. Someone fished me out and they flew me halfway across the state to get me to a decompression chamber that I didn't end up needing. No idea how I didn't get bent, but I get nosebleeds almost every week for the last three years and I lost half the hearing in one of my ears and have to wear a hearing aid now. Oh and a few episodes of panic when accidentally locked in a small dark room and I can't find a light switch.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Oh drat. are you sure you can't do more decompression chambers? Sounds like your cavities are hosed. Yeah freaking out down that far is pretty bad. Was it low visibility? That is kinda ironic they flew you out for the incident - aren't you NOT supposed to fly a day or two after scuba. 40 metres is pretty drat far down for an emergency ascent.

It's been three years almost to the day. The doctors said the nosebleeds are because they didn't humidify my oxygen when I was in it. I was completely out when they flew me around on their $40,000 medical helicopter tour around the state. When I woke up I didn't know what planet or city I was in. Also, feet, not meters. Was probably fine for a no decompression limit. I really have no idea how I'm alive at this point to be honest. Almost feel like I need to get back into the hobby and take the stress and rescue course so I can pay it forward some day if something horrific ever happened to a dive buddy.

Edit: Yeah I did something like 150 dives, I was doing too much trying to learn all new equipment in a new site I was not familiar with. I'm pretty sure I set myself up for failure.