Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wanted to like this so so bad but most of it didnt click with me at all.
"A pointless swirling bucket of bullshit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ever since Donald Trump got elected on this hell planet swirling thru a hell dimension where it's lucky life even EXISTS, I stopped believing in our institutions and stopped talking to my parents, and that's because of JOJU JABACCA

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Gotta use that family plan and call them.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Short little video on some of their effects. Said they had a team of just 5 do most of their effects.

https://youtu.be/hFFopPPrGiE

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

DC comics has been doing a multiverse in mainstream comics since 1985, and Star Trek even further back.

Obviously, but when I said mainstream, I meant it as in, "practically everyone and their mother knows about it, not just comic geeks." So I would say that one of the most popular recent cartoons, and THE largest movie franchise in recent history qualify.

My only real gripe with EEaaO is that It fails to address, in the face of nihilistic depression, that it doesn't matter how optimistic and kind you are, that there will always be people who are so perpetually negative, troubled, and full of self-loathing that there's literally nothing you can do to help them, and if you persist, then you WILL get dragged down with them. But nobody wants to make a movie about that.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Seeing this for a second time tomorrow. I'm too dumb for this sub forum but it's a really fun and good movie.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lifepuzzler posted:

Obviously, but when I said mainstream, I meant it as in, "practically everyone and their mother knows about it, not just comic geeks." So I would say that one of the most popular recent cartoons, and THE largest movie franchise in recent history qualify.

My only real gripe with EEaaO is that It fails to address, in the face of nihilistic depression, that it doesn't matter how optimistic and kind you are, that there will always be people who are so perpetually negative, troubled, and full of self-loathing that there's literally nothing you can do to help them, and if you persist, then you WILL get dragged down with them. But nobody wants to make a movie about that.

Watch Melancholia op

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lifepuzzler posted:

Feels like Yeoh rebuking her father kinda is a little bit of what you were talking about. You make your best faith effort and throw it all.on the line and show that you are the same as them, if they still can't connect, stick with ppl who can be saved, ie the daughter

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Lifepuzzler posted:

I’m pretty sure this is the whole point of Jamie Lee Curtis entire character in the film, tho. She is the miserable unloveable unreasonable wretch, and in the beginning of the film they really heighten that sense by making her seem like a crotchety inhuman monster. It’s only when Evelyn is pushed to her literal breaking point, when Evelyn has lost everything and her life is crumbling around her, that she and JLC finally CAN see eye to eye, and this is essentially what sets up the climax of the film.

Another interpretation could also be that the miserable loathsome person who drags everyone down around them is Evelyn and the film could generously be read as Evelyn realizing that she is essentially the Bagel, sucking her entire family into her own misery and relegating them to the endless cycle of pain and disappointment that her father put them on, and the climax of the film is Evelyn deciding “no, I am not an evil bagel”.

Not saying either of those things actually addresses your issue, but I think it’s definitely something the movie does try to touch on and say something about.

Edit: actually this is also just the scene where she finally tells her Father “if I’m not good enough for you that’s your problem, I’m proud of myself and my fat gay daughter!” which is pretty much what you’re talking about.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 15, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I am deeply, utterly in love with this film.

The action choreography. The incredible jokes and payoffs. The serious, gripping drama of hot dog fingers world.

I was crying by the end. I don’t think I knew how badly I needed to see such a deeply optimistic and positive movie right now.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Splint Chesthair posted:

And yeah, anyone who has a problem with unflappable optimism is probably going to have a bad time with this one. I'll just say that as someone who has struggled with depression and anxiety, being able to see the good in life despite knowing everything is enviable because the alternative loving sucks.

I’m personally not against enduring optimism in stories, as my issue here is with how it plays out in this film. Like narratives that involve super-geniuses, ones that purport a transcendental ‘Truth’ invite a certain structural scrutiny to their approach. In this case, it’s posited that upon experiencing literally Everything, meaning itself invariably collapses; and it’s the destruction of this absolute symbolic authority that is placed in parallel with Evelyn’s impending collapse of her personal/familial/professional lives.

But knowledge (Who knows it, how we come to know it, how it's utilized, etc.) is never neutral, as Alpha-Joy’s particular nihilist perspective is a result of the Alpha-citizens’ extractive project of the multiverse. That is, the infinite expanse of the multiverse functions as sites of appropriation for the universe-jumpers, but does not offer anything actually transgressive socially/politically/economically.

In turn, the individualistic manner in which the multiverse is conceptualized has the effect of dehistoricizing & depoliticizing the smaller story about an alienated immigrant family struggling to get by in the United States. And what we get in exchange for this abstraction is a call for positive-thinking exercises —but what is overlooked is that blind optimism itself can also be deleterious to individual & social relations.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot spoiler tags.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 15, 2022

Segue
May 23, 2007

I really enjoyed this adaption of The Myth of Sisyphus.

But seriously it was just a fun heartfelt movie that decided to go extra on so much. Some of it didn't land, but a lot of it did and it was refreshing to watch that sort of fun risk-taking in larger budget again.

I think what really sells it is the incredible execution of filmmaking effects. The whole thing looks like a bajllion bucks. And The Cast. Everyone is perfect but Jonathan Ke Quan is the beating heart of a film where Yeoh, Curtis and Hsu all own.

I read somewhere about comparisons to It's a Wonderful Life and it does have that sort of hokey magic to it but with many more butts and ADHD.

The ambition of the movie was so nice. I demand messy, interesting experiments that make me want to reread Camus.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
One interesting point I heard on one podcast (David Chen I think..) was that the movie elevated the Asian American immigrant experience from jokes about smelly food, language issue, or good grades to a world saving event. The multiverse was a tool to present an immigrant story in an exciting new style.

I dunno if I’d call the ending blind optimism. It’s more a things arent so bad (still got taxes) vs things will be perfect. It’s a call for trust in kind actions vs faith in like a natural goodness.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Just thinking about that scene that leads up to the buttplug fight where Evalyn and the mook lose their fighting prowess and just descend into a slapfight. Good gag.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I love how regular Raymond just 'figured out' first jumping from a blind faith reading of Evelyn's terrible explanation. Just took like 1.5 fight scenes for him to connect the dots that doing weird poo poo helps your fighting powers. First time he wakes up after the explanation he was all "Was I Racoon Raymond again?"

I love that doof

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

checkplease posted:

One interesting point I heard on one podcast (David Chen I think..) was that the movie elevated the Asian American immigrant experience from jokes about smelly food, language issue, or good grades to a world saving event. The multiverse was a tool to present an immigrant story in an exciting new style.

I dunno if I’d call the ending blind optimism. It’s more a things arent so bad (still got taxes) vs things will be perfect. It’s a call for trust in kind actions vs faith in like a natural goodness.

Yeah, I think the best readings of this movie are gonna put "immigrant story" first. It's puts the "everything" in a very particular light: Joy specifically becomes the Jobu Tobacky as a result of the pressure put on her by Evelyn. But this isn't general pressure, it's a very particular type of pressure to achieve. Specifically, to achieve by moving up the new country's social hierarchy and thereby justify Evelyn and Waymond's immigrant sacrifices. I know that sort of pressure pretty well, and I'm sure many posters here know it too. My favourite spin on it is Olufemi Taiwo, professor of philosophy, saying his parents get on him for being the wrong kind of doctor. Anyway, the point is is that on this reading, the everything bagel is tied to Evelyn's pressure on Joy to be everything, achieve everything. The threat of nothingness, then, isn't a kind of ideological or robust nihilism, but rather the fact that all of this achievement and ladder-climbing doesn't matter. It's empty status.

Having written this out, I think this also makes sense of the later Joy-Evelyn dynamic. Remember that Joy doesn't want to destroy Evelyn, she wants to make Evelyn see what she sees, and feel the same way as her. I think this can be read as going beyond just a desire for connection. We can take it as Joy wanting Evelyn to acknowledge that this all comes back to Evelyn's desires, and Joy's existence is tied to Evelyn's failed dreams. This is why in the final fight up the stairways, Joy becomes despondent. Evelyn is making contact with all of her own possibilities, she's achieving her own ambitions. This doesn't help or assuage Joy because Evelyn is still living through Evelyn's ambitions. The reconciliation doesn't just come from Evelyn accepting Joy, but from Evelyn accepting Joy living completely apart from her.

The ending, then, isn't blind optimism. After all, Waymond's point is that his optimism isn't blind. That's why we've got the eye motif, going from Waymond sticking the googly eyes on the laundry bag ("I thought it would be happier there") to Evelyn applying one of those googly eyes as a third eye. Rather, it's a solution to meaninglessness: if things really are meaningless, then we might as well pursue happiness. The hierarchies are ultimately nothing, so what we ultimately have is each other, and since those connections are what we have they are worth preserving. This gives us one of the core arcs of the movie: Evelyn coming to accept her journey of moving to the US not because the US let her follow her dreams of becoming rich and famous and successful, but because it was part of escaping her parents' control and creating valuable connections Waymond and Joy.

Dunno. Something like that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea it's not about optimism, it's about embracing love and showing grace.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah, I think the best readings of this movie are gonna put "immigrant story" first. It's puts the "everything" in a very particular light: Joy specifically becomes the Jobu Tobacky as a result of the pressure put on her by Evelyn. But this isn't general pressure, it's a very particular type of pressure to achieve. Specifically, to achieve by moving up the new country's social hierarchy and thereby justify Evelyn and Waymond's immigrant sacrifices. I know that sort of pressure pretty well, and I'm sure many posters here know it too. My favourite spin on it is Olufemi Taiwo, professor of philosophy, saying his parents get on him for being the wrong kind of doctor. Anyway, the point is is that on this reading, the everything bagel is tied to Evelyn's pressure on Joy to be everything, achieve everything. The threat of nothingness, then, isn't a kind of ideological or robust nihilism, but rather the fact that all of this achievement and ladder-climbing doesn't matter. It's empty status.

Having written this out, I think this also makes sense of the later Joy-Evelyn dynamic. Remember that Joy doesn't want to destroy Evelyn, she wants to make Evelyn see what she sees, and feel the same way as her. I think this can be read as going beyond just a desire for connection. We can take it as Joy wanting Evelyn to acknowledge that this all comes back to Evelyn's desires, and Joy's existence is tied to Evelyn's failed dreams. This is why in the final fight up the stairways, Joy becomes despondent. Evelyn is making contact with all of her own possibilities, she's achieving her own ambitions. This doesn't help or assuage Joy because Evelyn is still living through Evelyn's ambitions. The reconciliation doesn't just come from Evelyn accepting Joy, but from Evelyn accepting Joy living completely apart from her.

….

Dunno. Something like that.

I like this, makes sense. Evelyn sees the versions of herself that didn’t leave her dad, the singer, movie star, blind child. But she comes to terms with her own decision to leave finally at the end. Key though is she doesn’t just let joy leave off into the bagel like her dad did with her. She tells joy to live her life, but call on that family plan and come back when needed.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Saw it yesterday alone. Going back with the wife today. Such an overwhelming experience!also, the joke of "what if I put everything on a bagel, every breed of dog, every emotion, poppy seeds, sesame seeds and salt" is hugely underrated

Borscht fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 16, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Give Ke Huy Quan every award

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

This was the Anti-Cats movie the world needed.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

He also was all the hotdog hand apes because they only had the like one suit. So they just moved him around the set and composited it together.

That's amazing because I had thought that was a licensed bit from 2001: A Space Odyssey just with added hot dog finger VFX. The Daniels really capture the film composition and texture of the scenes they're referencing, like the ape sequence or the grainy Hong Kong slow-mos when they go to the Evelyn Martial Arts universe

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
In The Mood For Love has a definite vibe and they captured it well.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I can’t believe it looks so good on such a tiny budget! 25M doesn’t go very far these days.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Saw this today and loved it. It just feels like the perfect movie, it does everything right and it does so much of it, and it's all so good. It's filmed beautifully, the moment-to-moment writing is great, the fight scenes are incredible, it's extremely loving funny and also extremely heartfelt, and it has magic powers and it's telling a larger metaphorical story and... it's just everything a good movie can be.

Cannot express enough how much I love the concept of doing weird poo poo to activate your powers, what a clever concept, there's just endless material there. I can't believe that what I thought was a cheap 'lol her trophies look like buttplugs' joke turned into that.

God the hotdog fingers universe made me so viscerally uncomfortable! It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for the biting and oozing. The payoff of piano feet was worth it though.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

movie critics at The New Yorker are my favorite ones to read (particularly Richard Brody and Anthony Lane), I can always count on them to challenge my views on a movie or completely annoy the hell out of me:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/everything-everywhere-all-at-once-reviewed-theres-no-there-there

Richard Brody at The New Yorker posted:

The movie world is awash in fantasy, and that’s a problem, because fantasy is the riskiest genre. There’s no middle ground with fantasy because there’s no ground at all. Even a middling work of realism inevitably rests on experience, observation, and knowledge, but a mediocre fantasy is a transparent emptiness, a contrivance of parts that aren’t held together by the atmosphere of social life. It’s the triple axel of cinema: when successful, fantasies are glorious, seemingly expanding the very nature of experience by way of speculative imagination. Some of the best movies of recent years—“The Future,” “Us,” and “The French Dispatch”—are fantasies, and their artistic success is doubled by their very resistance to the corporatization of fantasy in the overproduction and overmanagement of superhero franchises. But a failed fantasy is a wipeout, and that’s the simplest and clearest way to describe “Everything Everywhere All at Once,” a new film (opening Friday) by Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert (a duo called Daniels). Were it not for the appealing and charismatic presence of its cast, it would leave nothing but a vapor puff that disperses when the lights go on.

The emptiness of “E.E.A.A.O.” is all the more disheartening inasmuch as its fantasy has a substantial and significant real-world premise, one that gets a flip and generic treatment for the sake of some neat-o special effects. “E.E.A.A.O.” is the story of a married couple, Evelyn Wang (Michelle Yeoh) and Waymond Wang (Ke Huy Quan), who were born and raised in China and came to the United States as adults. They own a laundromat in the Simi Valley, in California, and have trouble, business and personal. The laundromat is losing money and Evelyn and Waymond are growing distant from each other; she is demanding and peremptory, and he is mild-mannered and whimsical. Her father (James Hong), called only Gong Gong (“maternal grandfather”), is visiting from China, and the couple try to maintain a cheerful front to convince him that they’ve made a success of life in America. Their daughter, Joy (Stephanie Hsu), is a recent college graduate at loose ends; when her mother introduces Joy’s girlfriend, Becky (Tallie Medel), to Gong Gong as her “good friend”—i.e., she hides from him that Joy is queer—this failure instantly rips the mother-daughter relationship apart.

The Wangs’ biggest and most pressing problem is taxes: they’re being audited by the I.R.S. At their appointment, the auditor, Deirdre (Jamie Lee Curtis), is stern and aggressive; she threatens to seize the Wangs’ business and personal assets, giving them until six that evening to reorganize and refile their claims. But Waymond has already given Evelyn a way out: in the elevator, he transforms into someone like himself, who’s not exactly himself, and gives Evelyn a set of instructions—on the back of a divorce filing, no less—that will enable her to enter the so-called multiverse, the realm of alternate lives that she could have lived.

What’s in a name? Sometimes, all one needs to know. The auditor’s full name is Deirdre Beaubeirdra (yes, she was named according to “The Name Game”), which exemplifies the arbitrary and sophomoric whimsy that runs through the film and governs its plot and tone. The portal to the multiverse is a janitor’s closet down the hall from Deirdre’s desk. The multiverse launch involves switching shoes to the wrong feet, special scans, special earbuds, whirlwind video effects, a murder in the closet, a punch in Deirdre’s nose, a call for security, and a fight with security in which Waymond uses his fanny pack as a lethal weapon. Despite the chaos, the multiverse very quickly emphasizes one road not taken: Evelyn, instead of leaving China with that “silly boy” (as her father calls Waymond), stays home and becomes a movie star in martial-arts films. And why not; there’s poignancy and irony built into the idea. If only Kwan and Scheinert had stuck with it and developed it. Instead, Evelyn’s alt-career merely crops up intermittently amid a plethora of other transformations—a surfeit of caprices that attempt to conceal the movie’s hollowness.

Jobu Tupaki, a character of many costumes who has one constant. It’s as embarrassing to say it as it is to watch onscreen: she says that she “put everything on a bagel,” and she means not the flavor but the universe itself—therefore “the bagel becomes the truth,” and the truth is that “nothing matters.” (Yes, she both wears a symbolic bagel on her head and emblazons a giant rotating one at the altar of her lair.) There’s an alternate universe in which Evelyn and Deirdre are lovers, with fingers as hot dogs squirting mustard and ketchup; one in which no life existed and Evelyn is a rock on a cliff; one in which Evelyn turns into a piñata dangling from a tree; another in which security guards get their kung-fu power from trophies stuck in their asses. And the realms interact, so Evelyn fights in the I.R.S. office with these alternate tools, whether martial arts or an egg that she’d once flung as a Benihana-style chef.

Yet, through it all, the dual stories—the couple fights to save their business and their home, and the same couple realizes different lives in China—remain basic; instead of unfolding over two-plus hours, they merely lurch ahead in plot-point-y snippets. It’s here that the definition of imagination as an artistic quality emerges—negatively. Kwan and Scheinert don’t envision in detail the daily lives of a small-business owner in California or of a celebrity in China. The stories suggest an ample array of poignant and nuanced possibilities, which go unrealized. They’d be all the stronger with a sense of subjectivity, and of alternate worlds as they leak consciousnesses into one another—not just how a laundromat owner imagines life as a martial-arts star, but also vice versa, and whether and why that might even seem preferable. (Spoiler alert: when it does happen, it only delivers a deflating, generic dash of sentimental bathos. There’s no place like home.)

Kwan and Scheinert show little interest in the experiences of their characters. Evelyn is written as a vague outline whose substance is provided by the presence, the performance, and the identity of Michelle Yeoh. The other characters offer their actors even less to work with. The C.G.I. conjures rapid-fire flashes of alternate lives, but not the pathos of feeling one of them slip away. Instead of personality, the characters have problems to solve; instead of traits, they have single-factor backstories; instead of subjectivity, they spew psychobabble and aphorisms borrowed from a superhero’s whiteboard quest. For all the gyrating action, the movie lacks physicality; the characters don’t seem to be in one another’s presence, their feet don’t touch the ground. The template for “E.E.A.A.O.” isn’t the observation of life from the amplified perspective of imagination; it’s the factitious world of superheroes, adorned with the action of martial-arts movies and the dazzle of effects and gaudy costumes, filled with undergraduate late-night epiphanies and sophomoric humor.

When Waymond expounds the rules of the multiverse to Evelyn, there might as well be a flashing sign reading “Exposition” over the screen, because there’s an absolute absence of awareness that two characters are having a meaningful conversation. It’s exactly such scenes that provide a litmus test of imagination and prove its power to illuminate reality—creating a form to give experience an original and singular identity. Instead, Kwan and Scheinert deprive their characters of identity; the protagonists are universalized, stripped of history and culture, lacking any personal connection to the wider world. With its bland and faux-universal life lessons that cheaply ethicalize expensive sensationalism, the film comes off as a sickly cynical feature-length directorial pitch reel for a Marvel movie.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

stopped reading when they praised the french dispatch

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

New Yorker posted:

What’s in a name? Sometimes, all one needs to know. The auditor’s full name is Deirdre Beaubeirdra (yes, she was named according to “The Name Game”), which exemplifies the arbitrary and sophomoric whimsy that runs through the film and governs its plot and tone.

New Yorker posted:

Joy becomes Evelyn’s superhero nemesis, Jobu Tupaki, a character of many costumes who has one constant. It’s as embarrassing to say it as it is to watch onscreen: she says that she “put everything on a bagel,” and she means not the flavor but the universe itself—therefore “the bagel becomes the truth,” and the truth is that “nothing matters.” (Yes, she both wears a symbolic bagel on her head and emblazons a giant rotating one at the altar of her lair.)

These two are the parts I find most agreeable. The movie's tone is incredibly cringey. Every time the movie starts to go on a path leading to something interesting, it pulls out more embarrassing nonsense like the bagel or the butt plugs. I'd consider this a masterclass in poor screenwriting, it's obvious how the movie's going to end from the first ten minutes, but the movie still feels totally rudderless. You could cut ninety percent of the film and still end up in the same place, it serves only to cram more godawful "humor" in your face. Compare it to Millenium Actress which also sees a woman put into different roles as a means of exploring her character, that movie though has each of the roles come to mean something for Chiyoko, and all them come back in an explosive fashion for the finale as she rushes through all the stages of her life. Millenium Actress never loses sight of it's goal, and pushes forward relentlessly, Everything in comparison lacks any and all urgency or momentum. Early on it becomes obvious that Evalyn's problems aren't nearly as disastrous as she perceived them as, and her daughter is also defanged as a threat instantly. Ironically enough this leaves everything feeling totally listless and meaningless. It then tries to patch over this with hollow overexuberance, like Marge trying to get Bart to Krump with her.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The New Yorker guy is a crusty bitch and I don’t think he should be allowed to watch movies ever again

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gaius Marius posted:

These two are the parts I find most agreeable. The movie's tone is incredibly cringey. Every time the movie starts to go on a path leading to something interesting, it pulls out more embarrassing nonsense like the bagel or the butt plugs. I'd consider this a masterclass in poor screenwriting, it's obvious how the movie's going to end from the first ten minutes, but the movie still feels totally rudderless. You could cut ninety percent of the film and still end up in the same place, it serves only to cram more godawful "humor" in your face. Compare it to Millenium Actress which also sees a woman put into different roles as a means of exploring her character, that movie though has each of the roles come to mean something for Chiyoko, and all them come back in an explosive fashion for the finale as she rushes through all the stages of her life. Millenium Actress never loses sight of it's goal, and pushes forward relentlessly, Everything in comparison lacks any and all urgency or momentum. Early on it becomes obvious that Evalyn's problems aren't nearly as disastrous as she perceived them as, and her daughter is also defanged as a threat instantly. Ironically enough this leaves everything feeling totally listless and meaningless. It then tries to patch over this with hollow overexuberance, like Marge trying to get Bart to Krump with her.
lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Something being a serious problem doesn’t mean you can’t explore it in a silly way or talk meaningfully about it with a silly hat on. I think this movie succeeds at being silly while taking itself seriously, and that was part of what they set out to do.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The silly humor is a vital component of the movie. The earnestness is the glue that holds the movie together, and the vulnerability that comes with it is the reason the emotional beats land so hard.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The movie would fall apart without the silly, but in my estimation that's because it's half of the entire central conflict. Waymond's kung fu is kindness; he fights the ennui and grinding disappointments of life with cookies and googly eyes instead of silently stewing in resentment and self loathing like Evelyn does. Their business is failing, their marriage is coming apart, their daughter is suicidal; the movie would be a depressing-rear end slog without the silly; that's Evelyn. It's no coincidence that Alpha Waymond introduces the multiverse butt-plug sitting lip balm chewing madness to Evelyn, and that Jobu Tabaki, being their daughter, uses those powers to metaphysically destroy things like Evelyn does emotionally. She's young and doesn't understand WHY her father is like that. Evelyn finally learns this at the end and dons the third-googly-eye for a reason. That imagery isn't wasted.

Edit:. I guess it's fair if someone doesn't find it entertaining. I just didn't get the feeling that it was frivolous at all.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 17, 2022

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
This thread has lots of example of the great writing. Millennium Actress is very good. Everything is also very good. Id imagine Daniels were influenced some by Satoshi Kon as they have mentioned Every Frame a Painting as a source for their film making.

I’m never a fan of the idea of cringey. Is this a humor that doesn’t connect with some? The movies humor not landing I get though. It’s a definite style choice, like Swiss army Man, and may not work for all. And the humor and silly style is definitely important for this film.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
It’s okay for serious things to coexist with stupid and silly things because motherfuckers that’s life

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Conrad_Birdie posted:

It’s okay for serious things to coexist with stupid and silly things because motherfuckers that’s life

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It is kind of hard to read that as anything other than a general objection to absurdism.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

???

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Swiss army man is one of my favourite movies ever so I went in to see this yesterday knowing nothing at all about it

Extremely disappointed. Felt like Scott Pilgrim in the worst possible way. Every joke that was mildly funny had to be beaten into the ground, and every plot point had to be overly explained. It's like Daniels had this idea, then to get enough money to fund it they had to make it more Marvel-y

Loved the dad tho, he rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A Vast Pointless Gyration of Radioactive Rocks and Gas in Which You Happen to Occur is a companion book to the film with fiction and an alternate opening.