Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Hype is not just generally never a good thing, it's almost universally a bad thing.

Think of anything you like, but now imagine everyone telling you that it's the best thing ever and they should drop everything to try and experience it - how can that not lead to inevitable disappointment?

It didn't with top gun 2, probably because things were simple. Expectations took it from a movie about planes to a movie about planes filmed super kickass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

This movie pwned time to check the SA thread oh wow 23 pages!! oh look on page one they liked the funny jokes and the action. Let's check pages 2-23 and ah

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7213069355230235950

This prop guy’s channel is great

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7213188749079973163

The tactile magic of homemade special effects

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

tote up a bags posted:

This movie pwned time to check the SA thread oh wow 23 pages!! oh look on page one they liked the funny jokes and the action. Let's check pages 2-23 and ah

You can play a fun game here, it's called "guess this poster's post history" and I can assure you it's exactly what you think it is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They post in games? Lol wut

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

They post in games? Lol wut

Despicable! Deplorable!!!!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Is the person complaining, can’t even tell.

checkplease fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 24, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vegetable posted:

It’s okay that people don’t like the films you like
I'm usually the one saying exactly this to other people, but in this case, the why of somebody not liking it is super matters, so when somebody doesn't, and every criticism they have is demonstrably untrue, and it's a film all about the American immigrant experience as well as being all about how you should accept your queer kids, yeah. I think it's fine to point out when the reasons they say they don't like a thing don't make a lick of sense.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

I'm usually the one saying exactly this to other people, but in this case, the why of somebody not liking it is super matters, so when somebody doesn't, and every criticism they have is demonstrably untrue, and it's a film all about the American immigrant experience as well as being all about how you should accept your queer kids, yeah. I think it's fine to point out when the reasons they say they don't like a thing don't make a lick of sense.
People like films for very irrational reasons and it’s totally okay that people dislike films in very irrational ways too. If they’re not outright bigoted I think it’s nuts to grill people not liking what you like. It’s unnecessary antagonism. It’s also just against the spirit of the film and of the Daniels. I keep thinking how they’ve had to remind the fanbase to chill out because they were convinced people would flip if they lost. Movies aren’t a religion.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah this is weird because it's my comment about asking my FB feed to tell me why they didn't like it that instigated this discussion so I really kinda have to say that I tried to act in the spirit of the Daniels and I didn't tell anyone that they were wrong and dutifully liked every reply I got, nobody seemed irked by the fact that I asked them and it actually seemed like a few people took pleasure in sharing their opinions of the movie, I didn't grill anyone, I didn't tell them they were stupid for not liking the movie, that part was reserved for this thread really. And yeah I do think that LividLiquid's summation is fair, it's fair to ask why, it's even fair to make some moral judgements based on the art people like, we do it all the time like seriously it's pretty much the raison d'etre of the entire establishment of Something Awful. Our engagement with art is not only personal, of course there's a social component to it otherwise we wouldn't even have movie awards, like come on, it's not inherently a bad thing to tell people that you'd like to hear their reasons for having a negative opinion about something.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
My son and I loved this movie. I think my son watched that scene with the dog about 20 times in a row and almost pee’d his pants laughing the whole time.

My wife couldn’t get past the first hour cause she thought it was really depressing and felt it was boring in the tax office.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vegetable posted:

People like films for very irrational reasons and it’s totally okay that people dislike films in very irrational ways too. If they’re not outright bigoted I think it’s nuts to grill people not liking what you like. It’s unnecessary antagonism. It’s also just against the spirit of the film and of the Daniels. I keep thinking how they’ve had to remind the fanbase to chill out because they were convinced people would flip if they lost. Movies aren’t a religion.
Okay? That's not really anything to do with what I said.

LividLiquid posted:

I think it's fine to point out when the reasons they say they don't like a thing don't make a lick of sense.
Is your argument that nobody gets to point those things out?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My point is irrational admiration goes unquestioned, but irrational dislike draws out the pitchforks. That’s fandom culture. It applies a different standard to the people you don’t agree with. The intellectual inconsistency is the least of it though. Films are emotional and irrational things and I don’t think anyone needs to be targeted for feeling the way they feel, when they’re not clearly being bigoted.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I like the movie for the butt plugs, but I don't like the movie for the dildos (dildoes?).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

carticket posted:

I like the movie for the butt plugs, but I don't like the movie for the dildos (dildoes?).

Dildoves, but only when they are very clean.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
watched it at the cinema so long ago it doesn’t feel like this year.

it was long and messy and I think my favourite part of the movie was the workaholics references. don’t really think it deserves any of this rampant attention but who cares about award shows anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Super late to the party but I was finally able to see this. I really enjoyed the experience, it never seemed to drag despite being nearly 2.5 hours long. I think the surrealist elements were kind of overplayed by critics and reviewers since I didn't find anything especially difficult to follow or explain. Maybe it's a generational thing where everyone Gen-X and up had a harder time connecting with the absurdist qualities that I'm already used to seeing on the internet every day. Went in expecting an exuberant genre pastiche, came away with more of an existentialist domestic drama wrapped up in a few metatextual trappings, but had fun just the same. The 2001 throwback and segment where Evelyn and Joy are just rocks up on a cliff had me laughing out loud. It's easy to see why Michelle Yeoh won all those awards because it's a role that literally only she could play convincingly. Ke Huy Quan's character is really the soul of the film, though. His speech about choosing to be kind in an unfair universe really got to me at the end. It's kind of shocking that he wasn't up for Best Actor, although maybe that worked out for the best since he didn't have to compete against Brendan Fraser and we could all feel good about them both winning. Did it deserve Best Picture this year? I don't know, I don't make the rules, but anything like this that breaks through to sweep the Academy Awards a year after its release instead of some boring rear end war epic or NYT literary fiction adaptation as A-OK with me. It's good!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

exquisite tea posted:

. I think the surrealist elements were kind of overplayed by critics and reviewers since I didn't find anything especially difficult to follow or explain. Maybe it's a generational thing where everyone Gen-X and up had a harder time connecting with the absurdist qualities that I'm already used to seeing on the internet every day.

I'm gen X but yeah I think this is a lot of it. Boomers seem to really have a hard time processing "you got butt plugs into my art movie !!"

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
on
the flip side

kind of hmmm at seeing my contemporaries get so hyped with constant buttplug talk like a bunch of naughty children. repressed americans 😒

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
As a late Gen-X (Xennial?) the multiverse stuff didn't phase me. Then again I'm a comic book dork so multiverses is not a confusing thing to me, and IMO you'd think 10 years of MCU would make this concept relatively understandable.

I said it earlier in this thread, but when I saw EEAAO in the theater I thought "That new Dr. Strange movie has the bad luck coming out after this."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm Gen-X and I had no trouble following this movie whatsoever, neither did any of my other friends (all Gen-X or Xllenials).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm Gen-X and I had no trouble following this movie whatsoever, neither did any of my other friends (all Gen-X or Xllenials).

Yeah, I think Gen-X is too low of a cut off. I'm an old Millennial (I guess that's what you mean by Xllenial), and my older brother is a young Gen-Xer, and we both loved it. My mother turned it off about 30 minutes in, and she's usually really open to sci-fi and fantasy (she's the person who got me into Star Wars). She just couldn't get a hold of the concept, said it was too confusing and that she was having too hard of a time trying to understand it to enjoy it.

I'm going to try to get her to try again, but I'm not gonna push it. Maybe I'll do the "parent movie watching" thing where I'll agree to watch it with her and tell her she can pause it and ask me questions whenever she wants lol. Should take about 5 hours.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah that tracks. My boomer parents bounced off this one.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My younger sister didn't seem that plussed when we watched it last Christmas, which struck me as odd as we're children of Asian immigrants.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The movie has a layer of absurdity to it that you have to get through before you reach the heart where all the hard hitting emotional stuff is. Some people just can't do that, they aren't gonna make it past the dildos and whatnot.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Boomers have lead damaged brains, they don't understand absurdity. You show them the internet and they form a cult bc they take it seriously.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I didn't even mean in terms of the absurdity, I meant that several reviews I read said "the plot of this movie is difficult to describe" when I thought you could sum it all up pretty easily in 1-2 sentences.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

I didn't even mean in terms of the absurdity, I meant that several reviews I read said "the plot of this movie is difficult to describe" when I thought you could sum it all up pretty easily in 1-2 sentences.

I think it's not so much that the plot is hard to describe, it's that it's hard to convey to someone who generally doesn't watch that sort of thing why they might enjoy this particular film. Like if my parents saw a description of a movie that said it was about jumping into alternate universes they'd immediately disregard it because they don't usually get into crazy sci-fi like that.

The way to hook them into it would be to explain how the plot supports the themes of the family dynamics and the stuff about kindness and acceptance, etc etc, but it's hard to do that in a few sentences and then when they actually sit down to watch the movie they're gonna have to get through some of the plot before the themes even really show themselves.

My parents did get through it in the end, but they bounced off the first time and then revisited it after the Oscar nominations came out because they realized they'd probably made a mistake.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I'm going to try to get her to try again, but I'm not gonna push it. Maybe I'll do the "parent movie watching" thing where I'll agree to watch it with her and tell her she can pause it and ask me questions whenever she wants lol. Should take about 5 hours.
That's exactly what I did with my boomer mother. She got a lot out of it the way we watched it, but she absolutely needed a lot of it to be explained as we watched.

I'm pretty sure there's a particular kind of context you need for it to all click into place that not everyone has. My mother's a fan of sci-fi and fantasy stuff and is totally fine with fantastical settings, but there's something about the absurd logic of this movie that was difficult for her to grasp at first.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I also think it's possible for the emotional core of the movie to just not connect. My co-worker who is in her early 60s and generally a very astute film-goer recognized the movie's craft and thought it was a fun time, but said she was baffled by other people's emotional response to it and scenes like the rock scene just didn't land for her the way I've seen them land for some other people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RichterIX posted:

I also think it's possible for the emotional core of the movie to just not connect. My co-worker who is in her early 60s and generally a very astute film-goer recognized the movie's craft and thought it was a fun time, but said she was baffled by other people's emotional response to it and scenes like the rock scene just didn't land for her the way I've seen them land for some other people.

Definitely, it's just impossible to find out if it connects with you or not if you turn the movie off after like 20 minutes because all of the emotional haymakers are based on what's established in the first half and delivered in the second half.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7215283107509914923

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vegetable posted:

My point is irrational admiration goes unquestioned,
I'm not sure this is true. I get an equal amount of pushback in film spaces in general and genre spaces in specific whether I'm saying I liked or disliked something a piece of art did.

People having differing tastes in movies isn't news, sure, and it's incredibly irritating to me how we all seem to fall into the well-worn wheel ruts of arguing toward consensus, but I don't think it's off base to question why somebody dislikes a thing when both

A.) Their stated objections are (or nearly are) demonstrably false and
B.) It's a story that features women, queer people, people of color, or any of the categories in question in every "WOKE MOB TAKING OVER MEDIA" Youtube video.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Hype is generally never a good thing especially not for a movie that imo falls into the category of 'genuine art', you have to engage the movie in its own terms, it's rollercoaster and you kind of have to hold on,

I finally watched it last night and I think this happened to me. I spent weeks putting it off because I felt I needed to be mentally prepared, in the zone and such. But I think it is better appreciated as an unexpected gut punch of sensory overload.

What's that old quote? "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Which means I liked it, but I am not gushing about it. That makes me feel like an rear end, because I am totally a Waymond. It's hard to be nice in the face of anger, bullying, being wronged, being hurt. I am glad Waymond was given that purpose. But maybe I am in a weird point in my life in which I can't have a heart-to-heart with people that I want to because they are never, ever going to listen. There will never be a parking lot hug-it-out cry session, which sucks and would not make for a good movie ending.

Anyway, anybody else notice that there are many homages and stylistic inspirations in the film, but almost no overt pop culture references? (The 2001: A Space Odyssey moment is the only big one I can think of.) It's oddly refreshing. But hoo boy get ready for references to this film for a solid 3-5 years.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Does Ratatouille count as pop culture?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Oh yeah, they went so hard into the raccoon version I forgot.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is there a delineation between pop culture reference and doing a homage?

I feel like the Ratatouille sequence is more of a homage, and it also acts as a setup for a fairly decent subversion.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONV4tdyHmII

Of course they didn't use Clair de Lune just because it's "that pretty piano piece used in movies a lot." The film makers had a reason, and I think this video essay's argument is spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

There's an obvious The Matrix homage too between the skill download bit, the bullet stop scene and probably other stuff I'm forgetting. Coincidentally I have to go all the way back to the original Matrix to come up with a movie that just blew me away on first viewing anything like what this movie did to me.