Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I think his refusal to do alternate takes for a potential CGI Grogu saved that show.

I think if you have Herzog on set, you ignore his advice at your own peril. At lest now that he's mellowed out, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nessus posted:

My guess is the "flavor" mismatch between "goofy kungfu fights between improbable fighters' and "actual, serious, philosophical perspectives on reality.

e: the Matrix had this mix too, but all the karate fights were in the Matrix ("well, that's OK, it's not quite reality is it") and everything had a more sleek and simpler aesthetic, as well as everyone being dour.

The Matrix didn't have nearly the same level of philosophical or emotional depth. I mean it's there if you look for it (the trans narrative, etc) but it's not up front and it's still primarily an action movie.

This, though -- like, on twitter or facebook every article I see about this film is FILLED with immensely hostile comments. People seem to genuinely hate it.

I wonder if it's primarily that it clashes directly with and even challenges and attacks the conventions people who go see "art house independent" films generally want. There's no handsome British people speaking in clipped accents; there's no long slow dramatic pan shots. It's the exact tonal opposite of something like a Merchant Ivory film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

“Dr strange 2 looks dated”

Yeah that’s why it’s actually kinda cool idiot

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Matrix didn't have nearly the same level of philosophical or emotional depth. I mean it's there if you look for it (the trans narrative, etc) but it's not up front and it's still primarily an action movie.

This, though -- like, on twitter or facebook every article I see about this film is FILLED with immensely hostile comments. People seem to genuinely hate it.

I wonder if it's primarily that it clashes directly with and even challenges and attacks the conventions people who go see "art house independent" films generally want. There's no handsome British people speaking in clipped accents; there's no long slow dramatic pan shots. It's the exact tonal opposite of something like a Merchant Ivory film.
Yeah, I think a lot of the friction is ultimately a difference in the core underlying aesthetic outlook. "Arthouse independent" is kind of its own genre, with its own rules and traditions, and EEAAO sure didn't follow 'em much!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think some people clash with the maximalism of it - it can be pretty overwhelming and if you're not note the mood for that it's like hanging out with someone with really bad ADD issues while you have a headache. I know at least one person who was turned off by the toxic family dynamic and that art the end Evelyn's still pretty awful even if she's making progress.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I enjoyed it enough, but I also just wanted to appreciate the Raimi-ness of it.

I was talking to my neighbor about it, she hated it and has never seen a Sam Raimi movie so she just kept being like "why does movie look like this? Why would someone direct a movie this way?"

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but nowhere near as much as EEAAO. The best parts honestly were the most Sam Raimi bits, like Bruce Campbell Pizza Poppa, Scarlet Witch murking the Illuminati, and the resurrected Zombie Strange taking control of the not-Deadites and I felt, not enough creative multiverse antics and not enough Raimi.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

But a lot of film people just *hate* it. I really want to understand why. It isn't just the maximalism, the same people often love Luhrmans Elvis. Is it the crass humor? Can people really just not handle potty jokes in their art?

All of the above. I think it's the overall tonal chaos, of which the crass humor is a part. It's constant emotional whiplash between absurdly silly or juvenile moments and really sincere character drama, and I think there's a viewer who finds that more alienating than engaging. Especially for an "Oscar-winning drama" about inter-generational conflict, you expect something like Minari that's extremely restrained and reverent. But this movie threads that story into this crowd-pleasing genre exercise with kung fu fights and sci-fi poo poo and, like, a Pixar parody.

I suspect the people who hate this movie probably have a discomfort with "not knowing how they're supposed to feel," and refused to engage with the family drama at its center because of how jarring and self-aware and comedic the other elements ended up being.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

and part its being culturally asian in some aspects and doesn't apologize for it. how dare they.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Ah yes, people who don't like the movie are racist. Of course.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

BB2K posted:

Ah yes, people who don't like the movie are racist. Of course.
I think that's a pretty heavy accusation to make. Can you articulate why you think people who don't like this film are racist?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think some people clash with the maximalism of it - it can be pretty overwhelming and if you're not note the mood for that it's like hanging out with someone with really bad ADD issues while you have a headache. I know at least one person who was turned off by the toxic family dynamic and that art the end Evelyn's still pretty awful even if she's making progress.

Yeah I think this is it, and also if you're cynical to the point that you're not willing to go along with the conceit of the movie you're probably going to find it really saccharine.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You’ve got to be some narcissistic snowflake to hear about racists hating this film and then go “Oh yeah ALL of us are racists, sure.”

The tabloids and right wing media and Twitter are hot with the “Oscars gone WOKE” narrative but no, when we talk about racists we’re obviously referring to you very specifically. Of course.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7198394019565686059

Fuuuuuck I’ve seen this movie half a dozen times now and I never processed this part

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7198394019565686059

Fuuuuuck I’ve seen this movie half a dozen times now and I never processed this part
For those of us who live in India where TikTok is banned, what is the video saying?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

For those of us who live in India where TikTok is banned, what is the video saying?

the scene where evelyn realises that she loves everything about waymond, and is looking at him with love. he turns around confused to see what evelyn is looking at because he did not think she would ever look at him like that

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Talorat posted:

Yeah I think this is it, and also if you're cynical to the point that you're not willing to go along with the conceit of the movie you're probably going to find it really saccharine.
Personally I would applaud a critic who said something like "so I don't buy the premise of the film... but I was willing to suspend disbelief for the movie; and I enjoyed it." It seems that it never goes in that direction, though I also suppose a lot of stuff that isn't oriented for children tends not to take this kind of arc, either.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Hype is generally never a good thing especially not for a movie that imo falls into the category of 'genuine art', you have to engage the movie in its own terms, it's rollercoaster and you kind of have to hold on, it was really obvious to me in the RLM critique that the hype for the movie made them approach it with certain expectations and it's really a movie that defies expectations, it's so much its own thing that if you start approaching it with a perspective of trying to categorize it and critique it you probably aren't going to get the most of it, it's really fortunate though that it seems like a great many people were able to engage with the movie and appreciated what a joyous loving experience it is, an ode to loving what you already have in your life, obviously it's saccharine but so loving what? Imagine is a saccharine song but it's still great and most people don't experience it is a ridiculous communist construction like Ben Shapiro insists it is. Whatever, I'm rambling here.

I think it's a really good movie and I think it even transcends that and kind of asks the audience "do you have any reason not to be kinder to the people in your life?", I think some people are just not comfortable with the question, with the movie passing such obvious judgement about behaviors which are really quite common.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think it's a really good movie and I think it even transcends that and kind of asks the audience "do you have any reason not to be kinder to the people in your life?", I think some people are just not comfortable with the question, with the movie passing such obvious judgement about behaviors which are really quite common.
Yeah, or they'd take it literally ("you are obligated to be with your biological family, who in my case abused me terribly, so I hate it") instead of the general point. (I heard this specific one from a couple of friends who have strong negative reactions to any positive presentation of birth families in films, to be fair)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Hype is generally never a good thing especially not for a movie that imo falls into the category of 'genuine art', you have to engage the movie in its own terms, it's rollercoaster and you kind of have to hold on, it was really obvious to me in the RLM critique that the hype for the movie made them approach it with certain expectations and it's really a movie that defies expectations, it's so much its own thing that if you start approaching it with a perspective of trying to categorize it and critique it you probably aren't going to get the most of it, it's really fortunate though that it seems like a great many people were able to engage with the movie and appreciated what a joyous loving experience it is, an ode to loving what you already have in your life, obviously it's saccharine but so loving what? Imagine is a saccharine song but it's still great and most people don't experience it is a ridiculous communist construction like Ben Shapiro insists it is. Whatever, I'm rambling here.

Hype is not just generally never a good thing, it's almost universally a bad thing.

Think of anything you like, but now imagine everyone telling you that it's the best thing ever and they should drop everything to try and experience it - how can that not lead to inevitable disappointment?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I realized that hype is stupid and if someone raves about it I just go cool yeah happy for ya and watch it on my own terms. I just think “it’s not as good as people said” is a really dull way to discuss a movie because it’s not even coming from a real opinion but other peoples

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I had a friend tell me to go see it ASAP but that was also the first I'd heard of the film, so I was like "sure, trusted friend"

but that may have been early in the Hype Cycle.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I haven't explored the blu-ray yet, but is there a dubbed version of the film? I want to show the movie to someone, but they have dyslexia and I'm concerned the subtitled sections may be difficult. This isn't a preference thing, but an accessibility thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

carticket posted:

So, I haven't explored the blu-ray yet, but is there a dubbed version of the film? I want to show the movie to someone, but they have dyslexia and I'm concerned the subtitled sections may be difficult. This isn't a preference thing, but an accessibility thing.

Back in middle school we made our Japanese friend translate Japanese for us in real time as we watched the bootleg anime tapes his dad brought back from business trips to Japan

This is your chance to read them out loud for your friend

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vegetable posted:

You’ve got to be some narcissistic snowflake to hear about racists hating this film and then go “Oh yeah ALL of us are racists, sure.”

The tabloids and right wing media and Twitter are hot with the “Oscars gone WOKE” narrative but no, when we talk about racists we’re obviously referring to you very specifically. Of course.
This always leaves me confused.

"Somebody somewhere you've never met did a racism."

"gently caress you! I'm not racist!"

Like, okay? I didn't think that before, but I loving *definitely* do now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

carticket posted:

My mum had issues initially because she's terrible at reading subtitles, but while she didn't understand a lot of the chinese dialog she got enough on an idea and followed the movie well enough for the ending to resonate.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7211577819342851374

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7211992474686885163

Pretty good for a 96 year old

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I asked my FB feed to tell me why they didn't like EEAAO and I dunno, it really seems to me like a failure to engage, some people 'liked it' but said it was something like a 'fun little nonsense movie' (???) others said it failed to have any coherent plot (????) some said it was confusing (the movie explains itself constantly, jesus christ), some boomers complained about the multiverse conceit being too far fetched (it's a legit philosophical inquiry what the hell) and that if there are infinite universes nothing matters anyway so who cares about the story (what the gently caress).

Anyway, yeah, it's a good thing this movie is so amazing that so many people DID get it, seems inevitable that of course some folks won't get what's going on especially if they're going to spend half their time on their phones complaining about the movie not meeting their expectations or whatever, really can't explain it, you kind of just have to make it through the first IRS scene for the rollercoaster ride to start, it's like 15 minutes into the movie.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I know someone who didn't like it because it was too much fighting and not enough talking. She's not a huge fan of martial arts fights.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I know someone who didn't like it because it was too much fighting and not enough talking. She's not a huge fan of martial arts fights.
Did you inform her that martial arts fights are badass?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s okay that people don’t like the films you like

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My friend quit watching a short ways in because she didn’t like how they were yelling at each other so much.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Martman posted:

Did you inform her that martial arts fights are badass?
No, I accepted that different people like different things.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sounds like you have some growing up to do

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's ok if people don't like the movie, some people don't like things, i also thought it was ok to ask them why they didn't like it, I didn't argue with them, I just asked, with that said I did find that a lot of the criticism was pretty silly, a bit "cinema sins" in its nature.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I asked my FB feed to tell me why they didn't like EEAAO and I dunno, it really seems to me like a failure to engage, some people 'liked it' but said it was something like a 'fun little nonsense movie' (???) others said it failed to have any coherent plot (????) some said it was confusing (the movie explains itself constantly, jesus christ), some boomers complained about the multiverse conceit being too far fetched (it's a legit philosophical inquiry what the hell) and that if there are infinite universes nothing matters anyway so who cares about the story (what the gently caress).

Yeah, I feel like there's a gap here where people who feel "art movies" and "fun movies" are inherently separate things just reflexively put this in the "fun movie" category in their heads and that somehow prevents them from considering it as art.

Vonnegut ran into the same problem early in his career which is why he stopped marketing himself as a science fiction writer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

and that if there are infinite universes nothing matters anyway so who cares about the story (what the gently caress).

If there were infinite universes and I had a way to move between them, it would probably cause me existential crisis about why I do anything or what anything means.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Skwirl posted:

If there were infinite universes and I had a way to move between them, it would probably cause me existential crisis about why I do anything or what anything means.
They should make a movie about this

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Simply Simon posted:

They should make a movie about this

A pedo made a tv show about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Simply Simon posted: