Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Shut up about The Matrix Resurrections.

Showtime is playing movies that were nominated for Academy Awards right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pretty sure if Evelyn let Joy drive away, Joy would’ve killed herself that night

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

honestly haven't seen it, it looked bad

Stellar take, champ.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey remember when Tarantino exploded onto the scene and everyone tried to ape his slick dialogue criminal capers

What kinds of Daniels copycats can we expect in two years

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Mcu

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Twee family films with random fantasy elements.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I just wonder how many people will seek out the Daniels' other movies now.

"Ohh, this one has the Harry Potter kid in it!..." :stare:

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Twee family films with random fantasy elements.

Are butt blogs twee? What does twee even mean?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Nothing more twee than dildo fighting, it is known.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

silvergoose posted:

Obviously bad auto correct or whatever, but the media that EEAAO reminded me most of upon watching was the rapid fire resets episode of The Good Place.

EEAAO reminded me of The Good Place as a whole, using goofy jokes to explore deep and emotional themes by the end.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Tequila25 posted:

EEAAO reminded me of The Good Place as a whole, using goofy jokes to explore deep and emotional themes by the end.

I really have to give The Good Place another try. I bailed early in the first season when it seemed like a silly but forgettable show. But I've heard about the season 1 twist, and what they do later in the show, and that all sounds amazing, so I really want to give it another go.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

I really have to give The Good Place another try. I bailed early in the first season when it seemed like a silly but forgettable show. But I've heard about the season 1 twist, and what they do later in the show, and that all sounds amazing, so I really want to give it another go.

I know exactly the show you were worried it would become but it's super impressive for a) never settling into a formula and b) somehow never dropping the ball despite shifting more or less constantly.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The last episode may make you cry as much as this movie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh hey Swiss Army Man is on HBO Max

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Great movie

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Swiss Army Man was the perfect movie to watch while extremely baked during my stoner phase

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I really think that movie launched Daniel Radcliffe's career.

E: Think about it. Did he really do anything of note before this movie? And after it? Guns Akimbo, Weird, probably other excellent movies.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
6 minutes in and I’ve already laughed out loud

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

i'm also impressed with the sea of high budget films, this was made under 20mil

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Halfway through. Incredible.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

there's not a lot of movies like Swiss Army Man lmao

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Didn’t quite stick the landing, but the journey was good

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah but love ending as manny shoots off again

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Paul Dano & Daniel Radcliffe should do more buddy movies.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

My stupid fantasy to have a friend who hasn't seen neither Your Name nor EEAAO and they would love both and we do a double feature evening. Total happy sad cry fest 2023.

Also lol I can't wait for studio heads to greenlight every 'everyperson in a multiverse' for the rest of our natural life spans until we all curse the bagel

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The prop master is posting a bunch of clips on tiktok, can’t remember if these were on the Blu-ray or not

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7211017628398275882

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7211164360188693806

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7211019368216595758

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 17, 2023

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

thrawn527 posted:

Trust me when I say it goes places. It’s a far more intelligent show than you would think

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

the raccoon is better than any of the cgi animals in the disney remakes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

GateOfD posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7200299110346280235

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

GateOfD posted:

https://twitter.com/Tormny_Pickeals/status/1635122779954749441

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

GateOfD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_02ucDDEBpg
Werner Herzog demanded they keep the puppet & he was right.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Apocalypse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_02ucDDEBpg
Werner Herzog demanded they keep the puppet & he was right.

I think his refusal to do alternate takes for a potential CGI Grogu saved that show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmfao

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Was the Raccacoonie that was auctioned off the full animatronic one? If so, from that clip, it looks like $90k may have been a deal.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

No fooling, I was pretty psyched for the Doctor Strange sequel movie before seeing EEAAO and when I finally did, was really let down by it. Like, outside of the multiverse jump scene, we only have really two alternate universes and they're nothing special, nothing like Hot Dog Fingers Universe or Rock Universe.

carticket posted:

E: Think about it. Did he really do anything of note before this movie? And after it? Guns Akimbo, Weird, probably other excellent movies.

I think he played a wizard kid at some point, early in his career. Must have been forgettable.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

carticket posted:

I liked him in those hobbit movies.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Young Freud posted:

No fooling, I was pretty psyched for the Doctor Strange sequel movie before seeing EEAAO and when I finally did, was really let down by it. Like, outside of the multiverse jump scene, we only have really two alternate universes and they're nothing special, nothing like Hot Dog Fingers Universe or Rock Universe.

I enjoyed it enough, but I also just wanted to appreciate the Raimi-ness of it.

I was talking to my neighbor about it, she hated it and has never seen a Sam Raimi movie so she just kept being like "why does movie look like this? Why would someone direct a movie this way?"

Young Freud posted:

I think he played a wizard kid at some point, early in his career. Must have been forgettable.

Oh yeah, I think that was the first Troll movie.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Baron von Eevl posted:

I was talking to my neighbor about it, she hated it and has never seen a Sam Raimi movie so she just kept being like "why does movie look like this? Why would someone direct a movie this way?"

Yeah by far the most interesting thing about this movie to me is the people who hate it.

Like, the movie is brilliant, it's post-Marvel, post-Matrix Kurt Vonnegut, there's nothing in it that isn't brilliant.

But a lot of film people just *hate* it. I really want to understand why. It isn't just the maximalism, the same people often love Luhrmans Elvis. Is it the crass humor? Can people really just not handle potty jokes in their art?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah by far the most interesting thing about this movie to me is the people who hate it.

Like, the movie is brilliant, it's post-Marvel, post-Matrix Kurt Vonnegut, there's nothing in it that isn't brilliant.

But a lot of film people just *hate* it. I really want to understand why. It isn't just the maximalism, the same people often love Luhrmans Elvis. Is it the crass humor? Can people really just not handle potty jokes in their art?
My guess is the "flavor" mismatch between "goofy kungfu fights between improbable fighters' and "actual, serious, philosophical perspectives on reality.

e: the Matrix had this mix too, but all the karate fights were in the Matrix ("well, that's OK, it's not quite reality is it") and everything had a more sleek and simpler aesthetic, as well as everyone being dour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I meant Dr Strange 2, which was like fine but certainly not brilliant. She just didn't get all the Dutch angles and why there was a deadite and poo poo.