Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

muscles like this! posted:

He also was all the hotdog hand apes because they only had the like one suit. So they just moved him around the set and composited it together.

There is a lot of very dedicated amateur effort in this film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yea that’s funny to read about the suits. I was just listening to an interview where Daniel Kwon talks about how he learned to use after effects to do his own vfx in college, and decided to do the vfx like that with a group of his friends vs a big post studio.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's also funny reading about Swiss Army Man and how Dan Radcliffe tried to do as much as possible himself, which included the scene where Paul Dano rides him around like a jetski.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
What a fuckin' movie

A friend recommended it to me and I'm glad he did. After leaving the theater, I texted him that it was like a Satoshi Kon film with a Marvel budget and a Vonnegut moral. drat.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Re the Chef raccacoonie subplot:

quote:

The best Easter egg of all is that the raccoon is voiced by Randy Newman, the musical king of Pixar. And while Newman might never have recorded a track for Ratatouille in our universe, he did make one for Raccaccoonie. When the Everything Everywhere All at Once soundtrack comes out on April 8, watch out for track 47, a Newman song called “Now We’re Cookin’.”

https://www.vulture.com/2022/03/all-the-raccoon-jokes-in-everything-everywhere-all-at-once.html

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

quote:

And while Newman might never have recorded a track for Ratatouille in our universe, he did make one for Raccaccoonie. When the Everything Everywhere All at Once soundtrack comes out on April 8, watch out for track 47, a Newman song called “Now We’re Cookin’.”

Incredible.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Just keeps getting better.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i thought swiss army man sucked poo poo but will be checking this out as soon as i'm able

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/dunkwun/status/1513634442224447491

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Did anyone's audience get faked out by the The End after Act 1 and have anyone stand up to leave?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Josh Lyman posted:

Did anyone's audience get faked out by the The End after Act 1 and have anyone stand up to leave?

I definitely saw a few phones pulled out and then immediately sheepishly stashed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This was the best fuckin movie I ever saw in my whole life. I’m in awe. Transcendental. If there’s any justice people will be talking about this movie for the next 20 years. Just breathtaking.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boo, Dan Radcliffe was supposed to be in this too but he had a scheduling conflict.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Lost City was better anyways

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Wonder who Radcliffe would have been? One of the jumpers? IRS manager?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Gaius Marius posted:

The Lost City was better anyways

I don't know about that. It was pretty fun too but not the same way as EEA@O.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
This movie was awesome.

Splint Chesthair posted:

And yeah, anyone who has a problem with unflappable optimism is probably going to have a bad time with this one. I'll just say that as someone who has struggled with depression and anxiety, being able to see the good in life despite knowing everything is enviable because the alternative loving sucks.

I feel you 100%. That part had me crying, it felt so good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The movie also had dildo and butt plug fights. Feels like a Stefan bit.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
When the bald headed security guard assumes his fight stance in the final fight scene you see his big floppy wiener and it’s like “did they intend for the floppiness of the wiener to impact the severity of the fight scene or was the stuntman just hanging dong and James Kuan was like “brilliant! Use it!”

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I liked how that fight involved a particularly high number of splits and high kicks, just really hammering his pantslessness home.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Just saw this and holy poo poo it was so loving good. Exactly what I expected and more. The perfect blend of vulgarity silliness and sincerity. I laughed, I Cried.

See it in theaters if you can the vibe was amazing.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Now you too can jump to the best universe:

https://shop.a24films.com/products/hot-dog-hands

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I hope they make butt plug trophies too. I need one for, uh, reasons

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

to put them up your booty hole I assume

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

How did you know??

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

This was an amazing theater experience. This movie gives you an insane, balls to the wall amount of tonal/emotional whiplash between joy, frustration and awkwardness, but it's all earnest and earned. I physically recoiled when Evelyn describes her life as a movie star and that she should have left Waymond.

All the principals are great; I'd never seen Stephanie Hsu in anything before and I was blown away by her performance, especially as regular Joy. Quan is so good in every scene he's in.

The film asks how we defeat nihilism, and the answer is plain, simple kindness.

My favorite Easter egg that might not be an Easter Egg: I don't speak Chinese, but I could have sworn I heard Gong Gong call Evelyn Shu Lien as her Chinese name, which was the name of the character she played in CTHD.

Movie of the year, and probably high on my all time list. I can't wait to see it again.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

hiddenriverninja posted:

The film asks how we defeat nihilism, and the answer is plain, simple kindness.

And it's true, too. This film resonated with me in such a real way.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
The rest of the movies of 2022 are gonna have to work real, real hard for this not to be my film of the year (all years? Possibly!). I laughed, I cried, it was exactly the movie I needed to see in my life now. And just in time for tax season, too!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I absolutely love how this little $40mil movie came out smack dab in the middle of the giant Multiverse tentpole craze with the MCU and now DCEU and their narrative interpretation of corporate mergers and absolutely sets the bar extremely high and blows poo poo like Loki out of the water(and I loved Loki).

Sam Raimi has some stiff competition this year.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

I don’t think EEAAO multiverse has much to do with MCU multiverse. They’re using the same borrowed concept from physics but employing it for entirely different ends. Apples to (rotten) oranges.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gat drat I hope there is a big rear end making of the movie book for this. I was absolutely blown away at how good this is. I need to see it again asap.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Eggnogium posted:

I don’t think EEAAO multiverse has much to do with MCU multiverse. They’re using the same borrowed concept from physics but employing it for entirely different ends. Apples to (rotten) oranges.

Well yes that is fairly obvious. Point being there's an edge to the inventiveness of how they incorporate the multiverse into the action scenes and narrative that outshines most of what they do in the tentpoles. As fun and nostalgia bait cool as all this multiverse stuff is, youd be kidding yourself if you didnt recognize theres an element of obvious big studio merger influence as to the why and how. For DC its some sad attempt to fix their gently caress ups with the start of their film universe. All of this reflects on the screenplays. My point being this movie is free of that and it shows, a lot, and the genre is better off for it then strictly being dominated by Marvel and soon DC. This movie is generally very much part of the current Hollywood zeitgeist but also absolutely shatters through it. With $40mil. It is absolutely fair to compare them. The Russos were even producers on this movie.

I say this as someone who enjoys and is excited for all the comic book movie multiverse poo poo Im just so absolutely elated they took this very currently popular concept and made something this good with it before its been completely run into the ground by Marvel and DC.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Eggnogium posted:

Daniels’ turned down Loki and directed this instead.

This film was also produced by the Russo bros

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

I think it’s like comparing Chef and Halloween. Yes, both are exploring uses of kitchen knives but for entirely different purposes so it’s not that deep a comparison. EEAAO is in the tradition of Blind Chance, Run Lola Run, and other movies that explored how choices impact our fates through the narrative device of a multiverse well before the MCU even existed.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
In one interview i heard, the Daniels talked about how their idea for this movie came from seeing how fractured the internet felt with all its little communities and the chaos that happens when the different groups clashed. So the multiverse is a tool to look at not only the personal choices and family dynamics, but also how divided the world can feel.

I guess we will have to see how Raimi uses it. I assume it will be used at least to introduce new characters and make various ones fight each other, but maybe they will explore some interesting ideas too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s gonna be for cameos mostly. But I’m sure it’ll have some fun rear end Raimi angles

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Waking up in a dreamy haze from a long nights sleep and the first thought I had waking up was “it got lost in the chaos of the ‘escape the IRS’ scene but Evelyn explaining Racacoonie and everyone, audience and characters, all having the same moment where we think Evelyn is misremembering the popular film “Ratatouille” and that subsequent payoff were nuclear-level gags that both subvert and give in to your audience expectations at once, an astonishing piece of meta-adaptive screenwriting.

Also, did anyone else not even notice it was Jamie Lee Curtis until the credits rolled? Everyone is acting their pants off in this flick but her physicality in this role was phenomenal, she was LOVING it! She disappeared into the roll, and I bet that was really her in the “and now I’m standing up straight and I’m really tall and in great shape” sequence.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

Eggnogium posted:

I mean, hell, Rick and Morty brought multiverse silliness into mainstream consciousness like what, 8 or 9 years ago? Marvel doesn't own the concept of multiple realities, they just grew and reached a point where they finally have to acknowledge it as part of its own comic book history (and to be able to continue writing movies after the whole Infinity Stone arc).

This movie was really good, btw. Saw it yesterday on a whim (but in kind of a lovely theater), and I fully intend to see it again in a better theater very soon.

Lifepuzzler fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 14, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
DC comics has been doing a multiverse in mainstream comics since 1985, and Star Trek even further back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bust Rodd posted:

DC comics has been doing a multiverse in mainstream comics since 1985, and Star Trek even further back.

DC had been doing it since 1961 with their first Jay Garrick/Barry Allen Flash crossover.